Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

That player is busy when trying to port

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 20, 2009
So, I think this is related to the game not properly clearing people of instances when they leave, but on several occassions I have tried to port to friends and gotten the message that they were busy. Also, I've had people try to port to me when I'm in an instance and they've gotten the message.

If you don't want people abusing instances, I can understand that, but at least let the "leader" (first person entered or whatever) of an instance have a choice in who comes in.

Ideally, though, you should be able to port into an instance that was previously full but no longer is to help your friends.

Defender
May 28, 2009
I ran into this situation for the first time on two different occasions last night. It was frustrating. I think KI should fix this. It's really very simple. If you are incrementing an integer when someone ports / starts an instance then decrement the integer when someone in the party ports out, is defeated, or leaves. I understand that the number of people needs to be tracked so that you don't have 5 or more people in an instance, but if it is going to be tracked then it should be tracked both ways. Last night a friend of mine Mark T. asked for help so I tried to port and his instance was full. The problem was that he had three other friends helping but they ditched him. By the time I was able to port in (after we tried several things and ultimately had both restarted the game) it was time for me to get off the computer for the night. Sorry for ditching you too Mark. KI, please correct this issue. I would not want to be stuck in Mark's situation, in a deep dark dungeon all alone, with help on the way but the rescue team can't get in.

Explorer
Apr 22, 2009
Many times though, you get this message when you CAN NOT port into the instance or tower. I don't know how many times I got this message in DS because someone was in a tower. It gets annoying because the person can't help, but that's just how it works.

It has also occurred to me or friends when the instance is specifically SOLO. Such as Nimah the Wicked for Ice Wiz's. She is Solo Only and no one can help you, so it says you are busy when people try to port, and MAN did that stink! lol.

Now I don't know which areas you are talking about, and if someone is in an instance that IS portable and his/her friends ditch him, then yes I think that someone else should be allowed to port in. Just make sure you are aware of where this is occurring because if is in DS, it is not because and instance/tower is full, it is because it is just how DS works. Anywhere else, well then I just don't know :-).

Sarai Dragonstone Grandmaster Ice/Storm
Sarai Dragonheart Lvl 32 Storm/Death

Defender
Jan 20, 2009
After playing the game for a few months since writing this post, I've learned that instances don't reset their counter when someone simply ports out. If that player logs out of his account, however, the counter will reset.

How did you find this post, btw? It must have been on page 30 of the forum.

Defender
May 06, 2009
No, that's not it. There are certain locations (some towers, many in DragonSpyre for instance, as well as special quests for school-specific spells) where one is not allowed help. In those locations, you cannot port to them and will get exactly the message you see.

Delver
Sep 25, 2008
I had a problem error with Malistaire's liar. I tried porting. I have not reached the area yet but I wanted to help my friend who was helping others. Please fix this problem as it also ends up putting me back on the character selection screen as well.

Defender
May 06, 2009
Sirap wrote:
So, I think this is related to the game not properly clearing people of instances when they leave, but on several occassions I have tried to port to friends and gotten the message that they were busy. Also, I've had people try to port to me when I'm in an instance and they've gotten the message.

If you don't want people abusing instances, I can understand that, but at least let the "leader" (first person entered or whatever) of an instance have a choice in who comes in.

Ideally, though, you should be able to port into an instance that was previously full but no longer is to help your friends.

KI does this for areas that are ment to be done solo with NO assistance at all (a bunch of these are in dragonspire and a few lower down the spiral). Of course I have ran across a few that were instances with the sigles that gave this same behavior i didn't try to see if I could get two folks to actually go into the same zone at the same time thou.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
Maryanne20 wrote:
I had a problem error with Malistaire's liar. I tried porting. I have not reached the area yet but I wanted to help my friend who was helping others. Please fix this problem as it also ends up putting me back on the character selection screen as well.

Its not a problem. That is an instance that allows up to four players and you have to meet prior to starting the game. They can not invite you in at the last minute or after they begin.

Another thing, I happen to like that it keeps people from porting. It is a differcult quest as is and having someone you don't know EVEN a "friend of a friend who is helping" is not slways welcome.

People opten want to do these quests for a drop and you are trying to complete the quest. If you were meant to do it you would have been asked at the beginning. Not after everyone is there and doing it. If they told you that they just started i am willing to bet they meant they just started the first fight.

Defender
May 28, 2009
Sirap, actually it was around page ~50. LOL! I guess I was bored. Really I was trying to catch up with all the posts and make sure I wasn't posting duplicates (probably inevitable). When I read your post (which I was really surprised did not have a reply) it struck a cord because I had just found the same problem. I understand the concept of an area that is "Solo Only" like Golemn Tower in Golemn Court. Those areas simply says your friend is busy. But the area that I was speaking of was a dungeon in KT and my friend had already had others port to him and then port out. I hope that this thread will get the attention of KI because what they were trying to prevent by putting a limit was a missive squad of players filling up a single instance. And I understand the need to keep a person a part of an instance while they are gone filling up potions but it seems to me that there needs to be a time limit or something so that folks don't get stuck in a "Team" instance without the ability to get help.

Defender
May 28, 2009
I just found this post by Gamma that explains thing. It is called "A Guide to Sunken City" and a link to the page is here: https://www.wizard101.com/site/posts/list/1948.ftl
and the important text pertaining to this thread is:
4. Four at a Time. Sunken City is meant for four players to explore. If four people stand on the sigils at the entrance, those original four can teleport in and out as needed. If less than four people stand on the sigils at the entrance, friends can teleport in until there are four people total. Once these four people are in, the group is locked. Should a player or players decide not to continue with the adventure, they can remove themselves from the group by logging off or entering a different instance. At that time, the group is open to new members however it is still capped at four people.
I still stand by the things said in this thread but at least this explains things a bit more. If you are having this problem and don't want to have to restart the instance then text your friends and let them know to either enter another instance and get off yours or log out and back in again.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
yes i think we should have a choice if someone ports to us or not some time it can mess you up in a battle, speaking of which i really dislike when people stand there and wait till the battle is almost over then jump in to reap the rewards i feel that is cheating, and i am seeing more and more of it

Survivor
May 21, 2009
iampan wrote:
yes i think we should have a choice if someone ports to us or not some time it can mess you up in a battle, speaking of which i really dislike when people stand there and wait till the battle is almost over then jump in to reap the rewards i feel that is cheating, and i am seeing more and more of it

I agree with you wholeheartedly, I also hate it when people join at the end but my biggest pet peeve is when you already defeated one enemy in the battle and then some one else comes in and joins you and guess what they then decide to flee! I hate that because then I have to fight even longer and I maybe running low on life and so on...