Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Talos in lower-level PvP

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 13, 2010
Starting yesterday my friend returned to Wizard101 and got me into PvP like the good old days. The reason he quit before was because of the imbalances in PvP pre-Wintertusk. Now he began to play again, this time in Initiate(Level 10-20) PvP, but as he dueled and we talked, he told me his opponent summoned a Talos. First time we tried to think nothing of it, but two other duelists did the same thing.

Now, Talos is obviously a powerful creature not meant for the world of newbies. It usually isn't in the Bazaar, but sometimes it will become buyable in the hundreds or eighties, making them and other Minions available to Wizards of all Schools and Levels.

My friend obviously thinks this is a problem. What do you guys think? Should Talos have a level requirement like Gargantuan and Polymorphs? What about the other Wintertusk-Exclusive Spells? I'd like to hear from both Students and Faculty if possible.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Squire
Aug 04, 2009
It is a problem for sure and they should level cap it. But I think its a temporary problem that will resolve itself soon, we have a huge supply of these new spell treasure cards because wintertusk is still kind of new and thats why there are a ton of the new treasure cards at the bazaar but until it kind of dies down there has to be something to be done about it.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Is Talos not a 5 pip spell? Lower Levels usually dont get many power pips... You don't have to kill the minion in order to win PvP, just the player... Not exactly sure how this Tips the scale in lower level PvP, so, could someone explain it to me?

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Is Talos not a 5 pip spell? Lower Levels usually dont get many power pips... You don't have to kill the minion in order to win PvP, just the player... Not exactly sure how this Tips the scale in lower level PvP, so, could someone explain it to me?

Well I have seen a lot of lower levels using talos and/or the colossus minion. It helps because these minions are hard to kill and they take off shields, but on the other hand, they can also be bad because they use up all of your pips and if you dont have many shields, as most low levels dont then the opponent can save pips, shield, and then hit with a high treasure card or high level pet school spell.

btw, for the initial complainer of people using talos minions, I see the use of this card as no different than those low levels using high level school pets with their spells, and the use of high level treasure cards as their hit spells. same strategy, and if you rank up as a low level, it is pretty much the only way you can fight fairly if you are level 12, rank captain and you get matched up with a level 36, rank private. If you were to use the spells, shields etc that were only for your level you would never beat a high level and not really be able to rank up.

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
travisAk wrote:
Big problem, level cap it or get the treasure card out of pvp.

skip the cap remove them completely.

M.RedBlood death

Survivor
Jul 19, 2010
Talos is a extremely hard treasure card to get. I only have 2 of them.
Idk what talos does exactly. If you face an initiate with a talos you probably wont find him with another talos again.

Survivor
Jan 01, 2011
Supafreak12 wrote:
Talos is a extremely hard treasure card to get. I only have 2 of them.
Idk what talos does exactly. If you face an initiate with a talos you probably wont find him with another talos again.

Actually I get Talos as a card drop all the time.

I farm in Grizzleheim - Sudrilund - Ketil Blackheart's Cave, Ketil gives tons of great sellables plus wild bolts and Talos drops. I can't sell or use them fast enough I get so many. This cave is now my favorite place to farm. I can make 40-50K gold in a half hour.

For pvp I battled against one, killed the owner but Talos stuck around and I had to beat him too to get out of the ring. Lucky I made it. I barely had any life left.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2009
I think it is perfectly fair, I don't see how it is UN-fair.

You call it unfair cause they use a card they bought at the bazaar (1200)
They spend lots of gold on a card that helps them win 1 match (1-20 tickets)

I just recently started pvp and i dont think it's as hard as you people make it, I have reached people who use talos or Zilla's

It isnt unfair because If they are using a strong card you could too.
These cards and or pets aren't made for them exclusivly you could just as easily go to the bazaar and buy a talos card like they did. its just they choose to waste theyre gold on something like that (Especially lvls 1-10) I remember it is really hard to get that much gold for them.

The point is If they can do it you can do it too.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
It isnt unfair because If they are using a strong card you could too.
These cards and or pets aren't made for them exclusivly you could just as easily go to the bazaar and buy a talos card like they did. its just they choose to waste theyre gold on something like that (Especially lvls 1-10) I remember it is really hard to get that much gold for them.

