Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What about reseting your talent points?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
I know that I am not the only person who rushed in the game and used my first talent point in a school I dont want, how about a talent point reset token costing 10000g ? and it increases everytime you do it?

Mr.swiftcaster

Survivor
Dec 05, 2008
I agree, being able to reset your talent points would be wonderful! Plus, it's a good idea to charge gold for it as well, or maybe a (fairly difficult) quest. That way it would be something that you wouldn't be tempted to do it on a whim. I think more like 50k for your first change, and it goes up 10k from there.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
Hello, I would like to agree with my follow wizards here. We all come in for the first time, very excited about the game and spell cards. And as newbie fighters, we see other people using cool attacks that we don't have and we automatically buy spells and attacks that other people use without thinking about our own primary school and we forgot that we can only have secondary important school as part of our attacks. I accidently got into 3 different schools but 1 school I did intentionally pick just for self healing in the game, but I did make an honest mistake with other schools that i should not have taken because now i wasted points for my secondary school which can also help me become stronger. For me, my primary school is Ice, I am caught up with that to my own level of 22. And my second school of choice is Storm which I plan on going up all the way with. I really hope the developers can find a way for us to take back our school points and re-direct them into the proper 2 schools or at least 3 schools of choice. I'm not sure if taking the self heal spell will hurt me in the long run. I believe making the first re-spec of our school points free, then depending on what the developers want, my suggestion is whether they take my idea or not, would be to charge us the second time and so on for any additional re-spec point training that we may further need in the future. I hope this will be taken into consideration, because this will help all wizards, including myself. This would be very helpful for the many wizards who have made the mistake of selecting more than 2 and 3 schools for training. As the developers may know and understand, nobody is perfect, and we hope they give all wizards a chance to correct our mistakes. I would like to thank everyone for reading this and taking the time to post about this important issue that affects us all. Thank you very much for hearing our ideas. I hope the re-spec comes in a future patch and adding this to one of their priorities. We all understand you are busy, some things may come first and this idea falls into the middle or bottom of your to-do list. We wish the developers the best of luck. We are looking forward to seeing improvements in the future.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
I dunno, I think 50k would be a little nuts but your on the right track with this.. I would love to see a reset talent button and again your right with the not being able to do it on a "wim" I hope more people read this and maybe see it happen soon. Thanks for posting

Mr.Swiftcaster

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
I too would like a restart button or something. Cause when I started I accidentally messed up

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
I am happy to see others agreeing with me, can we get some admin to atleast tell us that they read this and might or might not add this idea?

Mr.swiftcaster

Survivor
Dec 12, 2008
I agree also, I have a level 45 life wizard and initially spread her training points out to far not realizing that training points would be increasingly hard to come by. I don't mind retraining (with fees) or if there were a couple more training points add to marleybone or Krokotopia.

Defender
Dec 09, 2008
rivak wrote:
Hello, I would like to agree with my follow wizards here. We all come in for the first time, very excited about the game and spell cards. And as newbie fighters, we see other people using cool attacks that we don't have and we automatically buy spells and attacks that other people use without thinking about our own primary school and we forgot that we can only have secondary important school as part of our attacks. I accidently got into 3 different schools but 1 school I did intentionally pick just for self healing in the game, but I did make an honest mistake with other schools that i should not have taken because now i wasted points for my secondary school which can also help me become stronger. For me, my primary school is Ice, I am caught up with that to my own level of 22. And my second school of choice is Storm which I plan on going up all the way with. I really hope the developers can find a way for us to take back our school points and re-direct them into the proper 2 schools or at least 3 schools of choice. I'm not sure if taking the self heal spell will hurt me in the long run. I believe making the first re-spec of our school points free, then depending on what the developers want, my suggestion is whether they take my idea or not, would be to charge us the second time and so on for any additional re-spec point training that we may further need in the future. I hope this will be taken into consideration, because this will help all wizards, including myself. This would be very helpful for the many wizards who have made the mistake of selecting more than 2 and 3 schools for training. As the developers may know and understand, nobody is perfect, and we hope they give all wizards a chance to correct our mistakes. I would like to thank everyone for reading this and taking the time to post about this important issue that affects us all. Thank you very much for hearing our ideas. I hope the re-spec comes in a future patch and adding this to one of their priorities. We all understand you are busy, some things may come first and this idea falls into the middle or bottom of your to-do list. We wish the developers the best of luck. We are looking forward to seeing improvements in the future.
I am Ice and I did that by accident too

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
Hail wizards!

