Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Utility Spells for next Update!

AuthorMessage
Armiger
May 10, 2010
Fire: Nitrogen
2 Pips, casts convert (Prism) on all enemies.

Ice: Legion Tower
2 pips, gives a -50% tower shield to all friends.

Storm: Clarify
2 pips, Removes all Negative charms.

Balance: Magnify
2 pips, +30% Balance damage aura (Bubble) to all balance spells.

Life: Power Sprite
3 pips, 125+375 heal over 3 rounds to all friends

Death: Gloomier & Doomier!
3 pips, +25% to all death attacks & -50% to all heals. Aura (Bubble)

Myth: Mythical
1 pip, 2 +25% myth traps to 1 enemy

Star: Fuse
1 pip, +20% resistance to all attacks & protects all wards and charms for 4 rounds. (Self Aura)

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
But I hate odd pip spells !!!!

Was there a level range associated with these? I assume level 70?

Also, is your Balance spell a global? I don't understand the damage "bubble" part. If it is a global spell, I don't think that spell will be useful, since enemies will be attacking at 30% too. Maybe if it was only boosting Balance-based damage.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Fire: Petroleum
3 Pips, casts fuel on all enemies

Pretty nice effect. Reasonable pip cost. Not sure if trapping all enemies 3x would give fire too much of an edge, though. Would be interesting to see this tested out.

darthjt wrote:

Ice: Snow Fairy
3 pips, heals all friends for 210 health & gives legion shield.

Since Ice is more closely related to Death on the spectrum, I dont believe, IMO, that ice should be healing all.
May I suggest instead..
Ice : Snow Fairy
3 pips, gives Ice Armor worth 150 to all friends.
edit: I realize the 150 armor is way too low. A 200 absorb for all friends would be much more reasonable. Collectively, that's 800 for 3 pips. not bad.

darthjt wrote:

Storm: Barricade
3 pips, +30% resistance to all attacks & protects all wards and charms for 4 rounds.

Lil problem here.
A universal 30% resist = a legion shield.
This is something that should remain exclusive to Ice. Storm getting 30% resistance to all spells doesn't really make sense, and is not something Storm magic is known for.
A 30% increase in damage I could understand. But as for resistance, it just seems out of place for this school type.

darthjt wrote:

3 pips, +30% damage bubble to all spells

Big problem here, I'm afraid.
A 30% increase to all spells would once again give Balance another bubble that is not really beneficial to them alone, and rather it would be something that would benefit all - even opponents.
What Balance needs is an exclusive bubble to Balance damage.
What you're suggesting is just another Power Play, that everyone can take advantage of.

darthjt wrote:

Life: Sparkling Sprite
3 pips, 100+600 heal over 3 rounds to all friends

I like this idea, but the heal needs to be lowered to 300 over 3 rounds. Just like a Sprite.
100+600 for only 3 pips would be a lot for just a single person use. To have that given to all friends is a bit much. That's like a rebirth for 3 pips..
Spells are generally reduced when dealing with AOEs, so a more reasonable amount would be 300 over 3 rounds.
1 Sprite can heal 1 person 300, for 1 pip.
3 pips would heal all 4 people 300, with a Sprite-like equivalent.
The advantage is that's its all done in 3 pips and 1 round.

100+600 to ALL friends for 3 pips would become the new most heavily exploited spell in the game. Sry.

darthjt wrote:

3 pips, +30% to all death attacks & -50% to all heals.

This should just be +30% to death attacks, 20% weakness to all foes.
To have a 30% damage increase and -50% heal reduction is borderline "having your cake and eating it too"

PS - you forgot to add myth

Defender
Jul 12, 2009
If anything the storm one sounds like an ice spell, defense is what they do...

Armiger
May 10, 2010
kingurz wrote:
But I hate odd pip spells !!!!

Was there a level range associated with these? I assume level 70?

