Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spritely. Yep

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
So I don't like it, but I understand the concept of spritely and using pets to gain an edge in battle.

But when a teen sea dragon casts spritely 3 times in a row.... I have a serious issue with that.
They try so hard to balance pvp and provide something to players that isn't the same map layouts and quests with a couple words swapped out for each new world, and I appreciate that. Because that gets really old, really really fast.

All i'm requesting is that there be a grace period in which your pet will not spam the spell every round. Maybe make it wait until the first HoT falls off? Groundbreaking, I know. >.>

I can't even think about dropping a DoT on someone with a sea dragon, because the second I do, its spritely -> spritely -> spritely. Without using the players pips, turns, or cards.
This is unacceptable; being punished for using damage over time spells in my strategy. Just because KI wants an extra 20$ in their pocket? Are you kidding me?

Maybe if they weakened a pets sprite, since its not even a wizard, and we apparently have to go to school to master magic. These things are better than half of the players who have them.

What kind of person does it take to think that unlimited self heals costing absolutely nothing from the player is fair? One that sees 20$ in their pocket for every Sea dragon in the spiral, thats who.

How do I out-damage 300+ health a round, every round, for the entire battle?
I can't set up a 1 hit kill, because while their pet is winning for them, they can just ward/tower/heal themselves. And this is exactly what they do, since most don't know strategy.
I would run out of cards long before that sea dragon would ever stop casting sprite, and it was my understanding that pvp wasn't about turtling up until your opponent gives up or runs out of cards. I guess I could be wrong, and in that case ignore this post.

I don't care if you are so bad that you need this tactic to win. Its pathetic and if that's what it takes for you to feel a little self worth then all i feel for you is pity.

Don't want to make a grace period? Limit the number of times it can cast it. Even if it the cap is set at 8 sprites, at least its not unlimited self heals. Seriously KI, fire that guy if you haven't already. Or provide some justification to how this balances anything other than your checkbooks.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Ever heard the saying "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em? Most people have.

Sea dragon isn't the only pet with spritely. There are a lot of pets with spritely. Believe it or not, most of them don't cost crowns! Get one yourself!

Not all sea dragons have spritely, I have one (I lucked out on a hatch) with pip o' plenty, death giver, and may cast deathblade. Because it can function without spritely, it works just fine. It has other useful talents, like sharp shot, spell defy and health gift. Most people go for something along the lines of those.

A sea dragon casting sprite three times in a row is very unlikely to happen, and rarely does. It was just bad luck, and really doesn't happen that often.

If you run out of cards, buy reshuffle on Colossus Boulevard. It's in a house with no lights on in between two huge rocks. Somewhere near Mindy Pixiecrown.

Reshuffle puts all the cards from your discard pile in your deck. Put two copies in your deck, it becomes endless, as you get the first reshuffle back after using the second one.

Spritely is one of those things that gets more annoying the longer the battle stretches on. Defeat the opponent as quickly and efficiently as possible, and you won't have to worry about it so much.

Worried about shielding? Buy some Shatter treasure cards. Use more DoTs. Even use Steal Ward if you're an Ice wizard.

Healing getting on your nerves? go to Nightside, talk to Mortis the Death tree, train Infection from him, which cuts the power of heals in half. Either that, or, if you're a Necromancer, put one or two Doom and Gloom copies in your deck.

So, there you have it. A list of explanations and suggestions as long as your rant.

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
Or provide some justification to how this balances anything other than your checkbooks.</div>
</blockquote> Wow i bet that embarresed them love the critisism I hate it too

Defender
Jan 28, 2010
classact21 I can see why it would upset you. But dont ruin it for others who use the pet with spritely in battle in the game. It seems like people complaining over PvP sillyness always ruin it for others. It's why they messed up wild bolt.

I really hope KI over looks your petty ranting trying to get someone fired of something this silly. Jobs are hard to come by and you want this person fired because you lost in PvP? How about takeing your own words into account and learn a new strategy. You can to a DoT then while it is removing the shields from this person get your one hit kill ready. Really its not the Pets fault or the poor person you are trying to get fired. It's you.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
should we throw you a pity party?

First of all, PvP is not the only aspect of this game!

Secondly, PvP is not exactly balanced, unless you are a Legend!

Third, If you have a problem killing someone that has a spritely pet, then PvP really is not your thing...

