Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

advanced pet hatching question

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 03, 2011
so after three weeks of dedicated hatching i finally got a pet that gave me spell proof.
it gave me the talent at adult.
at teen it gave me pip o plenty which being storm is also good since currently im at 70% power pip chance.

so here is my question.

is it better to stop training this pet right now, use it for further along hatching since its got 2 very desirable abilities as it is right now.

or should i train it to epic and cross my fingers it gets two other useful abilities. because if it doesnt that means future hatches may have these other two unwanted abilities in the pedigree.

im just starting to get into the mechanics of hatching, ive been training 4 pets at a time basically non stop for 3 weeks, and i literally mean that. i grind out gold on my storm wizard all night for snacks/hatching fees to play nothing but minigames all morning and night on all 4 of my wizards.

thank you for your input

Armiger
May 10, 2010
To answer your question, which is not exactly easy to explain.

Yes, I would for the time being, stop training and hatch that pet with other pets that have talents you want. Reasons being:

Manifested talents have a higher chance of being passed, not much higher, but higher.

Pets that have a dominant talent, have the highest chance of passing that specific talent, if manifested or not, although, it is still even higher if it is manifested. So, if it has a dominant talent of say Health gift, it has less of a chance of being passed if it is not manifested.

Hope this helps!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
If you like the abilities you already have, then yes you should keep training to higher levels. The opposite would be true if your pet acquires a trait you don't want at teen or adult.

Survivor
Nov 03, 2011
darthjt wrote:
To answer your question, which is not exactly easy to explain.

Yes, I would for the time being, stop training and hatch that pet with other pets that have talents you want. Reasons being:

Manifested talents have a higher chance of being passed, not much higher, but higher.

Pets that have a dominant talent, have the highest chance of passing that specific talent, if manifested or not, although, it is still even higher if it is manifested. So, if it has a dominant talent of say Health gift, it has less of a chance of being passed if it is not manifested.

Hope this helps!

tyvm!

Explorer
Sep 19, 2009
mrthroatyogurt wrote:
so after three weeks of dedicated hatching i finally got a pet that gave me spell proof.
at teen it gave me pip o plenty which being storm is also good since currently im at 70% power pip chance.

so here is my question.

is it better to stop training this pet right now, use it for further along hatching since its got 2 very desirable abilities as it is right now.

or should i train it to epic and cross my fingers it gets two other useful abilities. because if it doesnt that means future hatches may have these other two unwanted abilities in the pedigree.

im just starting to get into the mechanics of hatching, ive been training 4 pets at a time basically non stop for 3 weeks, and i literally mean that. i grind out gold on my storm wizard all night for snacks/hatching fees to play nothing but minigames all morning and night on all 4 of my wizards.

thank you for your input

Well, whether you should stop or not depends on some things. if you would like a higher pedigree of the same pet i would stop at adult and try hatching for higher pedigrees. if your happy with your pedigree and number of epic talents, you should train until epic. odds are if you have a pet with good stats, the next to talents wont be disapointing. this is personal experiance since i actually do this myself. hope this helped.

Samantha Hawkrider Transcended Theurgist

Survivor
Jan 28, 2010
what is meant by "dominant" talent. Is that different from a manifested talent?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
MelodyShade wrote:

What is meant by dominant talent, is that a pet can get a talent, be it Storm shot, or health gift, or disarmament, or even a spritely or spell proof talent can be the dominant talent on a pet.

Then, when you hatch with that pet, the dominant talent always passes and will almost always manifest in the offspring. That is why it is considered a dominant talent, because they always pass and manifest and are very hard to get rid of.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
mrthroatyogurt wrote:

so here is my question.

thank you for your input

Hatch once, so that pet can train off its abilities, and then train your pet to epic.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2010
is there a way to tell if a talent is dominant without just seeing it show up hatching after hatching?

can a pet have more than one dominant talent?

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
darthjt wrote:
MelodyShade wrote:

What is meant by dominant talent, is that a pet can get a talent, be it Storm shot, or health gift, or disarmament, or even a spritely or spell proof talent can be the dominant talent on a pet.