Also, is your Balance spell a global? I don't understand the damage "bubble" part. If it is a global spell, I don't think that spell will be useful, since enemies will be attacking at 30% too. Maybe if it was only boosting Balance-based damage.

Level range would probably be 30 for these, I am thinking the next update would be an expansion of Wysteria.

As for Balance, yes it is a global, like all the schools have a damage boosting bubble, this is balances new bubble. Yes, it increases all schools, as Balance uses all schools of attacks. I suppose it could be balance based only.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:

All that for 3 pips?

Healing is Life's medium, and this spell is a little much for 3 pips.

3 pips, +30% resistance to all attacks & protects all wards and charms for 4 rounds.

This sounds more like a Star spell.

I don't really see a point in this spell since our blade is global and Bladestorm is global.

You can't possibly be serious.

I'm not too keen on giving out more environment spells, and the name...blecch.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
3 Pips, casts fuel on all enemies[/wuote]

As long as the fuels on the enemies are 20%.

It would be good it it were 4 pips...

If you want to keep it at 3, then lower the heal to 120.

Remove the part about protect wards/charms.

Balance does NOT need another useless bubble.

Good enough.

Good enough.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
magicintheair wrote:

So, are you saying no school is allowed to borrow any types of spells that other schools have?

Do most schools not have DoT, are those not fire?
Does fire not have attack/heal spells, are those not death?
Does efreet not cast weakness? is that not death?
The list goes on and on.

Storm has an opposite of Myth, or so the story starts out. What better school to have protection of their power than storm with an earthquake proof spell?

Explorer
Aug 14, 2011
darthjt wrote:

First of all I know they have Shatter and all, but No Myth?? o_o

Second, love all of these ideas, especially Storm and Death, great ideas!

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Delver
Feb 16, 2010
Petroleum – I like the idea of this one, but Fuel is a 2 pip spell. I think putting Fuel on all enemies for only 3 pips is a bit much. Maybe move this one to your 4 pip idea?

Snow Fairy – I’d have to agree with Loki on this one. Healing all should be for life only. I think all schools should have the ability to heal themselves with an in school spell, but not healing all at once. I do like the Ice Armor idea in its place.

Barricade – Again I like the idea of this one, and your idea of protection from earthquake is not bad either. However I think perhaps if you are going to have protection for 4 rounds, maybe swap this with your 4 pip idea for Storm with the changes I noted to your Storm 4 pip idea included.

Magnify – Nope. I’d have to agree, that as written, this would be a bubble like Power Play that no one would use. Yes Balance uses all schools, but make this a boost to balance attack spells period. Regardless of the school of damage, if it is a balance spell it should receive the boost to damage. That way you are boosting Balance, something it does indeed need without boosting your enemy at the same time. Other schools can stack more blades for 0 pip cost to boost their spells than Balance can so a bubble that boosts damage from all Balance spells, regardless of the type of damage it inflicts would be useful. For Balance to boost Chimera, Hydra, or Elemental Blast (and a potential Spiritual Blast) they have to add the tri blades for the cost of 1 pip, same with blade storm. Come to think of it, maybe this bubble should only be 2 pips, or come with a more significant boost, like 40-45%.

Sparkling Sprite – Again I sort of like the idea of this one, but I do think it is overpowered for a 3 pip spell. After all, Unicorn is a 3 pip spell and heals all for 275. You could make this a heal one person for that 3 pips, but that would put it very close to Regenerate’s 5 pips spell, not sure we need that duplication. So back to the drawing board with this one.

Doomier and Gloomier – I like the combination of boost to Death damage and the reduction to healing. I think this is reasonable for the 3 pip cost. Perhaps the reduction in healing should be a bit less than the considering the standard doom and gloom is a 2 pip spell as well for only a bit more reduction to healing.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
loki1201 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Pretty nice effect. Reasonable pip cost. Not sure if trapping all enemies 3x would give fire too much of an edge, though. Would be interesting to see this tested out.

