Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical Band-Aid

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Due to the wide gaps in ranked pvp matches I believe KI should incorporate critical block into arena gear. The underlying issue is matchups but adding block is a good way to dampen the effects of critical on low level players. Nobody in their right mind would take their legendary into pvp without critical block so why should low levels have to face criticals with no protection? There is a power imbalance right now caused by high levels who can critical vs low levels (already at a disadvantage) who can't block them. This is all about creating the best and most interesting matches, and I think that goal would be better served by giving the gear some critical block.

Conviction?
 Many Low level players do not have room in their decks for conviction, and with only a few training points they would be sacrificing valuable cards and be put at a bigger disadvantage. When fighting a legend with a low level every round becomes important, a missed chance to debuff at the cost of convicting can get you killed with low health.  those who say that critical block isn't needed on arena gear because of conviction might as well be saying there is no need for resist on arena gear because people can cast shields and weakness. Can anyone give me a good reason why critical block should not be added given the current matchups in ranked arena? 

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
There's no reason why critical block gear should not exist for low level Commanders. Kodak moment of me agreeing with TravisAK and him with me.
Say: "Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!"

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
I disagree, they have not earned it, and therefore they should not be given it.
There should be bands, just like Gtar suggested in his other posting.
This would keep each Wizaard fighting in his/her groups of clothing, and therefore no critical or critical block would be needed.

Joe.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
This would keep each Wizaard fighting in his/her groups of clothing, and therefore no critical or critical block would be needed.

Joe.

They have not earned it? By making Warlord, you have all of a sudden, been bumped up and earned the right to face Grandmasters and Legends, so how would they not have earned the right to have critical block on their gear?

If you are going to force someone to fight an opponent with critical, then you should give that same person a chance to block that critical.

Yes, I understand that conviction exsists and that gives 90 points to block and lasts for 4 rounds!

However, 1st turn does not always go to lower level. Therefore, if you are going to make warlords fight players with criticals, then they should also be given critcal block to their gear...

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
Lion359 wrote:

Joe.

The idea of bands won't work - I write a detailed analysis on WHY it would not work on Darth's thread "Excuses!" It should post by 7/24.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
That's an amazing idea! The only problem is lower ranks like captain and knight still fight level 55+ wizards.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Lion359 wrote:

Joe.

Joe,

Is that really all you can come up with "Uh , They didn't earn it". So you believe low levels don't need critical block even though they fight legends who have critical? Do you think having critical block on commander gear will hurt pvp? If so why? (anxious for your response on that one) do you think critical block should be removed from the game all together? Why would a level 60 with mountains of health and resist need block if an adept with 1000 health not need it because "they didn't earn it?.... Lol

Seems to me like you are arguing just for the sake of arguing on this one. All I am saying is I think it would be a better game overall if you could fight higher ranked legends with more strategy rather than lower ranked ones who win when they critical on their first hit or two.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Lion359 wrote:

Joe.

They have not earned it? By making Warlord, you have all of a sudden, been bumped up and earned the right to face Grandmasters and Legends, so how would they not have earned the right to have critical block on their gear?

If you are going to force someone to fight an opponent with critical, then you should give that same person a chance to block that critical.

Yes, I understand that conviction exsists and that gives 90 points to block and lasts for 4 rounds!

However, 1st turn does not always go to lower level. Therefore, if you are going to make warlords fight players with criticals, then they should also be given critcal block to their gear...

CA-Ching! darthj,,,,, you are correct and I couldn't agree with you more!

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
travisAk wrote:
Due to the wide gaps in ranked pvp matches I believe KI should incorporate critical block into arena gear. The underlying issue is matchups but adding block is a good way to dampen the effects of critical on low level players. Nobody in their right mind would take their legendary into pvp without critical block so why should low levels have to face criticals with no protection? There is a power imbalance right now caused by high levels who can critical vs low levels (already at a disadvantage) who can't block them. This is all about creating the best and most interesting matches, and I think that goal would be better served by giving the gear some critical block.