Then, when you hatch with that pet, the dominant talent always passes and will almost always manifest in the offspring. That is why it is considered a dominant talent, because they always pass and manifest and are very hard to get rid of.

Along with what Darthjt has stated, let me explain this from a different point of view. (Here I am ignoring the Derby Talents, and only talking about the Talent traits.

I have hatched a lot, and I strongly believe this is exactly what happens.
I have a lot of hatches, in which I kept track of the parents and all talents.

You have two pets that are going to hatch, Pet A and Pet B.
Pet A has four talents that will show up, if you bring it up to Epic.
We will call these four talents Talent Group A.
Pet B has four talents that will show up, if you bring it up to Epic.
We will call these four talents Talent Group B.

It does not matter if you bring the pets up to Adult or Epic, the four Talents are already picked out at the monent they were hatched.

You hatch Pet A and Pet B and you get a new Pet called Pet C.

Pet C will get the Talent Group A and also Talent Group B.
This will only be 8 of the 10 that it needs.
Then it gets one random talent from Pet A, that is not in the
Talent Groupt A. This one Random Talent from Pet A will bring it to 9 talents.
Then it gets one random talent from Pet B, that is not in the
Talent Groupt B. This one Random Talent from Pet B will bring it to 10 talents.

Now you have 10 new Talents in your Pet C.
Randomly, four Talents are selected from this new group of Ten, but I don't think it totally random.
I believe that Three are selected from Talent Group A and B.
One is selected from the two Random selected talents from Pet A and B.

So if you know what 8 Talents you have with two Epic Pets, you only know what three of the new talents in Pet C will be.

This will fully explain what is happening, and I think if you keep track of each hatch, you will see this happen over and over again.

Note: Please let me know if you can prove this wrong, as I would like any fact to prove or disprove this pattern I have been seeing.

Joe.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Joe has an interesting thought about pet hatching, although there are some flaws in his theory.

Say both pets have spell proof, spell defy, spritely, and pain giver, it will not give the new pet 2 spell proof slots, 2 spell defy, slots, 2 spritely slots, 2 pain giver slots, and 1 random slot from each pet.

That is not how it works.

However, if both pets have these talents manifested, you do have a much higher chance of the pet inheriting these talents.

Although, it is possible, although unlikely that one of these talents might not even be transferred to the new pet. It is still possible to lose one of the talents, although highly unlikely.

Pets are sometimes very confusing on the hatch process, but if you watch closely and keep track of what you hatch and what you are using to hatch, you can start to see what talents are dominant, meaning, if you use one specific pet to hatch and the offspring always gets one specific talent, that pet has a dominant talent of passing.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Joe has an interesting thought about pet hatching, although there are some flaws in his theory.

Say both pets have spell proof, spell defy, spritely, and pain giver, it will not give the new pet 2 spell proof slots, 2 spell defy, slots, 2 spritely slots, 2 pain giver slots, and 1 random slot from each pet.

That is not how it works.

However, if both pets have these talents manifested, you do have a much higher chance of the pet inheriting these talents.

Although, it is possible, although unlikely that one of these talents might not even be transferred to the new pet. It is still possible to lose one of the talents, although highly unlikely.

Pets are sometimes very confusing on the hatch process, but if you watch closely and keep track of what you hatch and what you are using to hatch, you can start to see what talents are dominant, meaning, if you use one specific pet to hatch and the offspring always gets one specific talent, that pet has a dominant talent of passing.

As Darthjt stated, sometimes it is a very confusing Hatch Process.
Along with the item I missed, here is something else, that adds to the confusion.
The Pets that have Five Talents, and I have seen two of these in the game.
Once with double (2) spell proof slots, and one with (2) spell defy slots.
Yes, it can happen and has happen, you can get two of one talent, and then three other talents on the same pet.
I have never had this happen to my brother or me, and we have hatched a lot of pets over the past several years. There are people that have them, and I have seen them myself...

