Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Firearms. (Yes, That Means Guns.)

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
gatorjaw wrote:
KI, again, what happened to moderating any unhelpful, impolite, etc. posts? I've had genuine questions turned twon, but you still let these people post like this? Even if you moderate this, you had to have read it. I interpreted this as people telling me how immature and stupid I am for this idea.
One argument I'm seeing a lot is that this is a family game. I had been shooting guns with my father since I was, maybe, six years old. I have never seen so much unintelligence in a single place since I was in elementary school.

I'm still seeing arguments about technology. I only read one person who had any problem with Marleybone. Marleybone, having electricity, would have to be sometime in the late 19-Century. Guns were invented four hundred years before that. I've also seen people saying anything involving guns would turn this into something like a shooter. When did I say "Make this a shooter"? Well? If you can't answer that, that argument makes no sense. The only argument I've seen that remotely makes any sense is that Wizards wouldn't use guns. But Wizards wouldn't use swords. Wizards wouldn't use big claymores. Wizards wouldn't use hammers. Wizards wouldn't ride giant sharks. And you know what else? There are already guns in Wizard101. I haven't seen anyone complaining about the zebra (I forget his name) having a rifle. I haven't seen ANYONE complaining about that. What makes this so different? You people aren't making any sense.

Gatorjaw, in response to your last 2 posts, you might want to go and re-read the "Code of Conduct". Yes, KI does moderate and does a very good job of it.

Most of the parents that play this game or, are letting their kids play, have checked it out to see what kind of content is involved. I honestly think that if guns had been in the "picture", there would be a lot of them not playing this game today. I know I wouldn't and neither would my nephews or grandson.

Yes, this subject set off a firestorm. Many learned to shoot at a young age including myself and my husband, but I still don't like guns and that is why I like this game and not one of the other games. And we don't own any either. At one time we did until our youngest son (5yrs old at the time)found it by accident. Luckily it was not loaded and no one got hurt.

Maybe a wizard wouldn't use swords or claymores or big hammers or even ride a giant shark. But this is a fantasy game. It is a game that we can come and play and leave the real world behind for a few hours. Guns are too easily acquired and too often used for violence in the real world. This is the one place we don't want to see them. There are enough games that use guns, machine guns and or cannons.

Now, to your statement about guns being on a Zebra, which of course would be in Zafaria, chances are no one has noticed it. I know I haven't, but if that is the case, then I am now asking KI to PLEASE remove it and replace it with a spear or no weapon at all.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
gatorjaw wrote:
I'm still seeing arguments about technology.
Reply: I'm afraid it is you who are missing the point.
I only read one person who had any problem with Marleybone. Marleybone, having electricity, would have to be sometime in the late 19-Century. Guns were invented four hundred years before that.
Reply: The time for which guns have existed is not relevant. What is relevant is that a gun is real, terrifying, and most decidedly not family friendly.
I've also seen people saying anything involving guns would turn this into something like a shooter. When did I say "Make this a shooter"? Well? If you can't answer that, that argument makes no sense.
Reply: Then what would the casting animations be? What would the wand strikes look like?
The only argument I've seen that remotely makes any sense is that Wizards wouldn't use guns. But Wizards wouldn't use swords. Wizards wouldn't use big claymores. Wizards wouldn't use hammers.
Reply: That is arguable. Exacalibur is an enchanted sword, and many magicians such as Merlin were trained in swordplay. So what stands out? Sword, Hammer, or Rifle?
Wizards wouldn't ride giant sharks.
Reply: The fact that Sharks can be bought as Mounts makes no sense in this argument.
And you know what else? There are already guns in Wizard101. I haven't seen anyone complaining about the zebra (I forget his name) having a rifle. I haven't seen ANYONE complaining about that.
Reply: Does he use this rifle? Does he shoot monsters with it in front of you? Does he aim it at anything?
What makes this so different? You people aren't making any sense.
Reply: If you really want a game with guns this bad, many other games can accomodate you. I hear Modern Warfare has an MMO server these days.
All comments in above quote.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
gatorjaw wrote:
I'm still seeing arguments about technology. I only read one person who had any problem with Marleybone. Marleybone, having electricity, would have to be sometime in the late 19-Century. Guns were invented four hundred years before that. I've also seen people saying anything involving guns would turn this into something like a shooter. When did I say "Make this a shooter"? Well? If you can't answer that, that argument makes no sense. The only argument I've seen that remotely makes any sense is that Wizards wouldn't use guns. But Wizards wouldn't use swords. Wizards wouldn't use big claymores. Wizards wouldn't use hammers. Wizards wouldn't ride giant sharks. And you know what else? There are already guns in Wizard101. I haven't seen anyone complaining about the zebra (I forget his name) having a rifle. I haven't seen ANYONE complaining about that. What makes this so different? You people aren't making any sense.
Good point with the zebra

