Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Upset at the Mass Increase Cost of Henchmen

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 04, 2010
I understand that Wizard101 needs to make money but why increase the cost of Henchmen so drastically? One of the reasons I bought Crowns was so I could use the level 60 Henchmen to help me in the game. I have many friends in game but few are on when I am on, now with the Henchmen going from 60 Crowns to 200 Crowns and also costing 400 Crowns I’m never going to be able to play on my own an get through the game. This makes me sad because you’ve basically destroyed my reason for even buying Crowns which is also kind of bad for you because now I’ll have no reason to buy Crowns each month and I used to buy a lot.

I used to use Henchmen a lot when playing a lone in hard areas and if my friends are on I do stuff with them. I don’t think this mass increase in Henchmen cost was a good idea, I know some other people that if not for the Henchmen they’d never of gotten anywhere in the Game you’ve ruined one of the main reasons for us to buy Crowns and play the game. Now rather than being able to move through the game on our own, at our own pace, when we have time we have to wait around for when other people are on to get anywhere.

I don’t find this fun, I want to play the game and get through at my own pace and not have to depend on other people. Sure I can still buy Henchmen but it will use up my crowns so quickly that I’ll never be able to afford them to get to where I want in game where as before the amount of Crowns I would buy each month would cover any Henchmen I needed and a few, other things now I just don’t know.

I realize these Henchmen are stronger but they still disappear at the end of every fight and I don’t think it’s fair to charge so much for something that doesn’t last considering the amount of boss fights in game. I don’t see why you couldn’t of left the Henchmen as they were or gave people the choice, besides the level 60 Henchmen were just fine and the cost for them was fair in my opinion.

Level 60 cost 60 Crowns that is a Crown for every level I don’t see anything wrong with that and at 60 Crowns a Henchmen I’m more likely to buy two or three a fight so your still making money and I’m still buying Crowns. Now with this new change I’m less likely to buy Henchmen or Crowns this makes me sad I really liked having Crowns to buy all the cool, extra stuff.

Anyway that’s all I have to say, I’ll play the game a bit more an see how it goes but if I cannot get anywhere in game and have to depend on other people then I’ll cancel my subscription and my Crown buying. One of the many things I liked about this game was the Henchmen, their cost and the freedom to use them to move through the Worlds, catch up to friends and beat bosses.

I enjoy playing with other people too but if no one is on it is nice to be able to keep playing with Henchmen and not have to stop an wait for someone else to come along.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2011
I have to agree with the post. I tried a lvl 60 life and it seemed to me that it had the same spells as before. As above, lots of times it is hard to find a group in the less popular areas (Jotun, for example).

I had used henchmen many times and it was the main reason I would buy crowns as well.

I understand this is a MMO, and i like forming groups for WW, TOTH, and the like. However i prefer to solo when I can and with the henchmen, this makes it possible for the tougher fights, especially when its 3am here and none of my friends are on the same quest, or even on at all.

I love this game and I do not have a problem at all supporting it, as it is well maintained and updates are constant.

However, a more than three-fold price increase for a henchmen with 200 extra health seems to be rather unfair, when the one i used (life) seemed to have the same spells.

I have not tried any other henchmen, but i probably will to see how they perform. However i highly doubt that I will consider them a fair deal.

I do like all of the other new things in the update, and KI you are doing a fine job as usual with the game.

But please reconsider the pricing on the henchmen, (or maybe have them last for more than one fight?)

Thank you.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2011
Squire
Jun 19, 2009
Survivor
Sep 04, 2010
Someone can delete this post, all is good after playing a bit and it will not let me delete on my own.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2010
UGH. Agree 100%.
I just died in battle because I paid 200 crowns for a life henchmen and then got to watch him heal himself every round while I was getting killed. Literally every stinking round. Never attacked the boss either. What a waste of crowns and time.
You made a level 70, good for you. You want it to cost more? GREAT. But give me back the level sixty at a reasonable price. Otherwise, I will not be buying crowns, because henchmen were about the only use I had for them.

Survivor
May 12, 2009
i agree with this so much i could not agree more i agree 10000000000000% i think it is ridiculous.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
Shiola wrote:
I understand that Wizard101 needs to make money but why increase the cost of Henchmen so drastically? One of the reasons I bought Crowns was so I could use the level 60 Henchmen to help me in the game. I have many friends in game but few are on when I am on, now with the Henchmen going from 60 Crowns to 200 Crowns and also costing 400 Crowns I’m never going to be able to play on my own an get through the game. This makes me sad because you’ve basically destroyed my reason for even buying Crowns which is also kind of bad for you because now I’ll have no reason to buy Crowns each month and I used to buy a lot.

I used to use Henchmen a lot when playing a lone in hard areas and if my friends are on I do stuff with them. I don’t think this mass increase in Henchmen cost was a good idea, I know some other people that if not for the Henchmen they’d never of gotten anywhere in the Game you’ve ruined one of the main reasons for us to buy Crowns and play the game. Now rather than being able to move through the game on our own, at our own pace, when we have time we have to wait around for when other people are on to get anywhere.