Joe.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
I have seen one pet with double pain giver. I have not seen any pets with double spell proof, or double spell defy.

However, if they do exsist, I believe they are errors and not meant to be possible.

As many pets as I have hatched and trained, I am amazed I do not have one myself, so I am sure, that somehow there is a trick to this, which has yet to be unvieled.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
darthjt wrote:
I have seen one pet with double pain giver. I have not seen any pets with double spell proof, or double spell defy.

However, if they do exsist, I believe they are errors and not meant to be possible.

As many pets as I have hatched and trained, I am amazed I do not have one myself, so I am sure, that somehow there is a trick to this, which has yet to be unvieled.

Darthjt,

It's not "if they do exsist", as they do exsist, I can tell you for sure.
What caught my brother's eye, was the extremely high resist that one fire wizard had. He starting looking at the gear to see how he got it. Finally when he looked at the pet, we saw how he got it. The pet had double Spell proof and three other talents. I don't remember what type of pet it was now, but it wasn't a Sea Lion. It may be a bug in the program, maybe like hatching two of the same pets that have all the same talents or something.

Can anyone reading this, if you have one of these pets, can you list what it is, or what you hatched to get it?

Thanks,
Joe.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Darthjt,

It's not "if they do exsist", as they do exsist, I can tell you for sure.
What caught my brother's eye, was the extremely high resist that one fire wizard had. He starting looking at the gear to see how he got it. Finally when he looked at the pet, we saw how he got it. The pet had double Spell proof and three other talents. I don't remember what type of pet it was now, but it wasn't a Sea Lion. It may be a bug in the program, maybe like hatching two of the same pets that have all the same talents or something.

Can anyone reading this, if you have one of these pets, can you list what it is, or what you hatched to get it?

Thanks,
Joe.

First off, some pets can get Spell Defy at a high state, so that's most likely the reasoning. I can tell you about the other 3 talents. 1 of those, isn't a talent at all, but a spell that the pet gives itself. I've seen Spell Defy at 10% and 15% Spell Proof, and that's just on 1 pet! Many pets can give insane varieties of resist, damage, healing, accuracy or just plain spells. There are 2 talents that give resist, so that's most likely the problem.

Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
how do i get the rare pet hybrid called horror anyone all i know is that it is unicorn with a level 58 or 48 pet in hatchery

Survivor
May 24, 2009
If i am trying to hatch a hybrid and I get the pet that the other person had
can I use that pet to hatch a hybrid, for example if i hatch my helephant with someones hydra and I get a hydra, can I then use the hydra I just recieved to hatch with my helephant to make a helion hybrid pet?

Survivor
Nov 27, 2011
I hatched my Forest Lord with a Kraken and got a Cloud Beast. I placed it with my Death Wizard and now I can't cast his ability enraged forest lord, The card comes up but I seem to not get enough pips or something to cast it. Do I have him on the wrong wizard?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
cyndi1963 wrote:
I hatched my Forest Lord with a Kraken and got a Cloud Beast. I placed it with my Death Wizard and now I can't cast his ability enraged forest lord, The card comes up but I seem to not get enough pips or something to cast it. Do I have him on the wrong wizard?

Yes, it costs 8 life pips to cast this spell, so unless you are life, or have a life mastery amulet, you wont be able to cast the spell.

Defender
Mar 11, 2011
No darthjt. They are not double proof/defy. One is spell PROOF. The other is spell DEFY.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
thewiz28 wrote:
No darthjt. They are not double proof/defy. One is spell PROOF. The other is spell DEFY.

Actually Wiz, if you had been reading the conversation that Joe and I were having, I have seen a pet with Pain giver twice. I have not seen a pet with spell proof or spell defy twice, but Joes says he has.

Apparently, somehow, it is possible to get a pet with Spell proof, Spell proof, Spell Defy, and Spell defy for 30 universal resistance. I have not seen it anywhere in the spiral, but apparently, some have.

That is not one with proof and one with defy, I have a plethora of those pets. But to have a double spell proof pet, that interests me.