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
gatorjaw wrote:
There are already guns in Wizard101. I haven't seen anyone complaining about the zebra (I forget his name) having a rifle. I haven't seen ANYONE complaining about that. What makes this so different?

Very good point. Not only does Sir Reginald Baxby carry a rifle, but he uses it, since his description indicates "Big Game Hunter."

Defender
May 29, 2011
gatorjaw wrote:

Finally, some one who makes sense. Guns might not be magical, but lots of things in wizard101 arent. ( swords actually can be magical even though there not wands ) To be honest, guns wouldnt make that much of a difference to the game. I mean, who said they had to shoot bullets? They could shoot rainbows, water, snow balls, fire balls, and even sand. This is a 10+ game, most of them no the difference between real guns and non-real guns. And, your right, that zebra guy is holdng a rifle.

But, dont come here and say "guns arent for 5 year olds" cause 5 yea olds shouldnt be playing this game in the first place. Like I said, a 10 year old should know the difference between a real gun and a gun that shoots rainbows.

I'm not saying i want guns, and i'm not saying i dont want them either. I'm just saying it shouldn't make a big difference to the game, or the children, on how your wand looks, or cast spells. ( oh, and how on earth would you cast a spell with a gun? )

Mycin legenddreamer

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
gatorjaw wrote:
KI, again, what happened to moderating any unhelpful, impolite, etc. posts?

Talk about rude! Be polite! Its critisism! Do you want everyone to just agree with you? If so then this would be heaven on earth!
gatorjaw wrote:
I've had genuine questions turned twon, but you still let these people post like this? Even if you moderate this, you had to have read it. I interpreted this as people telling me how immature and stupid I am for this idea.
One argument I'm seeing a lot is that this is a family game. I had been shooting guns with my father since I was, maybe, six years old. I have never seen so much unintelligence in a single place since I was in elementary school.

Maybe you were shooting guns since 6, but I have never. Quit being impolite. Dont encourage that kind of stuff of guns with children.

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
umm has any one bothered to check out the firearms we already have?

the Fire Wands.
they shoot out fire of some sort so they are Fire Arms!

Survivor
Apr 21, 2009
Yes bad idea sorry i was i was like what? guns really! Games like this dont need violence.

Survivor
Sep 30, 2009
gatorjaw wrote:

There's a huge difference: the zebra doesn't even us it. The way you say it is that we'll us the guns. And not everyone uses guns, mainly because some people (me included) have had a past history where a family member has died when someone shot them. Please, think about what you say before you post it, because in you're last post,
KI, again, what happened to moderating any unhelpful, impolite, etc. posts? I've had genuine questions turned twon, but you still let these people post like this? Even if you moderate this, you had to have read it. I interpreted this as people telling me how immature and stupid I am for this idea.

most people see that as offensive. We aren't being "unitelligent" as you say: we are using common sense and logic. Wizards can use wands, and the sowrd are enchanted, and teh sharks are mounts beacuse with magic people can tame them. Please, please, think about what you post before you post it. It can hurt people, in more ways than one.