I don’t find this fun, I want to play the game and get through at my own pace and not have to depend on other people. Sure I can still buy Henchmen but it will use up my crowns so quickly that I’ll never be able to afford them to get to where I want in game where as before the amount of Crowns I would buy each month would cover any Henchmen I needed and a few, other things now I just don’t know.

I realize these Henchmen are stronger but they still disappear at the end of every fight and I don’t think it’s fair to charge so much for something that doesn’t last considering the amount of boss fights in game. I don’t see why you couldn’t of left the Henchmen as they were or gave people the choice, besides the level 60 Henchmen were just fine and the cost for them was fair in my opinion.

Level 60 cost 60 Crowns that is a Crown for every level I don’t see anything wrong with that and at 60 Crowns a Henchmen I’m more likely to buy two or three a fight so your still making money and I’m still buying Crowns. Now with this new change I’m less likely to buy Henchmen or Crowns this makes me sad I really liked having Crowns to buy all the cool, extra stuff.

Anyway that’s all I have to say, I’ll play the game a bit more an see how it goes but if I cannot get anywhere in game and have to depend on other people then I’ll cancel my subscription and my Crown buying. One of the many things I liked about this game was the Henchmen, their cost and the freedom to use them to move through the Worlds, catch up to friends and beat bosses.

I enjoy playing with other people too but if no one is on it is nice to be able to keep playing with Henchmen and not have to stop an wait for someone else to come along.

I totally agree with you. I have quite a lot of friends, but I'm too young to have text chat and my parents are really uneasy about letting me enable it, so there is not a lot of free space I can use to plan with my friends in battle, so I used henchmen to help me, but now that the price skyrocketed, it's basically useless because my parents only let me be a member and have crowns by gift card, so now it's not even worth saving up my meager amount of allowance for crowns. :(

Survivor
Feb 06, 2010
i am also upset i just spent 200 crowns on a life hench men and he keeped healing himself then healing me. the life hench men, before, that only cost 60 crowns healed me at least all the time in the fight. i just lost 200 crowns because i died in the fight not fair.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2009
KingsIsle needs to explain the reason behind this Mass Increase Cost of Henchmen !!! So all you have done now is scew over the little guy that loves to play the Game for enjoyment and used henchman when no else is avalible. Players with limited funds are the Ones U are Hurting the Most, this Action Proves that U R Putting Profit Over People!! This Really Saddens me that KI takes a Great game and Ruin it for the most players that Depends on Henchman to make it thru the Game. This is why I have stopped playing other on-line games because of Actions like This.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I agree. WAY TOO HIGH!!!! Talk about INFLATION!!!!!!

The old henchmen were just fine. They got the job done. I don't care what they look like or their gear just as long as they did what I paid them to do. But I am not going to hire them at this price.

I have used henchmen in the past too when my friends were not able to be on at the same time to help.

But with these prices. NOT happening.

Restore the original prices so that we can afford them. I am not going to purchase and waste crowns for henchmen. If I have to I will just let a wizard sit until someone can help me or I can get one of my wizards on second account up to the same quest.

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
thank you for posting this very much now to talk with kingsisle for my explaining KI you wont get that much money with the whole henchmen thing plus some low levels really need help like doing that skeletal boss ( for me i had to use henchmen to do him and he is the guy in unicorn way ) so because of the raise some players that dont have membership wont have help because allot of bosses in wizard city are solo and maybe thier parents cant afford the money and some people that paid membership for only henchmen it will be a total waste of crowns for them now and they wont want it anymore really so i think it should be changed back to how it was

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
I agree with these post. Unless the cost of henchmen are change, I will no longer buy crowns. I might even stop playing the game. :(

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
"But men are so full of greed today, they'll sell anything for a little piece of money." - Little Richard

"If we go on the way we have, the fault is our greed and if we are not willing to change, we will disappear from the face of the globe, to be replaced by the insect." - Jacques Yves Cousteau

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
I'm with you on this one! My other wizards probably would not even been at level 60 if I didn't use henchmen. Now I can only use them when I really need them o:.

Caroline Sunbright level 62 life

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
For me, it's not so much the price increase, but rather the steep increase for such little return in henchmen abilities.

If they were to start casting Rank 9 spells consistently or last through several duels (like the timers on potions and transformations, then I could understand).

Survivor
Nov 10, 2010
It goes like this with all things that are needed or become popular. Like cheese or meat. we need it and want it. so hmm up goes he prices every time they can.Good one KI sting the kids for all they have.(shame on you.why get so greedy?)keeping prices down would mean they would maybe get used more.

