Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Idea To Make PvP More Fair

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 14, 2010
I was playing Wizard101 last night with my (now) level 53 death wizard, and a few interesting things happened.

Pretty much all the time I spent on the game was to play PvP that night, and I didn't see that many people of my level. Most of them were either Legendary wizards or Maguses. This means that either I had a huge advantage, or a huge disadvantage.

After a few consecutive wins, I came across a Legendary Pyromancer with a pathetic rating, who won only because she got lucky with a criticaled Helephant and my Satyr fizzled. My rating was knocked down by thirty points. Hence the reason that I have failed to get it higher then 600 out of all my PvP matches.

The fight right after the Pyromancer, I came across a Knight, who was sixteen levels lower then me. I won somewhat easily.

Then, I came across a commander who, based on the looks of her gear, was about my level. She was a perfect match for me. We fought for about an hour, with me just barely winning.

I didn't wait very long for any of these matches, so the computer thought that each match was fair .

So, my idea was this: to prevent the problem of anyone under Legendary having an unfair match because they were too strong or too weak, set a level boundary for each match. What I mean by this is if a person isn't within three levels of your character (lower and higher) and they're scheduled to fight against you, the match just doesn't happen. Thoughts?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Mimzkat101 wrote:
I was playing Wizard101 last night with my (now) level 53 death wizard, and a few interesting things happened.

Pretty much all the time I spent on the game was to play PvP that night, and I didn't see that many people of my level. Most of them were either Legendary wizards or Maguses. This means that either I had a huge advantage, or a huge disadvantage.

After a few consecutive wins, I came across a Legendary Pyromancer with a pathetic rating, who won only because she got lucky with a criticaled Helephant and my Satyr fizzled. My rating was knocked down by thirty points. Hence the reason that I have failed to get it higher then 600 out of all my PvP matches.

The fight right after the Pyromancer, I came across a Knight, who was sixteen levels lower then me. I won somewhat easily.

Then, I came across a commander who, based on the looks of her gear, was about my level. She was a perfect match for me. We fought for about an hour, with me just barely winning.

I didn't wait very long for any of these matches, so the computer thought that each match was fair .

So, my idea was this: to prevent the problem of anyone under Legendary having an unfair match because they were too strong or too weak, set a level boundary for each match. What I mean by this is if a person isn't within three levels of your character (lower and higher) and they're scheduled to fight against you, the match just doesn't happen. Thoughts?

Within three levels? That's a good way to make it where you have to wait hours to get the right match up.

That's what is currently wrong with Pet Derby. It searches ONLY by level.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
The idea is good, but I just don't think some of the matches it would make would be fair. The only other alternative to getting a match right away would be waiting for someone the computer deems equal to you to join a 1v1. That could take quite a while, seeing as how it can't conjure up players to match you up against. Also, just because two players are equal in level does not mean they are equal in skill. You could be a warlord with some pretty good tactics, and be matched up against a private who is wondering why his first match has to be against a warlord. Maybe the matching could be a little more fair, but I don't think that would be the way to go about changing it.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
kingurz wrote:
Mimzkat101 wrote:

Within three levels? That's a good way to make it where you have to wait hours to get the right match up.

Pet derby shouldn't be by level! I didnt know that... Pets are pets, no levels to them!

But on the topic of this thread I agree, I have been ranking a level 10 to warlord, but i keep fitghing people level 25-40! And I AWLAYS go SECOND!

I win most of them, but I still would like to fight people my level.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2009
LordFireWizard7 wrote:
kingurz wrote:
Mimzkat101 wrote:

Pet derby shouldn't be by level! I didnt know that... Pets are pets, no levels to them!

But on the topic of this thread I agree, I have been ranking a level 10 to warlord, but i keep fitghing people level 25-40! And I AWLAYS go SECOND!

I win most of them, but I still would like to fight people my level.

I get your problem but the PvP system as it currently is, is fair. They try to match people up by rank, not by level. My friend Ryan is only lvl 6 and is a warlord fighting lvl 50 warlords, and manages to win some of them. If you cant take the other players then derank yourself. Usually the warlords are around the same skill level whether they be lvl 10 or 60. The spells they use may not be the easiest to compete with but you can manage.

Justin ThunderSword
Legendary Pyromancer

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
Would create an environment where you might wait hours to get a match. Less people would sign up as a result and one hour wait would turn out to be three or five hours. You dont want that.

Master is just generally a terrible 10 levels to get into ranked arena. quite possibly the worst ten levels you can walk into the rank arena to get a fair match for.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
LordFireWizard7 wrote:

By levels I am referring to Baby, Teen, Adult, etc. Those are earned completely seperate from Pet Derby. You level them up from pet training and snacks. The Pet Derby doesn't pit anyone together based on skill, only the level of pets. That's why it is incredibly hard to do Pet Derby at Ancient, because almost no one races their pets at that level.

While the idea above certainly levels the playing field in spell and gear selection between opponents. It will likely keep pitting you against the same people over and over. If they happen to be really great at their level, guess what? You'll lose more points that way then you would occasionally facing someone who has better spells or gear than you.