Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is there any point in playing this game?

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
The Ninja Lore Pack... the only way to get newly offered spells
Other packs... the only way to get the best equipment

the game is no longer about playing it to improve your characters to make them the best, now you have to gamble for and buy your way forward

I feel betrayed, this is hardly a kids/family game when its all about spending money and gambling. I suggest firing the corrupted staff that is promoting this line of gambling product and replacing them with non-greedy personel that actually cares about the players and the game.

Champion
May 03, 2011
I agree with part of your complaint--putting permanent spells in a crowns pack sets a bad precedent. Whatever happened to "you can spend crowns, or you can spend time?" In other words, you can level up your pet slowly, using in-game currency/snacks only, or you can speed-level with mega snacks. You can earn the gold for a house, or use crowns and get one now. And so on...these new spells are not available to the general public for any amount of time. Only crowns--and you have to spend who knows how many to get the spells. Probably quite a lot. The "class difference" (for lack of a better term) in game is already getting out of hand. Some people have tons of crowns to spend, some have none. And some, who have none, stand around and beg. It's a bit too much like real life...

I have often defended KI on the crowns issue--henchmen, for example--you can buy them, or get people to help. But this business of putting permanent spells in packs is a bad move. It's a step toward simply buying your spells instead of leveling...and it doesn't teach kids that power has to be earned.

Gear, on the other hand--most of the better gear is (as of now) not from packs. But the way things are going, who knows? Maybe instead of a dungeon, all the best level 70 gear will soon come from packs. I hope not...but it's worrisome. Really, it is. As a player and a parent, this disappoints me.

Explorer
Aug 10, 2009
seasnake wrote:

the game is no longer about playing it to improve your characters to make them the best, now you have to gamble for and buy your way forward

I feel betrayed, this is hardly a kids/family game when its all about spending money and gambling. I suggest firing the corrupted staff that is promoting this line of gambling product and replacing them with non-greedy personel that actually cares about the players and the game.

Ok, um I don't know your problem. These are additions to the game. Kingsisle has to make more besides what they get from subscribers. Crowns are the next best thing. By the way, if you didn't already know this, you don't have to buy anything to get through the game besides to get more places. So, calm your nerves, you don't have to do anything. But its a way to get extra money. KI can't live off just subscribers money. By the way, I believe KI does care about us. Again, crowns are only additional options. You don't have to play if you don't want to. You don't have to buy crowns or subscription if you don't want. You quite frankly don't have to do anything you don't want. Just leave the ones who like the game how it is, to the game how it is, to us who actually care. I dunno if you do or not, but find a better way to bring out that feeling. And I seriously don't know what your betrayed problem is. So, uh, yea. Just ignore what I said if you want. If you don't want, you don't have to. Just read it at least.

Defender
May 17, 2011
seasnake wrote:

the people who help make the game need money to keep it online. you don't have to buy that stuff. that is my opinion, and you have yours. no need to go over the top, though.

have a nice day!
saffron firehunter, master life wizard

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
I totally agree. I am an adult and can buy packs but it isn't right for the best gear to not be in game. I was very disappointed when I realized this myself..

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
Yes there is a point and your logic is a little flawed heres why:

Waterworks, which does not require gambling of any kind just a lot of time going through multiple times still produces the best gear of all schools in the game.

The pets you get in Celestia still are amoung the best (imo). There is a degree of gamlbe in training them because you dont know exactly what you will get.

But with disagreeing with you, I also have too state my disappointment with KI. You see I wish what you were saying was true. I wish that buying a pack would give me an advantage. Even spending a ton of crowns gambling and getting the best of what the new pack has to offer, waterworks is still the best. The robes, hat, shoes, pet, and even the wand are all substandard. Nothing spectacular about them and another disappointment with KIs logic in creating the gear. Even if there were one item in there that was worth keeping, it would make the blow of taking everything I got in the Ninja pack and cashing it in for a fraction of what I paid less painful.

Another scenerio of scratching my head and wondering why they are creating gear like this.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
seasnake wrote:

you dont have to buy the pack

these hoard packs arent gambling its simply a way for ki to make a "lil" more money
so the rewards are so low percent
lucky people go through life fast
tough people go through with skills and bravery

in a way people buying hoard packs are both at the same time.
one more pack will it be a dragon or bone dragon
x pulls cards outta pack x
7 bone drakes woooooooow
that didnt happen to me but its possible for any person alive

Survivor
Oct 13, 2011
I guess it depends on what YOU want out of the game. I personally have no trouble enjoying the game and gameplay without resorting to pack items or special spells over and above the ones I earn during gameplay. Sure you *can* gamble and buy your way forward, but it's not exactly essential to the game.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I am just glad my Grandson has moved on from this game - he had "what ever is new and crowns" envy so I did end up paying more for him only to quit the game a few months later. Of all the packs he bought he only received one or two items worth keeping and never did get the items he wanted out of them.