Would just like to point out that most of the wizards that do this at lower levels have a legendary wizard supporting them, and as a legendary I can get 2500 gold in a single battle (Even more if you know where to farm).

As someone said earlier, it's not hard to make 40-50K gold in a half hour. For the lower levels who are actually earning the gold themselves it's very expensive, but that's not generally the case.

As for using Talos in lower level PvP, I think it will pass, and if it doesn't, I suppose it will be capped like the morphs were. Something else will replace it when this happens, as usual.

Defender
Dec 18, 2008
My myth wizard was flying through the ranks at level 23. When i was just a few points into captain i met a level 13 balance warlord. Easy win? Nope, Talos treasure card almost as soon as she had the pips. i spent no time getting my cyclops minion out and focused on blading and whittling down her health. i payed no attention to the Talos as it bombarded my minion and me with frogs and minotaurs. funny thing was the balance didn't attack at all. Soon she was defeated at the hands of my ninja pigs treasure card and i had won. I survived a Talos and so can you, just kill the player, Not the minion. I personally have no problem with "noobs" using Talos treasures though it does get quite infuriating.
I don't expect KI to do anything about it, as spell exploitation has been in PvP since PvP was first released. it's just unavoidable.

Survivor
May 31, 2009
i totally agree talos should be level capped it isnt fair at all espicially now that pvp is all about cheating to win but getting nothing for it it just seems stupid

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
I agree soon enough noobs will start spamming the Talos minion if they get a hold of it. I used my minion with my friend once against two noobs one of them summoned Talos. At first we didnt care but then it started breaking our shields and our minions were nearly dead. I had to use take power on my minion to win the battle. There needs to be a level cap on the Talos minion or before we know it noobs will own PvP and thats us legendaries' job. The best way to counteract it is to carry myth dispels and use them on noobs so they fizz when summoning Talos.

Aaron Drakewalker Level 60
Pyromancer

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Exactly. Plus with monstrous AoE's available for low levels, Talos shouldn't be too hard to take down anyways.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Exactly. Plus with monstrous AoE's available for low levels, Talos shouldn't be too hard to take down anyways.

After further review of this situation, by making a new, low level character for PvP, Talos tips the scales more than you might think...

Talos has a lot of health for a minion and uses traps like hex, shields like tower, and attacks like froggy and minotaur... Talos gets blades also... He is not easy for a low level to kill, even if they do have AOE in side decks..

Until you try something out, you really can't say... This is not so much of a problem for mid-level or upper-level pvp, but for low-level pvp, this is too overpowered!

Talos should be level restricted and treated the same as polymorphs are...
Sorry to all of you Talos fans out there, but the truth is the truth!

Survivor
Nov 10, 2008
Talos is a BIG problem in lower level pvp. I think KI should make a level cap like they did with the polymorph....

Mason FireBlade

Level 23 pyromancer

FIRE ROCKS!!

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
darthjt wrote:

After further review of this situation, by making a new, low level character for PvP, Talos tips the scales more than you might think...

Talos has a lot of health for a minion and uses traps like hex, shields like tower, and attacks like froggy and minotaur... Talos gets blades also... He is not easy for a low level to kill, even if they do have AOE in side decks..

Until you try something out, you really can't say... This is not so much of a problem for mid-level or upper-level pvp, but for low-level pvp, this is too overpowered!

Talos should be level restricted and treated the same as polymorphs are...
Sorry to all of you Talos fans out there, but the truth is the truth!

I am used to mid-level pvp, so I only know that its fair from level 28-37. My low level pvper is leveled up now, so I have no idea how it effects people below level 25. A level cap definitely wouldn't hurt, but I think KI has better things to worry about in pvp (downranking.)

-Solstice64

Survivor
Apr 21, 2009
flarzedrago9 wrote:
I agree soon enough noobs will start spamming the Talos minion if they get a hold of it. I used my minion with my friend once against two noobs one of them summoned Talos. At first we didnt care but then it started breaking our shields and our minions were nearly dead. I had to use take power on my minion to win the battle. There needs to be a level cap on the Talos minion or before we know it noobs will own PvP and thats us legendaries' job. The best way to counteract it is to carry myth dispels and use them on noobs so they fizz when summoning Talos.

