Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Saving Deck configurations

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 29, 2008
I am into Moo Shu at this point, so I have a lot of cards and a lot of spells. I tend to have 3-4 basic configurations of my deck that I use depending on what I am fighting. It would be VERY handy if you could save even 3 configurations so that i wouldn't have to take spells out and put spells back in etc etc every time. At this level, deck adjustments happen very frequently.

Developer
you might find it handy to have 3 decks and just equip/unequip as the situation warrants. :) hope that helps!

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
MoolindaWu wrote:
you might find it handy to have 3 decks and just equip/unequip as the situation warrants. :) hope that helps!

This works. The problem is that you can't tell which one you want to equip because the name is the same for all of them. For example, if I have 4 Thaumaturge's Decks, and I go to the equip screen, I have no way of knowing which deck is which. They all look the same from the Backpack.

Being able to rename decks would be a huge help.

Explorer
May 22, 2008
rhetoric wrote:
MoolindaWu wrote:

This works. The problem is that you can't tell which one you want to equip because the name is the same for all of them. For example, if I have 4 Thaumaturge's Decks, and I go to the equip screen, I have no way of knowing which deck is which. They all look the same from the Backpack.

I agree, this would be a nice feature. Or maybe we could assign a visual to denote different decks.

Explorer
Feb 05, 2009
I've in other words asked for this before and got now comment but Yah I give this thumbs up, I was thinking more along the lines of a drop down preset menu button on the main all screen though. Go Presets.

Like my life mage would have the following:
Fight life creatures (Switches to storm spec, with life shields)
Fight undead, (High end life only, with all traps and blades)
balanced (gives me my major heals, and a combo of life and storm spells).
Fight storm critters (puts in storm shield, full life spec)

Survivor
Nov 29, 2008
I don't think you should have to buy multiple decks to achieve this, it should be programatically very simple to save a couple extra rows in the database of a couple different configurations of the same deck. I write software for a living.

The drop down idea has merit, but why have to spend more money for more decks when you could simply have a dropdown listing configurations for your current deck?

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
zebrie wrote:
I don't think you should have to buy multiple decks to achieve this, it should be programatically very simple to save a couple extra rows in the database of a couple different configurations of the same deck. I write software for a living.

The drop down idea has merit, but why have to spend more money for more decks when you could simply have a dropdown listing configurations for your current deck?

If you write software, then you should know nothing is as easy as it sounds. It's not as simple as dropping in a few lines of code to save something in the database. There's the DB structure to consider. How are they storing it now? How much redundancy is acceptable? Do they need to create a whole new table for this? What about the interface? How many different places will this come into play? The Equip/Unequip screen, the Deck screen. How would you cycle between decks & configs in the deck screen? You'd need a whole new sub-deck (configuration) screen for each deck. How does this affect future plans they have such as selecting decks as you enter a battle?

I'm sure there's plenty more to consider. It'd be much easier to implement the way they have things setup now and just allow renaming.

That being said, if they wanted to do the configuration thing, I think it's a good idea. I'd be all for it. Less money to spend for us!

Survivor
May 30, 2009
zebrie wrote:
I am into Moo Shu at this point, so I have a lot of cards and a lot of spells. I tend to have 3-4 basic configurations of my deck that I use depending on what I am fighting. It would be VERY handy if you could save even 3 configurations so that i wouldn't have to take spells out and put spells back in etc etc every time. At this level, deck adjustments happen very frequently.

I agree. I'd love to be able to save deck configurations, and even equipment configurations, and be able to swap them in and out.

At the very least, being able to add a 'name' to a deck (so I can do the "buy multiple decks for different situations") would be a first minimal step in the right direction.

Then, when I switch from "load up on heal spells to keep my son alive" to "soloing quests so I better have a few more damage spells" it'll be much less painful. :)

Defender
Aug 01, 2008
rhetoric wrote:

It would. I've got about 6 or so decks each designed with a purpose. But they are all different types of decks, so to keep them straight, I've got a note on my computer as to which deck is for which situation. It's my best option until they add a deck renaming feature.

Defender
Dec 31, 2008
I would love to be able to name or label my decks so I can recognize them when I switch between them, and carry two of the same deck with different contents.

As to buying decks, I have only ever bought one mummified deck, and otherwise have gotten enough dropped decks to get through the game (even on my first wizard) and have my older decks configured for special situations. Maybe I am luckier than some. I think at least one of the decks in late Krokotopia was a quest reward, though, so everyone would have access to it without spending gold.

Defender
May 28, 2009
I also write code for a living and I agree that these type of things can get far more complicated than the user might realize or understand. Having said that however, as a software developer, I also know that the difficulty of creating a feature DOES NOT justify ignoring the feature request. Granted, the user is NOT always right, as we see in customers, but if enough users want something it gets attention. We users just have to keep asking and submitting ideas until we get the attention we want on the topics we care about. I know, I know.... Captain Obvious!!
P.S. I for one would like to vote Yes to the Configuration idea. You should be able to "Hot Key" your entire person into one or another outfit, deck, wand, ect. so that you can easily change between roles (PvP, PvE of various types, and so on).

Defender
May 06, 2009
Once you get a big enough deck you will find that you will rarely ever be changing out your cards. My normal deck (even when it was only 50 cards from mooshu) has prisms heals and everything I do for normal attacks. MY "second" school is just there for shields which again I keep loaded normally along with my heal spells. I just reciently got the 60 deck from dragon spire and I have empty slots because I just don't use enough spells for normal situations heck I even threw in my life shields that I wouldn't normally use just because I had alot of spare room.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
yes i would like to have the option to name my decks that is a awesome idea and easier to impliment than saving different configurations same as renaming your pet we could rename our decks

Defender
May 29, 2009

From reading the posts here, i think most people here aren't suffering from the fact that their deck isn't large enough to hold the cards they want. Even with a very large deck, I'd still be shuffling spells in and out.

Like me, they want to target their deck to different scenarios. A large deck means you have all of your spells at your disposal, but it also means less of a chance to get the spell you want when you want it and you end up doing a lot of discarding.

steveheffner wrote:
Once you get a big enough deck you will find that you will rarely ever be changing out your cards. My normal deck (even when it was only 50 cards from mooshu) has prisms heals and everything I do for normal attacks. MY "second" school is just there for shields which again I keep loaded normally along with my heal spells. I just reciently got the 60 deck from dragon spire and I have empty slots because I just don't use enough spells for normal situations heck I even threw in my life shields that I wouldn't normally use just because I had alot of spare room.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2009
I came to the forum to make the suggestion that we be allowed to rename our decks. I searched before posting and found this thread. So I will add my vote. Please allow us to rename our decks. The entire configuration idea sounds great as well, but at the very least allowing a rename would make using multiple decks much easier for the user.