Historian
May 01, 2010
Quote from latest commersial: "You wont find blood, and guts, and violence...Nothing that's ever going to make you step back as a parent and say ooogh I dont want my child to play this." When I was growing up, my parents wouldnt even let me watch a game with a single live gun in it, much less play it. All childhoods are different, people have different views on things, as gatorjaw said, "I had been shooting guns with my father since I was, maybe, six years old", is the perfect proof of this, his parents were/is I am guessing avid hunters, while mine werent.

Last word, personally, I always think it makes your argument less valid if you insult the opponnet....

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
NO! This is Wizard101, not Gun101 or Western101. I want Wizard101 gun free. You play WAY too gunner games. It would also look awkward casting A spell with A gun anyway...

Survivor
May 07, 2009
gatorjaw wrote:

I read some of the people attacking gatorjaw for wondering about moderating forums and I laughed at people's responses. Some being offended. He has every right at this point. This has gotten way out of hand.

goldendragon18 wrote:
Gatorjaw, in response to your last 2 posts, you might want to go and re-read the "Code of Conduct". Yes, KI does moderate and does a very good job of it.

Because it's obviously only the OP who is being insulting here. Just because some of you have the same opinion as others does not mean you should selectively ignore insulting posts. See the cyberbullying thread. Everyone can voice their opinion in a much politer, nicer way regardless of where they stand on this issue.

wizguygoo wrote:
Ok, not a positive opinion, but this idea is awful.

achilles398 wrote:
What in the world were you thinking? Not only are guns something a child should never come to like, have you EVER seen Harry Potter use a gun?

wizguygoo wrote:
Doggy, slow down. Look, in case you havent noticed, nobody supports your idea. Slow down. Guns arent for family games. Get that through your head.

wizguygoo wrote:
Now, I wish professor greyrose, falmea, balstorm, dworgyn, cyrus, moolinda, gamma, and merle would put this place on lock. I'm getting tired of everyones dumb ideas.

firewizardfan wrote:
im sorry but your idea is the worst i have seen yet

Champion
May 03, 2011
To the OP: If you are going to post stuff here, you (for better or worse) have to get used to people disagreeing with you. Sometimes not in the most diplomatic way. You can scroll through some of the threads in other forum sections and see that I, too, have had this happen. I've gotten into silly spats over silly stuff--I've offended people without meaning to, and been offended as well. It's forum culture, for lack of a better term.

You have to get used to it, and not take it personally. Some people disagreed with your idea, but they don't know you as a person and, as far as I can see, didn't say anything that isn't pretty much par for the course when a controversy comes up here. (You should have seen some of the threads on gender roles awhile back, for example. Lots of angry folks there, on both sides.) You claim to have "interpreted" these comments an insult to your intelligence, then go on to call your detractors "unintelligent." First, notice that you are interpreting, or assuming things. It's not personal. No one thinks you are stupid for suggesting this. Although some don't like the idea, it's just a disagreement. And KI does moderate these threads. I've seen stuff removed--and I doubt we see most of the truly inflammatory stuff, because they don't post it in the first place.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
wizardgirl1840 wrote:
NO! This is Wizard101, not Gun101 or Western101. I want Wizard101 gun free. You play WAY too gunner games.

And if he plays too many gunner games, so what?

Survivor
May 30, 2009
I do not agree with the gun thing. Aren't you overreacting just a little about this. The mere suggestion of gunplay is throwing you off your seats. This will most porably never ever make it through to wizard101 but you are being a little tough. Gun "play" would probably not elevate the ratings of this at all. Here is what I mean: Laser games, such as The Transfromers games for DS hold a E10+ for fanatsy violence. Fantasy. It is tecnology but, it is not real at the moment. Take if this suggestion was taken into play. Magical beams of light would shoot out from guns. Is this better or worse than lasers? Actually, I am pretty certain of the fact lasers are more violent. Psrik its so coll you were a navy seal!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
shukion123 wrote:
Laser games, such as The Transfromers games for DS hold a E10+ for fanatsy violence.

