Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A Solitary Life

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
I probably could have posted this under the "if I knew then what I know now" thread, but I thought I'd put it out there as a question. First, background. I made a Life wizard quite awhile ago, but have been focusing more on my Myth and Death, so I haven't played her much. She's level 30 now, about to finish MB (doing sides to level up some before MS). Now I know Life is a popular school. Almost everyone who has six wizards has one Life. But I find this school boring, and wish I hadn't chosen it. (Now I have to choose between Fire and Ice for my last wiz, and I want both!) The problem, as I see it, is that Life is a support school. My wizard needs to help people. If the game were high school, she'd be the Student Council Secretary, or something :-) . Not the president, because you know, she's not about Power. :?

Anyway, in more practical terms, I have to solo the game a lot, because of the hours I play (late in the evening). My Life isn't a soloist. I did train Death up to Feint, because I need some more boost for my one decent spell (Seraph, at this point). My question: can you solo the game with a Life? Is it possible, or should I just leave her to crafting and pet training? Obviously this is a matter of opinion, but I'd be interested in hearing from other Life wizards, particularly any who have tried to solo. Thanks.

Tabitha

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I have been able to solo with a life wizard, but for me it seems to take twice or three times as long to finish a battle that way. Remember, Life doesn't get an organic AOE spell until way late in the game, so you have to defeat enemies one by one.

However, in order to solo I have to use my life minion. I usually let the minion do the healing for me and I concentrate on the attacking. Life minion's attacks are really just Leprechan's, but the minion's healing will go up to Satyr for healing.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I soloed most of the time with my Theurgist. He's Legendary now. It's possible; just pretty difficult, especially when you don't have Centaur. It's worth it in the end though. Soloing gets a lot easier when you get Centaur, and is pretty easy when you get Forest Lord since your secondary is Death. The only thing that annoys me is fighting Life monsters because they tend to spam Death shields and Spirit Armors pre-Celestia, so watch out for them.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
You should be fine up and through most of dragonspyre, but celestia and wintertusk seem like they will be a real ordeal until getting forest lord. I find myself back to soloing more and more as i'm also playing much later than most of the people on my list. However, my life mage has kind of fallen to the way-side out of a similar loss of interest in using him. I doubt i will delete him, but he has my vote for 'most likely to never finish the game'. -valerian daisytamer, master theurgist (and crew)

Survivor
Jan 06, 2011
Among the wizards that I have my favorite is my Life wizard. I also solo most of the time and the only time I really needed help with her was with the Ravens and Jotun in Grizzlehiem, the main boss in Wintertusk, and a couple of other main bosses, but other than that, I have been able to solo with her 95 percent of the time.
I believe a Life wizard is much more that just a support character or gardening and crafting wizard if someone just looks a little deeper and thinks about how they want to handle the fights that they are up against. I have had many people that I have fought with in various places say that they would never call Life weak again after seeing me fight! :) It's all about how you handle the school you are fighting.

Cyrilla

Explorer
Aug 07, 2009
I am a legendary life wizard and i have soloed everything, including the waterworks dungeon. It makes me sad to hear people think life is only a support class, when then damage i dish out brings down enemies fast. I never use groups unless it is impossible to do without. Please, don't give up so early.

Thoughts?

Jason 8)

Explorer
Jul 17, 2009
I have a legend life. I tried different options when trying to choose a secondary and after many buying back of training points I finally choose fire. That has worked well for me. My life went solo for the majority of the game. Was frustrating at times(a lot less than doing my storm though lol) but it is able to be done. Took a bit longer but it made me think my battles out carefully. I tried different mixtures in the deck and finally hit on something that worked for me.

Best of luck!

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
My first wizard was a Life wizard. I soloed most of the game with her, including the towers in DS before KI shortened them, and long before pets became so useful.

I have also taken other wizards through the spiral--many times soloing. It could be just my playing style, but I found Life much easier to solo than the other wizards.

One thing I have learned about the School of Life, is they get a high power pip chance. This allows for rapidly throwing out seraphs, and nature wrath.

Also when soloing with my life wizard, I used a death wand to knock out the death shields Life enemies just love to spam. I also keep pierce treasure cards in deck when fighting Life.

In group play, I will admit my Life wizard does take on a supportive role, yet will once in awhile toss out an attack. I did craft her some gear that boosts her healing abilities. One fairy (without critical) will heal nearly as much as a normal Satyr. This allows for me to quickly heal someone or myself with a fairy and then counter with an attack.

I would say, what it really boils down to is your playing style. If you like short fights and one hits on bosses, than Life may not be for you. Still, you may want to give your Life wizard a chance. She may just surprise you in higher levels.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Survivor
Mar 23, 2010
I think it's possible to solo with any school of you train the right secondary spells. My Life made it to somewhere in the Twenties and somewhere in the Krokosphinx before I recently reset her, and I played her solo all the time (I tend to play in the middle the night/early morning). I only reset her b/c my sister and I wanted to play a couple of characters together so I had to sacrifice someone and she was the one I was least attached to. Of course the new wizard is a Life as well to counter my sister's Storm (we figured one of us could hit really hard and the other could keep us alive.) Most people claim Balance is hard to solo with, yet I'm in Dragonspyre with my Sorceress and I've soloed all the way except for a few battles that I tried repeatedly on my own and simply couldn't do. And it was rather difficult with her until I learned Judgement, but each school has some sort of spell eventually that makes it worth it. Yes, Life is mainly focused on healing and that makes it fantastic at supporting the other schools, but it does have some spells that kick butt, and if you train in another school like death, fire, or storm you'll get some other kick-butt spells to add to your spellbook, and I see no reason why you couldn't solo with a Life wizard

Iridian Starmender Level 47 Sorceress/Alia Starshade Level 11 Theurgist

Champion
May 03, 2011
Thanks for this interesting variety of perspectives. I pretty much decided I wouldn't do Big Ben until I have Centaur, since it seems crazy to go to MS without it. It's going to be my only good spell till level 58, after all. I really am intrigued by those of you who have soloed with a Life--Waterworks! I'm too nervous to try that yet with any of my wizards. Kudos. :D And thanks for letting me know it can be done.

I agree that the minion is really useful. In fact, although Myth is my primary (my first wizard is a Myth, so at heart I guess I'm one, too), I find the Life sprite more helpful than any of my Myth minions. She's pretty predictable, and that's a nice quality in a minion. (Aside: a friend who is a Grandmaster Life hates the way she looks. I think he would have liked a more substantial-looking helper :? )

I won't give up just yet. I'm hoping I'll just learn how to play her better, and she'll be more fun. Thanks for the input.

Tabitha