Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Marleybone Balloon cars/Krokotopia boat are pointl

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
These are really a waste of time.

The first time you ride them, it's novel. You look at the view and enjoy the ride. The second time you ride them, you are bored and frustrated that you have to wait so long. Every time after that is even more frustrating.

They really have absolutely no purpose other than to absorb a couple minutes of playing time. I love the idea of having methods of transport like this....when they are necessary. These are not necessary.

What would make these more "necessary", is if they were within a loaded area and required no loading. You just get on and go. Even if you have to wait for the boat to return to get on, at least it makes sense. I don't want to load a whole boat ride area just to ride the boat. I have to load the next area anyway. Why not just load the next area? The boat ride itself just makes no sense.

Now, on Krokotopia, if I could get on this boat directly without loading, float over to the other island and step off the boat onto that island without loading, that would be great!

I just got really tired of the trips in all the balloon cars in Marleybone. You have so many quests taking you back and forth, it ends up swallowing huge chunks of playing time riding on these things.

I hope I don't sound too negative. Here are a couple of suggestions just in case any changes will ever be made to this:

1. If you want to leave them in, make the boats move faster. I timed my trip to the Ironworks at roughly 35 seconds. Cut this down to 10-15 seconds at least. Or just show a quick video clip of the boat quickly going to the next area.

2. Remove at least some of these rides completely. Make us run up stairs or something instead to get to the rooftops at Marleybone.

3. Link the areas to make them all one area so the boats have a point and we don't go through the Load, Ride, Load thing. A tough job and probably not feasible but would be really nice.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
I find the trips relaxing. In the begining i enjoyed the wiew but now i am using the time to rearange my deck or something.

//Richard Darkstone - Spiral Traveler

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Personally I just find it annoying beyond the first few trips to enjoy the scenery. There should be an option button to "skip" it if you choose as it really is just a "cut-scene".

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
Yes it takes chunks of time if you add it up and sooner or later it gets rather annoying. I have said this many times and will glady say it again. In fact i have said it so many times i should just make it my quote
Anyways:
"Your not the only wizard playing Wizard101. There are Millions of different Wizards so even if you hate something in Wizard101, there is at least one wizard that likes the idea"
And we are all important here in Wizard101 so each persons likes and dislikes are different.

I for one enjoy the ride and would be sad to see them go
Also, wouldnt you like them to update the game more things for enjoyment rather then delete things?

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
Myut Your right :P I rather enjoy the boats no doubt your the only one who hates them but sometimes I enjoy looking at big ben :P from my view! I think myut shouldn't say his quote cause he is 100% right

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
So Your thinking about removing the battle drake I have never rode it but I have seen videos. I also enjoyed watching that IT WAS SO COOL! But that is probably the fasted one out of all of them.

Explorer
Nov 23, 2008
i love the rides it is nice sceenery and well worthit they should be kept.
actualy there should maybe be cars or horse and bugies to ride around everywhere lol

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
i agree they should be changed but not removed. But it is almost UNBEARABLE when i am in a hurry.

one suggestion is make a skip ride button so that if you want to watch and enjoy go right ahead but if you want to skip, click it and move on to your next location.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
Myutlonghorns wrote:

I for one enjoy the ride and would be sad to see them go
Also, wouldnt you like them to update the game more things for enjoyment rather then delete things?

Sure. And this would be an update that would make the game more enjoyable. You're right in that the dev's goal should be to make it more enjoyable. I don't think it matters whether you're adding or deleting things, so long as you're moving toward that goal.

yidskey wrote:

actualy there should maybe be cars or horse and bugies to ride around everywhere lol

Ugh! Can you imagine doing one of the cut-scenes every time you need to travel somewhere? No thanks. But maybe that's not what you meant...

Now, if you're imagining ways to move around in an area faster, I'm all for that! When you have to run from one end of the world to the other, it can be frustrating. But having mounts would be great as long as it actually did save time. Or I'd just take some boots that would increase my foot speed....

All that being said, I can see that many people like these cut-scenes. I work for a living though and have several kids to take care of. I have an hour or two at night to play after everyone's in bed. With the little amount of time I have I try to move as fast as I can. And these cut-scenes really bog me down.

I have no problem with them being there, but something should be done to shorten them for people if they don't want to experience them for the 50th time. The SKIP idea is a great one. It's simple and would save a ton of time in the long run.

Community Leader
Oh, I don't know. I rather enjoy the ride, myself. Gives me a chance to sort my cards and plan.

Explorer
Feb 09, 2009
I do not like the rides, for the exact same reasons as the first poster.

Having an option to skip them would be great.

Survivor
Jan 20, 2009
rhetoric wrote:
These are really a waste of time.

The first time you ride them, it's novel. You look at the view and enjoy the ride. The second time you ride them, you are bored and frustrated that you have to wait so long. Every time after that is even more frustrating.

They really have absolutely no purpose other than to absorb a couple minutes of playing time. I love the idea of having methods of transport like this....when they are necessary. These are not necessary.

