Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Level 68 Balance Spell

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 13, 2009
I must say, i am very disappointed in Balances new spell, Chimera. I mean, all of the other schools have a spell worth trying to get. I think Chimera is weak as hydra, It does pretty much same damage as Hydra. DOes anyone else Agree?

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Hi. I think you're looking at the damage dealt per head. Don't. 340 per head, times 3 heads, equals 1020. almost as much as Leviathan's base damage, not to mention the fact that its hard to block if you don't carry spirit shield. If you don't like it, though, despite its massive damage, simply because it doesnt have a flashy icon next to that fist on the card, by all means.

Cya in the Spiral,

Paul Stormglade, Transcended Diviner

Go Sparks!

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
My beef with Chimera is that, in my opinion, the spell and Hydra should be in the same rank; there shouldn't be this absurd 3 rank disparity between the two spells. Adding Chimera so late without any precursor spells (no Spiritual version of Spectral Blast or Spectral Minion) is baffling to me, and it was terribly disappointing. If anything, I'd think Hydra would be stronger; the Elemental schools tend to be stronger than the Spiritual schools in my experience. Lastly, given the choice between a Spiritual attack spell and a Balance single attack spell, I'd rather have a Balance single attack spell. Adding a Spiritual spell just to appease whiners was kinda annoying to me.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2010
Ice32 wrote:
I must say, i am very disappointed in Balances new spell, Chimera. I mean, all of the other schools have a spell worth trying to get. I think Chimera is weak as hydra, It does pretty much same damage as Hydra. DOes anyone else Agree?

I have a Transended Balance wizard and, I'm sorry, but I don't agree.
If you boost Chimera up with Spirit Blades, Balance Blade, Blade Storm, and Spirit Traps it hits between 5,000 and 6,000.
I haven't tried using Treasure Spirit Blades and Traps yet, but just think how high it could go. :-)
Give it a try, you might change your mind.

Fallon Dragoncaller: Legendary Fire, Legendary Storm, Legendary Death, Grandmaster Life and Transended Balance

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Ice32 wrote:

I do not agree. I use this spell all the time. I consistently hit over 3,000 single target damage on Balance, Fire, Ice, and Storm enemies.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
dude you should be greatful it does 340 per head, in test realm it was 310 per head now they increased it and you want more?

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
There isn't a problem with the spell, its more of a problem with balance as a whole. We have no way to clear spirit shields, once someone puts one up, all we can do is waste our pips and attack into it (or not use chimera.)

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
Ice32 wrote:

I agree the spell is weak, I was also disappointed how my balance gets a Hydra knock-off...

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
I would have to disagree, this spell is not weak at all. I went up against Luska with this spell, and I can tell you, if you blade up properly, there isn't anything in the game that will stand against you. I did over 100,000 damage with the life head alone. Needless to say, I never saw the rest of the spell. Even with spirit shields, the damage is only reduced by 50%. Chimera is an awesome spell. It would be nice if it cost a few less pips, especially with the pips cost to add the spirit blades and spirit traps to make it really strong, but it is still a great spell.

Explorer
Mar 27, 2011
I am a big fan of chimera

let me explain:

First of all, it's the strongest spell we have (on the 100% chance, that is).

If you make your maths, a 10 pips judgement casts for 1000 (i count 10, because we often get 7 power pips, and will waste the 10th), a 6 pips hydra casts for (190*3=)570, and a spectral blast has 33% chances to cast for 365 damage, 33% for 440 and 33% for 550.

So, one pip on judgement is worth 100, the same on hyda is worth 95, the same on spectral is worth (on average) 112.9.

Now take hydra: if you count it as a 10 pips spells (as said above), one pip is worth 102. Which is just above judgement. But if you count it as a 9 pips spell, it gets to 113.3, that is 0.4 more than spectral blast.

Beside that, it hits on 3 different schools, and 3 times at once. As an example, when you load it properly, this spell is a one hit killer for all those cheating bosses that use 90% shields.

As of the spirit shield, the fact that this spells costs only 9 pips (so up to 5 power pips) allow you to use a shatter just before you cast it.. even without myth amulet

It's not a spell designed to kill all enemies, it's the one that will get rid of that annoying boss or NPE that would take ages if you were elemental or balance. And most important it's the one that completes the balance deck, as now we have power from all schools (as was said in the introduction.. "balance get a bit of each school")

This said, if it was to be reduced back to 310 and loose one pip, i wouldn't complain 8) (at the end of the day, all balance stuff is made to use power pips, so it's a shame to waste that tenth one for so little.. just saying )