Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

KSing in low-level areas=not cool.

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 12, 2011
...to be quite honest, I didn't even know that was possible in this game.

So, I made another wizard (because my main account is out of space, haha)~ Amy is a baby Death wiz, and she's pretty strong, so I took her around Unicorn Way to smash some faeries for Lady Oriel's quest. Here's what happened next:

Got dragged into combat with another person (a young child with menu chat), who fled, leaving me to kill both faeries... Fine and well, since I figured that, at level 3-4, Amy could handle it just fine. But then, some higher-level wizard (who was obviously over level 20; she was casting heck hounds and Sunbirds) joined the fight and dragged in ANOTHER faerie. When all was said and done, I only got credit for ONE kill out of three.

Yeah, I get that the high-level person probably thought she was doing me a "favour", but.... really? My first reaction was to tell her that I knew how the game worked and to leave me alone, but it wasn't like she *asked* before joining my fight if I wanted/needed help. And what if, instead of me, it had been a child on the short end of the stick? Isn't this game about fairness and distributing rewards evenly so players don't have to fight over them?

So, what's the deal- is kill-stealing legit or not? Is it a glitch, or one of those annoying-but-non-reportable things like scamming or chain-stunning? If someone could explain this to me, I'd be very grateful.

/rant.

Amy Spiritthief
apprentice necromancer.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
There is no such thing as "kill-stealing". Everyone gets slightly different rewards for a fight based on numerous factors:
The natural drops of the enemies
the quest required to complete in regards to whatever enemy you must defeat.
3 people can defeat the same mob of enemies and either get the same exact rewards or slightly different rewards.

You can't assume that the person who jumps into your fight did so on purpose or did so to "do you a favor" or anything unless specified by that person. It's a public game. Either go with the flow or switch to an empty realm. Sometimes, it can't be helped when someone will get pulled into a fight. some enemies might respawn right where a player happens to be walking, instantly pulling them in. I've even been pulled into a fight from really long distances before. I'm talking like, almost a quarter of a map distance...

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
KSing is not possible in this game. Read the quest description carefully.

There are two similar types of quests. 1.) Defeat X amount of enemies and 2.) Collect X amount of "stuff."

Collect quests may require more than 12 enemies to get one update to your quest book.

You were likely on the "Finding Out Why" quest from Lady Oriel which requires you to collect 3 Fairy Dust.

In this instance, the more fairies you face increases the chance you get more fairy dust. So they were actually doing you a favor.

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
I had something very similar happen in the haunted cave, but after the first person fled... if I recall correctly, I toasted the monsters before the new high-level joiner could snatch too much of the xp. I chalked it up to coincidence at the time but, now that I've read your story, I'm starting to wonder. That seems like an awful lot of trouble for a high level character to go through, however. I guess I'm not really sure what to make of it if it's actually a thing that people are doing deliberately.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
If you don't play well with others, Wizard 101 is likely not the ideal game for you. It is an MMORPG, a social environment. Did you notice that there are always 4 spots in the battle sigil? Ever wonder why?

Man, all these "I wanna play alone!" posts are making me grumpy.

Qbb

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
CorbinW wrote:
There is no such thing as "kill-stealing". Everyone gets slightly different rewards for a fight based on numerous factors:
The natural drops of the enemies
the quest required to complete in regards to whatever enemy you must defeat.
3 people can defeat the same mob of enemies and either get the same exact rewards or slightly different rewards.

You can't assume that the person who jumps into your fight did so on purpose or did so to "do you a favor" or anything unless specified by that person. It's a public game. Either go with the flow or switch to an empty realm. Sometimes, it can't be helped when someone will get pulled into a fight. some enemies might respawn right where a player happens to be walking, instantly pulling them in. I've even been pulled into a fight from really long distances before. I'm talking like, almost a quarter of a map distance...
Agreed, CorbinW. Kill-stealing, however, probably started in another game (maybe WoW?) where who kills the monster does matter (turn-based combat is the reason it doesn't exist here).

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
you get experience based on the level of the spells you cast. I f you don't believe me just go down to unicorn way and defeat a monster with a level two spell, then defeat another with a level five spell. So yeah you will have to do some passing to get enough pips. You may notice a difference in exp. Next go find a monster that takes two level two spells to kill. Kill it with the two level two spells. Next, kill the same monster with a single higher level spell. Again; note the difference. In experience you receive. Each time you cast a spell you get experience, this is why you get less experience for killing a group of monsters with one area of effect damage spell. If you want to test it just cast meteor or humongo frog to kill multiple enemies, then try to kill the same group with single target spells.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
I agree, it is annoying when people join your battle sand then flee and leave you with another one to fight. But that's not really what the game is all about.

