Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Turn-Based Disadvantage?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 25, 2010
I was playing pvp battles one day and after my 3rd consecutive defeat, I wondered, why couldn't each side take one turn at a time, why each person on both sides had to choose their cards at the same time? Wouldn't that make things fairer?

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
draco11121314 wrote:
I was playing pvp battles one day and after my 3rd consecutive defeat, I wondered, why couldn't each side take one turn at a time, why each person on both sides had to choose their cards at the same time? Wouldn't that make things fairer?

I wonder if the boss system of "interrupt" can be applied to PvP. Anyone who selects their spell first, casts first after all players make their selection. This will create a more active time battle system and is fair in the sense that he who throws first hits first, provided one doesn't fizzle.

Yes, yes the whole people with bad connection will be hit by this, but no matter how you look at it, you are always behind with a bad connection anyway.

First cast? First go. That seems like the best way to go I guess. If there could be anything other than a bad connection that can harm this idea. Feel free to point them out.

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
CorbinW wrote:

I wonder if the boss system of "interrupt" can be applied to PvP. Anyone who selects their spell first, casts first after all players make their selection. This will create a more active time battle system and is fair in the sense that he who throws first hits first, provided one doesn't fizzle.

Yes, yes the whole people with bad connection will be hit by this, but no matter how you look at it, you are always behind with a bad connection anyway.

As someone who's timer ends at 6 seconds, I can say i have a bad connection. You are never behind with a bad connection in any way other than the amount of time you have to choose a card, or the time it takes to discard/draw for treasures. (~6 seconds per treasure on my connection, :c )
It doesnt even affect the chance to go first. So that part about always behind doesnt make much sense to me... as someone who is in this position first hand.

CorbinW wrote:

First cast? First go. That seems like the best way to go I guess. If there could be anything other than a bad connection that can harm this idea. Feel free to point them out.

Other than a bad connection meaning i will never again go first in my entire W101 lifetime, i can say right off of the bat that fishing for treasure cards, and discarding unneeded/non-useful cards (for the current scenario you are in) will harm this idea. And all of those are huge parts to deck building and pvp strategy.

More so, this would require KI to split the battle system in to a "PvP" battle system and a "PvE" battle system. If they were to do that, they could fix more than just the problem of going first in pvp in a more efficient way than that you suggest. But they wont completely redesign their game engine, I can assure you that.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Well then I'm out of ideas. Although your reply was very useful in understanding some people with bad connections. Usually the ones I face with bad connections don't do anything for 90 seconds :/

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
draco11121314 wrote:

draco11121314,

Something that I have suggested over and over, that both wizards pick their cards at the same time and the damage is recorded at the same time.

If two wizards defeat each other at the same time, it's a tie.

Simple and easy, and it stops the first turn advantage cold.

No more, one person being blind to what the other person is doing.
It's so much more easier to win when going first, that it's not even funny.
When you go first you can just about counter every move the other player makes.
When you go second, you are blind, and even the Tourney at Central have bitterly complained on this.
Yes, it needs to be fixed, and if ever fixed, it will really improve PvP.
Something that would improve PvP more than any other single fix.
Having both players blind is the way it should be, there should be no first turn advantage to pvp.

Joe.