Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Filter the word noob! please!!

AuthorMessage
Delver
Apr 10, 2010
I know some use the word "noob" in a derogatory manner towards others.
As a parent myself, why don't you explain to your child that the ones using that term are trying to make themselves seem bigger and better, thereby showing how insecure they are in themselves.

As a southerner, we have terms that can be construed as a put down also:
"Well Bless your heart" Meaning many different things.
"Well, aren't you special!" Again, used in many ways, both positive or negative.

So there are many phrases/words that can have many meanings, both positive or negative, depending on how they are used. The lesson here, is to learn to deal with them either with being nice abut it, ignoring it, or using humor. Humor works well in that the words lose their sting when it looks like they have no power to hurt the ones they're used against.

Its taken this old grandmother a while to learn that lesson too. :) But possibly you others won't take so long to figure it out.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
Guys i already get the point now just thought the word was annoying

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
ssss55123 wrote:
As a parent myself, why don't you explain to your child that the ones using that term are trying to make themselves seem bigger and better, thereby showing how insecure they are in themselves.

As a southerner, we have terms that can be construed as a put down also:
"Well Bless your heart" Meaning many different things.
"Well, aren't you special!" Again, used in many ways, both positive or negative.

So there are many phrases/words that can have many meanings, both positive or negative, depending on how they are used. The lesson here, is to learn to deal with them either with being nice abut it, ignoring it, or using humor. Humor works well in that the words lose their sting when it looks like they have no power to hurt the ones they're used against.

Its taken this old grandmother a while to learn that lesson too. :) But possibly you others won't take so long to figure it out.

All of the awards to this woman.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
ssss55123 wrote:

Not some, most. 90% of the people who use it in game use it to cyberbully others.

ssss55123 wrote:

how well does that work for you in offline situations? Does it really make your kids feel okay when people bully them at school? I chanted "sticks and stones may break my bones" a lot when growing up. Never made me feel better when bullied. I had the kind of discussion you're suggesting with my kids when THEY were growing up. Didn't make them feel any better when being bullied either (though I didn't find out about such incidents till they were grown). Do you honestly think that just telling kids the person doing the bullying is just insecure is going to make the kids being bullied feel like it doesn't hurt?

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
Not some, most. 90% of the people who use it in game use it to cyberbully others.

You did not just say that. Did you really just equate the use of the word 'noob' to cyberbullying? Sorry, but no. They're not even in the same hemisphere.

ssss55123 wrote:
How well does that work for you in offline situations? Does it really make your kids feel okay when people bully them at school? I chanted "sticks and stones may break my bones" a lot when growing up. Never made me feel better when bullied. I had the kind of discussion you're suggesting with my kids when THEY were growing up. Didn't make them feel any better when being bullied either (though I didn't find out about such incidents till they were grown). Do you honestly think that just telling kids the person doing the bullying is just insecure is going to make the kids being bullied feel like it doesn't hurt?

Well this isn't "offline", is it? This isn't real life; it's a game. You're right; chanting sticks and stones doesn't work (and the person that came up with that should be locked in a mental institution), but this environment is completely different. You don't have to be around negativity like that; you can change realms. Here, you don't have to pretend you don't hear what people are saying; you can literally turn them off by ignoring them. KI gave us the tools; it leads me to believe that people who whine about the word 'noob' are just reluctant to use them.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

You did not just say that. Did you really just equate the use of the word 'noob' to cyberbullying? Sorry, but no. They're not even in the same hemisphere.

Oh yes, I did.

And oh yes, that's EXACTLY what a fairly large majority of those that use it in the game AND OTHER PLACES online use it for. To cyberbully.

yeah, they are in the same hemisphere.

It's a term being used maliciously with the intent to hurt the target, enrage them and otherwise maltreat them.

Champion
May 03, 2011
I know this sounds heartless, but it's not meant that way. I am a parent, so I really do care about hurtful words/behavior, etc. as it affects my kid--and other people's kids, too. But really, censorship isn't the answer. When did we all become so sensitive? Kids (and yeah, adults) need to just deal with insults without coming unglued. Words are arbitrary--in and of themselves, they have no power. We give them power when we decide that they can wound us. As others have noted, "noob" would just be replaced by another term--to which WE grant the power to offend us. We/you have to power to make "noob" powerless. Use it.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Oh yes, I did.

And oh yes, that's EXACTLY what a fairly large majority of those that use it in the game AND OTHER PLACES online use it for. To cyberbully.

yeah, they are in the same hemisphere.

It's a term being used maliciously with the intent to hurt the target, enrage them and otherwise maltreat them.

Again, even if that were true, you can ignore it. 'Noob' is not a curse word; therefore, there's no reason to block it. I really don't see where the problem lies. If you're seriously gonna cry "block" on the word 'noob', I shutter to think how you'd feel playing other MMORPGs. Also, considering the other slurs I've seen thrown around in this game, 'noob' is the least of our problems.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2011
watsupdog111 wrote:
Yes i am aware that saying the word "noob" is not a reportable offense, but its very irritating. When people say the word "noob" they do not understand its meaning. Also this causes many fights and false reporting, please ki take the time to read this message.