I do agree with you, I was unsure about this spell too, but it does sound interesting. Thanks for your input.

darthjt wrote:

Since Ice is more closely related to Death on the spectrum, I dont believe, IMO, that ice should be healing all.
May I suggest instead..
Ice : Snow Fairy
3 pips, gives Ice Armor worth 150 to all friends.
edit: I realize the 150 armor is way too low. A 200 absorb for all friends would be much more reasonable. Collectively, that's 800 for 3 pips. not bad.

Interesting Idea, not bad either if I may say so. That would not be a bad exchange, thank you. I still like the thought of having ice have some type of heal, but I can deal with the Ice Armor on all friends idea too.

darthjt wrote:

Lil problem here.
A universal 30% resist = a legion shield.
This is something that should remain exclusive to Ice. Storm getting 30% resistance to all spells doesn't really make sense, and is not something Storm magic is known for.
A 30% increase in damage I could understand. But as for resistance, it just seems out of place for this school type.

I understand, but this is not a shield, it is a self aura, like Fortify. I did lower the resistance, but this also is protection from steal wards, steal charms, earthquake and shatter. This one fits storm perfectly if you truly think about it.

darthjt wrote:

Big problem here, I'm afraid.
A 30% increase to all spells would once again give Balance another bubble that is not really beneficial to them alone, and rather it would be something that would benefit all - even opponents.
What Balance needs is an exclusive bubble to Balance damage.
What you're suggesting is just another Power Play, that everyone can take advantage of.

Thanks for the input, I changed it to +30% to balance spells only.

darthjt wrote:

I like this idea, but the heal needs to be lowered to 300 over 3 rounds. Just like a Sprite.
100+600 for only 3 pips would be a lot for just a single person use. To have that given to all friends is a bit much. That's like a rebirth for 3 pips..
Spells are generally reduced when dealing with AOEs, so a more reasonable amount would be 300 over 3 rounds.
1 Sprite can heal 1 person 300, for 1 pip.
3 pips would heal all 4 people 300, with a Sprite-like equivalent.
The advantage is that's its all done in 3 pips and 1 round.

100+600 to ALL friends for 3 pips would become the new most heavily exploited spell in the game. Sry.

You are absolutely correct, I change it and thank you.

darthjt wrote:

This should just be +30% to death attacks, 20% weakness to all foes.
To have a 30% damage increase and -50% heal reduction is borderline "having your cake and eating it too"

I lowered it to 25% to death attacks, but I still agree with it being an aura that also has -50% to all heals. It is like the attack bubble and the original doom and gloom spell combined, except for 3 pips now.

Although, I could see a 30% attack bubble and an infection on all enemies, I just think this spell would greatly benefit death as it is.

PS - you forgot to add myth

You are correct again, not sure how I left out myth. I know the Mythical spell is exactly like Petroleum, however, myth is somewhat like fire. This will also help out greatly with the Humongo frog pet, or Basilisk spell, or even the dual attack spells.

Thank you for your input, it was well thought out and greatly appreciated.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

As long as the fuels on the enemies are 20%.

Actually, that would not be a bad idea, but not sure how easy that would be for KI to implement. This would have to go for the myth spell also then.

It would be good it it were 4 pips...

If you want to keep it at 3, then lower the heal to 120.

Yeah, it might be a bit too much healing, Ice is not life, good advice.

Remove the part about protect wards/charms.

Actually the protection of wards & charms is what makes this a storm spell and worth the 3 pips. Lowering the resistance is possible though.

Balance does NOT need another useless bubble.

Ok, I hear ya, how about +30% to all Balance spells then?

Good enough.

Actually it is too overpowered, healing was lowered due to it being a heal all spell. although sprite is 1 pip, and this is 3 pips, maybe it should be a bit stronger than sprite. I will have to think about this spell further.

Good enough.

Thank you, and yes, I did miss the myth spell, which is why I edited my original post. Thank you for your thoughts.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

All that for 3 pips?

