Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ninja hoard spells.

AuthorMessage
Hero
Sep 08, 2008
gtarhannon wrote:
I am disappointed in KI regarding the release of this pack as well. I couldn't put my finger on why at first, but I think I have it sorted now. It doesn't bother me that people have the option of essentially buying their way through the game. This is a perfectly valid solution for many of life's issues if you have the resources. It is in fact the reason we have the phrase, "throw money at it". It doesn't in any way upset PvP either because after all, you can't buy skill. It doesn't bother me that kids might throw their money down the drain on packs trying to get a "cool" item. Personally, I have used it as a teachable moment for my children, explaining the risks, the consequences, and that they would have to use their own savings/allowance for the chance at it. It did not encourage gambling, but rather it has made them more averse to wasting their money on this sort of thing in the future. What bothers me about this pack is the precedent being set.

These new spells are not item cards from gear or a pet, nor are they simple one time use treasure cards. These are trained spells which are granted regardless of rank, training points, or even primary school of magic. Essentially, the door has now been opened to paying money for a chance at learning any spell from any school, at any level, and without any training points. There has been a lot of talk in threads related to this topic which is aimed at minimizing the value of these spells. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think these spells will be a huge game changer. However, I think its disingenuous to compare these spells to item cards or treasure cards. These spells can have colossal or extraordinary applied which puts their potential per pip significantly ahead of other options. Please don't try to convince everyone that being able to have 4 or 5 815 damage monstrous ninja pigs in your side deck isn't a significant advantage in low level pvp.

I have never taken issue with gear, pets, or treasure cards because they are inherently limited. An item card can only be used once until reshuffled. A treasure card can only be used once period. The entire notion of trained spells awarded without regard to training points, rank, or even school of magic, however, just doesn't sit right with me. If that's what is to become of this game, then what's the point? How long will it be until KI starts making packs which allow a chance at any three random spells already in the game? We could call it KI's weekly hoard pack lotto, after all some lucky dog will win it right? Who wouldn't want a shot at school "exclusive" spells like balance blade or stun for the price of a hoard pack?

It isn't the gambling aspect that bothers, not even one bit. What bothers me is that this leads to breaking down all of the long held rules for how you "build" a character. As a customer, I am disappointed in this pack. I think KI needs to know that heading down this road leads to a place where I can't see continuing my family's subscriptions not because it is unethical or immoral, but because it will make for a game that simply isn't fun for more than a week or two. Just ask yourself how many wizards you would bother to make if you knew you could essentially buy any spell from any school at any time? How many pointless quests would you endure for training points if you could just buy it? How long, exactly, would you continue to play this game should KI continue down this road?

Gtarhannon. You explained everything just the way I tried to explain it in all my replies to the posts of similiar nature.

You conveyed my feelings perfectly, in every way, with just the right words to convey them. This is the post that needs to be a stickied response towards KI's spell additions to packs.

Thank you so much.