Yeah my friend and i where in the arena defeating some other wizards tell we faced a level 58 and 48 we are levels 49 and 33 so she has text chat they call us noobs :-( and also ki if you are reading a girl on you tube was doing the song girlfreind and writing the d curse word around the filters i can't report so is say it here

Delver
Apr 10, 2010

Here are a couple of examples which I feel are cyberbullying:
1. My ice wizard had a "friend" ask if I'd be his girlfriend. When I explained to him that I felt it wasn't right because I'm an adult and married, he reported me. Why? Because I told him no. He then reported me a second time, why? Just because he thought he could, I guess.

2. I "stepped" in when I saw a girl saying just plain mean things to a lower level wizard. Just because he said hi and asked her abuot her mount. She upon finding I'm an adult (at least chronologically), she scoffed me , saying I was pitiful because I didn't have a life. Her texts and actions, in my mind were bullying.
I befriended the young lower level wizard; private texted him that trying to argue with the likes of that girl wasn't worth it and to port after me. Which he did and my myth and he and his sister are now friends.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
ssss55123 wrote:
1. My ice wizard had a "friend" ask if I'd be his girlfriend. When I explained to him that I felt it wasn't right because I'm an adult and married, he reported me. Why? Because I told him no. He then reported me a second time, why? Just because he thought he could, I guess.

I wouldn't really call that "bullying"; however, not only was he being inappropriate, but also was misusing the report button. That is an actual offense.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
True, it wasn't really bullying. Other than the fact he thought he'd get me to change my mind by reporting me for saying (gasp) no to him. lol

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
ssss55123 wrote:
True, it wasn't really bullying. Other than the fact he thought he'd get me to change my mind by reporting me for saying (gasp) no to him. lol
Its nice to make friends especially by helping them out in a situation like that, someday i hope people in the next generation wont be mean or hurtful in any manner like that girl's behavior described in your previous post.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
First off"""Noob""" is NOT a viable word. Look it up in the dictionary. You won't find it.

Second of all: We have all been taught since we were old enough to start understanding, that being called names cannot physically hurt you. True, you may get your feelings hurt, but how can something that is not a WORD hurt you?

Those that use it in a derrogatory way, lack self confidence in themselves or they think they are better than anyone else.

I have been called noob a few times, but it is No Skin Off My Back. And I am sure I will be called that again as I have recently started another account.

If KI were to start filtering everything that people can some up with, it would not be long until they would have to just shut down the chat system all together.

Yes (Stupid) has been filtered, But guess what? Now they use "Stew Pet" and other similar combinations.

If "noob" is the worst you are called, just let it roll off your back. You will be the better person for it.

Enjoy the game, that is why you play, Right?

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
ssss55123 wrote:

That's not bullying; that's just poor intimidation skills.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
AkihiroHattori5
Legendary Wizard

That's not bullying; that's just poor intimidation skills.

Very true!

Defender
Aug 05, 2009
If it was really bothering KI they would've already done this. Trust me, us high levels just want to be honored as champions. I'm sure if you mentioned how powerful they were, you might be able to become their friend.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010

I wouldn't say we need to be honored per se because many of us have become grandmaster/legendary. What I would love to see, everyone treating one another with the same sort of care and repect that they would want to be treated. That is the way I try (and I say try) to act towards others.
Yes, I know we will always have those who think they're above the rules, unfortunely. And all I can say is "Bless their heart." 8)

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
ssss55123 without despair and rudeness in the world, it would be pretty weird if everyone was nice.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
goldendragon18 wrote:
First off"""Noob""" is NOT a viable word. Look it up in the dictionary. You won't find it.

You will, if you go to Urban Dictionary. It's a slang word, just like the many others that have been created throughout time... The origins are harmless, no different than special or bless your heart, but users of the word have given it a negative connotation. How do you suppose that 'bad' words ended up that way?

goldendragon18 wrote:
Second of all: We have all been taught since we were old enough to start understanding, that being called names cannot physically hurt you. True, you may get your feelings hurt, but how can something that is not a WORD hurt you?

Words are, like most everything else, created and given value by the speakers. Kids are cruel, and will always seek to hurt each other as soon as they find someone's weak spot... Whether or not the word "exists", it can and will hurt others.

goldendragon18 wrote:
Those that use it in a derrogatory way, lack self confidence in themselves or they think they are better than anyone else.

Yes, you're right. But good luck trying to convince a little kid of that. Growing up, my parents gave me this same advice all the time, but it didn't make me feel any better about being bullied.

goldendragon18 wrote:
I have been called noob a few times, but it is No Skin Off My Back. And I am sure I will be called that again as I have recently started another account.

Again, you are right. I have been called a noob many times, but I'm an adult and can handle grade-school insults much better now than when I actually WAS in grade-school (yes, I'm dating myself here). Words can hurt just as much as actions, if not more, because they really stick with us for life. Example: a dance teacher once made a nasty comment about my weight when I was 13- I am close to 30 now, and her words still haunt me.

goldendragon18 wrote:
If KI were to start filtering everything that people can some up with, it would not be long until they would have to just shut down the chat system all together. Yes (Stupid) has been filtered, But guess what? Now they use "Stew Pet" and other similar combinations.