I don't usually quote myself, but KI probably *would* have to increase the rating from E10+ to Teen. Here's why:

vonawesome1 wrote:
Consider this: on the off-chance that KI decided this was a great idea and gave players guns, what of PvP? Emotions run high in the arena as it is and, instead of mythical enemies, you are now firing a weapon at another wizard- not only is the game no longer kid-friendly, but it takes in-game violence to a whole other level.

PvP is not involved in DS games, and the machines in Transformers are clearly not real; therefore, "fantasy violence" is a non-issue. By contrast, guns are VERY real, scary, and quite easily-accessible to just about anyone; as soon as KI allows us to fire weapons at each other, it becomes a problem.

I don't believe that gatorjaw covered this in his (her?) original post, so I'm not sure if s/he is aware of this risks that this could bring to the game... just something to think about.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
shukion123 wrote:
Psrik its so coll you were a navy seal!

Thanks for the kind words. It's not glamorous like the media makes it out to be, but we provide a very necessary function in the world,and try and make it better for all.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
wizguygoo wrote:
julia88888 wrote:
wizguygoo wrote:
gatorjaw wrote:
I can't imagine that this hasn't been suggested before, but I haven't seen any. Things people suggest, like shields and gauntlets, would have to completely redesign the game. These would be something like the two-handed weapons. Script a few animations (Yes, I get that's pretty hard,) and then you're just making filler weapons. Maybe if we get a world like somewhere from the Renaissance, all the way to the Old West, (which I would absolutely LOVE, KI!) could implement it as some firearms fitting with lore. I've got a few ideas, too.
Blunderbuss of Blaze: Does some sort of 0-pip, weak fire spell like the wands do.
Flintlock of Frost: Same, with Ice.
Arquebus or Arcing: Storm.
Crossbow of Creation: Myth.
This could also add some kind of new $30-40 pack. Imagine: holding a repeater in your hand while wearing gunslinger garb riding some new horse mount. I can't ramble any longer; it's late and I've had a long day. Anybody want to share their (positive) opinions?

Ok, not a positive opinion, but this idea is awful. I think you play WAY to many gunner games. Ok, first reason that this is bad. You do know that 5 year olds play this, don't you? Second, this wouldn't be fair for some people who don't like that stuff. KI could lose lots of money for putting that in a family game. It would then be rated probably M, and thats never good for an again, family game. Lots of kids would have to stop playing because their parents see one person get the gun, and use it. The only thing that suits this good, I'd say is the horse mount. And maybe the new wild west world, but without guns. I get that the big game hunter carries one, but he never used it. I rest my case, though I am not an adult, I'm mature enough to see this would ruin KI. Sorry for your idea, but I don't think anyone would put this in an E10 game.
exactly, 5 year olds play this. If you want this to be a gunner game it is pretty much impossible, sorry. And look, if you dont like Wizard101 you can start playing other games.

~Julia Rosesinger

Thank you for someone who finally copied my post down and gave an agreement. Everyone who agrees with these guns in a game with 5 year olds, your messed up. Even if your defending gatorjaw's idea, even if you don't want guns. I know, it was just an idea, but that should not have been posted here. Post it on WoW Message Boards. Nobody wants guns in this game. Now, I wish professor greyrose, falmea, balstorm, dworgyn, cyrus, moolinda, gamma, and merle would put this place on lock. I'm getting tired of everyones dumb ideas. Now, calm down everyone.
I agree. I don't see how such an inflammatory thread as this one, with an original poster who bullies those who disagree with him, has gone unlocked for this long. Also not sure how calling people unintelligent, which is just a nicer way of saying stupid, got past the mods.

Defender
May 29, 2011
People. They are just wands. Calm down. Some of you are offended people and should stop.