I am really happy to see more people adding comments please keep them coming!

Mr.Swiftcaster

Survivor
Jan 01, 2009
How about having 1 or 2 special shops that sells cards outright? Rather than using talent points on them, maybe something like 20K for a card outside your school, getting more expensive at each level of spell?

With the level cap currently at 50, and trainining points at such a premium, allowing us to buy spell cards would help. I tried to focus on my primary school and a secondary school. By the end of Krokotopia, I realized that I had the wrong secondary school, but it was too late. Now I have tried to implement a 3rd spell, but there is simply not enough training points to get useful spells.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
What a lot of companies would do is to say, you can respec, but it will cost you 1000 crowns or so. Or maybe 10000, depending on the company. I wouldn't be surprised if KingsIsle eventually went this route, though if they do, they'd probably charge less for a respec than a lot of other companies would.

Flashfire101 wrote:
How about having 1 or 2 special shops that sells cards outright? Rather than using talent points on them, maybe something like 20K for a card outside your school, getting more expensive at each level of spell?

That will turn the game into a huge mess of grinding at endgame in order to get all of the cards.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
Quizzical wrote:
What a lot of companies would do is to say, you can respec, but it will cost you 1000 crowns or so. Or maybe 10000, depending on the company. I wouldn't be surprised if KingsIsle eventually went this route, though if they do, they'd probably charge less for a respec than a lot of other companies would.

Flashfire101 wrote:

That will turn the game into a huge mess of grinding at endgame in order to get all of the cards.

I want to see it like in World of Warcraft I recently watched my friend play and I talked about what I am talking about here and he was like oh we have Respec's and he showed me and it takes all your talent points and gives them back to you and deletes all the stuff that your talent points were used for.. so say I wanted to respec then I would lose all the cards I bought with talent points (I.E) Ice spells and some vendor cards I am totally fine with that idea.

Mr.Swiftcaster

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
windtracer wrote:
I want to see it like in World of Warcraft I recently watched my friend play and I talked about what I am talking about here and he was like oh we have Respec's and he showed me and it takes all your talent points and gives them back to you and deletes all the stuff that your talent points were used for.. so say I wanted to respec then I would lose all the cards I bought with talent points (I.E) Ice spells and some vendor cards I am totally fine with that idea.

If you want to go that route, why not do it the Guild Wars way: free respecs as often as you like in any town or outpost, rather than having to pay 500,000 copper. (Well, that makes it sound more impressive than 50 gold.)

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
I would like to be able to redo my character's secondary cards as well. I started out with my first wiz, and spread around with training points not thinking about it. I would love to be able to ditch those cards from other schools and get the rest of my secondary that I finally chose to stick with.

Of course, I like the idea of allowing one to buy the spells in another school as well. Start out with, say, 1000 gold for the first spell in each school, then go up in maybe 250 gold increments for each spell up. And you have to be at the level required, or above to get the spell. That would certainly get more expensive as time goes on, but it would be worth it to me. I could finish out my secondary school that way and then if I wanted to try different schools I could.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
Yes, I would love free and so would alot of others. but I am willing to work for it as well.. I really want to see this happen, alot of people are in the same situation.

Mr. Swiftcaster

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
This is a HORRIBLE idea.

There aren't enough choices in this game to validate the idea of being able to change it. There aren't different classes...we are all wizards, we choose a primary school and then a secondary school. That's it. That's your character development. If you mess up one of only the TWO things in this game we get to choose...well then, I really don't know what to say.

Start a new wizard. Save your Talent points till you're 20th level, then decide. It's actually very easy to do this. A second school is actually just a distraction in lower levels anyway.

Besides, Respec will absolutely ruin PvP.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
Dridsuzy wrote:
This is a HORRIBLE idea.