It does make an unpleasant side of the game, it introduces a new round of beggars and wizards promise anything to any one that will gift them a pack so a lot of young wizards end up fleeced of their treasure cards, it also creates hard feelings for those who really want something and others are showing it off.

These packs are a win-win for KI, people spend a lot of money just for a chance at those rare items a lot will not get. It's been said this isn't considered gambling but it really is like buying a lottery ticket to me - in hopes you win big, so I refrain from buying them for myself since I never was lucky at them either. To be fair membership and buying areas probably does not create enough income so these types of inventive ways to get more cash are needed, it's just unfortunate it must be this way, if these items were sold at the crown shop though the purchase would be over, this way people pay more for the chance at the item they want.

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
Heather824 wrote:
I totally agree. I am an adult and can buy packs but it isn't right for the best gear to not be in game. I was very disappointed when I realized this myself..

You are 100% INCORRECT!

The best gear is in the game - it's called water works gear and you get it as a drop when going through water works - you cannot buy this gear in the store using crowns.

If you have assumptions that's normal, but I would encourage you to ask questions first before getting on here and making statements as if they were fact.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
It is totally a matter of opinion of what someones best gear is.... Just because you want to wear 60ish level gear with low crit and like 57 something damage and think its good is not my problem but this is a game with 70 levels so the gear should be appropriate by drops and I'm sorry but this is not what I was expecting at at level 70. I am a long time player of games like these and this is the first time I gotten to max level and been disappointed. So don't tell me your opinion of best gear and tell me I'm wrong....... because in my opinion you are......

Survivor
Jan 08, 2012
Temperest im sorry but you are a noob, there is no way that gear !) levels lower is any better i have looked at the drops and my opinion isnt skewed its your fogged up brain, the best gear IS in the packs and it is a rip off just for them to make money........GREED WILL GET YOU NOTHING, but a fast track somewhere HOT, and im not talking about the desert, so when you falme my wife for agreeing with a TRUE opinion, come talk to me or meet me at the pvp arena and i will put money on your 60 gear WILL FAIL!!!!!!!

Survivor
Jan 08, 2012
AmericanHappy wrote:
Heather824 wrote:

You are 100% INCORRECT!

The best gear is in the game - it's called water works gear and you get it as a drop when going through water works - you cannot buy this gear in the store using crowns.

If you have assumptions that's normal, but I would encourage you to ask questions first before getting on here and making statements as if they were fact.

and i suugets you quit smoking b/c 60 gear isnt the best KI is a company they want to make money and they are getting greedy, KI needs to take some lessons from the #1 MMORPG World of Warcraft you actually can get Awsome ingame gear....KI this is really fail....greed

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
seasnake wrote:

This is hardly gambling. Gambling is placing a bet where you may or may not win. Here you are buying a pack. What you get is random.

The best gear is not in this pack...far from it. I received gear yesterday that was laughable and sold it immediately.

You may not like the packs, but KI is a business and they need to make revenue to keep the game going.

Buying or not buying these packs and any crown items is a choice. We are able to tell our children "no." And we are perfectly capable of making the choices for ourselves as well.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
They make their money on memberships. They have over 20 million players. They don't need to make spells available only in packs so that kids who have parents that cant afford them just get nothing... It isn't the way they market this game.. A kid friendly game shouldn't be a money racket. And if they want to put this kind of stuff in packs then they need to make them available to kids who can't afford them. Our economy is bad and KI expects parents for fork over all this money to have a chance of getting something when most of the time all you get is cheap housing items.. Out of 60000 crowns my family purchased and bought packs with we ended up with one usable item, a weapon. And the rest was off spec pets housing items, and plants.... Kinda seems like a rip off to me.

laulenak wrote:
seasnake wrote:

the people who help make the game need money to keep it online. you don't have to buy that stuff. that is my opinion, and you have yours. no need to go over the top, though.

have a nice day!
saffron firehunter, master life wizard

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Dawgbiscuit wrote:
and i suugets you quit smoking b/c 60 gear isnt the best KI is a company they want to make money and they are getting greedy, KI needs to take some lessons from the #1 MMORPG World of Warcraft you actually can get Awsome ingame gear....KI this is really fail....greed

Hi,

@Dawgbuiscuit,

The topic certainly doesn't warrant your fury and aggression. You are verging on very unpleasant trolling here. That may be acceptable in the WoW community, but we don't accept such rudeness in our community.

You have so far threatened and personally insulted at least two players in these forums. Do you realize that they may be children?

Please stop attacking other players. I'm sure your wife can take care of herself in this mostly polite multi-age forum.

I hope the moderators will take note of your abusive posts and take action to protect our community from such attacks.

Qbb, Mothering Wizard and Disdainer of Trolls

Explorer
Apr 27, 2011
I agree, UK and other European versions of Wizard101, players can buy any items from the packs individually.

So why the U.S.A version can't? Is a simple answer, players keep buying them and KI seems a good way on making money by ripping off American kids.

