Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Astral Schools and Death Spells

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
I am wondering whether or not it is worth training sun and star spells for my Death wizard. Behind this question is some confusion as to what constitutes a "damage" spell--apparently drain spells such as Wraith and Scarecrow don't count as damage spells? I read that somewhere, but I'm not sure it's true. Anyway, I realize that if I put a Gargantuan on Scarecrow, I'm not going to get the full benefit of the card as stated (+ 225 damage). I understand the reasoning behind this, and I know I'll get some damage boost, but is it enough to justify training these spells? I use Wraith and Scarecrow more than any other spells, except maybe the Pirate. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tabitha Ravenheart, Level 53 Death

Adherent
May 20, 2010
I didn't train any of the Astral schools on my wizards. I personally didn't see enough use for them (outside of PvP) to justify the points investment.

I believe that life-stealing spells get 2/3 the boost from Sun enhancements, i.e. Gargantuan gets 150 instead of 225. Whether or not it's worth it is a matter of personal opinion.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
The main reason I like astral schools are that they are 0 pips. So if I am waiting on a big hit card, I am still casting support spells to assist (or in the case of Sun spells drawing treasures at the same time I am improving my regular spells).

I personally don't find much use for Star spells outside of PvP or cheat bosses, except Empowerment. In Celestia and beyond, that spell is certain to generate an extra pip or two.

While it's true that Drain spells don't receive the maximum benefit from Sun damage modifiers, that extra 60-90 health points you receive can still help. I guess the question is, is it worth it at the cost of using that training point for something else? To me, the accuracy portion of Sun school might be more important for a Death wizard. Scarecrow and Wraith are both 85% accuracy for casting. If you need a heal, you don't want those spells fizzling. Sun school helps out a lot there. However, if you have access to lots of Sun accuracy treasure cards then maybe you don't need to use the training point.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I play legendary death a lot and I must say that gargantuan on scarecrow is fantastic. It is absolutely worthwhile to train those cards as well as the fithteen percent attack bubble card.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
tabby714 wrote:
I am wondering whether or not it is worth training sun and star spells for my Death wizard. Behind this question is some confusion as to what constitutes a "damage" spell--apparently drain spells such as Wraith and Scarecrow don't count as damage spells? I read that somewhere, but I'm not sure it's true. Anyway, I realize that if I put a Gargantuan on Scarecrow, I'm not going to get the full benefit of the card as stated (+ 225 damage). I understand the reasoning behind this, and I know I'll get some damage boost, but is it enough to justify training these spells? I use Wraith and Scarecrow more than any other spells, except maybe the Pirate. Thanks in advance for any advice. Tabitha Ravenheart, Level 53 Death
I would (and will) cause, look at it this way: you're not losing those 75 points- they're coming back to you in the healing! -keller moonblade, magus necromancer (and crew)

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
The reason you only get 2/3 of gargantuan on your wraith or vampire is because you get half that back (1/3) as health, thus equaling the full gargantuan benefit. (2/3+1/3=1)

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
i'm not sure on whether or not astral is useful. I'm a magus who shouldn't know astral but I do (used a traning point as diego gives spells to wizards like me.). I bought cloak and now I think, "what do I do with this?". it's really . any advice? this is a reply and I don't have any knowledge on the subject.

your extra smart wizard wonder