Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

level 35 spell What a scam

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 21, 2011
I am a level 36 Death student and I just received my level 35 spell (after much anticipation!!!!) only to get a blade that takes 300 health from me to give me a +30% shield to next spell. I already have a plus 30 shield!!!! Why would I want to kill myself trying to attack for a shield I already have???? I think this game gives wayyyyy too many shields and not enough power punch spells. I have to wait until level 42 until I can get the wraith. I am very disappointed and now am regretting spending the money to pay to play this game. :-( :-( Please change this or at least give us buying customers better spells!!! Even the free to play gamers deserve better than this.

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
scholar33 wrote:
I am a level 36 Death student and I just received my level 35 spell (after much anticipation!!!!) only to get a blade that takes 300 health from me to give me a +30% shield to next spell. I already have a plus 30 shield!!!! Why would I want to kill myself trying to attack for a shield I already have???? I think this game gives wayyyyy too many shields and not enough power punch spells. I have to wait until level 42 until I can get the wraith. I am very disappointed and now am regretting spending the money to pay to play this game. :-( :-( Please change this or at least give us buying customers better spells!!! Even the free to play gamers deserve better than this.

I haven't the foggiest idea of what you're talking about. Dark Pact is like Sacrifice. You give a little of yourself for your benefit. The amount of damage you heal with your drain spells should counteract the amount taken from spells such as Sacrifice and Dark Pact.

Secondly, one spell that you didn't like and you're suddenly regretting playing the game? I don't like a lot of spells, either, but I'm not whining about them on the forums. Sorry if this sounds rude but seriously, get over it. This game has way too much to offer just to quit over something so stupidly trivial as a disliked spell.

Thirdly, your last statement is just flat-out wrong. Free-2-Play gamers can't even GET Dark Pact or ANY of the other awesome spells that you can get, so what were you talking about?

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
I can think of at least one good way to use this. But i'll enlighten you with two examples that are essentially the same.

You have a card that applies a death shield to you. Whether its 50%, 70%, or 85% and you don't want to discard it because you dont have any treasures on deck (no pun intended) worth searching for.
But what if you aren't fighting anything thats going to use a death spell on you?
Perfect!

The 300 damage to your own life that you take is considered death damage.
Having that shield on reduces how much life you sacrifice, but not how much you the shield protects you for. 70% death shield hanging at your feet? That 300 damage is now 75 damage you do to yourself. Such a small sacrifice to protect yourself with a universal 30% extra to whatever shields you might have already.
A similar spell:
Fire students will learn Immolate after defeating the boss in the first temple/tomb in Krokotopia and turning in to General (?) Talbot.
This does 300 (maybe 250, but we'll say 300 for this) to self for 650 to opponent.
I put on a fire shield (-85%) beforehand (i have plenty of time to find one, since immolate takes 4 pips to cast) so that I do 45 damage to myself, to hit my opponent for 650.

See what i'm getting at?
Shielding takes no pips, thus doesnt set you back anything but half a round, and if you won't sacrifice half a round for a small advantage, youre missing out on a lot of the wizard101 strategy.

Combining the above immolate tactic with a fire trap and a fire blade, as a level 20 pyromancer its easy to set up one spell to do over 1,000 damage in a single turn for just 4 pips!
But be warned! Blades youve put on yourself and traps someone puts on you will increase the amount of the damage done to yourself (within that school, obviously) as well! But in my immolate example its more than worth it.

The sacrifice-heal spell you learn early on as a death student is very useful when you apply this strategy, allowing you to heal for 700 after only doing less than 100 to yourself (depending on the %shield you have on). Thats at least a 600 point heal(again, depending) much better than 400 from a pixie.

Also, a little trick I've learned with this is that you can cast it even if the initial damage you take is going to kill you. If you have 50 health, you take 250 from using your spell; technically your life is 0. But the spell isn't interrupted or stopped early from this. So you will still get the +700 right after. Now you've bypassed taking 250 damage for just 50 damage, and a 650 heal. And this clears any traps or debuffs you may have had on you before you went to 0 health. Not sure if this was intended by KI but oh well c:

One quick final note- much of the death aspect of play revolves around taking these sorts of risks. I'll refer to feint (+70% trap[game counts it as a shield for some reason-so dont pierce this off on accident :P] on your opponent for a +30% trap on yourself) Again, another small sacrifice to increase damage. Its the death school after all, so make some sacrifices!

Explorer
Feb 18, 2011
um what spell are you talking about???

Ryan Owlwhisper lvl 60 life wiz

Adherent
May 20, 2010
I don't see the complaint. The spell was an added bonus that many players didn't even know they were getting when they started their Death wizard.

I can see where the spell would be useful in the right circumstances. Suppose you and others are facing four non-Death enemies. You have equipment that gives you a 50% damage boost. While waiting for Scarecrow, you put a Death Death Shield on yourself, then cast Dark Pact. You get unlucky and Critical. It does 300 x 1.5 x 0.2 x 2, or 180 damage. If the enemy happened to cast Weakness, it'd be less. So you take 180 damage and get a 30% blade. You then put a Deathblade on yourself. When you cast Scarecrow, it's going to do an additional 400 x .3 to all enemies, or 480 more damage than it would have without Dark Pact. It's also going to heal you for 240.