This is also true. As I said in my original post, people will always find ways around the filter; less restrictions would mean less people finding creative ways to hurt others.

goldendragon18 wrote:
If "noob" is the worst you are called, just let it roll off your back. You will be the better person for it.

Again, good luck trying to convince a young child of this. I have a niece and nephew who play this game, and I have a hard time believing that they'd take me at my word, if this is what I told them.

goldendragon18 wrote:

Absolutely. People should stop worrying about little, petty things and just have fun. :)

-

Safe and happy travels, everyone!

Laura Shadowsong
Legendary Sorceress

Mastermind
Aug 10, 2011
vonawesome1 wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

You will, if you go to Urban Dictionary. It's a slang word, just like the many others that have been created throughout time... The origins are harmless, no different than special or bless your heart, but users of the word have given it a negative connotation. How do you suppose that 'bad' words ended up that way?

goldendragon18 wrote:

Words are, like most everything else, created and given value by the speakers. Kids are cruel, and will always seek to hurt each other as soon as
they find someone's weak spot... Whether or not the word "exists", it can and will hurt others.

goldendragon18 wrote:

Yes, you're right. But good luck trying to convince a little kid of that. Growing up, my parents gave me this same advice all the time, but it didn't make me feel any better about being bullied.

goldendragon18 wrote:

Again, you are right. I have been called a noob many times, but I'm an adult and can handle grade-school insults much better now than when I actually WAS in grade-school (yes, I'm dating myself here). Words can hurt just as much as actions, if not more, because they really stick with us for life. Example: a dance teacher once made a nasty comment about my weight when I was 13- I am close to 30 now, and her words still haunt me.

goldendragon18 wrote:
If KI were to start filtering everything that people can some up with, it would not be long until they would have to just shut down the chat system all together. Yes (Stupid) has been filtered, But guess what? Now they use "Stew Pet" and other similar combinations.

This is also true. As I said in my original post, people will always find ways around the filter; less restrictions would mean less people finding creative ways to hurt others.

goldendragon18 wrote:

Again, good luck trying to convince a young child of this. I have a niece and nephew who play this game, and I have a hard time believing that they'd take me at my word, if this is what I told them.

goldendragon18 wrote:

Absolutely. People should stop worrying about little, petty things and just have fun. :)

-

Laura Shadowsong

Legendary Sorceress

Not all kids are cruel, i must admit i am a kid too, but i have seen rude people in the world. And i have never EVER seeked to hurt anyone on their weakspot. Also ANYONE can be cruel. Dont blame just us. There are all people of ages who love to insult and be cruel. It is none anyone's fault. Therefore it is the person doing it sadly.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
you have absolutly no good defense to your statement. Remember the ignore button, that's how that works, so if your irritated you can IGNORE them.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Randomperson16 wrote:
vonawesome1 wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

goldendragon18 wrote:

Words are, like most everything else, created and given value by the speakers. Kids are cruel, and will always seek to hurt each other as soon as
they find someone's weak spot... Whether or not the word "exists", it can and will hurt others.

goldendragon18 wrote:

goldendragon18 wrote:

goldendragon18 wrote:

goldendragon18 wrote:

goldendragon18 wrote:

-

Laura Shadowsong

Legendary Sorceress

Not all kids are cruel, i must admit i am a kid too, but i have seen rude people in the world. And i have never EVER seeked to hurt anyone on their weakspot. Also ANYONE can be cruel. Dont blame just us. There are all people of ages who love to insult and be cruel. It is none anyone's fault. Therefore it is the person doing it sadly.

Randomperson16, Your are right and I don't think this was strictly directed and kids. At least I hope it isn't. I am an adult and I have heard and seen this from other adults as well.

As I said before, I have been called a noob a few times, but being an adult, I ignore it. I also have a second account that I just recently started and I am sure I will be called a noob again.

And YES, anyone of any age can be cruel and that is very unfortunate. This is a great game to play and so much fun when people just play instead of trying to hurt someone's feeling.

I hope you enjoy the game and don't have to deal with any of this kind of thing.

Good luck and enjoy.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Randomperson16 wrote:

No, not all kids are cruel. Perhaps I should have said 'can be', since I meant differently than how it was received- the statement was intended as a generalization, not to place blame, and I apologize.

I agree with you that both age-groups are capable of cruelty, but it's also true that kids bully others in a different way that adults do. While children (usually) resort to name-calling, adults have other ways of communicating disrespect or disregard for another person. When I was a kid, the internet had only just become mainstream- the word 'newbie', or noob, was tossed around occasionally, but in an affectionate, often humorous, context, and it simply meant 'new player'.

There is no easy solution to this, but I think that eliminating certain combinations of words (as opposed to the words themselves) would likely see a reduction in the numbers of players swearing creatively, or finding new ways to insult or hurt others.

L.S.

Defender
Mar 07, 2009
i don't care get calling noob since i get called that when i ask for help which i think is stupid since everyone needs help one and a every while

P.S. i have firefox and its has spelling check when i type noob isn't in its data base