Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Putting My Deck on a Diet

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
A few weeks ago, a very helpful and experienced player suggested that my Myth would have greater success with a much-pared-down deck set up for quicker attacks on Celestian mobs. Now my Storied Deck has 60 slots. And usually, I felt obliged to fill every one of them with lots of different cool spells. Star spells! Shields! Lots of Medusas, because she's awesome. Pierce spells, Cleanse spells, Shatter spells, Tower shields and Weaknesses. Three or four Satyrs, just in case. Yep, I had a place for all of them. But after I got this excellent advice, I tried to slim down my overweight deck. I really did. Only one Pierce. Maybe two Weaknesses. Okay, only two Medusas. Four Orthrus instead of five. Right. Well of course I now realize that my friend was not talking about trimming the edges. He meant really cut down to the basics. Sun boosts, Frogs, a few Earthquakes, some blades and bubbles. That's it. Oh, it was hard. As hard as giving up ice cream and potato chips. I cut down, then back-slid. Over and over--those extra spells kept sneaking back, like those little cream puffs you shouldn't have. But I finally had the courage to really do it, and I have to say, the results have been amazing. Faster fights, many fewer defeats. And the extra boost that comes from Being Bold. It's hard to give up on all the possibilities, but in order to win, you need to have tunnel vision. A good lesson for the game, and maybe for life, too. Travel light, get where you're going faster. :-)

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Good advice, but in addition to slimmed down decks you also need multiple decks for different situations. The reason you kept creeping in extra cards was because you encountered certain duels that needed certain cards. My advice is to keep multiple decks for certain situations, but keep those decks very low on the number of cards. My personal decks include: solo deck (heal/survive heavy, usually for long boss fights), AOE deck (primary for street fights), Conversion deck (for fighting the same enemies as your school) and Special deck (for cheating bosses, so I don't keep messing up my other decks).

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
kingurz wrote:
Good advice, but in addition to slimmed down decks you also need multiple decks for different situations. The reason you kept creeping in extra cards was because you encountered certain duels that needed certain cards. My advice is to keep multiple decks for certain situations, but keep those decks very low on the number of cards. My personal decks include: solo deck (heal/survive heavy, usually for long boss fights), AOE deck (primary for street fights), Conversion deck (for fighting the same enemies as your school) and Special deck (for cheating bosses, so I don't keep messing up my other decks).

Hm, maybe I should try that, and have the Deck of the Lotus equipped just for show. 50 cards, but I never get what I need. Wizard City decks are cheap and common, maybe a couple of those.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
I have a very similar setup to what kingurz described using multiple decks, but i also keep 4 or 5 prisms plus a cat bandit polymorph in each of my sideboards for those 'oops! i'm caught by myth enemies' battles. -elijah darkthorn, legendary conjurer

Champion
May 03, 2011
My personal decks include: solo deck (heal/survive heavy, usually for long boss fights), AOE deck (primary for street fights), Conversion deck (for fighting the same enemies as your school) and Special deck (for cheating bosses, so I don't keep messing up my other decks).

Yes, I am trying to move into this next phase of gameplay, with multiple decks for different situations. So far I'm kind of uncertain about how to structure these. In particular, if anyone out there has tips about how you play against your own school, I'd be grateful. I have a deck for Myth guys, but it's pretty ineffective as it is. I never seem to get enough prisms, for one thing, even if I have six or so in there. Should I rely more on treasure cards, then? I have an added problem because of Myth's double hits (Minotaur/Orthrus). The converts only work for the first blow, so I need two! This is almost impossible to accomplish. My most effective strategy seems to be calling for help! :? But help isn't always available, and henchmen aren't that reliable--they sometimes die, and then I need another one, which gets kind of expensive for a simple mob fight. Besides, they are not good company. :-) Advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2011
Hmm great idea having multiple specialized decks. I have been told that before by other wizards. I am a balance wizard and I find it hard to do any paring down in my deck. I have 3 Lotus Decks, one for fighting alone, one for fighting with other players and one for PvP which I don't really do at all. The problem is this, I have so many trap cards and not that many damage cards and the trap cards help so much that I can't decide what to put in and what to leave out lol. I really need some help with this because I too have surmised that it would be better to have a pared down deck, hence quicker battles. Also, is there a quicker way to change decks? At the moment I equip it and then go in and look to see which one I have on and if it's not the right one then I have to do that process all over again till I get the right one. That is really annoying for people who are waiting for me to come and help them.