Honestly, you are going to complain about a pet talent that helps you through the game? That most people want and love to have, and why? Because what, you don't have one or can't get one? Should we cry you a river? No wait, I see you have a river under you...

Sorry, but this is the worst complaint I have seen yet, and you call yourself classact... lol you a funny guy!

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
classact21 wrote:
So I don't like it, but I understand the concept of spritely and using pets to gain an edge in battle.

But when a teen sea dragon casts spritely 3 times in a row.... I have a serious issue with that.
They try so hard to balance pvp and provide something to players that isn't the same map layouts and quests with a couple words swapped out for each new world, and I appreciate that. Because that gets really old, really really fast.

All i'm requesting is that there be a grace period in which your pet will not spam the spell every round. Maybe make it wait until the first HoT falls off? Groundbreaking, I know. >.>

I can't even think about dropping a DoT on someone with a sea dragon, because the second I do, its spritely -> spritely -> spritely. Without using the players pips, turns, or cards.
This is unacceptable; being punished for using damage over time spells in my strategy. Just because KI wants an extra 20$ in their pocket? Are you kidding me?

Maybe if they weakened a pets sprite, since its not even a wizard, and we apparently have to go to school to master magic. These things are better than half of the players who have them.

What kind of person does it take to think that unlimited self heals costing absolutely nothing from the player is fair? One that sees 20$ in their pocket for every Sea dragon in the spiral, thats who.

How do I out-damage 300+ health a round, every round, for the entire battle?
I can't set up a 1 hit kill, because while their pet is winning for them, they can just ward/tower/heal themselves. And this is exactly what they do, since most don't know strategy.
I would run out of cards long before that sea dragon would ever stop casting sprite, and it was my understanding that pvp wasn't about turtling up until your opponent gives up or runs out of cards. I guess I could be wrong, and in that case ignore this post.

I don't care if you are so bad that you need this tactic to win. Its pathetic and if that's what it takes for you to feel a little self worth then all i feel for you is pity.

Don't want to make a grace period? Limit the number of times it can cast it. Even if it the cap is set at 8 sprites, at least its not unlimited self heals. Seriously KI, fire that guy if you haven't already. Or provide some justification to how this balances anything other than your checkbooks.
I agree to everything you say. Spritely IS often spammed by pets. It "Breaks" your one hit KO. But when it spams spritely - its not cool with me. besides i trained a lot of pets and i dont even get spritely. W101 devolopers should indeed decrease spritely or whatever's percentage. BUT if this is going to happen it will take quite long time.

Defender
Sep 14, 2010
Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
I will reply to this the same way I reply to everyone else who has a problem like this.
If you don't like pvp, stop playing pvp!
William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer
8)

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
spritely is fine as it is, don't fix what isn't broken... all my pets have spritely and I haven't ever spent crowns on pets and once again I could care less about low level PvP, if you don't like low level PvP then level up (hint: if you play the game it doesn't take long)

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
*sighhh*

C'mon guys, are we really debating spritely now??
This is so pathetic. I cant believe this is even an issue!

I'm really getting so annoyed with all the complainers on here, my gawd!

I swear there are people who purposely go around looking for things to whine about. This game was made for kids, but the sad thing is it's adults who do the most crying.

If you lose to someone with sprite in pvp, I guarantee it's not the minor healing that made you lose. Perhaps pvp isnt for you.

We all know the story of the wizard who cried wolf. You people are diluting the real legit complaints with all this nonsense. One day when there actually IS a real problem, it will be dismissed by KI

Defender
Sep 18, 2009
Uhh, there are a LOT of pets out there with spritely that cost much less than the sea dragon. You can get one of those pets by hatching with one. The idea of PvP is to win by gearing up the best that you can, correct? So why do people cry and whine when someone else's gear/pet/spell beats them?
Thsi is why I don't PvP. The winners gloat, the losers cry, and a rare few ever seem to actually play for fun.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
sparksorwdz wrote:
I agree to everything you say. Spritely IS often spammed by pets ... besides i trained a lot of pets and i dont even get spritely.

Gee, what a surprise..

It's always the people without a certain thing, that complain about those with it.

If you had sprite, you would be singing a very different tune.
Clearly you have tried to get it several times, so it's obviously something you want. So why complain about it? Just get it.

