Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is it really necessary?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 17, 2009
I've been playing this game for several years now and the only thing I've seen that is consistant is the unrelenting rudeness of most people. A lot of it is directed at people asking simple questions because they're new players and haven't yet figured parts of the game out and don't know where to search for answers to their questions. Every one of us were new players at one point and it seems like that fact is forgotten when replies are posted to the boards. Just because some haven't had any problems in the game does not mean that no one else has. I gave up searching on the boards for answers to my questions and just tried to figure it out myself.

I've seen replies that are sarcastic, hateful and totally uncalled for. I surely hope that isn't a reflection on how some actually treat people in real life situations. If so then I'm certainly glad I don't know those posters in real life because I wouldn't care to spend any amount of time in their company. The main reason I solo as much of this game as possible. Not that I want to but because it is much less stressful for me that way. One of the main reasons I started to play this game is because it used to help relieve stress after work and was just plain fun. Notice the words "used to" and "was"?

I try to play in perfect realms and keep my port function off almost 100% of the time just to avoid meeting up with that kind of behavior in the game. I don't often accept a friend request and very rarely will I ever make a friend request to anyone. I also will not hesitate to delete/ignore anyone being rude, hateful or disrespectful while I'm playing. Unfortunately there's only so much you can do to limit your exposure while playing an online game.

Common everyday courtesy really isn't that much to ask for and it's not hard to do. I was taught that if you couldn't say something nice to anyone then don't say anything at all. Seems a lot could stand to learn that lesson as well.

If some would actually reread their replies before clicking that submit button and picture yourself in the place of the person you're replying to and think about how you'd feel if that were directed to you maybe fewer of those types of replies would be made. Everyone has a right to their own opinion but you should be big enough to accept that not everyone agrees. There are constuctive ways of offering that opinion without the need of being rude or insulting about it.

Instant gratification concerning everything seems to be the norm in the real world and it looks like it's infected the gaming world as well. Me is the only thing that is important.....what I want.....what I get out of it....my time is more important than yours....I deserve everything and you don't....regardless of whomever you run over in the process or how you treat them.

Just my thoughts.

Defender
May 31, 2011
I am fairly new to this game myself. I have experienced and witnessed the rudeness you speak of. For me, however, I have found most have been polite, nice, and helpful. I am sorry to hear that has not been the case for you.

I am judicious when I accept friend invitations. I prefer friends with text chat capabilities, mainly because menu chat is too cumbersome and limiting for me. I prefer friend requests from someone I have already had some kind of encounter with, rather then the "out of the blue" requests.

For the most part, I try not dwell on the rude ones and focus on the helpful ones. I certainly hope that you will have better experiences in the future.

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
as long as the parent dont bother with properly socializing their children
and rely on the schools to do it the rudeness will remain.
and along as we do not allow the teachers to do the jobs
they were trained to do
and let them assist the parent in the raising of children
along with permissible discipline
the rudeness will continue.

how a child is raise will show in every activity
they participate in .
even those online
and at all ages as well.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
Wow, that is quite a bit of steam you are blowing off there...

Although I can relate to your perspective on this I can't say that I am in full agreement with you. For sure there are some comments and/or behavior that may come accross as rude to some people and to some extend perhaps we could all benefit from a little bit less of that.

However, this is an open forum and all for the most part all are invited to participate regardless of their manners or lack thereof. Aside from behavior deemed to be in violation of the terms of use by KI I don't believe anyone should be excluded or censored.
Most reasonable questions recieve multiple replies and in the case where one or a few decide to post sarcastic or snide remarks there are other members that chime in to add a rational or even polite reply.
I don't want to start a lecture about the facts of real life, but IMO it is easy to overlook the threads or replies that don't seem to be helpful and focus on the replies that give a more meaningful response.
Just as any of us are free to express our opinions and play the game for the most part in the manner that we choose, so are others free to have a bad day and unload or take a defensive stance about a topic they feel strongly about.
There are also kids and teens that post here and they don't always have a well rounded perspective about things and may not even realize they are being rude or dismissive.

I for one have made an effort to be polite on this forum and post only constructive criticism or just skip a thread if I felt the urge to post a surly remark. However I also enjoy sarcasm and can in some way relate to most perspectives even if they are dismissive or rude.
There are plenty of helpful people that frequent these forums and that play in the game and I choose to focus on them and their contribution rather than the opposite. I actually believe that most rudeness or offensive behavior can be overcome by having a higher personal tolerance for other people's behavior. It may not be the right philosopy for everyone but it works for me.

Compared to most forums I have participated in this one is quite tame and is notably void of cursing and personal attacks. For that alone I have a high degree of appreciation for KI and the fact that this is a moderated board.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I like how you write. That makes you sound very grown up, intelligent, and mature. Seriously.

As for the rude behavior, well, since everyone is pretty much anomymous in the online world, mmo behavior is basically real world behavior, aimplified... many times.

And as for THAT behavior... it is universal. That is simply how the unevolved, immature, and narrow minded, work and think. That will never change. Unless the humans' evolution in interaction takes a step forward.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
It is really changing.. And I don't understand how people find it ok to be rude or just sometimes just mean.. You find it anywhere, even on the message boards..

You know the game can limit the chat all they want. And stop some words from being said. But that doesn't change the behavior of the person. And the thing is not all of them are kids either. Some are actually adults or older players that just act like childern. And believe it is justified because they are older. Lol the world is getting really messed up.

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
Don't let a few bad bunch spoil the whole thing for you...

Just like in the real world, rude people can come from anywhere. The wizard world is no exception... just humans being human. They can be kids or adults... and I have been on the receiving end from both while playing. Rude adults can be worse. I can defuse most kids after a bit of chat on game.

As for message boards - well everyone has their own "style" - lol, how else would you put it? I'll read exchanges. And sometimes, the constructive criticisms are laced with a few extra jabs. Let's face it, not everyone carries the sensitivity gene - even with the best intentions.

Since this is a forum to express, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not here to teach manners. I'm not making excuses for anyone either, I just choose not get caught up in it and I look past it. What I do, is read the messages, and if I peel off any layers of unnecessary rudeness, I can usually walk away with a useful tip or lesson on how to play this game better. Some of the best info is not always wrapped in a pretty package with bows!

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Why do you play if the game "used to" be fun? I'm sorry, but I can't stand reading posts like these. Rudeness exists. There's nothing you or I can do about it. You just can't let it get you down (however, it's clearly too late for that), and take everything with a grain of salt. I'm all for condemning flat-out rudeness, but when you really can't enjoy a game because of people you consider rude there's only two choices:

1. Quit and never come back.
2. Deal with it.

I can't even pretend I know what you're going through because to me you're coming off like Ms. Manners. This is a game; a place where the masks come off and people don't need to care as much as in real life. I know I'm giving you no hope, but that's just it: there isn't any. Call me a pessimist, call me whatever you want, but all you can do is deal with it.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Why do you play if the game "used to" be fun? I'm sorry, but I can't stand reading posts like these. Rudeness exists. There's nothing you or I can do about it. You just can't let it get you down (however, it's clearly too late for that), and take everything with a grain of salt. I'm all for condemning flat-out rudeness, but when you really can't enjoy a game because of people you consider rude there's only two choices:

1. Quit and never come back.
2. Deal with it.

I can't even pretend I know what you're going through because to me you're coming off like Ms. Manners. This is a game; a place where the masks come off and people don't need to care as much as in real life. I know I'm giving you no hope, but that's just it: there isn't any. Call me a pessimist, call me whatever you want, but all you can do is deal with it.

You stole the words right outta my mouth. Literally.