"this idea is awful" "worst idea i've seen yet"

How will the game change so much cause of a small wand not everyone will have....
Try and at least consider his post and think. No one ever said they had to shoot bullets... they could shoot: lightning,fire,flowers,sparkles,snowballs, bones, or maybe even sand. So why dont you people think about a bit more cause it wouldnt hurt as much as you people say it would.

This is a 10+ game, so dont focus on 5 year olds, focus on the moderate age of people playing which is around 10 years old, not 5. Most 10 year olds know the difference between guns that shoot lightning, and guns that shoot bullets so people please stop over reacting, please.

Mycin legenddreamer

Historian
May 01, 2010
wizguygoo wrote:
slammer111 wrote:
wizguygoo wrote:
gatorjaw wrote:
The biggest argument is that guns aren't magic. You know what else isn't magic? Anything. We have swords in real life. Are there any real swords that electrocute on contact? We have pets in real life. Do we have knee-height animals that give people cards to use that summon huge magical monsters? We have mounts in real life. Do we have low-altitude, one-person flying objects that have no means of propulsion? KI, the last time I read your moderation policy, you said you would moderate anything that wasn't helpful. When did that change? Or when did "This is such a terrible idea" become helpful? I'm sure all you people saw the posts demanding for gauntlets, shields, and more schools. Why don't you hea over there to insult ideas? In case you didn't know, guns have been around for over 600 years. You people didn't comlain about Marleybone, which would be after thta. what's so different about this?

KI, you disappoint me. Posters, you anger me.

Doggy, slow down. Look, in case you havent noticed, nobody supports your idea. Slow down. If you wanna play a gun game, go play one on Xbox Live. Not Wizard101. This isnt Guns101, its wizard101. KI wants family friendly games. Not shoot-em-up violent games. We realize none of this is real, thats the exact reason we play for sake. None of us play this to shoot monsters. We all play it to cast spells to destroy them for us. Get it? Guns arent for family games. Get that through your head. No, lets put this topic to rest already. Gatorjaw, my word of advice. Go play another game that doesnt involve guns or magic. See if that suits you. If not, try to play a game other then w101 and leave us to our own fun.

Was that a bit uncalled for? He was suggesting a very minor part of the game at the most, NOT something insane like changing all the wands in W101 to guns. I have to agree with kingurz on this, we have bows in this game, that have been around much longer than guns, KI made it so there werent real arrows, just slivers of energy, swords never actually contact the enemy, they just send a swipe of....I dont even know what to call that.... Anyway, so I can bet that if KI really wanted to, really put thier energy into it (which is unlikely none the less), they could twist guns to make them more kid friendly.

Ok, for some reason Slammer111 I don't think my post should have been added in this. I don't understand your minor part of the game. That would change the whole game as we knew it. And who suggested changing wands to guns? Not me. Bows, yea, they aren't as violent as instantly killing someone or something with a speeding bullet. You could shoot someones head off! A bow would just inflict some damage. Swords, on the other hand, are pretty violent. But since when did I ever say they made contact? I don't understand these people who agree with guns in a FAMILY GAME! GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Sorry that this is late, but yes, your post was supposed to be in my quote. Reason being, that to me, the " Doggy, slow down. Look, in case you havent noticed, nobody supports your idea. Slow down. If you wanna play a gun game, go play one on Xbox Live. Not Wizard101. This isnt Guns101, its wizard101. KI wants family friendly games. Not shoot-em-up violent games" part was suggesting that this update would make the game COMPLETELY different, which I dont think it will. I was bringing up the swords and bows showing how KI makes things more kid friendly, and you seem to support that point. Sorry if that was a bit confusing on my end.... Anyway, ultimately, this is KI's decision.
@goldendragon18 (March 4th post) I said to make them MORE kid friendly, I fully know that guns can basically NEVER be completely kid friendly, but I believe if KI put their minds to it, then they can morph them into things even as different as the rainbow shooting guns somebody said somewhere on this thread.