You just seem bitter because it didnt work out for you. I trained over 10 pets trying to get spritely. It's not supposed to be easy. Work for it. Dont complain about something, then in the same breath admit to trying to obtain it. Makes NO sense

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
KI did not too long ago look at adjusting the rates of spritely casting by pets and tried to implement a change in test realm. The result was pets casting spritely became so low the pets were basically useless. The community spoke loudly and adamently requesting that this change not go to live realm. The concerns came from both those in PVE and PVP. Every time KI makes adjustments to "may cast" effects or drop rates of items that are based on random generation mechanics they run into problems with some of their customers being unhappy. Their program does not seem to be able to make the fine tuning adjustments that can handle the type of scaling you are suggesting.

Thankfully, KI listened to the requests of their customers on the spritely casting issue. There are a great many happy spritely pet owners out there as a result. There are other issues out there that KI has yet to address the concerns of their customers on, and I sincerely hope they will follow the path that they chose with spritely pets and listen to their customers requests on other topics. Wizard101 is a wonderful game. Part of what has made it so successful is the communication between KI and it's customers.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Reshuffle puts all the cards from your discard pile in your deck. Put two copies in your deck, it becomes endless, as you get the first reshuffle back after using the second one.

Reshuffle reshuffles itself, so you only need one reshuffle in your deck these days.

Delver
Aug 13, 2010
Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
Honestly you are just as bad for acting like I want the spell removed completely. Sure lots of pets can have spritely, and i've alreadt taken 6 to ancient trying to get it with no luck. Have I heard the saying 'if you cant beat em, join em' ? I've actually started a thread in this forum with that very title, about Talos treasure cards. That was easy as it is not as much of an impact on my gold or time.

As anyone who read the OP would know, I only suggest that there be a cap or cooldown to the number of times it can be cast. My complaint was not that the spell wasn't fair, just the ability for it to be spammed constantly with no downside to the user.

I wouldn't have to reiterate if you had read the post in the first place, instead of just lumping this with 'another spritely complaint'.

And I will state myself once more so you can't even justify not understanding.
This is a suggestion. Thats it. Any spritely debate in this thread is completely brought on by you elitists who think everyone has the time and crowns to compete in pvp.
A suggestion. Not a debate. Do you get it yet? I shouldn't have to explain the difference another time.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
classact21 wrote:
Honestly you are just as bad for acting like I want the spell removed completely. Sure lots of pets can have spritely, and i've alreadt taken 6 to ancient trying to get it with no luck. Have I heard the saying 'if you cant beat em, join em' ? I've actually started a thread in this forum with that very title, about Talos treasure cards. That was easy as it is not as much of an impact on my gold or time.

As anyone who read the OP would know, I only suggest that there be a cap or cooldown to the number of times it can be cast. My complaint was not that the spell wasn't fair, just the ability for it to be spammed constantly with no downside to the user.

I wouldn't have to reiterate if you had read the post in the first place, instead of just lumping this with 'another spritely complaint'.

And I will state myself once more so you can't even justify not understanding.
This is a suggestion. Thats it. Any spritely debate in this thread is completely brought on by you elitists who think everyone has the time and crowns to compete in pvp.
A suggestion. Not a debate. Do you get it yet? I shouldn't have to explain the difference another time.

The problem with your suggestion is, it has been tried before... There was a time during test realm, when KI did lower and limit the cast rate of pets with the spritely talent...

What you may not know, is it changed it, so drastically, that it rarely cast anymore... KI claimed it was only a minor reduction, but in reality, it was a huge reduction...

So, the community spoke out, because some people, paid good and real money for these pets with the spritely talent... Others took a lot of time, farming, hatching, and everything else you can think of, to finally get a pet with the spritely talent...

All that would have went to waste and made everyone extremely unhappy... Because the spritely talent would have pretty much been useless if that change went into effect...

Now, your so called "Suggestion" is made, without actual thought of others... You may be annoyed, and even a few others may be annoyed when it casts more than once, but a lot of others are not! Also, this typically happens when you are playing 4v4 PvP, not 1v1... There is a huge difference...

So, my advice, before you continue to make suggestions, is get the facts, think of the consequences, then decide if your suggestion is worth making!

Because, this suggestion, is very much worth debating you over and telling you how wrong it is! Even if you dont want a debate, you made the suggestion, so we are giving you our answers!

