Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Talos in lower-level PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 19, 2010
EvilDroid wrote:
darthjt wrote:
Is Talos not a 5 pip spell? Lower Levels usually dont get many power pips... You don't have to kill the minion in order to win PvP, just the player... Not exactly sure how this Tips the scale in lower level PvP, so, could someone explain it to me?

Well I have seen a lot of lower levels using talos and/or the colossus minion. It helps because these minions are hard to kill and they take off shields, but on the other hand, they can also be bad because they use up all of your pips and if you dont have many shields, as most low levels dont then the opponent can save pips, shield, and then hit with a high treasure card or high level pet school spell.

btw, for the initial complainer of people using talos minions, I see the use of this card as no different than those low levels using high level school pets with their spells, and the use of high level treasure cards as their hit spells. same strategy, and if you rank up as a low level, it is pretty much the only way you can fight fairly if you are level 12, rank captain and you get matched up with a level 36, rank private. If you were to use the spells, shields etc that were only for your level you would never beat a high level and not really be able to rank up.

I agree that Talos should be taken out of lower lvl pvp. And the pets that give high ranking spells are a problem. I just fought a lvl 30 opponent the other day. He was able to use the Vengeance treasure card, either from his pet or from his regular treasure deck, i dont know. That is a problem. It is very unfair and should be capped.

Then again, when my opponents do pull these cards out, i usually explain to them that I understand that they cant beat me any other way, and if they must "cheat" to beat me, go ahead.

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
YIKES!!! That should be level capped. I usually say no, but a minion with Earthquake and 1,000 health? Definite level cap! 55+ sounds fair since that's when Myth people get it. Maybe 52+ just to be nice. I really, really, really, REALLY don't want to run into that guy!

Historian
May 01, 2010
iansmamasrq wrote:
slammer111 wrote:
its kinda a this or that: if it is removed from pvp, then conjurers are defied theyre level 55 treasure spell, and if it is capped, then some people that have no use for it cant give it to theyre little conjurers for hard bosses (those were my plans for it)

I think the most balanced thing to do is to make it so that anyone under level 55 can't get it, not through the bazaar and not through trade. It's already done with unstoppable and another high-level astral spell. Yes, it would be nice to give it to lower levels for PvE play but in my opinion (JMHO) it's not worth the unfair use of it in PvP. If you're a conjurer level 55 or higher, it's fair. :D

one more thing about that: i just realized this too

you are saying it will be no auction no trade, and have a level cap? people will do this: get someone to take them to wt, farm the boss, get the cards, and use them to there hearts content. it happened when i was helping someone in the chancel, (wasnt level 58) and i could use the gargantuan fine (in fact i went back there to get gargantuan for centaurs)

and the last sentence in my previous post (or at least what you quoted of it) meant if it was not tradeable, not level capped.

Survivor
May 30, 2009
"Whatever is made by the Wizard101 Staff has atleast one loophole until they fix it"
-Quote by Mattz5973

Defender
Aug 07, 2010
See I personally think this is kinda funny. A minion is a minion once you kill player the minion goes away.

Say it takes 5 pips and your in low lvl pvp unless your myth that does nothing cause you do not recieve power pips for it. So your letting a person get a 5 pip advantage over you? by that time you should attack? dont ya think. I am just saying I think it is fine where it was and I ran into this strategy maybe 5 times so far.

This isnt the biggest issue in pvp by far lol

I ran into a lvl 5 warlord with 50% resist and I had all his friends around me making rude comments about how I lost and no chance and he summoned a talos and shielded it instead of himself. He didnt mind cheating using lvl 60 pets maxed out or treasure cards and I asked him why he felt the need to brag about his winnings or brag about how he is cheating and he said just so your point? That made me mad and I used a maxed out kracken two blades 3 traps and I killed him to turns after talos was summoned.Talos wont attack for a few turns after he is summoned. ( btw all of those blades traps and things offered to storm at lvl 24 did only 750 damage just enough to kill him since he had 730 health) But my point is you can weaken your other player enough to kill them before talos is effective.

I get how he is a lvl 55 but I personally believe its just strategy on how you win your matches and he doesnt help that much. I went out and tried this stategy and thought I would win and to be honest I didnt maybe once or twice outta 6 times its that talos isnt the best thing for low lvl people there is always some way around it.

QUESTION?