Survivor
Jul 11, 2011
tocalaure89 wrote:

So, I made another wizard (because my main account is out of space, haha)~ Amy is a baby Death wiz, and she's pretty strong, so I took her around Unicorn Way to smash some faeries for Lady Oriel's quest. Here's what happened next:

Got dragged into combat with another person (a young child with menu chat), who fled, leaving me to kill both faeries... Fine and well, since I figured that, at level 3-4, Amy could handle it just fine. But then, some higher-level wizard (who was obviously over level 20; she was casting heck hounds and Sunbirds) joined the fight and dragged in ANOTHER faerie. When all was said and done, I only got credit for ONE kill out of three.

Yeah, I get that the high-level person probably thought she was doing me a "favour", but.... really? My first reaction was to tell her that I knew how the game worked and to leave me alone, but it wasn't like she *asked* before joining my fight if I wanted/needed help. And what if, instead of me, it had been a child on the short end of the stick? Isn't this game about fairness and distributing rewards evenly so players don't have to fight over them?

So, what's the deal- is kill-stealing legit or not? Is it a glitch, or one of those annoying-but-non-reportable things like scamming or chain-stunning? If someone could explain this to me, I'd be very grateful.

/rant.

Amy Spiritthief
apprentice necromancer.

I've seen this happen MANY times. Some of the higher lvl people in unicorn way usually are waiting for a pvp match to start, but several just want to show off their spells to the newer wizards. This also happens vise versa, where a lower lvl will literally run into a match with a higher lvl and just shield themselves. I'm lvl 67 ice and like to farm nightshade for dark wooden crates. I almost always get ambushed and forced to fight creatures. Then a low lvl will see me fighting it and join to try to make their quests go faster. So yes it is a problem that needs to be addressed.

And for CorbinW, I happen to know from experience that your wrong. You can get higher rewards depending on how many you kill, how long it takes you to kill them, and if you or someone else did the bulk of the damage on said creature.

Explorer
Jun 12, 2011
queenlybluebean wrote:
If you don't play well with others, Wizard 101 is likely not the ideal game for you. It is an MMORPG, a social environment. Did you notice that there are always 4 spots in the battle sigil? Ever wonder why?

Qbb

No need to be rude. I simply asked a question- that's what the boards are for, aren't they? If you're looking for an argument, I suggest you start one elsewhere.

My preference is for playing alone, but I'm not against grouping up (unless it's a "requirement"). I am against kill-stealing, though, because it doesn't seem fair and shouldn't have a place in a "family-friendly" game. If I were 10 or 11, I would have been very upset by this, which made me wonder... this probably happens to kids, too, and that's my issue.

To whoever asked about it, it was not a defeat-and-collect. It was "kill X enemies", not "collect X amount of items", so I must have gotten the quests mixed up in my original post.

Thanks to those of you who actually DID help.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
This isnt a shooter online game or anything where kills matter.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
tocalaure89 wrote:

To whoever asked about it, it was not a defeat-and-collect. It was "kill X enemies", not "collect X amount of items", so I must have gotten the quests mixed up in my original post.

Thanks to those of you who actually DID help.
No matter what the quest was, you will get credit. While they were designing the game, they were aware that outcomes could be affected by who joins first. Thus, to prevent "kill-stealing", they ensured everyone in battle would get credit for a quest that would be affected by it.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
I agree there is no KS-ing in this game.

I think, like it was mentioned before, most of the people who complain of this are coming from another MMO or where leveling is basedo n grind. you level depending on the number of mobs you kill.

This game is quest oriented. the xp you get from fighting mobs is so insignificant that there really is no reason to complain about people entering "your fight". The bottom line is the more people are fighting with you the better because it helps you finish your quests faster.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
tocalaure89 wrote:

/rant.

Amy Spiritthief
apprentice necromancer.

What you get counted for is just luck and chance.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
tocalaure89 wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:

Qbb

No need to be rude. I simply asked a question- that's what the boards are for, aren't they? If you're looking for an argument, I suggest you start one elsewhere.

My preference is for playing alone, but I'm not against grouping up (unless it's a "requirement"). I am against kill-stealing, though, because it doesn't seem fair and shouldn't have a place in a "family-friendly" game. If I were 10 or 11, I would have been very upset by this, which made me wonder... this probably happens to kids, too, and that's my issue.

