Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Raising Idea

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
Now that KI has allowed pets to snack on equipment and furniture, I think they should take the next logical step and allow wizards to feed our pets snacks and receive the experience from the snacks. Here is my logic for this:

1. I believe they would increase their sales on the snack packs and mega snack packs because you would not be required to play the mini games to level up your pet. The mini games are very time consuming and I think wizards would be more inclined to purchase the snack packs if they could just level up their pets by feeding them.
2. It would be easier for wizards to level up their pets and not have a bunch of pets running around their homes they think would be a waste of time to level up. Either that or open a pet shelter to adopt pets.
3. If you still want to incorporate the mini games, increase their level points to 12 (3 for each level) so minor snacks still have some contribution to leveling your pet, especially at the Ancient and Epic levels.

I realize this would make leveling your pet to Teen and Adult very easy, but it would also make it less time consuming to level to Ancient and Epic ( and it is very time consuming, not challenging). After all, this is just a side game to the real game we play, so why not make it more enjoyable to all besides just the ones who have all day to play the game?

Wolf Silverblade
Level 65

Survivor
May 13, 2010
pyelverton wrote:
Now that KI has allowed pets to snack on equipment and furniture, I think they should take the next logical step and allow wizards to feed our pets snacks and receive the experience from the snacks. Here is my logic for this:

1. I believe they would increase their sales on the snack packs and mega snack packs because you would not be required to play the mini games to level up your pet. The mini games are very time consuming and I think wizards would be more inclined to purchase the snack packs if they could just level up their pets by feeding them.
2. It would be easier for wizards to level up their pets and not have a bunch of pets running around their homes they think would be a waste of time to level up. Either that or open a pet shelter to adopt pets.
3. If you still want to incorporate the mini games, increase their level points to 12 (3 for each level) so minor snacks still have some contribution to leveling your pet, especially at the Ancient and Epic levels.

I realize this would make leveling your pet to Teen and Adult very easy, but it would also make it less time consuming to level to Ancient and Epic ( and it is very time consuming, not challenging). After all, this is just a side game to the real game we play, so why not make it more enjoyable to all besides just the ones who have all day to play the game?

Wolf Silverblade
Level 65

I do like the idea of being able to feed snacks to the pet during the game, but it should be a certain extent so that way the training games won't be rendered useless. Like we could feed our pets any rank 3 or lower snack any time in the game, while if you want to use rank 4 or higher snack, then they have to be trained for that.

The idea of raising the points to 12 is nice as well, and maybe if our pet does exceptionally well in a mini game i.e. getting all 4 bullseyes in the cannon or achieving over 100pts in the maze, they should get bonus points for doing so.

Just a side note. For those who garden and train it is kinda difficult to be diligent about both

Survivor
May 28, 2009
pyelverton wrote:

Wolf Silverblade
Level 65
i totaly agree.that would be very awesome.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
I do like the idea of being able to feed snacks to the pet during the game, but it should be a certain extent so that way the training games won't be rendered useless. Like we could feed our pets any rank 3 or lower snack any time in the game, while if you want to use rank 4 or higher snack, then they have to be trained for that.

The idea of raising the points to 12 is nice as well, and maybe if our pet does exceptionally well in a mini game i.e. getting all 4 bullseyes in the cannon or achieving over 100pts in the maze, they should get bonus points for doing so.

Just a side note. For those who garden and train it is kinda difficult to be diligent about both

I think if you boost the points in the mini games then they won't be rendered useless. If you can get a perfect score (12 pts) five times in a series than that's 60 points which is more than a mega 9 snack will give you. That's not including the snack points. If you only allow pets to feed on level 4 snacks or smaller, than no one will buy the Mega Snack pack.

Wolf Silverblade
Now level 67

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
To justify the snacks for direct experience out of mini games every time, maybe it could be something done only after every battle. Although it would be a bit irritating having a prompt window at the end of every fight. Rewarding your pet for battle articipation is a must have option

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
I see the current pet feeding "improvement" to be a huge waste. The only benefit I truely get is if I need to empty my backpack in a hurry for something. The gold is usually not as good as what I get selling in the bazaar. I don't need more treasure cards, Harold is always fussing at me that I have too many as it is, and that means a trip to the bazaar to sell the ones I can or delete the ones I can't. Reagents are useful, but a rare thing. And the one thing I really want? Pet XP for stats? That can only be gotten by feeding crowns items or some no auction gear if I want to have any hope of seeing any experience with any consistency.