Yep, but if you have suggestions or idea how to change it, they would be greatly appreciated.

Healing is Life's medium, and this spell is a little much for 3 pips.

I lowered the heal to 120, since Ice is not life. There has also been the suggestion of making this an Ice absorb, but I like the thought of ice having some type of healing, what do you think, as long as it is not too powerful.

This sounds more like a Star spell.

You are exactly right, it does, and practically is, but it is made for storm, like storm has a moon spell already. This is a protection spell specifically for storms blades and shield, although it does offer storm some desperately needed protection for their low health.

I don't really see a point in this spell since our blade is global and Bladestorm is global.

Good point, would changing it to balance damage only be better? Since everyone complains about Power Play, this would keep Balance in the running for a global aura that benefits them.

You can't possibly be serious.

Ok, maybe a bit overpowered, changed it to do what sprite does, except to all friends, although, that might be a bit too underpowered. Do you have any suggestions?

I'm not too keen on giving out more environment spells, and the name...blecch.

lol what's wrong with the name? hehehehe I thinks it's funny.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Aritako wrote:
Petroleum – I like the idea of this one, but Fuel is a 2 pip spell. I think putting Fuel on all enemies for only 3 pips is a bit much. Maybe move this one to your 4 pip idea?

Yeah, was kinda unsure about that, but the suggestion of 20% traps instead are not bad, less boost.

Snow Fairy – I’d have to agree with Loki on this one. Healing all should be for life only. I think all schools should have the ability to heal themselves with an in school spell, but not healing all at once. I do like the Ice Armor idea in its place.

I commented on this idea, the Ice Armor is not a bad replacement. Was just considering the fact that Ice is the tank, usually goes first in most battles and can draw the attention of enemies with this.

Barricade – Again I like the idea of this one, and your idea of protection from earthquake is not bad either. However I think perhaps if you are going to have protection for 4 rounds, maybe swap this with your 4 pip idea for Storm with the changes I noted to your Storm 4 pip idea included.

Actually, I have lowered the resistance to be like fortify which is 0 pips to cast. So, in essence, you are basically getting protection for your blades and shields for 3 pips. I do like the storm DoT as a 4 pip spell. I don't think either of these should be changed.

Magnify – Nope. I’d have to agree, that as written, this would be a bubble like Power Play that no one would use. Yes Balance uses all schools, but make this a boost to balance attack spells period. Regardless of the school of damage, if it is a balance spell it should receive the boost to damage. That way you are boosting Balance, something it does indeed need without boosting your enemy at the same time. Other schools can stack more blades for 0 pip cost to boost their spells than Balance can so a bubble that boosts damage from all Balance spells, regardless of the type of damage it inflicts would be useful. For Balance to boost Chimera, Hydra, or Elemental Blast (and a potential Spiritual Blast) they have to add the tri blades for the cost of 1 pip, same with blade storm. Come to think of it, maybe this bubble should only be 2 pips, or come with a more significant boost, like 40-45%.

Comments have been noted, taken into consideration and was changed. It is now a Balance damage only aura.

Sparkling Sprite – Again I sort of like the idea of this one, but I do think it is overpowered for a 3 pip spell. After all, Unicorn is a 3 pip spell and heals all for 275. You could make this a heal one person for that 3 pips, but that would put it very close to Regenerate’s 5 pips spell, not sure we need that duplication. So back to the drawing board with this one.

I changed to to be sprite of 100+300 for 3 rounds healing to all friends, which is like casting sprite to all in 1 turn. Although, for 3 pips, it might be a bit underpowered as it is a HoT spell. Maybe somewhere in between would be better, like 375 or 450?

Doomier and Gloomier – I like the combination of boost to Death damage and the reduction to healing. I think this is reasonable for the 3 pip cost. Perhaps the reduction in healing should be a bit less than the considering the standard doom and gloom is a 2 pip spell as well for only a bit more reduction to healing.