What would make these more "necessary", is if they were within a loaded area and required no loading. You just get on and go. Even if you have to wait for the boat to return to get on, at least it makes sense. I don't want to load a whole boat ride area just to ride the boat. I have to load the next area anyway. Why not just load the next area? The boat ride itself just makes no sense.

Now, on Krokotopia, if I could get on this boat directly without loading, float over to the other island and step off the boat onto that island without loading, that would be great!

I just got really tired of the trips in all the balloon cars in Marleybone. You have so many quests taking you back and forth, it ends up swallowing huge chunks of playing time riding on these things.

I hope I don't sound too negative. Here are a couple of suggestions just in case any changes will ever be made to this:

1. If you want to leave them in, make the boats move faster. I timed my trip to the Ironworks at roughly 35 seconds. Cut this down to 10-15 seconds at least. Or just show a quick video clip of the boat quickly going to the next area.

2. Remove at least some of these rides completely. Make us run up stairs or something instead to get to the rooftops at Marleybone.

3. Link the areas to make them all one area so the boats have a point and we don't go through the Load, Ride, Load thing. A tough job and probably not feasible but would be really nice.

i actually like the rides they are relaxing

Explorer
Feb 05, 2009
I love the rides and would not want to see them go, yes they they take time but this is an MMORPG and travel is something you need to do. However, I guess if you wanted to accommodate the people who find it annoying maybe make teleport points for them (but maybe also make it cost 20 mana :Evil Grin: and a muhahahahah )

Oh and the dragon need to at some point hop out of the canyon, do high sky loop, roar and re-enter the canyon (That would be so awesome). I hope our drake is continued in the story line, along with enhancing it and the dragon riders staff.

Survivor
Nov 17, 2008
When you ride on the blimps all of them you get a badge i never got it through.

Explorer
Feb 05, 2009
wyattavery wrote:
When you ride on the blimps all of them you get a badge i never got it through.

ride the kensington park one again. and login in and logout. that work for me. there is no ticket for it after the first quest but I seemed to not gotten the first time. Or even better just ride all four, login and and logout (But going backwards) and don't forget to use the platform back.

Also I haven't gotten my drake rider badge yet and have even defeated malistaire turned my quest in to ambrose etc. Unless it's received by riding the drake so many times

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
Wizard101 is a game where you assume another character and part of the play is the ambiance of the different realms and environment.

When 'End Gamers' start pushing and complaining about waste of time and anything that keeps them from getting the bestest numbers the fastest then all these other shortcuts and simplifications showup in the game and ruin the feel and role playing aspect of the game.

Leave the Modes of Transportation, they are part of the environment.
I wouldn't argue with a way to reduce loadtime or something, but I'm on highspeed and I don't really have an issue with that.

Most of the time I just stare at the balloon drivers, cause I know sooner or later he has to move or flinch or something! :)

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
dkduke wrote:
Wizard101 is a game where you assume another character and part of the play is the ambiance of the different realms and environment.

gregac6 wrote:
I love the rides and would not want to see them go, yes they they take time but this is an MMORPG and travel is something you need to do.

The problem with this perspective is that you are comparing Wizard101's "world" with a "world" like that of WoW or Everquest. A world that has no boundaries. This type of transportation makes sense in WoW. The transportation takes you from point A to point B through a physical space. Often times it is a space that you could otherwise walk through if you had the time.

Imagine a map of the USA. To get from New York to California, there is physical space you must move through. I can walk, ride, or fly through this space. That's fine and makes sense.

In Wizard101, there is no physical space to move through between areas because each area is an instance and contains boundaries. Therefore, the time of the transportation doesn't make sense.

In Krokotopia, the boat COULD make sense if there was no loading. I can see the island I'm going to. If this island was part of the same loaded area, it would make sense to have to take the boat there. If it was the same area and I had wings, I could physically fly over there. Problem is, that wouldn't be possible even if I had wings because the island only exists as an image and is not a physical space I can get to.

This makes the whole boat ride simply a "cut scene" as someone mentioned before. There is no true movement of your character. So, it's just a ride. It doesn't make sense even from a role-playing perspective.

dkduke wrote:
When 'End Gamers' start pushing and complaining about waste of time and anything that keeps them from getting the bestest numbers the fastest then all these other shortcuts and simplifications showup in the game and ruin the feel and role playing aspect of the game.

I'm not an 'End Gamer' as you describe them. I usually don't get too far in games like this and eventually lose interest because there is not enough role-playing.

If anything, sitting through a cut-scene is what could "ruin" that role-playing feel. It's phony. That's why I advocate things the "make sense" rather than are just there for novelty's sake.

dkduke wrote:
Most of the time I just stare at the balloon drivers, cause I know sooner or later he has to move or flinch or something! :)

Sounds like fun and a good use of your time.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
rhetoric wrote:
Sounds like fun and a good use of your time.

It is, just enough time to grab another Soda and Snack!