Survivor
Jan 25, 2012
I personally think that guns could be allowed, but have attacks like the sword, just unique animations. As in, they wouldn't be loaded, you couldn't shoot with them, they would just have animations different then any other sword.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Jallen02 wrote:
gatorjaw wrote:

I read some of the people attacking gatorjaw for wondering about moderating forums and I laughed at people's responses. Some being offended. He has every right at this point. This has gotten way out of hand.

goldendragon18 wrote:

Because it's obviously only the OP who is being insulting here. Just because some of you have the same opinion as others does not mean you should selectively ignore insulting posts. See the cyberbullying thread. Everyone can voice their opinion in a much politer, nicer way regardless of where they stand on this issue.

wizguygoo wrote:
Ok, not a positive opinion, but this idea is awful.

achilles398 wrote:
What in the world were you thinking? Not only are guns something a child should never come to like, have you EVER seen Harry Potter use a gun?

wizguygoo wrote:
Doggy, slow down. Look, in case you havent noticed, nobody supports your idea. Slow down. Guns arent for family games. Get that through your head.

wizguygoo wrote:
Now, I wish professor greyrose, falmea, balstorm, dworgyn, cyrus, moolinda, gamma, and merle would put this place on lock. I'm getting tired of everyones dumb ideas.

firewizardfan wrote:
im sorry but your idea is the worst i have seen yet

they are making a point. He is insulting US, if anyone, saying our posts should not of 'got passed' moderaters.

Ok, so lets get your definition of cyberbullying out there:
Jallen02's mini dictionary: Cyberbullying: Disagreeing with one's idea.

Historian
May 01, 2010
Ronster55 wrote:
they are making a point. He is insulting US, if anyone, saying our posts should not of 'got passed' moderaters.

Ok, so lets get your definition of cyberbullying out there:
Jallen02's mini dictionary: Cyberbullying: Disagreeing with one's idea.

Two wrongs dont make a right, Jallen02 was pretty much correct, this has been getting out of hand, but both sides have insulted the other at least once, I can see why Gatorjaw reacted the way he did, can you think of a perfectly good idea to you, getting shot down, repeatly, with very few actually constructive posts? While some are completely like, 'come on, why would you even think of that, its so stupid/dumb?' Yes, even though its not in context in some of the posts (i.e. achilles398 post that you quoted), its implied, while in others, they straight out said it (wizguygoo, also quoted above)??? Wouldnt it make you or others just the slightest bit annoyed, just like when he insulted you guys, right?

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
mkt3 wrote:
People. They are just wands. Calm down. Some of you are offended people and should stop.
Reply: They are not wands, they are firearms. There is a tremendous difference.

"this idea is awful" "worst idea i've seen yet"
Reply: I agree with both of those lines, no offense Gatorjaw, I like your other ideas.

How will the game change so much cause of a small wand not everyone will have....
Reply: Not everyone will have it, but most everyone will see it.
Try and at least consider his post and think. No one ever said they had to shoot bullets... they could shoot: lightning,fire,flowers,sparkles,snowballs, bones, or maybe even sand.
Reply: A gun is a gun, I don't care if it shot sparkly pixie dust.
So why dont you people think about a bit more cause it wouldnt hurt as much as you people say it would.
Reply: Hmm, let me think on it. Nope, still don't like it.

This is a 10+ game, so dont focus on 5 year olds, focus on the moderate age of people playing which is around 10 years old, not 5.
Reply: So most children, over 5 years, somehow find a weapon that shoots a high speed shard of deadly metal fine? Yeah, not buying it.
Most 10 year olds know the difference between guns that shoot lightning, and guns that shoot bullets so people please stop over reacting, please.
Reply: Where is your source of this? What makes you think that a gun, regardless of it's ammunition, will not frighten a child? What makes you think that this change would be so minor? And what's so wizardly about a gun?

Mycin legenddreamer
All replies in above quote. Sorry if I was a little harsh, but I will speak up for what I think is right.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
Gatorjaw don't think you can just post an idea and everyone will agree.