I did lower the damage boost to 25%, -50% heals is a 25% drop from doom and gloom and for 1 pip more, I think this is on par.

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions, they are greatly appreciated.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
darthjt wrote:
3 pips, 3 +25% myth traps on all enemies

I'm curious, why 3 traps instead of two?

I understand why Fire gets three, since it compliments their DoT spells. Myth really only needs two to slightly boost their double hit spells (since currently Myth trap spamming is turn consuming).

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Okay, I have thought about an interesting change to the Ice spell.

Maybe this instead:

Black Ice
3 Pips, stuns and a +25% Ice trap to all enemies.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
darthjt wrote:
3 Pips, casts fuel on all enemies, 3 +25% fire traps on all enemies

3 pips, heals all friends for 120 health & gives legion shield.

3 pips, +20% resistance to all attacks & protects all wards and charms for 4 rounds. (Self Aura)

3 pips, +30% Balance damage aura (Bubble) to all balance spells.

3 pips, 100+300 heal over 3 rounds to all friends

Sorry, I did leave out myth, thanks everyone for pointing that out and thanks for the input, I did make some changes with the new input that everyone has given.

Yes, I know everyone keeps saying storm spell are not usually defensive, but storm does get shields like everyone else. I don't see how storm getting a quake proof spell would not be bad, but I am open to suggestions.

Darn, I jumped in after you edited...

The idea of Balance's boosting all schools, I can improvise on that one:

Magnify: +30% damage bubble effects next round to any school, that would be a great idea! That would make a risk for what your opponent is going to use next round, but also a boost to what you already have.

For Myth's spell, 2 traps would make much more sense. But, if Storm has a counter on Myth's part, why not Myth have a counter to Storm's? Since this is at level 30 as you said, Storm's most effective spell in a 1v1 would be Kraken. So, maybe Myth could have an, aura breaking spell! This spell would eliminate the opponent's selected aura! That would make Myth a lot more interesting and fun to play.

I like the changes for Ice's healing, because remember, there is may cast Unicorn, and critical for the spell, and also healing boost.

Fire's traps, why not make it 20%? I mean, it is a triple trap on all enemies, that could make for a heavy scald for such a low level.

Overall, I think your ideas are great, hopefully kingsisle makes them.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2011
Guess this didnt work out for the "Post Wysteria Expansion" (I guess that would have been Celestia).

Good Luck in the future on this idea.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
davesruse wrote:
Guess this didnt work out for the "Post Wysteria Expansion" (I guess that would have been Celestia).

Good Luck in the future on this idea.

We don't know what the next expansion will be, I am hoping they will continue the Wysteria story line, but who knows, they could expand on the Grizzleheim and Wintertusk story line.

These ideas are for the next expansion story line.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
kingurz wrote:
darthjt wrote:

I'm curious, why 3 traps instead of two?

I understand why Fire gets three, since it compliments their DoT spells. Myth really only needs two to slightly boost their double hit spells (since currently Myth trap spamming is turn consuming).

Only one reason I can think of for making it like the fire one, the Humongofrog pet. It is an AoE Dot spell. So, this spell would work great for that spell, or great for any double attack spell.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Yep, but if you have suggestions or idea how to change it, they would be greatly appreciated.

All I can think is, "You're casting 3 Fire Traps on up to 4 different targets?" To be honest, I'm not a fan of this idea in general. It seems kinda unoriginal, and there's no way to make it original with the other trap variation spells. I feel like Fire focuses more on charms than wards, so do something with that.

I lowered the heal to 120, since Ice is not life. There has also been the suggestion of making this an Ice absorb, but I like the thought of ice having some type of healing, what do you think, as long as it is not too powerful.

