Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Disappointed in KI

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
I know people who don't agree with getting a speeding ticket for going ten miles over the speed limit, but it doesn't change the fact that they were speeding.

I will brake it down for you, below all all facts not opinions:

I noticed we have someone basically trolling this thread and would like to help them understand some facts that the majority of us already know to be facts.

Below are a simple list of facts and proof of said facts.

1.) Wizard101 actively promotes/advertises itself as a kid safe and family safe game to play.
Proof: commercials, their website, etc.

2.) Wizard101 sells card packs that offer a chance at ultra rare and rare items/spells.
Proof: The games crown store, the website, advertisements.

3.) Spending money for a chance at anything is in fact, by definition gambling.
Proof: Just look up the definition of gambling.

4.) Kids play Wizard101
Proof: Wizard101 site, wizard101 game, ask a kid if they play wizard101.

If you are fine with gambling that is your decision, hopefully as an adult. The current majority of this country (USA) does not want our children gambling in any way. Feel free to consult a Child psychologist on the issue of child indoctrination in to gambling.

I have offered proof and sources for research. If anyone has any proof, sources, or studies showing otherwise please respond. I am very interested in reading any REAL science or fact.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
linnie1222 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
tabby714 wrote:
I am quite good at the spells I do have, I dont need these new spells to enjoy this game and if you think you do, then did you really enjoy the game to begin with? Or are you just complaining because you want everything for nothing?

You seem to miss the point. This is not about any one person's playstyle. This is about working for the progress you make in the game, as opposed to buying it. Buying spells in packs, as opposed to earning them in-game, is indeed "getting something for nothing." Or rather, getting something for money as opposed to earning it through questing and (thereby) learning to play better. This is about a business scheme that conflicts with what (some of us) think (or maybe thought) this game was about.

And, you know, people who disagree with you are not necessarily morally flawed (complainers, wanting something for nothing, etc.). They have a point, just as you do. Let's keep on topic. It's not personal.

I am not taking anything personal, nor am I taking this off topic. KI has every right to sell spells in packs, it's their game.

Now, some may not like this, because they don't want to spend cash on spells, they want everything free or part of the subscription they pay for, but these spells will be available as treasure cards if you really have to have them.

I don't see the big whoop t doo people are making on this matter, get a grip.

Wow, you are the one that needs to get a grip. On every topic and thread where people say they don't like pack, you yell at them just because we don't like it. News flash, we don't have to like them and we are allowed to voice it. We do have to agree with you. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other websites for you to go to.

And of course you don't get the big whoop t doo because you have missed what a lot of these posts are talking about. This game is touted as a FAMILY game. Hence the awards catagory it keeps doing well in. If you had kids like these adults do or actually read what they wrote and put yourself in their shoes, you would understand more. If anything you are the one complaining constantly on here that we are ruining the game. Guess what. We are the one's helping KI pay their bills, so of course they want to keep us happy and they want our feedback. Thats how the game changes, good or bad depending on who you are. So please do us all a favor and go get a grip somewhere else.

He was making a post, no reason to go on a evil rampage and flame him in every degree possible, I agree with him. Be polite please. He doesnt need to get a grip.
Guess what, *gasp* He politely expressed his opinion!

Survivor
Dec 06, 2009
darthjt wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
By your logic, everything in this game is a gamble. I'm more concerned about low lvl PvP effects from this.

How is this any different than pets with attack cards? Or treasure cards? Sorry, but these spells will not change PvP at all.

It is different because Pets with attack cards and Treasure Cards CANNOT be further enhanced with a Sun card like Monstrous, Keen Eyes, or Elucidate. The damage-per-pip ratio is distorted with these new PERMANENT spells that are given out by chance; some PVPers will have the advantage of stashing their side deck full of pre-Monstrous'd Goat Monks vs. the PVPers who have regular Goat Monk Treasure Cards in their side deck. Let alone, those who use the Goat Monk Treasures cannot Reshuffle them for a permanent cycle of Goat Monks like the players with Permanent versions can.

Additionally, the original poster is only expressing a very common and heartfelt opinion; when I first started, Wizard101 was not about having an advantage when purchasing from the Crowns Shop. Nowadays, the most *vital* PVP wands (for "standard" survival) are from Hoards Packs. I wouldn't mind it if perhaps there were new spells or wands that cost Arena Tickets to train, for that matter, but when it comes to dishing out some extra Crowns for a *chance* (meaning NOT guaranteed) at a game-changing item or ability, that's where it crosses the line on the business's past integrity.