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Hey, classact, i believe you kind of overstepped the bounds of what most would consider a polite suggestion when you actually stated that someone should lose their job for the mechanics of the spritely talent. I'd personally put the priority of someone's occupation over you losing in pvp any day. -eli and crew

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
darthjt wrote:

The problem with your suggestion is, it has been tried before... There was a time during test realm, when KI did lower and limit the cast rate of pets with the spritely talent...

What you may not know, is it changed it, so drastically, that it rarely cast anymore... KI claimed it was only a minor reduction, but in reality, it was a huge reduction...

Thank you! Finally someone with a straight answer to the original post.

Not at darthjt:
There's no need to pvp on the forums just because you're tired of reading about spritely complaints. Honestly....you clicked the thread, and chose to respond to it. (after not reading the OP)

darthjt wrote:

Now, your so called "Suggestion" is made, without actual thought of others... You may be annoyed, and even a few others may be annoyed when it casts more than once, but a lot of others are not! Also, this typically happens when you are playing 4v4 PvP, not 1v1... There is a huge difference...

Totally a huge difference. But this happened to me in 1v1. I can understand if there was even a 50% chance for it to trigger upon a DoT being cast on you. But it was triggered every time the DoT triggered. With fire elf doing 50+210 over 3 rounds, and Spritely doing more heals than that with a single cast of sprite, it seems completely unbalanced to counter act that with 3 or more casts of the spell.

darthjt wrote:

So, my advice, before you continue to make suggestions, is get the facts, think of the consequences, then decide if your suggestion is worth making!

Because, this suggestion, is very much worth debating you over and telling you how wrong it is! Even if you dont want a debate, you made the suggestion, so we are giving you our answers!

I did get the facts, finally. And I thank you again for it since no one else had the sense to. And most of the kids who replied in disagreement probably weren't even aware of the test,. like me. So don't be afraid to answer someone's question without so many notes of negativity next time, k?

To those that say I only 'complain' about spritely because I dont have it, have a terrible mindset that I hope they don't apply to other, much more important, areas of their life.
If I had a pet with spritely, and I will soon, I would still 'complain' about it.
If you think that everyone is like you, because you wouldn't complain about something that benefits you, we call that immaturity in the grown up world.
Fairness is objective and goes beyond any one individuals perspective, which is why I suggested a few other ways to deal with this topic-
rather than stating 'i feel this way so thats how it is and i'm right and youre wrong' which is i'm sure how most people took it. Maybe because thats how they feel about the OP. Hypocritical, I know. But asking for introspection would be too much at this point as it's beyond them already.

Upon learning my suggestions were already tried but without luck, this thread should be closed as any other responses would be irrelevant, as most already are.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
classact21 wrote:

Are we talking DoT conspiracy here *looks around* KI how could you ;) hehe
classact21 wrote:
would run out of cards long before that sea dragon would ever stop casting sprite.
Running out of cards hmm, seems like spritely isn't your only problem.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
I think the biggest problem with spritely is that it takes so much time out of a match, I would be extremely happy if they took away the animation when your pet casts it (so it would just look like helping hands.)

I do think spritely heals a little too much for not having to spend a turn. With the right gear (no charms or bubbles required), my pet's sprite will heal me for 108+675, don't you think that's a little excessive for not having to spend any turn or pips. I have two suggestions:

1. Cut the amount spritely heals in half. That way it would heal 25+150.

2. Make healing boosts not effect the talent spritely.

If one of these things are added, they will not take away the edge that spritely gives, but will make it not something that will overpower the other player if cast excessively.

-Solstice64

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:
I think the biggest problem with spritely is that it takes so much time out of a match, I would be extremely happy if they took away the animation when your pet casts it (so it would just look like helping hands.)

I do think spritely heals a little too much for not having to spend a turn. With the right gear (no charms or bubbles required), my pet's sprite will heal me for 108+675, don't you think that's a little excessive for not having to spend any turn or pips. I have two suggestions:

1. Cut the amount spritely heals in half. That way it would heal 25+150.

2. Make healing boosts not effect the talent spritely.

If one of these things are added, they will not take away the edge that spritely gives, but will make it not something that will overpower the other player if cast excessively.

-Solstice64

I am not sure why PvP players think they are the only ones who play this game?