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
KI some people dont have friends that come on much and they need help right? well if you dont make it back they will quit by then some other ones will quit because the game is getting a little lonley then more and more and more so you should really change it back its really hard to get players back ( doing all that stuff WOW thats gonna take allot ) so i would make it back to how it was

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
DaMan32 wrote:
It goes like this with all things that are needed or become popular. Like cheese or meat. we need it and want it. so hmm up goes he prices every time they can.Good one KI sting the kids for all they have.(shame on you.why get so greedy?)keeping prices down would mean they would maybe get used more.
yes if you raise it down allot of people will buy it and zafaria WOO they need help with that right? so it will be used allot

Survivor
Sep 04, 2010
I am surprised to find people agree with me I was worried everyone would tell me off. I have not used Henchmen at all since the price increase and I am questing in Celestia. For now I have been lucky enough to kill things on my own or run into other people to help me. I'm not sure how long this will work though, I imagine soon I will need help with some of the harder bosses. It seems a lot of people are upset about this price hike for Henchmen and it seems KI doesn't care enough to reply. I'm glad I'm not alone in my dislike for this mass price hike keep posting your thoughts and feelings and maybe they will do something about it.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Shiola wrote:
I am surprised to find people agree with me I was worried everyone would tell me off. I have not used Henchmen at all since the price increase and I am questing in Celestia. For now I have been lucky enough to kill things on my own or run into other people to help me. I'm not sure how long this will work though, I imagine soon I will need help with some of the harder bosses. It seems a lot of people are upset about this price hike for Henchmen and it seems KI doesn't care enough to reply. I'm glad I'm not alone in my dislike for this mass price hike keep posting your thoughts and feelings and maybe they will do something about it.

Shiola, don't be so surprised. The last I counted, there are 7 subject posts in Ravenwood Commons and Zafaria forums that refer to the overpriced henchmen. LOL. That says a LOT of players agree with you. If you go into the Zafaria forums, find the one that Professor Greyrose posted regarding the "New Henchmen". I think there are a few others listed in Zafaria forums as well. I know I have read and posted in everyone that I come across and my email this morning had 7 notifications just on the henchmen.

I did find one in Halstons Lab, and replied to it telling the poster to check these other areas since there are so many players upset about this increase.

I haven't used any of the henchmen either since the increase and not going to. This of course is going to be a big problem for those Spell quests we all have to solo, but, I guess, when I get to that issue, I will just have to pass it up, or try using a lower level henchman to help me through. I CERTAINLY WON'T be paying these prices for useless henchmen, EVEN if KI manages to fix them in order to keep the high prices.

I love this game, but not to the extent that I will deplete my bank account for the crowns nor will I run my credit card up for them. Since I have a toddler and a disabled husband, my PRIORITY'S lie with them, not the game.

Administrator
We are re-assessing the value of the henchmen to ensure they’re appropriately balanced in terms of power and cost. We understand you may be frustrated with this first iteration, but request your patience. As always, the community feedback is heard and given full consideration with this on-going process.

community@wizard101.com
Explorer
Mar 24, 2011
Professor Greyrose wrote:
We are re-assessing the value of the henchmen to ensure they’re appropriately balanced in terms of power and cost. We understand you may be frustrated with this first iteration, but request your patience. As always, the community feedback is heard and given full consideration with this on-going process.
thanks professor <3

Survivor
Jul 01, 2011
AGREED! The cost of these henchmen is way too high for what they do. I tried several Level 70 ICE henchmen, just to watch them repeatedly waste pips by throwing taunts at the boss (what exactly do these taunts DO anyway?), so they are basically useless. The Level 60 and 70 LIFE henchmen just pretty much sit there and heal themselves about every round, and give you little or no health in return for your money, and their attack spells are rare, so they too are basically useless. Also, WAY too many FIZZLES with these henchmen, for our big bucks (BIG TO US) they should have much better accuracy than they do. You get about one good strong spell right off from them, then it's all passes and lower end spells (when they aren't fizzling or healing themselves). I have a subscription, watch for sales on crowns, have spent a few hundred dollars worth already for what I consider my personal entertainment expense over the year , but lately am thinking that I need to reassess my costs vs. my return. These are a one-time use henchman, at least let them DO something while they are there or make them one-day minions!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
royal76430 wrote:
AGREED! The cost of these henchmen is way too high for what they do. I tried several Level 70 ICE henchmen, just to watch them repeatedly waste pips by throwing taunts at the boss (what exactly do these taunts DO anyway?), so they are basically useless.

Huh?

How can you criticize a spell if you have no idea what it does? If you choose an Ice wizard henchman it is going to Taunt. Taunting attracts the enemies attention away from you. However, if they are henchmen they probably won't heal themselves so you the player will have to in order to keep them alive.

If you wanted a henchmen that attacks, get a Storm or Fire henchmen.

Henchmen are not automatic duel winners. Strategy still has to be accomplished and you have to work in tandem with your henchmen. Before you buy a henchmen I would strongly suggest researching their spells to see which one works out the best in your group (providing cover on your group weakness's).