Is talos any differently from a lvl 5 using a fire dragon or skeletal dragon or a high card or using gargantuan on a card? What about earthquake or powerlink? I mean ninja pigs is myth but its a treasure card low lvl people use to win. Same with life using a card forest walker or something 6 pips 600+ damage. I personally believe if your willing to only complain about just talos then it opens the door to other treasure cards and possibilities taken out of the game. And thats not what KI intended. It was to make the game unique and have skill and variety.

Blake NightWraith lvl 60 life
Blake NightWraith lvl 50 death
Blake NightWraith lvl 30 storm
Blake NightWraith lvl 15 fire

Survivor
Aug 18, 2011
darthjt wrote:
Is Talos not a 5 pip spell? Lower Levels usually dont get many power pips... You don't have to kill the minion in order to win PvP, just the player... Not exactly sure how this Tips the scale in lower level PvP, so, could someone explain it to me?

Even though it does take 5 pips to cast, lower levels don't got that strong of spells to defeat the enemy in 5 turns. They can though if they lucky with their pips. Or, the caster of the treasure Talos could just shield while waiting for the pips. I have another wizard level 60 myth on an old account but now, I just play it with my cousin and when we did a 1v1 with our level 18 fire, we faced a level 17 fire. He just shielded and used weakness on us till he got talos out. And I know everything there is to talos thanks to my warlord myth. I know you can shield but in the low levels, you can only get like up to 3 shields in your deck. And treasures, I know I could use them and its my loss I dont, but I think if you treasure, you will have no skill for the long run. But that's just me

Good luck in the arena everyone!

Kenneth AnvilWraith Level 18 Pyromancer PvP knight
AKA Luke Thundershade
Level 60 Conjurer
PvP Warlord
Master Angler

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
Luvas wrote:
Starting yesterday my friend returned to Wizard101 and got me into PvP like the good old days. The reason he quit before was because of the imbalances in PvP pre-Wintertusk. Now he began to play again, this time in Initiate(Level 10-20) PvP, but as he dueled and we talked, he told me his opponent summoned a Talos. First time we tried to think nothing of it, but two other duelists did the same thing.

Now, Talos is obviously a powerful creature not meant for the world of newbies. It usually isn't in the Bazaar, but sometimes it will become buyable in the hundreds or eighties, making them and other Minions available to Wizards of all Schools and Levels.

My friend obviously thinks this is a problem. What do you guys think? Should Talos have a level requirement like Gargantuan and Polymorphs? What about the other Wintertusk-Exclusive Spells? I'd like to hear from both Students and Faculty if possible.

You don't need to worry about it anymore, now that Talos is banished forever from the arena. Anyways, even if Talos was not, the bazaar charges an awfully lot for the card (1000 pieces of gold even when the supply is at an abundant 100), so if an abuser is around level 10 or something, he/she will have an awful long time to farm up enough coins to purchase a sustainable amount to last a lot of duels.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
liftgat wrote:
Supafreak12 wrote:
Talos is a extremely hard treasure card to get. I only have 2 of them.
Idk what talos does exactly. If you face an initiate with a talos you probably wont find him with another talos again.

Actually I get Talos as a card drop all the time.

I farm in Grizzleheim - Sudrilund - Ketil Blackheart's Cave, Ketil gives tons of great sellables plus wild bolts and Talos drops. I can't sell or use them fast enough I get so many. This cave is now my favorite place to farm. I can make 40-50K gold in a half hour.

For pvp I battled against one, killed the owner but Talos stuck around and I had to beat him too to get out of the ring. Lucky I made it. I barely had any life left.

Wait, you had to kill the minion too as if he was a member of the team? Woah, that is hard to believe. If you face a wizard and he/she summons a minion, don't worry about it if you think you can stand it. Just keep on zeroing in your attacks on the owner. If the owner perishes, his/her minion will automatically face their demise and you win.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Fin3cy6 wrote:

Wait, you had to kill the minion too as if he was a member of the team? Woah, that is hard to believe. If you face a wizard and he/she summons a minion, don't worry about it if you think you can stand it. Just keep on zeroing in your attacks on the owner. If the owner perishes, his/her minion will automatically face their demise and you win.

you obviously don't know much about the Talos minion. It has 1000 health. It uses high level myth attacks. it's not one you can ignore like that.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
I have a commander level 10 and he is myth, i get power pips from pvp gear and i have Orthrus pet and by the time they use that 5 pip minion i can kill them with my pet. But overall talos is a problem for most people.