The Majority of people in this game, don't play PvP!

And with how broken PvP is, most good and real PvP players are taking a break, waiting for PvP to change or get some kind of fix!

So, who is left? The complainers...

When spritely was first introduced, it had the normal heal of 30 + 150/3

During an update, it was bumped up to 50 +300/3

Heals were too low when it was first introduced... Now, until you become level 56, your rings and athames don't give that much increase of incoming and outgoing health...

So again, some people are not thinking about everyone, only about themself...

I will not even get into game mechanics of boosts not effecting heals, it is why spritely will always steal guiding lights...

Do you know, how much of a minority the people that think spritely is too overpowered are? So much so, that KI decided to keep spritely the way it is... All this has been addressed before...

Some people want to whine and cry about everything in this game, even the good things... Don't look a gift horse in the mouth... They already took guaranteed Mega Snacks out of the WaterWorks, you want them to take out the best pet talent now too?

What are you trying to do? Put Wizards out of business?

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
Unfortunately there is not much of a line between pvp and pve other than
-100% mana gear and No-PvP cards. But there are reasons why those things are the way they are.

Clearly KI identifies those certain aspects of the game as 'unbalanced' or 'short-cutting,' and for logical reason.
If there was a system in place that allowed pets to act differently in pvp and pve, the problem wouldn't be that pvp players are affected by things that are necessary in pve, and vice versa if thats your case.

But i understand this would probably be something that would have needed to be done during early development of the game, and was probably considered at one point. Even more simple would be to have pvp/pve pets. Although that would change the dynamic of class specific pets and quest gifts and the like.

There is no quick answer to this, and regardless of any changes one side wont be happy. So don't act like our opinion is wrong because it affects you, when your opinion affects us in the same way that you don't want to be affected. Its easy to say no to something new when youre on the side of the argument already in effect.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
darthjt wrote:

I am not sure why PvP players think they are the only ones who play this game?

The Majority of people in this game, don't play PvP!

And with how broken PvP is, most good and real PvP players are taking a break, waiting for PvP to change or get some kind of fix!

So, who is left? The complainers...

When spritely was first introduced, it had the normal heal of 30 + 150/3

During an update, it was bumped up to 50 +300/3

Heals were too low when it was first introduced... Now, until you become level 56, your rings and athames don't give that much increase of incoming and outgoing health...

So again, some people are not thinking about everyone, only about themself...

I will not even get into game mechanics of boosts not effecting heals, it is why spritely will always steal guiding lights...

Do you know, how much of a minority the people that think spritely is too overpowered are? So much so, that KI decided to keep spritely the way it is... All this has been addressed before...

Some people want to whine and cry about everything in this game, even the good things... Don't look a gift horse in the mouth... They already took guaranteed Mega Snacks out of the WaterWorks, you want them to take out the best pet talent now too?

What are you trying to do? Put Wizards out of business?

How about we make my suggestions only effect pvp, that way, the people that don't pvp wouldn't get effected.

I only said clothing bonus shouldn't effect the talent spritely, not all heals. That also means the sanctuary and guiding light will still effect spritely.

Oh, I also noticed that you hinted at me being selfish, how I am a complainer instead of being a real pvper, how I whine and cry to get what I want. Oh, and that I want to put KI out of business. Lets keep our argument about spritely, not about how I am a selfish complainer who likes to whine and cry to get what I want.

-Solstice64

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Solstice,

I have seen you, for a long time, here on the message boards... Most of the time, you post reasonable and good requests...

However, somehow, you got off track with the spritely issue...

I am sorry, but there are a great many things that need to be fixed rather than KI worried about Pets in PvP, rather than the whole concept of PvP...

PvP is great for Legendaries, but PvP is so broken for lower levels that it is not even funny...

How about we get some real fixes first, before we even try and complain about a great talent that is for everyone, rather than try and fix something to make a few, very minor portion of the PvP players, happy...

I am sorry, if some of you PvP players, are not good enough to beat someone that has a pet with the Spritely Talent...

I can give you a few suggestions... Blades, blades, more blades, then traps, traps, and more traps... The more blades and traps you have, the more damage you can do... Did you know, every school can do over 1 million damage on their own? Sorry, but if every school can do that much damage, I don't see how another player, with a pet that has the spritely talent, and at max 4000 health, can survive!