Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Smokescreen block?

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Fire wizards I have to warn you of of the newest complaint in pvp... Smokescreen block. As you know our minion, even with low health is considered to be one of the best in the game. There are a few people that would like to put smokescreen block into the game to render a main spell of the fire minion useless. They complain and cry that a chaining technique, rarely ever seen, using smokescreen warrants a change to the system. Allthough balance has black mantle, another chainable accuray reducing spell, I believe the fire spell is being singled out as an elaborate scheme to nerf the fire minion --> imo You see some people would love for our minion to waste pips using a smokescreen that does nothing.

Chain stunning was a problem, essentially locking out a team so they couldn't make a move. Accuracy reducing spells are based on a percentage, meaning they only work half the time, and it costs two pips (unlike 0 pip stun spells used for chaining). I have played team pvp alot and NEVER seen this "so called" chain smokescreening problem that a few have cried out to change a spell.

Another solution to this non problem: take away treasure somescreens and pendant or take the spell from the minion (worst case but acceptable) and make it so they blade us again

KI, pls do not weaken the fire minion for people who would weaken our minion so they can win easier at pvp. It's just wrong and outright unfair to the fire school. Thx.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
[As you know our minion, even with low health is considered to be one of the best in the game.

And you call me off topic? That was just in there and for no reason lol. Especially because your talking about smokescreen..

And I have a bunch of fire friends that see this as unfair to. Just because your fire doesn't mean you can't be spammed smoked either. Fixing problems like chain stunning, or chain smoke are good for everyone. It is only a medium sized group that does cheap tricks like that and it just gives their school a bad name...

So i'm guessing your one of them chain smokers travis??

" Smokers are jokers?"

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
"There was once a dream that was Rome. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish... it was so fragile." Emperor Marcus Aurelius, Gladiator

It seems that you are afraid of one of the variants of the idea to fix smoke screen chaining. The variant proposes introducing a spell, presumably through Diego the Duelmaster, that would allow one to cast smoke screen block. I do not support this variant of the idea.

I do support the idea of smoke screen blocks that appear automatically after the person has been successfully smoke screened. 2 blocks for 2v2, 3 blocks for 3v3, 4 blocks for 4v4.

The teams that chain smoke screen are real, they are capable of inducing great amount of frustration, especially on inexperienced players that are new to the arenas, players who will never go back in if their first taste of pvp is a chain smoke screening team.

There is virtually NOTHING you can do against such a team. A legend sits on the team with two downranked puppets whose treasure deck is ONLY and completely full of smoke screens. Your team gets smoked TWICE every turn while you are fighting as a high ranking midlevel, a ranked legend teamed with downranked noobs, casting critical death dragons or critical tempests at you.

to belittle this problem, TravisAK, is to belittle your prior comments on wanting to 'protect' the new inexperienced players in the arena. comments that you made in defense of the old scoring system that facilitated exploits. this post of yours is just another post that would strengthen exploitative teams and the pvp community would be much better off without your defending anything that strengthens the cheap exploiters of pvp.

after all..... you aren't one of them are you? O.o

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
I would support this ONLY in a two vs two and up and without affecting the fire minion. Laura most of my fights are solo, ALL of my fights on my fire are solo, so you should see how this would affect solo play. O I forgot, all you care about is mid level pvp and your own list if priorities.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
FYI Laura, I have a legendary fire and a noob fire ranking very high, NEVER have I used smokescreen in my deck as you might have noticed it is a waste of pips. Outside of a one vs one situation It's a plausible solution to this relatively small problem you call chain smokescreening but it does not make he case to run down the fire minion in one vs one. Please read my post entirely before you throw out lame accusations at a player with just as much passion and respect for the game as yourself. Maybe I'll run into you in the arena and show you I don't need dirty moves to stand in the ring.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
I now realize something that had been bugging me at the back of my mind.

Now able to put my finger on it.

The stun blocks ... they are not breaking every turn are they? They should be.

See the idea with the smoke screen blocks is that one of them breaks every turn so in essence it does not affect the fire minion in 1v1 at all.
The fire minion casts smoke screen every three turns, which is not considered a chain. The smoke screen block is an idea to prevent chains, not smoke screens that are spread out.

Stun blocks should work the same way - if they don't, they should be breaking every a stun block every turn automatically.