I agree with some of the posters here, I would love to see another option for "improvement". I really like the idea of being able to directly feed a pet, particularly after a battle in which you have used the pet. I don't even have a problem with limiting that to lower level snacks. Feeding megas would be nice, but I could live with just feeding regular snacks.

Anything that would help avoid the minigames would be great for me. My computer freezes up on the minigames every other game forcing me to exit and reload the game. It takes me 10 times longer to train a pet than it should because of this. A refresh button on the screen would really help a lot KI.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
pyelverton wrote:

Wolf Silverblade
Level 65

This idea is a good one, but, I'm afraid it will completely demolish minigames. Sure, the pet energy is also used for plants as well, but that energy will only be used for plants if that update is released.

'Kings' lets you eat the gear for rewards, not for pet training reasons. Frankly, I think the pet eating thing is useless unless there's no auction on an item which is for a different school. The Bazaar always gives you the better reward.

So you see, this might be game-breaking. And, I don't mean ground-breaking.

The pet training period is supposed to be time-consuming. If it wasn't, you just needed to get a brilliant pet and then you're one of the strongest wizards around. Sometimes, (if the pets give you a card at baby, a health boost at teen, a mana boost at adult, a defense boost at ancient, and a critical bonus at epic) a pet can act as if you're wearing another robe and amulet. Of course this is rare but it's still possible. And the PvP? Talk about long battles.

:P

Ian FrostBreeze
Lvl. 68 Thaumaturge
Waterworks Warrior

Survivor
Nov 16, 2011
I like the idea.. I have 3 pets and to be honest I got one pet (fire cat) to adult and don't plan on doing the others.. Games take up to much time.. I would rather level up my wizard than sit in pet area trying to level up my pet.. Sorry I know some pets help at times but you don't have to have them to fight.. So in that look the snacks and mega snack packs in my eyes would be a great idea.. Don't take out the pet games all together just level it half and half.. That's what I could see happening but that is just me!!

Sean SkullBlood
Wizard City Protector
LvL 27

Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
The pet training period is supposed to be time-consuming. If it wasn't, you just needed to get a brilliant pet and then you're one of the strongest wizards around. Sometimes, (if the pets give you a card at baby, a health boost at teen, a mana boost at adult, a defense boost at ancient, and a critical bonus at epic) a pet can act as if you're wearing another robe and amulet. Of course this is rare but it's still possible. And the PvP? Talk about long battles.

:P

Ian FrostBreeze
Lvl. 68 Thaumaturge
Waterworks Warrior

I appreciate your opinion Ian, but I have to respectfully disagree. First off, there are already wizards with pretty awesome pets and I would have to say that most of the owners have a lot of time to train and raise their pets (and a lot of them probably don't pay for the membership either). So does that mean that someone like myself who pays for the membership and doesn't have a lot of time just has to put up with it? I think it is unfair to members like myself and probably isn't a good business strategy for KI.
I also think that your reference to a pet with all great attributes is possible but highly unlikely. It doesn't have anything to do with the time to train or raise a pet. It is simply luck of what attributes the pet gets and believe me I have a lot of pets hanging around my house whose traits are not all that great.
And as I stated before, pet raising is a side game. I find it easier to level up my wizard than I do my pets, which I think is backwards. And people don't find pet raising challenging, they find it tedious. I made my suggestions because the last thing you want as a service provider business (which KI is) is for your customers to find a service tedious. I've never met anyone who has purchased or played a game because it was tedious, time consuming and boring.
I like some of the ideas that have come up like feeding snacks after a battle (heck, sometimes I need a real snack after a battle). It could still cost energy to feed your pets. Bumping up the points won for the minigames I think would help because it actually would help when you're training to Ancient and Epic. I just think it would make this part of the game more fun if they made it easier to train your pet up.

Wolf Silverblade
Level 69 and 1/2