To me, Ice's medium (even though every Thaumaturge in the Spiral will smack me silly for saying so) is to be a tank. They can deal moderate damage, but their main purpose is to act as a shield, distracting the enemies from their allies and protecting them with shielding spells. I think giving Ice a healing spell (even a small one) completely defeats the purpose of Ice. Spirit Armor would be too Life, but I like the idea of an AOE Ice Armor. It just can't be too powerful.

You are exactly right, it does, and practically is, but it is made for storm, like storm has a moon spell already. This is a protection spell specifically for storms blades and shield, although it does offer storm some desperately needed protection for their low health.

True, but you're comparing apples and oranges. Insane Bolt is technically still a Storm spell because its purpose as a Hail Mary spell is to either harm the target or effectively defeat the caster. If it was Storm damage, there would be no point since Diviners have access to Storm resistance. Although Storm is very vulnerable, that's just the nature of Storm. A very effective attacker, but its weakness is that its vulnerable in terms of health and protection. Have KI gone a bit overboard with that notion? Yes. Should Diviners have a bit more health and protection to rely on? Yes. Is a protection spell the way to do it? No in my opinion, and especially not through an out of place spell.

Good point, would changing it to balance damage only be better? Since everyone complains about Power Play, this would keep Balance in the running for a global aura that benefits them.

Like I said, I am not a fan of environment spells. I think that was the strangest idea KI ever came up with. I can only speak for myself, but as a Sorcerer, I'm perfectly fine with damage. I will admit we do have it pretty easy compared to other schools (and well deserved, because being a low level Sorcerer is crazy hard), so I'm not exactly sure what to suggest for Balance that won't have people jumping down my throat.

Ok, maybe a bit overpowered, changed it to do what sprite does, except to all friends, although, that might be a bit too underpowered. Do you have any suggestions?

A bit? But seriously, the spell seems more like an upgrade of heal (by the way, the name reminds me a soft drink rather than a Life spell) than a legit utility spell. There's a distinct difference between the two. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions here...Life is hard.

lol what's wrong with the name? hehehehe I thinks it's funny.

I guess there's nothing explicitly wrong with the name...it's just not my cup of tea. I'm not a fan of the name Doom and Gloom either.

Okay, really? This is exactly like Petroleum, and here it makes even less sense.

Defender
Jul 12, 2009
darthjt wrote:
magicintheair wrote:

So, are you saying no school is allowed to borrow any types of spells that other schools have?

Do most schools not have DoT, are those not fire?
Does fire not have attack/heal spells, are those not death?
Does efreet not cast weakness? is that not death?
The list goes on and on.

Storm has an opposite of Myth, or so the story starts out. What better school to have protection of their power than storm with an earthquake proof spell?

calm down, dude. I'm not hating, I'm just saying. Storm would likely not use it because they focus on killing quickly and getting out of there. Meanwhile ice is made to stay and protect. Not heal, but defend.
Do any of the spells you listed force the player to deul differently? Nope.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Okay, with the help of all the comments above, the following changes have been made, please tell me what you think of the revisions:

3 Pips, casts 2 +25% fire traps on all enemies

Ice: Legion Armor
3 pips, Ice Armor that absorbs 200 damage to all friends.
Or:
Ice: Black Ice
3pips, +30% resistance to all attacks & protects all wards and charms for 4 rounds. (Self Aura)

Storm: Neutralize
3 pips, Removes all positive charms on oppontent

3 pips, 2 +25% myth traps on all enemies

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Okay, with the help of all the comments above, the following changes have been made, please tell me what you think of the revisions:

3 Pips, casts 2 +25% fire traps on all enemies

Ice: Legion Armor
3 pips, Ice Armor that absorbs 200 damage to all friends.
Or:
Ice: Black Ice
3pips, +30% resistance to all attacks & protects all wards and charms for 4 rounds. (Self Aura)

Storm: Neutralize
3 pips, Removes all positive charms on oppontent

3 pips, 2 +25% myth traps on all enemies

Why not make the Balance aura effect all schools but start effecting in the next round? That way it's much more of an effective spell.