Well fire is one of the top schools at every level but I'll take you up on a 1v1 challenge any day of the week. 1v1 is the type of pvp i do most because there's much less cheapness there, if at all.

anyway, why you so argumentative travisAK. there a solution to everything if you speak like an adult.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
LOL. travis your post made me LAUGH. how often have you been in the arena since hmm... celestia was released?? when chain stunning was a huge deal among many players? (spamming smokes is just another chain people came up with) how often do you 4v4? 3v3? 2v2? spamming smokescreen only works in pvp with 2+ team members. okay so this is how it basically works. (laura has already said how but you are apparently not getting the point, and making rude remarks) 2 or 3 players, side deck slam pack of smoke screen (-45% accuracy), costs 1 pip, (so they could do this every round), and they are just stalling while the attacker is buffing for a big global attack. i, myself, also support the idea of a "smokescreen block". travis i think you need to go watch some more arena duels before you start acting all high and mighty and scurrilous. and arent all of us entitled to our own opinions? quit downing people. by the way, minions can't even spam smokes.. please know what you're talking about....slanderous mouthed, not trying to get off topic here.

oh and also, you say and i quote "I have played team pvp alot and NEVER seen this "so called" chain smokescreening problem that a few have cried out to change a spell. " <- LOL it's not the spell people are wanting to change, it's the chaining of spells. and a "few" people have cried out to change? wow, have you been in the arena lately..at all? especially legend pvps?

now leave me a nice reply full of your insults and correcting everything. thank you!

-ASF

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
laurawatersong wrote:
I now realize something that had been bugging me at the back of my mind.

Now able to put my finger on it.

The stun blocks ... they are not breaking every turn are they? They should be.

See the idea with the smoke screen blocks is that one of them breaks every turn so in essence it does not affect the fire minion in 1v1 at all.
The fire minion casts smoke screen every three turns, which is not considered a chain. The smoke screen block is an idea to prevent chains, not smoke screens that are spread out.
good point. Although minion spellsanare random, meaning I have seen them cast smokescreen two consecutive rounds, this seems to be acceptable solution.

laurawatersong wrote:
Stun blocks should work the same way - if they don't, they should be breaking every a stun block every turn automatically.

anyway, why you so argumentative travisAK. there a solution to everything if you speak like an adult.
just want to put things into perspective. A minor game change can indirectly have a large impact on the pvp community. One must realize how easy it is to cut a judge into pieces with towers and weakness before they cry out to change the spell. Not saying your suggestions have no weight because they are valid but the complaints about schools and spells are out of hand and changing the game.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Glitter10266 wrote:
LOL. travis your post made me LAUGH. how often have you been in the arena since hmm... celestia was released?? when chain stunning was a huge deal among many players? (spamming smokes is just another chain people came up with) how often do you 4v4? 3v3? 2v2? spamming smokescreen only works in pvp with 2+ team members. okay so this is how it basically works. (laura has already said how but you are apparently not getting the point, and making rude remarks) 2 or 3 players, side deck slam pack of smoke screen (-45% accuracy), costs 1 pip, (so they could do this every round), and they are just stalling while the attacker is buffing for a big global attack. i, myself, also support the idea of a "smokescreen block". travis i think you need to go watch some more arena duels before you start acting all high and mighty and scurrilous. and arent all of us entitled to our own opinions? quit downing people. by the way, minions can't even spam smokes.. please know what you're talking about....slanderous mouthed, not trying to get off topic here.

oh and also, you say and i quote "I have played team pvp alot and NEVER seen this "so called" chain smokescreening problem that a few have cried out to change a spell. " <- LOL it's not the spell people are wanting to change, it's the chaining of spells. and a "few" people have cried out to change? wow, have you been in the arena lately..at all? especially legend pvps?

now leave me a nice reply full of your insults and correcting everything. thank you!

-ASF
I'm really happy for you and the laughter, it warms my heart so thanks for sharing that... I know what chaining is and understand pvp dynamics so please spare me any future lessons. I agree with a solution to chainable accuracy reducing spells but do not want the spell to affect one vs one play. Foul play in team pvp should not change the game dynamics in one vs one, as you explained in a failed attampt to be my educator. Simple enough? Are you following me? Picking up what I'm throwing down?