Like I said, there are four sigils in every battle. There are no areas where you can solo in street battles. There have never been such solo options in this game. That's a WoW mechanic, and if you want such an option, that's where to go.

Sorry if you think I'm rude, but I think it's silly to complain about someone joining your battle in a profoundly social game.

Qbb

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
tocalaure89 wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:

Qbb

Like I said, there are four sigils in ever battle. There are no areas where you can solo in street battles. There have never been such solo options in this game. That's a WoW mechanic, and if you want such that's where to go.

Sorry if you think I'm rude, but I think it's silly to complain about someone joining your battle in a profoundly social game.

Qbb
Agreed, Qbb!

Survivor
May 01, 2010
happens in ZF... i like to solo all the time, and you get the noob level 70's come and join your fight and ruin it all for you... you end up dying

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
muttly889 wrote:
happens in ZF... i like to solo all the time, and you get the noob level 70's come and join your fight and ruin it all for you... you end up dying

Noob level 70s?

LOL. Now I've heard it all.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
so tell me folks do you get credit for the critters your minions kill? Kinda important considering myth has a lot of minions and several spells devoted to enhancing their minions...

But not to worry! like I, said you get experience based on the level and number of spells you cast during a battle. I have been a support character in battles; just passing out blades and traps, and occasionally healing people I didn't kill a thing. I still got experience after the battle This wasn't quest experience, I got that when I talked to the quest giver afterwards. I also got some nifty equipment from that battle.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
zebulous wrote:
so tell me folks do you get credit for the critters your minions kill?

Yes you do.

The game calculates how many enemies were defeated with your participation at the end of the duel (doesn't matter who defeated who). That's why if you enter a duel late where someone already defeated one of the three enemies you don't get credit for all three. Same thing if you flee/die during a duel when someone defeats one of the enemies and you return later, you won't get credit either.

Since minions don't last without their master, the same cannot be said for them. So they can't be used as "placeholders." But just like human players, attacks/kills by minions don't change your credit either.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
kingurz wrote:
zebulous wrote:

Yes you do.
//////////
But just like human players, attacks/kills by minions don't change your credit either.

Here I am trying to get the rival faction to explain to me why summoning a minion isn't KSing yourself. (If they said that it was, then I would point out that Myth would be the school that gets the least experience. If they claimed that the game gave them credit for their minion's kill. I would challenge them to summon a minion and then pass every round until the monster was killed by the minion.) I am trying to maneuver them into making an awkward or weak sounding explanation.

If they sound awkward or, have a weak sounding argument, then other people are more likely to dismiss their point of view.

You start by answering that yes people do get credit from their minion's kills, then you end by saying minions do not change the amount of credit their owner receives.
Sooo could you rephrase your comment so that your first sentence agrees with your last sentence?

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
From what I've seen, the experince you receive is based on the time taken to kill the enemy.

You see the glittering and sparkling dust that builds up around your character in the game the longer you stay in the fight? Well the more sparkly that gets, the more exp you receive.

So if a high level orlow level wizard kills the enemy too quickly - then you will get less EXP.

But frankly speaking - who cares? By the time you get to CL or ZF you'll join the rest of us who have stopped turning in missions becuase we cannot collect on the exp bonuses that are offered.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
zebulous wrote:
kingurz wrote:
zebulous wrote:

Yes you do.
//////////
But just like human players, attacks/kills by minions don't change your credit either.

You start by answering that yes people do get credit from their minion's kills, then you end by saying minions do not change the amount of credit their owner receives.
Sooo could you rephrase your comment so that your first sentence agrees with your last sentence?

Well I'm sorry it doesn't make sense to you, but the phrase still stands.

Your minions do not affect your credit. So you still get credit if you minion gets the killing blow.

Whether you bring out a minion or not, you are still going to receive the xp and drops for two enemies regardless (if your solo; more drops if your grouped).

Explorer
Dec 25, 2010
There isn't any such thing as Kill-Stealing. The items are given to you directly and not left on the ground. So nobody can steal the item. It's just bad luck not getting a lot of items for killing alot of guys.

And higher levels don't jump in to help you. I go to Unicorn way as a level 70 and because I'm bored. I do it just because I know they won't be able to kill all the bosses before I get to 'show off' my high level attacks. Which frankly gets more Oohs and Ahhs then, 'Why did you join this battle?'

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
muttly889 wrote:
Um could you explain what you mean by NOOB level 70's? I mean seriously dude they are level 70's for a reason, they didn't get there by chatting in the commons all day. Like kingurz said, I have officially heard it all!

Courtney Greenthistle Level 70 Transcended Thaumaturge