Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Paying Members vs. Free Players

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 14, 2011
***If a Moderator could rename this thread to: Random Problems
That would be a better awesome, as i'm going to add more issues i've come upon, thanks!***

Maybe its just my horrible luck.

I seem to find that people who don't buy yearly members, seem to get quest drops VERY fast (ie, go kill 'said mob' for 4 drops) compared to myself, who is paying by the year for membership.

I've killed 16 crustacean clawcutters now, for a simple 4 drops quest requirement, which I was hoping to get out of the way within 12 kills (thats just 1 in 3 odds.) You know how long some battles can drag out and I still have yet to see one drop after 16 kills... I'm looking at 64 plus kills at this rate.

This is NOT the first drop quest that i'm getting this problem on. Friends who don't buy members, they do crowns and buy areas, seem to get these drop quests done before me by a HUGE margin.

Why? I know my luck can't be THAT horrible for EVERY single drop quest ... can it? Because if this is the case, (i know it won't get admitted to, if true) then I'll simply cancel my subscription. This seems unfair.

Anyone else going through this "did not collect xxxxx, try again!"? Thoughts?

---For the record, these Celestian mobs aren't hard by any account, they're much too predictable to be hard. It is just annoying to have to kill 40 plus mobs every time a drop quest comes along, while crown users got it easy. And yeah, I bought my fair share of crowns, too.---

I feel ripped off, almost.

Explorer
Dec 23, 2009
if you fight what you need to kill to get the drops with 2 or more people fighting then you have a better chance of getting what you need. but it's okay. i have the same problems.

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
AmennRa wrote:

I seem to find that people who don't buy yearly members, seem to get quest drops VERY fast (ie, go kill 'said mob' for 4 drops) compared to myself, who is paying by the year for membership.

I've killed 16 crustacean clawcutters now, for a simple 4 drops quest requirement, which I was hoping to get out of the way within 12 kills (thats just 1 in 3 odds.) You know how long some battles can drag out and I still have yet to see one drop after 16 kills... I'm looking at 64 plus kills at this rate.

This is NOT the first drop quest that i'm getting this problem on. Friends who don't buy members, they do crowns and buy areas, seem to get these drop quests done before me by a HUGE margin.

Why? I know my luck can't be THAT horrible for EVERY single drop quest ... can it? Because if this is the case, (i know it won't get admitted to, if true) then I'll simply cancel my subscription. This seems unfair.

---For the record, these Celestian mobs aren't hard by any account, they're much too predictable to be hard. It is just annoying to have to kill 40 plus mobs every time a drop quest comes along, while crown users got it easy. And yeah, I bought my fair share of crowns, too.---

Ok first off your not alone in this matter because most of the time it takes me a very long time to collect things from mobs but i tell you it is totally random .... i pay monthly for several accounts and my daughter complains all the time but she understands its just the mechanics of the game.... bad computer rolls of the dice is all.... i used to think that they had a count on how many you have to kill to just get one....but then i ran in to one quest where i got all 4 items when i fought with friends.... anyways your not alone and just in case you want to know .... the support group meets every thursday.... ;)

Thanks For Reading

Survivor
Oct 14, 2011
Thanks for those two replies.

Well, i'm glad its not just me. This system of randomness does seem a bit unorthodox, but I did manage to get this quest done after 23 kills, although it seemed a lot longer than that.

Anywho .. There is a few more things I would like to mention about the game, but I cannot find the paper I wrote it all down on.

dragonpower333 -

A support group, ...like the KI team meeting? or other ..?

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
AmennRa wrote:
Thanks for those two replies.

Well, i'm glad its not just me. This system of randomness does seem a bit unorthodox, but I did manage to get this quest done after 23 kills, although it seemed a lot longer than that.

Anywho .. There is a few more things I would like to mention about the game, but I cannot find the paper I wrote it all down on.

dragonpower333 -

A support group, ...like the KI team meeting? or other ..?

