Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Random Talents? Not from both Parents?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Aug 15, 2009
So I hatch a pet with my Attentive Hound having following talents manifested: May cast Pierce, may cast spritely, proof and pain giver.

The other pet was an Ianthine Hound with following talents manifested: May cast tower shield, pain giver and spritely.

So I ended up getting an Ianthine Hound, now i have train it up to ancient and it got the following talents: May cast pierce, pain giver, and pip o plenty.

Pip o Plenty neither both parents had manifest it, both parents have spritely and hasn't even manifest yet.

I keep getting random talents with my new pets which neither the original parents had, why is that?

Supposedly hatching a new pet will take into consideration the talents already manifested on both parent pets?

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Daviato wrote:
So I hatch a pet with my Attentive Hound having following talents manifested: May cast Pierce, may cast spritely, proof and pain giver.

The other pet was an Ianthine Hound with following talents manifested: May cast tower shield, pain giver and spritely.

So I ended up getting an Ianthine Hound, now i have train it up to ancient and it got the following talents: May cast pierce, pain giver, and pip o plenty.

Pip o Plenty neither both parents had manifest it, both parents have spritely and hasn't even manifest yet.

I keep getting random talents with my new pets which neither the original parents had, why is that?

Supposedly hatching a new pet will take into consideration the talents already manifested on both parent pets?

In my experience, you have greater odds of the new hatched pet having one or more of the manifested parental talents, however, I've often had "recessive" talents show up on the new generation as well. My guess would be that (same as in life) its a bit of a grab bag. I've had hatched pets that have expressed none of the parental manifested talents before as well.

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
It's not talents that the parents have developed, it's any talents that the parents COULD have developed. Check the petnome project to see all of the talents that each parent can pass on.

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
Daviato wrote:

Out of both parents a set of talents are chosen randomly ( manifested and unmanifested, which are the ones that were possible talents but were never accomplished ). Then out of the new sets of talents 4 are randomly chosen from each category and thats how you ended up with random talents.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
Daviato wrote:

Just because parents have manifested a talent does NOT mean it will be passed on to the offspring. Just because the Talent was Manifested on BOTH parents does not mean it will Manifest on the offspring.

When you hatch, it's a roll of the dice.