PVP gear, which was definitely the best gear to have in the past, was earned. It was an advantage you gained through hard work and determination. These Ninja Hoard spells, however, vary in cost, depending completely on someone's luck and income status. Despite how much income you have to spare, however, there is still no guarantee for them. In other words, even someone who works extremely hard for their paycheck (two or three jobs) versus someone with no job may be put at a huge gaming disadvantage if the latter is lucky enough to obtain the spells in one or two purchases, whereas the former could spend nearly $100-200 over a span of a year on the Packs alone. The former had a much greater probability of obtaining the spell due to a bigger budget than the latter, yet is still going to have to carry those Treasure Goat Monks against the lucky purchaser with Reshuffle-advantage.

darthjt, all everyone else is asking for is an open, helpful, and insightful opinion to their post, not an aggressive or piercing reply where you try to debunk every little thing someone says. There is no need to criticize or integrate sarcasm on every response. When you feel like you have been criticized or "trolled" on and that you feel the need to attack back or criticize back, avoid doing so unless it's constructive, lest you want the cycle of banter to continue. I completely understand your point of view because I also cringe when I hear people criticizing the game for its business practices (I've met the Customer Support Manager in-game and have her on my friends list, and empathize/sympathize for KI), but at the same time, I'm keeping my mind open for all opinions, and know (not believe, but know) they have valid points. They are not all "just complaining," but they are expressing their point-of-views honestly.

No one is completely right or wrong, but you have to use more than one argument in order to cover the complexity of this issue. Yes, there is a response to everything, but no, the answers are not all simple as you've displayed. There are so many factors I believe you have overlooked where you are generalizing or summarizing them hastily, without taking into account another poster's background or history as a gamer/with this game -- and, I don't mean "taking into account their Join Date and Number of Posts," but rather how involved they are in the game. I myself am HEAVILY involved with multiple Wizard101 Community Projects (Petnome Project, Ravenwood Radio, PVP videos, etc.), but do not post here often. It's not the QUANTITY of your contributions that matter, but the QUALITY and INTEGRITY. You show that you have over 1,000 posts, but I wonder, how many of those are truly helpful responses versus personal/specific criticism of others? When we count the ones that are truly insightful and lacking of spite on THIS particular thread, the helpful-to-hostile ratio is less than 1:1. THAT is what people are pointing out.

I don't know you, you're right, but I know that your posts are more destructive than helpful to anyone looking for reasonable answers. I am not saying you are a bad person, I am not saying you are intending to be destructive. I am saying that you need to ease up; your passions for the game (and loyalty and love for KingsIsle) are truly recognizable, but your practice of "contributing" to the community are strongly questionable. Please, for the board's sake, understand that people would like to express their opinions and logic without being disrespected.

Thank you,
Kevin

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
I, for one, completely agree with darthjt. Getting baseball or football card packs r jus true same as this, and if u don't want to waste ur money, don't buy 8)

Champion
May 03, 2011
tabby714 wrote:

LOL ... Ok, so your Legedary on this board just means you talk ... a lot. Me with a mere 16 posts what do I know? Talk about judging a book by its cover, read your own words before posting something like that.

You are the one that told me to leave and change to a different message board, me, being Legendary, have more of a right to be here and keep posting than you do, a person of a mere 17 posts now. I was not judging a book by it's cover, if you actually read it properly, I am stating mere facts.

I have opted out of this silly business the last few days, but I don't like being misquoted. I didn't write that comment. But you know, Darth (if I may use the familiar here), you are not the arbiter of this forum. You are free to argue anything you like, of course. But surely you realize that quantity and quality are not commensurate. You have posted many times, certainly--although this may argue for a lack of circumspection on your part rather than any earned moral authority. The people who disagree with you have valid arguments, and you have not successfully refuted them. Hence, this rather unimpressive argument about your number of posts.

I could make your argument much better than you have, and in fewer posts. Rather than saying "shame, shame" on KI's detractors, I would argue something like this:

Everyone should settle down about these spells, because we have no way of knowing exactly how they fit into KI's larger business plan. As fans of this game, people who have invested time and money and, yes, emotional energy into it, I think we owe it to KI to adopt a wait-and-see attitude before jumping to the kind of apocalyptic scenarios Tabby714 and others have conjured up here. As to the gambling aspect, well, that's where we have to simply accept that KI is a business, and business is all about risk. Is it a risk that people will get fed up with the packs and cancel their subscriptions? Yes. But is it a big risk? Probably not. It seems to me that hoard packs are paying pretty well--and let's face it, we ought to be teaching our children the value of moderation. We shouldn't expect KI to do it for us. And as for these threads--well, customer complaints are part of any business. But as a person who loves the game, and (still) trusts the company that made it, I say, let's stop complaining and get back to playing.