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Wow glitter... You made your 14th post just for me, I'm truly flattered. You asked if I have been in the arena since celestia? The real question is have I left the arena since dragonspyre, sadly the answer is no.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
travisAk wrote:
Wow glitter... You made your 14th post just for me, I'm truly flattered. You asked if I have been in the arena since celestia? The real question is have I left the arena since dragonspyre, sadly the answer is no.

Cool. and i dont come on these things much but im tired of the complaining. now, thank you for the sarcasm. i would love to take this to the arena.

-ASF

Survivor
Sep 24, 2009
travisAk wrote:
Fire wizards I have to warn you of of the newest complaint in pvp... Smokescreen block. As you know our minion, even with low health is considered to be one of the best in the game. There are a few people that would like to put smokescreen block into the game to render a main spell of the fire minion useless. They complain and cry that a chaining technique, rarely ever seen, using smokescreen warrants a change to the system. Allthough balance has black mantle, another chainable accuray reducing spell, I believe the fire spell is being singled out as an elaborate scheme to nerf the fire minion --> imo You see some people would love for our minion to waste pips using a smokescreen that does nothing.

Chain stunning was a problem, essentially locking out a team so they couldn't make a move. Accuracy reducing spells are based on a percentage, meaning they only work half the time, and it costs two pips (unlike 0 pip stun spells used for chaining). I have played team pvp alot and NEVER seen this "so called" chain smokescreening problem that a few have cried out to change a spell.

Another solution to this non problem: take away treasure somescreens and pendant or take the spell from the minion (worst case but acceptable) and make it so they blade us again

KI, pls do not weaken the fire minion for people who would weaken our minion so they can win easier at PVP. It's just wrong and outright unfair to the fire school. Thx.

Just as you know people there is a lot of people smoke screen spammers now. I even lost my warlord rank from the spammers. ( Fought 2 teams of smoke screen spammers died twice). Its just amazing how people of wizard101 or workers of wizard101 makes such a good effort of making good spells and making PVP better and the game better, but then other people find ways to cheat there rank. That's why they took chain stuns out of the game to make the game better. Soon they gonna take this wanna be strategy out of the game for 4v4 or 3v3.

Ty for your time: Jared Sun Shade (Fire Legend Commander NOW!!!!!)

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Glitter10266 wrote:
travisAk wrote:

Cool. and i dont come on these things much but im tired of the complaining. now, thank you for the sarcasm. i would love to take this to the arena.

-ASF
Like 2 vs 2? Are you asking me to team up with you?how sweet Hehe...
I was telling Laura on another thread I ran into a couple groups of these smoke groups last night and see the issue. Most of my battles are solo, but after last night and talking with my old crew this seems to have gotten alot worse as of late. So meh.. You can save your darts for now, I'll just have to swallow parts of this post *choke*

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
travisAk wrote:
Glitter10266 wrote:
travisAk wrote:

-ASF
I was telling Laura on another thread I ran into a couple groups of these smoke groups last night and see the issue. Most of my battles are solo, but after last night and talking with my old crew this seems to have gotten alot worse as of late. So meh.. You can save your darts for now, I'll just have to swallow parts of this post *choke*

I actually think some people are sick enough to start doing the exploit only after it is being explained in the forums in order to get it fixed. -.-

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
laurawatersong wrote:
travisAk wrote:
Glitter10266 wrote:
travisAk wrote:

-ASF

I actually think some people are sick enough to start doing the exploit only after it is being explained in the forums in order to get it fixed. -.-

LOL. I just said that in your other thread. Although team PvP is going to be frustrating over the next few days/weeks, the more people using this strategy, the better the chance of getting something resolved.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
laurawatersong wrote:

scandalous... Are we talking conspiracy here? Lol

Explorer
May 12, 2010
Well, according to Thorvon, Storm can beat this tactic, by simply putting a gargantuan on tempest and attacking every round. So, according to Thorvon, if you want to defeat any scenario, make a storm wizard, because the are invincable!

Since, this issue is easily defeated using storm wizards, according to Thorvon, it is no longer an issue and the fact that Storm is just so Overpowered, they are the real issue in PvP!

LOL if you can believe that!

But, then again, this is according to Thorvon!

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
travisAk wrote:
laurawatersong wrote:

scandalous... Are we talking conspiracy here? Lol

there's no conspiracy to a kid learning to cheat from our suggestions to fix exploits, only real bad upbringing.