Aaron Drakewalker Level 60
Pyromancer

I also think that talos should have a lvl cap. Much like Aaron i was fighting with my friend against two noobs and both of them summoned talos. My friend Blaze Goldstone shielded both of us but talos and talos broke all of our shields and gave shields to the other noobs. He they almost killed us but Blaze could heal. He simply used Storm lord and i used fire dragon and we killed them.But it was very very very annoying.KI SHOULD put a lvl cap on talos.

o Hi Aaron we did jade oni together, we're friends remember.

Justin Redrunner Level 60 Pyromancer

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
It doesn't make sense to me that KI will block polymorph and other high-level minion card such as Malistaire, but won't block Talos. Talos has 1000 health, stuns, and uses balance spells like hex. Today I fought a low-level ice wizard and she kept summoning Talos and cast a myth bubble to boost his spells. It seems about as bad as letting a lower level use Unstoppable. I wish KI would fix it. I've gotten bored with questing and had turned to PvP but between Talos and level 58 hybrid pets, I can't enjoy that either. I guess I'll take a break from the game for a while, play something else, although this game has a year's worth of my money up front.

This post will probably never even make it to the light of day because of KI controlling everything that's posted.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2011
Talos should be allowed in Low Level PvP, as a Talos user myself, I think it is completely fair! I am an adept that always has to battle people that are ten lvls ahead. Think about it, they have 2 times your health, much better spells, and usually get to go first, isn't it only fair that us noobs have an advantage Seth LegendSword Level 25 Congurer

Survivor
Apr 19, 2010
Survivor
Jun 29, 2011
But you know If KI Puts a level cap on this card they will have to be fair and put a cap on all the GH spells. including the life one witch is almost a need in low level pvp against heck hounds and storm hounds.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
lucara wrote:
Talos should be allowed in Low Level PvP, as a Talos user myself, I think it is completely fair! I am an adept that always has to battle people that are ten lvls ahead. Think about it, they have 2 times your health, much better spells, and usually get to go first, isn't it only fair that us noobs have an advantage Seth LegendSword Level 25 Congurer

I am happy to agree to disagree.

I just want to make the point that the wizard I use for PvP, is a level 21 Diviner with 1301 health. I made it to Commander with this wizard, without using Talos, in only 49 matches. It CAN be done. The player who most recently used Talos on me was an ice wizard, 1321 health, PvP rank of Captain. It was a fair match until she starting spamming Talos, with 1000 health. It was basically like having two players against me. She won, it boosted her to Commander and put me back down to Captain.

Also, please don't insult yourself by calling yourself a noob. :-)

As for GH spells (different poster, I'm not familiar with any GH spells and I have characters who are Legendary. There is a Life Banshee that is a mutation available from one of the Astral Schools. And I heartily agree that Astral Spells should not be allowed for use by players who have not reached the proper level for training.

I truly admire KI for having this open discussion on the official boards.

Historian
May 01, 2010
its kinda a this or that: if it is removed from pvp, then conjurers are defied theyre level 55 treasure spell, and if it is capped, then some people that have no use for it cant give it to theyre little conjurers for hard bosses (those were my plans for it)

now, what i think should happen, is that its power is reduced in pvp, so its still allowed, and anyone can use it, but probably wont because it will be weaker (and by weaker i mean so that an initiate can kill it fairly easily) and while at it, do the same to most of the minions, (notably the ice minion)

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
slammer111 wrote:
its kinda a this or that: if it is removed from pvp, then conjurers are defied theyre level 55 treasure spell, and if it is capped, then some people that have no use for it cant give it to theyre little conjurers for hard bosses (those were my plans for it)

I think the most balanced thing to do is to make it so that anyone under level 55 can't get it, not through the bazaar and not through trade. It's already done with unstoppable and another high-level astral spell. Yes, it would be nice to give it to lower levels for PvE play but in my opinion (JMHO) it's not worth the unfair use of it in PvP. If you're a conjurer level 55 or higher, it's fair. :D