See? I didn't offend anyone, get personal, or talk about Shame. And I still made my points. I mean, your points. Of course, I don't really agree with them, but still--I do love a good debate. And good debaters don't get personal, or claim moral authority simply because they have generated a lot of words. They win arguments because they make better use of logic and rhetoric. Try it sometime.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
emperordark wrote:
I know people who don't agree with getting a speeding ticket for going ten miles over the speed limit, but it doesn't change the fact that they were speeding.

I will brake it down for you, below all all facts not opinions:

I noticed we have someone basically trolling this thread and would like to help them understand some facts that the majority of us already know to be facts.

Below are a simple list of facts and proof of said facts.

1.) Wizard101 actively promotes/advertises itself as a kid safe and family safe game to play.
Proof: commercials, their website, etc.

2.) Wizard101 sells card packs that offer a chance at ultra rare and rare items/spells.
Proof: The games crown store, the website, advertisements.

3.) Spending money for a chance at anything is in fact, by definition gambling.
Proof: Just look up the definition of gambling.

4.) Kids play Wizard101
Proof: Wizard101 site, wizard101 game, ask a kid if they play wizard101.

If you are fine with gambling that is your decision, hopefully as an adult. The current majority of this country (USA) does not want our children gambling in any way. Feel free to consult a Child psychologist on the issue of child indoctrination in to gambling.

I have offered proof and sources for research. If anyone has any proof, sources, or studies showing otherwise please respond. I am very interested in reading any REAL science or fact.

I agree 100%, trying to get kids hooked on instruments of gambling is just wrong. Wizard101 is not hit hard by the economy, it is a cash cow with a substantial subsriber list and its people are well paid and many involved in this endeavor are filthy rich. You would think they could afford to be ethical and set an example for our children, but obviously they care more about making money in such a way that they don't.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
tabby714 wrote:

LOL ... Ok, so your Legedary on this board just means you talk ... a lot. Me with a mere 16 posts what do I know? Talk about judging a book by its cover, read your own words before posting something like that.

You are the one that told me to leave and change to a different message board, me, being Legendary, have more of a right to be here and keep posting than you do, a person of a mere 17 posts now. I was not judging a book by it's cover, if you actually read it properly, I am stating mere facts.

I have opted out of this silly business the last few days, but I don't like being misquoted. I didn't write that comment. But you know, Darth (if I may use the familiar here), you are not the arbiter of this forum. You are free to argue anything you like, of course. But surely you realize that quantity and quality are not commensurate. You have posted many times, certainly--although this may argue for a lack of circumspection on your part rather than any earned moral authority. The people who disagree with you have valid arguments, and you have not successfully refuted them. Hence, this rather unimpressive argument about your number of posts.

I could make your argument much better than you have, and in fewer posts. Rather than saying "shame, shame" on KI's detractors, I would argue something like this:

Everyone should settle down about these spells, because we have no way of knowing exactly how they fit into KI's larger business plan. As fans of this game, people who have invested time and money and, yes, emotional energy into it, I think we owe it to KI to adopt a wait-and-see attitude before jumping to the kind of apocalyptic scenarios Tabby714 and others have conjured up here. As to the gambling aspect, well, that's where we have to simply accept that KI is a business, and business is all about risk. Is it a risk that people will get fed up with the packs and cancel their subscriptions? Yes. But is it a big risk? Probably not. It seems to me that hoard packs are paying pretty well--and let's face it, we ought to be teaching our children the value of moderation. We shouldn't expect KI to do it for us. And as for these threads--well, customer complaints are part of any business. But as a person who loves the game, and (still) trusts the company that made it, I say, let's stop complaining and get back to playing.

See? I didn't offend anyone, get personal, or talk about Shame. And I still made my points. I mean, your points. Of course, I don't really agree with them, but still--I do love a good debate. And good debaters don't get personal, or claim moral authority simply because they have generated a lot of words. They win arguments because they make better use of logic and rhetoric. Try it sometime.

If you do know how to read, let me make it simple. Go back through the posts and you will clearly see, that I did not start in on anyone. I was clear and I did post specifics. It was only after being attacked and told to go somewhere else that I retaliated.

I am not sure where you live, but I know where I live and I have the freedom of speech here. I can post as I like within the rules of conduct on the message boards. You don't like how I post, don't read them, some do and agree with me.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
seasnake wrote:
I agree 100%, trying to get kids hooked on instruments of gambling is just wrong. Wizard101 is not hit hard by the economy, it is a cash cow with a substantial subsriber list and its people are well paid and many involved in this endeavor are filthy rich. You would think they could afford to be ethical and set an example for our children, but obviously they care more about making money in such a way that they don't.