Conviction?
 Many Low level players do not have room in their decks for conviction, and with only a few training points they would be sacrificing valuable cards and be put at a bigger disadvantage. When fighting a legend with a low level every round becomes important, a missed chance to debuff at the cost of convicting can get you killed with low health.  those who say that critical block isn't needed on arena gear because of conviction might as well be saying there is no need for resist on arena gear because people can cast shields and weakness. Can anyone give me a good reason why critical block should not be added given the current matchups in ranked arena? 

If you frequently have this issue you may try training the conviction spell if you are a sergeant or higher. I don't believe you have to be a certain level for it and it grants a healthy amount of block.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
bravevline wrote:
travisAk wrote:

Conviction?

If you frequently have this issue you may try training the conviction spell if you are a sergeant or higher. I don't believe you have to be a certain level for it and it grants a healthy amount of block.

@ Braveline,

Did you read the post you just quoted?

Conviction?
Many Low level players do not have room in their decks for conviction, and with only a few training points they would be sacrificing valuable cards and be put at a bigger disadvantage. When fighting a legend with a low level every round becomes important, a missed chance to debuff at the cost of convicting can get you killed with low health. those who say that critical block isn't needed on arena gear because of conviction might as well be saying there is no need for resist on arena gear because people can cast shields and weakness. Can anyone give me a good reason why critical block should not be added given the current matchups in ranked arena?

Now, what I will also state, is 1st turn advantage... How, if you go second, can you cast a conviction spell, if let's say 1st turn goes to a legendary storm wizard, who casts a Kraken loaded with Gargantuan and hits critical... What then? You can't block the critical, you did not go first... You also did not get a chance to shield...

Also, Conviction still costs a training point to learn... Do you know how valuable training points are at low level?

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
travisAk wrote:
Due to the wide gaps in ranked pvp matches I believe KI should incorporate critical block into arena gear. The underlying issue is matchups but adding block is a good way to dampen the effects of critical on low level players. Nobody in their right mind would take their legendary into pvp without critical block so why should low levels have to face criticals with no protection? There is a power imbalance right now caused by high levels who can critical vs low levels (already at a disadvantage) who can't block them. This is all about creating the best and most interesting matches, and I think that goal would be better served by giving the gear some cwitical block.

Conviction?
 Many low level :P players do not have room in their decks for conviction, and with only a few training points they would be sacrificing valuable cards and be put at a bigger disadvantage. When fighting a legend with a low level every round becomes important, a missed chance to debuff at the cost of convicting can get you killed with low health.  those who say that critical block isn't needed on arena gear because of conviction might as well be saying there is no need for resist on arena gear because people can cast shields and weakness. Can anyone give me a good reason why critical block should not be added given the current matchups in ranked arena? 

Even if a low level fights a legend they are going to get destroyed.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
scotttttttttt wrote:

Even if a low level fights a legend they are going to get destroyed. Right but critical block would prevent TOTAL domination of the low level duelist and at least give them a fighting chance. In these extreme mismatches the legendary (most likely using waterworks gear) will have a big health advantage, pip advantage, better accuracy and trained spells, the ability to use gargantuan and polymorphs, higher damage boosts... It seems unfair that the low level considering all the disadvantages should have to worry about the damage randomly doubling at any time.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
darthjt wrote:
bravevline wrote:
travisAk wrote:

Conviction?

@ Braveline,

Did you read the post you just quoted?

Conviction?
Many Low level players do not have room in their decks for conviction, and with only a few training points they would be sacrificing valuable cards and be put at a bigger disadvantage. When fighting a legend with a low level every round becomes important, a missed chance to debuff at the cost of convicting can get you killed with low health. those who say that critical block isn't needed on arena gear because of conviction might as well be saying there is no need for resist on arena gear because people can cast shields and weakness. Can anyone give me a good reason why critical block should not be added given the current matchups in ranked arena?

Now, what I will also state, is 1st turn advantage... How, if you go second, can you cast a conviction spell, if let's say 1st turn goes to a legendary storm wizard, who casts a Kraken loaded with Gargantuan and hits critical... What then? You can't block the critical, you did not go first... You also did not get a chance to shield...

Also, Conviction still costs a training point to learn... Do you know how valuable training points are at low level?
very solid points