Autumn Dragon Talon level 37 Balance Wizard

Survivor
Jul 29, 2011
I'm in Dragonspyre and I've been using a hybrid approach that's working very well for me so far.

Instead of having a super-minimalist deck, I still with a one-size-fits-all approach and have a largeish (35 card) deck that has all the cards I need in roughly the proporitions I need them in - single target, aoe, off-school attacks, blades and traps (from several schools), minions, prisms, and heals.

Since it takes a few turns for me to set up an attack, I aggressively discard cards out of my hand that I don't need or don't think I'll need. I keep one reshuffle in my deck to in case I overdo it or the fight goes on for a really long time due to fizzles or the mob having very high HP. If I find I discard a card much more often than I use it I'll reduce how many I have in my deck or may remove it completely. And just in case I have an unlucky streak at an inopportune moment I keep plenty of extra attacks and smoke screens in my side deck.

So far it's working great. I hear things get a lot harder in Celestia though, so we'll see.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Indeed, small decks are probably one of the best things you can have.

However, instead of walking around with multiple decks and changing them out all the time, I include all of the very essential survival cards, and then change out the elemental shields and spells/tactics as I come to different battles.

That is simply my preferred method of 'adapting' to different situations.

The only time I actually switch out entire decks is in Waterworks.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
But I finally had the courage to really do it, and I have to say, the results have been amazing. Faster fights, many fewer defeats. And the extra boost that comes from Being Bold. It's hard to give up on all the possibilities, but in order to win, you need to have tunnel vision. A good lesson for the game, and maybe for life, too. Travel light, get where you're going faster. :-)

Sweet. 8)
Nice to see you harnessing your inner power.
Just in time for Waterworks...

Survivor
Apr 12, 2011
Could you elaborate more on the different decks...about how many cards to each deck and what type of cards you put in them.I'm still learning and wish to become more battle ready..thanks ahead for any help given.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
My personal decks include: solo deck (heal/survive heavy, usually for long boss fights), AOE deck (primary for street fights), Conversion deck (for fighting the same enemies as your school) and Special deck (for cheating bosses, so I don't keep messing up my other decks).

Yes, I am trying to move into this next phase of gameplay, with multiple decks for different situations. So far I'm kind of uncertain about how to structure these. In particular, if anyone out there has tips about how you play against your own school, I'd be grateful. I have a deck for Myth guys, but it's pretty ineffective as it is. I never seem to get enough prisms, for one thing, even if I have six or so in there. Should I rely more on treasure cards, then? I have an added problem because of Myth's double hits (Minotaur/Orthrus). The converts only work for the first blow, so I need two! This is almost impossible to accomplish. My most effective strategy seems to be calling for help! :? But help isn't always available, and henchmen aren't that reliable--they sometimes die, and then I need another one, which gets kind of expensive for a simple mob fight. Besides, they are not good company. :-) Advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

For fighting myth, I go with as many prisms and myth shields as possible, and only use single hit myth spells such as medusa, or ninja pig treasure cards. I even keep my blades light (3 to 4 blades tops), leave myth traps out completely and if I throw in a minion, its the minotaur since he mostly distracts and is unlikely to waste my prism. The trick with same school fights is to get prisms on as soon as possible because then it doesn't matter if they use a storm shield and you won't have to waste rounds wanding or piercing it off. You do have a new possibility as of wintertusk though... and that is to use shatter. You're still going to want to go with single hit spells (and don't underestimate the power of a gargantuan cyclops combined with a feint) because they don't require double prisms. Final piece of advice... if you're going to use time of legend, cast it just one or two rounds before you're ready to kill them so that they can't use it against you for too long...

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
buddahgirl51 wrote:
The problem is this, I have so many trap cards and not that many damage cards and the trap cards help so much that I can't decide what to put in and what to leave out lol. I really need some help with this because I too have surmised that it would be better to have a pared down deck, hence quicker battles.