Interesting....where did you get KI's profit margins for 2011 or any previous year for that matter? I have never seen Kingsisle reach the Fortune 500.

Finally, if a video game is setting the example for our children, then our family values must have sunk to a new low. You don't learn life lessons from Wizard101, just like you don't attune a moral compass to a Disney movie. It's a family game, simply because the entertainment value by the ESRB rated the game like a "G" rated movie and the parental controls KI put into place to protect kids (including preventing them from buying hoard packs and ever getting addicted to "gambling"!!!!)

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
All people are really saying is that KI is too stupid to make their video game kid-friendly. Seriously? That's how you're acting like right now, which I find really insultive to a company that has been going on since 2008. 4 years of experience guys, I'm pretty sure KI is smarter then all of us combined on making a video game. Check this out:

Wizard101 is interactive, social entertainment… and fun for the whole family!

Wizard101 is a multi-player adventure game designed to be easy-to-learn and fun for kids and adults of all ages. And because the game is designed to encourage social activity and interaction among the players, it’s a great form of entertainment for families. If you have always wondered what types of video games your kids like to play, here’s your chance to find out…and enjoy it!

Wizard101 can be a reward!

Video games can be a lot of fun, and many parents worry their kids will play the games too much. If your kids really like Wizard101 (and we think they will), consider using time in Wizard101 as a reward for doing homework, completing chores, or participating in physical exercise. We think video games are great fun, but they should never be a substitute for the important things in life.

My sayings now:
Is KI trying to harm your children? If your child asks you to go to the casino, then that's how you know that they like gambling. Wizard101 isn't a school that teaches you to gamble, lolz. I have a comment to say:

Even if there is trouble with money, kids will forget about the hoards because of the fun magical experience they will have along their journey to being a powerful wizard.

None and none of you that said this is gambling know what gambling is. 1$ is 500 crowns. 399 divided by 500=0.79$Your child would be paying 0.79 dollars each hoard, which is heck of an amazing price! With the 5$ crowns deal, your child would have about 6 hoards, which is really good. It's cheap, it's fair, and it's suspenseful. Gambling is more of a:
If I lose, I'm going to flip out like a wild horse. If you get bad items on the hoards, all people really say is:
Darn! I'll try again. If the person runs out of crowns, they lose hope of getting the hoards, so the person will stop. It's more of a "risk" then of a gamble, no offense, but I have a question:
On what definition did you learn gamble about? Honestly, you thought wizard101 is a:
Free only gamble of a life time! Sheesh, get your facts right before you claim incorrect information people.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
darthjt wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
By your logic, everything in this game is a gamble. I'm more concerned about low lvl PvP effects from this.

How is this any different than pets with attack cards? Or treasure cards? Sorry, but these spells will not change PvP at all.

Heh. I've been on the KingsIsle side of this the whole time, and I've come up with a few different reasons for these cards not to turn people off. Many people don't even look for reasons why these cards won't change the game... :-)

I'm afraid darthjt just made a horribly good point.

The pet spells have been around forever, and I never saw too many people complaining about them...

Sure, not everyone wants to spend the crowns, and anyone can get a pet, but how many people do you suppose are going to use these cards in PvP anyway?

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
ok for my 2 cents ..
i don't care about the spells they are treasure cards and are only good for the selling of them or trading.
i prefer to enhance low level spells to huge damages bonuses.

and i am trying to collect the outfits at lease one from each pack set
the limit is because i can only have 7 mannequins per wizard and that needs to be changed as i have a lot of outfits i would love to display in the watch tower when i get it finished.

i usually sell the stuff i get or put the pets on the beach. so
if you get upset cause they wont make the game to fit your wishes
how about making it to fit the rest of our wishes... it wont happen

KI is the Sole proprietor of the game and
you pay for the privilege of playing it
as you do a game of golf or a ride in am amusement park.

Survivor
Jul 11, 2011
emperordark wrote:
I am highly disappointed in KI for not only promoting gambling (That is what the card packs are) but this new Ninja pack makes it were, if someone has mass disposable income, they can merely buy new spells. These new spells not only destroy the purpose of working your way through the game and earning your spells, These new spells are also denied to players who have been with them for three years and counting, merely because I can not spend 60.00 a week on a game I already spend 300.00 a year on.

I no longer want to even play this game because of this horrible decision on KI's part. Three years my family and I have played this game and alas when my membership runs out I will be quitting, unless KI quickly does something to make things right.

Yeah I'm probably ending my membership as well for the same reason. Your absolutely right about the gambling thing. But they do that because they want money so they don't exactly care if their making the game less kid friendly and teaching kids that not only is it fun to gamble, but it doesn't have a down side...

Good job KI, your a saboteur to your own game.