There is no support group sorry for the miss understanding is was ment to be funny... ;)

all though with all the problems that as rising In the Game lately Maybe we should start one... :-D

Survivor
Oct 02, 2010
I have three wizards (needed a fire wiz to make T.Cs)
My level 64 Myth and level 54 life suffer from the same problem
My new level 11 fire seems to only have to fight at the most two street mobs to get the single drop.

I have noticed that this seems to be worse in the more advanced worlds
maybe it is a game mechanic designed to slow your roll, like the towers with the cheating bosses who steal all your charms, it has to be easier to change a game mechanic then to creat another world for use to advance to

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
RUBY1234554321 wrote:
if you fight what you need to kill to get the drops with 2 or more people fighting then you have a better chance of getting what you need. but it's okay. i have the same problems.

Ruby1234554321 is right in this respect. You do have a better chance of collecting those drops when fighting with someone else.

I don't know how well this will work in ZF, but I have 2 accounts and have been running 2 of my wizards together. It has helped me complete those collections faster without having to fight more duels than necessary.

Survivor
Oct 02, 2010
Sorry for double post but it has been a week.

My gran daughter and I have learned it some times helps to change servers
when your farming for drops and stay off crowded servers

I have also learned to try different areas that have the needed thug get the drop

Survivor
Apr 25, 2011
Dec/2/2011 10:03 pm Subject: Paying Members vs. Free Players

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AmennRa wrote. Why? I know my luck can't be THAT horrible for EVERY single drop quest ... can it? Because if this is the case, (i know it won't get admitted to, if true) then I'll simply cancel my subscription. This seems unfair.

well... most of the times you gotta get friends to help the mroe you get with friends i tryed it it helped

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
paying members vs. free players is like comparing apples and oranges.

paying customers get to travel the spiral and things become a tad more difficult with each new world to test your metal as a wizard.

where as free players are restricted in movement...

Raven wood..... unicorn way.... shopping district....old town ... and triton ave.

now why should we not give them a good taste of what they can get
and how much fun they can have if they became a member.

so this complaint of the drops has no foundation to be played upon.
the free players are a lure to get the paying customers...
and for one i will say if they don't bite and pay for the game they lose out on hours of fun and the chance to meet an whole wide world of people and make cyber friends. i would not miss the opportunity to meet more people.

i just paid for my second year and i am waiting for the next world to test my wizards on and hopefully i will have a couple more up to the point where they can enter and play a new world and more friends along the way too.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
AmennRa wrote:
That would be a better awesome, as i'm going to add more issues i've come upon, thanks!***

just your bad luck.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2011
AmennRa wrote:

i think its just luck. i have always had this problem along with my family because they also play the game. it does get aggravating but you do get experience :-)

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
My usual play-partner pays per month, while I pay per year, and we've done a lot of analyzing and debunking of the drop myths (for the record: Position in the battle circle doesn't affect anything; a specific person killing a monster doesn't affect anything, and the speed of the battle itself is irrelevant). We found that, taken on a broad average, that we have the exact same drop odds.

Sure, sometimes the random drops seem to favour one over the other. But in the long run, looking at multiple battles, the odds even out.

TL;DR: You're just unlucky. It's random.

Defender
Feb 28, 2011
I never considered the subscription vs pay by area pros and cons, but I was about ready to rip my hair out in CL it was so frustrating. (along with hitting transcended before getting out of CL and being deprived of ZF just because my myth and life hit legend early, i dont think zf should have had the 'finish CL' restriction, just finish DS, hit legend then talk to merle; but anyhow, my 2 girls were fighting side by side with others or just the 2 of them, took over an hour of repeat battles with sharks and other CL enemies to get the required drops. My girls 'overheard' (saw the text chat lol) of another fed up player wanting to change realms if she didnt get what she needed after that battle. Well, my girls kept fighting same spot a bit longer, then changed realms, joined a single person trying to battle alone, and at the end of the battle we all had what we needed. So idk if it's 'the more players the better chance' I dont buy that idea cuz we tried a full house and it didnt help, but changing realms did, but only tried that once at the end of CL so idk if thats a sure fire way to fix the issue or not.