Take a look at the health total of the highest health enemies in the world your fighting. Take your highest attack card (single or AOE) and see if just casting alone will get the job done. If not, add a blade or trap one at a time to reach that magic number. Most cases, a single 0 pip blade and single 0 pip trap will get the job done (since your attack spells increase regularly as you level up, except in life and ice cases). However, bosses usually get really high in health numbers. In those fights you just might need several blades and traps to stack against them to accomplish a one or two shot kill.

buddahgirl51 wrote:
Also, is there a quicker way to change decks? At the moment I equip it and then go in and look to see which one I have on and if it's not the right one then I have to do that process all over again till I get the right one. That is really annoying for people who are waiting for me to come and help them.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way. I asked in the Dorms section for KI to create equipment "sets." In other words, you equip one set of clothing that comes will all the hats, robes, boots, wands, and decks in one click. So instead of clicking through multiple decks, wands, etc for each different fight, you get one. Example, if you are Myth fighting Myth, not only is your deck setup with Prisms, but your wand automatically equips with a Storm wand (for those storm shields) and your hat, robe, and boots are all Myth resist type clothing.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
windswalker wrote:
Could you elaborate more on the different decks...about how many cards to each deck and what type of cards you put in them.I'm still learning and wish to become more battle ready..thanks ahead for any help given.

For the AOE decks about 10 cards. (Fire Example): 1 (0) pip Fireblade, 1 (1) pip Elemental Blade, 3 (0) pip Glacial Shield, 1 (0) pip Garguantuan, 1 (1) pip Smokescreen, 1 (2) pip Pixie, 2 (7) pip Fire Dragons.

A 2 bladed garg'd Fire Dragon takes care of most enemies in Wizard101. The Smokescreen and Pixie are used during the DoT portion of the Fire Dragon. The Glacial Shields are just fillers while I'm waiting on pips for Fire Dragon. I deliberately chose Fire as an example, because it is a school with very few organic 0 pip spells. However, the theory is to fill 3 beneficial 0 pip spells while waiting on the highest AOE spell in your inventory (Hello Pierce or Star school spells!). The extra Fire Dragon is in case one or more enemies uses a Tower or similar shield. This is not the end all, be all example either. Some wizards prefer faster 4 pip AOE spells instead. The goal is to have "eyes on" an AOE card early. I personally don't keep heal cards in my AOE deck, the goal is to defeat and heal with wisps after (these are usually for street fights anyways).

Early life school AOE deck strategy is a whole other ballgame.

The conversion decks are about the same, except I am adding 5-6 extra cards in the form of Prisms. The emphasis is more on getting more of and quicker draws of those prisms. I don't like traps in AOE decks, but this is the exception. You could also even lower the card count by adding several Polymorph cards to a deck (it will likely be a longer fight though with the extra "morphing" turns).

For either deck, you could choose to add 1-2 single target damage spell in case of mixed enemy types to take care of stragglers. This usually happens in my conversion deck.

For Boss decks, take a look at the current boss with the highest amount of health in your current world. Add all the cards necessary to reach that amount, whether your strategy is one shot or chipping away (you can right click the unneccesary blades/traps for bosses with less life). Only put in cards you need or use consistently. Why have 4 Pixies if you usually only heal once in a fight? By reducing enough cards you will get that Pixie eventually. For each boss deck, I usually keep one Prism (for any minions that are same school) and one AOE card (to damage the minions and the boss at the same time). More than 25-30 cards is probably too much. The goal is by 8 turns the minion is gone and a significant portion of the boss's health is gone. Again, more 0 pip spells is a good thing (whether offense or defense).

Special decks change so often is hard to say, but special decks have all the cards necessary to win that particular duel/dungeon (which usually equates to a deck with a high amount of slots for treasure cards).

Finally, keep Reshuffle in mind for all deck types (especially long boss fights). If any deck strategy comes up short, throw two of those cards in your deck to keep recycling cards until you win. Or better yet, get the treasure card versions and save the training points for more 0 pip spells!!!

Explorer
Jul 21, 2009
I too have "Crafted Decks."
They Include;

PVP Deck (I haven't played PVP in probably a year, so IDK why I have this deck!)

Solo Deck (Like Kingurz)

Same-School-As-Me Deck, chock full of Life to Death conversions.

Power Deck, Full of cards that are really powerful, such as Storm, and very little Healing. Ideal for helping players who are lower than you.