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
Heather824 wrote:
It is totally a matter of opinion of what someones best gear is.... Just because you want to wear 60ish level gear with low crit and like 57 something damage and think its good is not my problem but this is a game with 70 levels so the gear should be appropriate by drops and I'm sorry but this is not what I was expecting at at level 70. I am a long time player of games like these and this is the first time I gotten to max level and been disappointed. So don't tell me your opinion of best gear and tell me I'm wrong....... because in my opinion you are......

You make a fair point, your opinion is your opinion and I understand that you think I'm wrong in mine. "Best" can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. If by "best" you mean the highest level, then you are absolutely bang on the money - lvl 70 gear is the highest. But I also think that you have failed to explain in your post what you think “best” actually means.

I would argue that the "best" from an overall performance stance point is still the level 60 waterworks gear. And please don't take my word for it - just log into the game tonight and conduct your own survey - the bulk of level 70 wizards do not use and do not intend to use the level 70 gear - it has low perceived value.

And I think that really is the point here - perceived value. You perceive that simply because a gear item has a higher number, than it should be the "best." But starting at the lower levels you must have noticed that every time you got the opportunity to upgrade your gear, not everything that had a higher level was "better" than the gear you currently had – and I include lvl 25 gear over level 15 gear, for example.

Neither, in my opinion, is the gear available for purchase through the crown shop. To date I've yet to encounter any gear item that has made me want to throw in my waterworks clothing in favor of purchasing crown gear - no matter the level.

I encourage you to take any waterworks gear item for your school and compare it against any of the new level 70 gear (available also as drop items in Mirror Lake) or any other gear item offered in the crowns shop - can you honestly tell me that anything on there is “better,” regardless of the level?

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
Dawgbiscuit wrote:

Well firstly, please do not relate me and smoking drugs together in the same sentance - I don't like that.

KI wants to make money? Why is this a problem for you? This is how the world works. Disney makes buckets of money off of kids and their parents.

And again - waterworks gear, in my opinion (and even level 70 gear) are all available in-game as drops - so there is no "fail" here by KI or anyone else.

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
Heather824 wrote:
They make their money on memberships. They have over 20 million players. They don't need to make spells available only in packs so that kids who have parents that cant afford them just get nothing... It isn't the way they market this game.. A kid friendly game shouldn't be a money racket. And if they want to put this kind of stuff in packs then they need to make them available to kids who can't afford them. Our economy is bad and KI expects parents for fork over all this money to have a chance of getting something when most of the time all you get is cheap housing items.. Out of 60000 crowns my family purchased and bought packs with we ended up with one usable item, a weapon. And the rest was off spec pets housing items, and plants.... Kinda seems like a rip off to me.

Well a few things - if you think the perceived value of the packs is not high enough to warrant you spending real money, why buy them at all?

Also, you think parents have no control over what they choose to spend their money on, could I please ask you to buy me a brand new car? Perhaps you'll say no, and perhaps you'll say that becuase I'm an adult you won't do it. But if I were your child, would you do it then - hands dow3n, no questions asked? No? Well how about your drop $60 on crowns so I can spend $2.50 on a pack of playing cards - how about that - is this feasable?

Still saying no to your own kid? Harsh! Although I think you get my point.

You also make a lot of comments about KI "needing" to do this, that, or the other thing. But why do they "need" to do anything? I have plenty of things I would like them to do - but at the end of the day, all they need to do is provide a product that I am willing to rent (membership) or own (crowns).

If I don't like it - I can walk away at any time I choose. And guess what - you can too!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
I have called a Whambulance for all the complainers on this subject.

My recommendation, eat 2 cookies and dry your tears, it will be ok.

You can't miss what you don't have, it changes nothing in PvP, and it finally rewards the people that spend extra real cash on this game with more permanent fixtures.

Explorer
Mar 13, 2009
In the past I have spent a few crowns for the "extras" in the game. I have no problem with that. Most of the crown items can be found in the game as drops. Yes they are rare, but I was lucky and did get the Sidhe staff as a drop in Mirror Lake for example. It cost me only time.

That being said, I have to agree with most that the addition of Spells as rewards in the Packs is going too far.

As we progress in the game, we are challenged and rewarded with new school spells. Our teachers determine that we are "ready" for a new spell when we have completed certain quests and acquired the necessary skills.

To just "buy" new spells completely disrupts the natural flow and skill mastery of our school.

Explorer
Jul 22, 2009
seasnake wrote:

I couldn't have said it any better.

Explorer
Jul 22, 2009
AmericanHappy wrote:
Heather824 wrote:

You are 100% INCORRECT!

Incorrect? Doesn't the Raven's Pack currently hold the best wands in the game? And don't you buy it with CROWNS?

Defender
May 24, 2009
Dawgbiscuit wrote:
AmericanHappy wrote:
Heather824 wrote:

You are 100% INCORRECT!

I am sorry I have been checking in on this thread people are so rude, [I suggest you stop smoking] Never in my life have i heard such a thing so inappropriate here. I have taken 6 months off from the game and back then i never saw comments like this. And kingsisle does have good gear like the waterworks gear.