In simpler terms, the spell cost you 135 health and gave you 240 health and 480 more damage. For one pip-placing and one turn, you netted 105 health and 480 damage. That's better than almost any other spell for any other school can do for one pip. If your equipment has fewer boosts and/or there's no Critical, the net effect of Dark Pact is better.

I don't see the problem. The spell isn't useful in every circumstance. It isn't to be used against all enemies you'll face. Few spells are that good. But it can be a valuable tool in the right setting.

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
scholar33 wrote:
i guess it is sad to hear that :-( :-( :-( anyways maybe kingsisle will make it different??? if so thumb is up! if not thumb is down! well hope it gets changed! bye!

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
classact21 wrote:

A similar spell:
Fire students will learn Immolate after defeating the boss in the first temple/tomb in Krokotopia and turning in to General (?) Talbot.
This does 300 (maybe 250, but we'll say 300 for this) to self for 650 to opponent.
I put on a fire shield (-85%) beforehand (i have plenty of time to find one, since immolate takes 4 pips to cast) so that I do 45 damage to myself, to hit my opponent for 650.
Just so you know, Immolate does 250 damage. Anyway, yeah, there are a lot of spells that could be better, but you don't have to use them if you don't want to! The only attack spells I keep in my deck are Efreet, Fire Dragon, and a few polymorph spells. The others don't do enough damage to take on the Celestian and Wintertusk mobs.
William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer
8)

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I love immolate. I carry with me those 80% fire shields ontop of the tower shields. I always have ways to mitigate my damage. Considering that the level 4 Immolate spell is even more powerful than the level 4 Kraken spell, I feel myself alive with power! (Well, the wizard.)

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
I have an idea, how about you use dark pact first and then the blade after?

Survivor
Feb 21, 2011
classact21 wrote:
I can think of at least one good way to use this. But i'll enlighten you with two examples that are essentially the same.

You have a card that applies a death shield to you. Whether its 50%, 70%, or 85% and you don't want to discard it because you dont have any treasures on deck (no pun intended) worth searching for.
But what if you aren't fighting anything thats going to use a death spell on you?
Perfect!

Having that shield on reduces how much life you sacrifice, but not how much you the shield protects you for. 70% death shield hanging at your feet? That 300 damage is now 75 damage you do to yourself. Such a small sacrifice to protect yourself with a universal 30% extra to whatever shields you might have already.
A similar spell:

See what i'm getting at?
Shielding takes no pips, thus doesnt set you back anything but half a round, and if you won't sacrifice half a round for a small advantage, youre missing out on a lot of the wizard101 strategy.

Combining the above immolate tactic with a fire trap and a fire blade, as a level 20 pyromancer its easy to set up one spell to do over 1,000 damage in a single turn for just 4 pips!
But be warned! Blades youve put on yourself and traps someone puts on you will increase the amount of the damage done to yourself (within that school, obviously) as well! But in my immolate example its more than worth it.

The sacrifice-heal spell you learn early on as a death student is very useful when you apply this strategy, allowing you to heal for 700 after only doing less than 100 to yourself (depending on the %shield you have on). Thats at least a 600 point heal(again, depending) much better than 400 from a pixie.

Also, a little trick I've learned with this is that you can cast it even if the initial damage you take is going to kill you. If you have 50 health, you take 250 from using your spell; technically your life is 0. But the spell isn't interrupted or stopped early from this. So you will still get the +700 right after. Now you've bypassed taking 250 damage for just 50 damage, and a 650 heal. And this clears any traps or debuffs you may have had on you before you went to 0 health. Not sure if this was intended by KI but oh well c:

One quick final note- much of the death aspect of play revolves around taking these sorts of risks. I'll refer to feint (+70% trap[game counts it as a shield for some reason-so dont pierce this off on accident :P] on your opponent for a +30% trap on yourself) Again, another small sacrifice to increase damage. Its the death school after all, so make some sacrifices!

Thanks for the info I was probably in a bad mood that day and was just wanting to vent. I waited a long time for that spell and was just surprised that it was another shield. Thanks again.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Superwiz1560 wrote:
scholar33 wrote:

I haven't the foggiest idea of what you're talking about. Dark Pact is like Sacrifice. You give a little of yourself for your benefit. The amount of damage you heal with your drain spells should counteract the amount taken from spells such as Sacrifice and Dark Pact.

Secondly, one spell that you didn't like and you're suddenly regretting playing the game? I don't like a lot of spells, either, but I'm not whining about them on the forums. Sorry if this sounds rude but seriously, get over it. This game has way too much to offer just to quit over something so stupidly trivial as a disliked spell.

Thirdly, your last statement is just flat-out wrong. Free-2-Play gamers can't even GET Dark Pact or ANY of the other awesome spells that you can get, so what were you talking about?
Dark pact puts a charm on you (not a shield) and it's very useful.

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
classact21 wrote:

Perfect!

A similar spell:

See what i'm getting at?

I'd rather use feint now too seeing it was updated. It use to be 70% to both, but they made it so much batter

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
You think it's a scam and you don't even have to pay a cent for it. You should be thankful you even got a spell at all.