I have some more, too, but these are my main ones.
I've also met some wizards who have a deck for each school. THAT must take planning, and a whole wack of traning points and treasure cards.

Also, (I'm having a MAJOR NOOB MOMENT!) what does AoE Stand for?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
flipper2299 wrote:
Also, (I'm having a MAJOR NOOB MOMENT!) what does AoE Stand for?

Area of Effect. Spells that hit all enemies at the same time, or in other games, spells that hit all the enemies in a certain sized area.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kingurz wrote:
Unfortunately, I haven't found a way. I asked in the Dorms section for KI to create equipment "sets." In other words, you equip one set of clothing that comes will all the hats, robes, boots, wands, and decks in one click. So instead of clicking through multiple decks, wands, etc for each different fight, you get one.

The only "quick" option that I am aware of is to use ctrl+k which rolls to the next deck. That works pretty well if you use different decks, but not as well if they all have the same name. I agree with you though... it would be nice to be able to associate different decks automatically with different situations. :D

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
I just use 1 deck on all my wiz. 8)
It has a short list of essential spells and I adjust it slightly for whatever battle I am going into.
Sometimes, like at Waterworks It takes me a minute or two to make the changes between boss and mob fights but usually just about 10 seconds.
I don't really see any benefit to managing multiple decks, but if that works for you then more power to you.

My only real complaint about decks/spells, at the risk of going off topic, is that a level 1 and a level 60 have the same 7 random cards to start a battle. Why doesn't a level 60 have more control or more choices on the order that the spells pop up? That and I always thought the wand should be separate from the deck: That is, you always get (only) 1 wand (if equipped) and 6 spell card (my previous gripe nonwithstanding). I suppose this a discussion for another day....

Mastermind
May 02, 2009
i use reshuffle in every deck so i can tosscard i don't need so i can draw extra card next turn.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2011
Unfortunately, I haven't found a way. I asked in the Dorms section for KI to create equipment "sets." In other words, you equip one set of clothing that comes will all the hats, robes, boots, wands, and decks in one click. So instead of clicking through multiple decks, wands, etc for each different fight, you get one. Example, if you are Myth fighting Myth, not only is your deck setup with Prisms, but your wand automatically equips with a Storm wand (for those storm shields) and your hat, robe, and boots are all Myth resist type clothing.

I also would love for KI to create equipment set abilities on this game. It would definitely make me a more efficient player ;-) Thank you for your reply Kingurz :-)

Autumn Dragon Talon level 37 Balance Wizard

Historian
May 01, 2010
i havent mastered my life character enough to even make a good deck yet but on my fire, i have two main decks, that is a starter deck (for helping friends in mb down) and its full of meteors, gargantuans, and fire blades and a dragon jsut in case, and my main deck (unlike my life i have mastered fire enough so i made a perfect deck to my tastes) and if i am against fire enemies, i usually take out some dragons and put in converts (sometimes all of them) and other than that i dont change it (even suits my pvp strategy, or in other words, winging it with no plan )

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
I decided to have less copies of things in my deck to make room. Since when do I need 4 Judgements? I put 2 for each attack spell, just incase of fizzles. I only have under half my deck filled, and I can fit in Power Play, Weakness, and Black Mantle, all 3 spells I never really got to use. I can still brag that I have a better deck than my friends, but still use this strategy. The only thing I put 4 of, was Pixie. They are life savers, so might as well. I'm gonna try this on Katzenstiens Lab when I do that, to see how it works out.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I go with the general small deck that I modify for the situation. Usually 4 blades, 4 attack, 2 heal for the main thrust, then a few for the situation.

As far as myth's prism problem....carry some of them in the treasure card section, easy to pull when needed, and not as limited as the main card section.

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
Thank you so much, Tabby 714!
I can never find the spell i want, so slimmed my deck so i would have only the essentials. It worked! I find it much easier to defeat mobs and pvp players now!
William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer
8)

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
as a legendary player I always go with short decks even in PvP, if I worry I'll run out of cards I just put a couple reshuffles in my treasures of which rarely will ever need or use

Survivor
Jul 30, 2009
I use 3 decks questing (sheild/heal) and my prism deck lastly my power deck stacked with frost giants and snow angels.