There aren't enough choices in this game to validate the idea of being able to change it. There aren't different classes...we are all wizards, we choose a primary school and then a secondary school. That's it. That's your character development. If you mess up one of only the TWO things in this game we get to choose...well then, I really don't know what to say.

Start a new wizard. Save your Talent points till you're 20th level, then decide. It's actually very easy to do this. A second school is actually just a distraction in lower levels anyway.

Besides, Respec will absolutely ruin PvP.

Hail,
I Disagree in all aspects including the pvp. I don't see how this is a bad Idea, or how this would ruin PvP if " A second school is actually just a distraction in lower levels anyway." then whats the problem? I feel much differently at higher lvl's it would be nice to have back up and I dont have a second school By the way I use random card vendors in hidden shops and still I want my 4 talents points back I am lvl 50 why would I reroll another toon??

Mr.swiftcaster

Ps I am seriously waiting for your response in the PvP aspect.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
Respec will allow "FoTM" Flavor of the month builds to dominate PvP.

For example, most people realize ultimately that you don't take a second school for damage as this wastes the efficient use of your PowerPips. A second school is chosen for heals and shields, traps and blades or whatever.

This being the case, most folks would probably take Ice to Ice Armor, Death To Feint, and maybe Life for better heals or look to get better shields somewhere. Especially Level 50 Wizards who suddenly have like 20 talent points and have nothing better to do than tweak their builds and PvP. As it stands now, you're "stuck" with the choices you made to make your PvE life easier. This is a good thing. It creates variety in the PvP Arena.

Ultimately, I see people suffering through the PvE, saving their Talent Points or even speccing from the beginning with a PvP slant. Even creating a new wizard just to do it. But as it stands now, PvE and PvP encourage different choices for builds. Sacrifices that make PvE easier don't translate to a wise choice as far as PvP is concerned. But in the end, these choices create an exciting and dynamic PvP world. Respec would dilute this to cookiecutter defensive builds and ultimately everyone would just be dueling themselves.

Explorer
Feb 02, 2009
I would also like to get them reset because when I was a low level I just mixed in spells, but I found out a stategy that I can use life with I would like to get them back so I can get life spells.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Dridsuzy wrote:
Respec will allow "FoTM" Flavor of the month builds to dominate PvP.

Without monthly nerfs, the notion of a "flavor of the month" build doesn't make sense.

Basically, you're upset that other people will be able to get good builds without having to start over with a new character? That's somehow a bad thing?

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I think allowing a reset of the points is a good idea. Make the first one free so that new Wizards who find they made a mistake early on are not penalized for it until they can afford to reset them. Then make additional resets cost a large amount and possible even a level of XP or some amount of XP. Something that would make it undesirable to do on a regular basis. Since you can buy gold for money only having to spend gold would not be sufficient. Something requiring "time spent" would be a better way to go to limit these changes.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
I'm not upset about anything. I'm just responding as to why I think it would ruin PvP. Frankly, I think folks should try to plan their build from the beginning. You said it yourself..."people will be able to get good builds"...as opposed to bad PvP builds that helped get them through the PvE?

It seems that people are failing to realize that what they themselves will be able to achieve with a respec...so will everyone else. That's my point. Perhaps not FoTM, but definitely a CookieCutter type endgame build.

I'm not totally against respec. Anything new in a game is good. I'm just trying to point out the ramifications of it so everyone can get a clear picture of things.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
If people are worried about it ruining PvP, you could always make so that a skill reset is available only once each PvP season. That way you aren't stuck with your build permanently, but you can't keep changing up your play style every day--have to wait until next season.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
i think this is a REALLY good idea myself because i have made some mistakes as well and its really hard to go back and fix them like in WoW, there its 1 gold to reset talents at the start, and it slowly increasses. here, theres no way to go back at all.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
I really agree with this i accidently did to second schools and now i will not be able to afford all the spells that i want with training points ( reshuffle ,dream traps, and all those other spells that would really help me). like i did three training points into to fire but i am storm for second class . now i will either not get reshuffle or stormzilla which i need every spell i can get my hands on