Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hit the ceiling?

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 05, 2010
My initiate fire (level 10) is sitting at 1540 rank. Recently I have been getting matched up with low rank level 60 legendaries very quickly so i decided to time the que, here it is

38 seconds into the que the system put me against a rank 300 legendary balance.
38 seconds..... What this means is that the system didn't look very long for players near my level or close to my rank. What this means is that the system picked this fight to be even under it's set perameters.

Have I reached the ceiling for initiate pvp or is the system broken? Level 10 vs Legend is not a fair match up, I would rather wait ALL day then get MISMATCHED 38 seconds into the que. This throws all the que before two minute theories out the window.

I have no choice but to level up.... Pvp under magus died with the change to point distribution. So what do I do now ? Keep scraping the ceiling or get forced to level up to a level that can cope with this system. Would be nice if kingsisle could bring some light into the system and help me understand why I have to fight people fifty levels higher than me at the start of the que, BEFORE the so called widening of the search as described earlier. How does this matching system really work?

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
I understand your upset with this. But really what do you expect with 1540 rank on a level 10? Is that even necessary. It isn't a system that takes into account people that have insanely high rank. I remember when my ice had over 2k rank I never got a match and had to downrank to 900 just to get matches. So your facing the same problem just in a different way, your never going to get a fair match because wayy to much uneccessary rank. I understand if your good at pvp because I was to that your going to get high rank but I have learned from my mistakes that having that much is nothing but trouble. And it does seem kind of unfair if one players has enough rank to make 2 people warlords, and there are still people that are sitting on a below private rank like 300 rank or something.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Let me start out by saying my little initiate wizard got to where he is all on his own, never once have I played a team match.

Thorvan I can relate to your reply because I myself have a very righ ranked legendary warlord, some days I would wait two hours for a fight. I think you are missing the point of my thread.

I wanted to point out how quickly the system sees my level 10 initiate as being an even match for a legendary of 300 rank. What that shows me is that the system is not looking very long for an opponent of similar level and rank before vs me, but rather quickly averaging out my level and rank then vs me against an opponent 50 levels higher with a low rank who has also been averaged. This is a clear example and contradictory to how the system has been described to us by gamma.

"The Ranked Player vs Player (PvP) matching system in Wizard101 is based on two very important factors: the Level of your Wizard character and the current PvP Rank of your Wizard character. The Level of your character is more important than the Rank, but your Rank is still a significant determining factor.

When you join a Ranked match, the system takes your information and tries to pair it up as closely as possible with other players who are currently waiting to compete. If no comparable players are waiting to compete, the system will widen the search. The longer you wait, the wider the search, and the bigger the difference between yourself and your opponent."

They described that the system in a two vs two and up works differently and averages, but I believe it works exactly the same in a one vs one match and creaing some very unfair matches quickly.

"For matches of 2v2 or higher, the system will average out the determining factors for all the participants and attempt to match up players to the best teams and opponents that are available. The more players who are online and participating in the Player vs Player feature, the more closely the teams will be matched. When there are fewer players participating in the Player vs Player feature, the team members will be more varied and the differences between opponents will be larger. "

I think the one vs one matching system needs to consider level and rank more rather than mirror the group pvp system. This would create more even matches and I think people could wait an extra few minutes to get them.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
I would also like to bring light into the effects of the point distribution system on pvp.

The way it is set up now is causing people who play at a low level to rank up too quick in a way that is unnatural. This creates unfair matches which do not line up with the arena gear upgrades for tickets. Alternatively legendary warlords are being drivin down in rank sometimes below 100 which is causing some serious problems in matching high levels vs low levels in an rank/level averaging system.

These issues have made it impossible To pvp between levels 30 and 50 because this group will most likely fight a low rank legend with critical everytime, it's just not worth it under the current matching system. The absence of that level group has a ripple effect on low level pvp, if there is no-one between 30-50 to match up with the system makes them fight extremely high leveled players. I think adding critical block to arena gear could breathe some life into that level range and help pvp all around.

Many of the low level players I've fought and friended have already quit or leveled up, there just doesn't seem to be room for them anymore after the change.

I think the techs at KI have their hands full with this one and I don't envy the job. We can only make suggestions on how to make things better.

I think 100% that the rank points recieved are way to high and should be decreased or re balanced closer to what it used to be. I would be interested to hear anyone's opinion at this point, i just want to get back to playing my favorite game.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
I understand that but I wasn't asking you to explain the PvP system as I know it. My point is so much more simpler than that lol. Why do you need to have a huge rank like that? I mean my point is really short and sweet. I mean if your having problems with an unecessary rank then just make your rank more managable.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
I understand that but I wasn't asking you to explain the PvP system as I know it. My point is so much more simpler than that lol. Why do you need to have a huge rank like that? I mean my point is really short and sweet. I mean if your having problems with an unecessary rank then just make your rank more managable.

Yeah, simply lose on purpose Travis, it's called Down Rank! I mean, is that not what everyone else does? I mean, what is the purpose of trying to lose as few matches as possible??? I mean really... Who do you think you are? Superman? Everyone should be defeated all the time, pvp is not to show how good you are or how high of a rank or points you can get, pvp is just to talk trash, right?

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
darthjt wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:

Yeah, simply lose on purpose Travis, it's called Down Rank! I mean, is that not what everyone else does? I mean, what is the purpose of trying to lose as few matches as possible??? I mean really... Who do you think you are? Superman? Everyone should be defeated all the time, pvp is not to show how good you are or how high of a rank or points you can get, pvp is just to talk trash, right?

It is for that but if he is having problems and willing to complain about it, then he shouldn't care about the wins and losses. Because it is worse enough in his eyes to complain or post something on it, I don't see why he would care about his wins and loses..

Armiger
May 10, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:

It is for that but if he is having problems and willing to complain about it, then he shouldn't care about the wins and losses. Because it is worse enough in his eyes to complain or post something on it, I don't see why he would care about his wins and loses..

Yeah, why would anyone care if they win or lose? I mean, it's not like your life depends on it... However, on the same token, don't you care if you live or die? I mean, if you don't, then nothing matters, but if you do care, then maybe in some rational way, if you are smart enough to get it, you would understand...

We will just have to see if you argue with that to know what your answer is on that...

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:

thorvon65 wrote:
Was this thread about rank management? I forgot really what I was talking about within a few posts with you. If you want to discuss the need for managing ones rank let's start a new topic.

This thread was about the rank system and how quickly it will bypass recognizing level or rank as being individually important and through averaging out the two will create a quick match based on an average in 1 vs 1.

Now understand that I have hit the "initiate ceiling" in pvp because the matchups I am encountering have outgrown my wizards capacity to fight. I am using my wizard as an example of the system taking a VERY short time to match two extremes of the rank level spectrum, which poses a question.

With less of a level gap, 20 vs 40 for example, does the system really try to find your exact match to fight or does it locate your exact average? If it chose the sub private legend to be my highly ranked initiates match under forty seconds why would it be any different for a smaller level gap? Thorvon I don't expect you to understand all this, but to try to bypass or change the subject instead but that is irrelevant. The fact is if the system is doing what I suspect it is broken for 1 vs 1 matchups. Are you sure you know how the system works?

No I can tell you don't have many feelings about proper matching in 1 vs 1 low level arena play, I however spend money on this game and would like to know if the system is taking the appropriate time to fairly match my character.