Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Schools that are best for Solo play vs. Group

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 02, 2011
I've been playing wizard101 for roughly a month now, and have been a member for 2 and a half weeks. So, I'm looking for some insight into which schools are best for what kind of playing. Due to the short amount of time I've been playing, I have relatively few friends, so I've soloed most of the game. So, here are my what schools I think are best for what type of gameplay and why. Feel free to comment if you see something wrong or have something to add. Thanks!

**--Solo--**

Death(my main's primary school)

-Drains - The multiple drain spells of the Death class make it the ideal soloing class for normal gameplay. If you play your cards right, your Death wizard can finish battles with full or nearly full health. This makes the game's numerous dungeons and gauntlets significantly easier to beat alone. Drains are also particularly good against a life enemy with a spirit shield, as it can bypass the spirit shield and directly attack the target. Their only downsides are that they cannot be enhances by enchantment treasure cards such as Tough and that they typically do slightly less damage than spells from other schools of the same rank.

-Feint(intermediate level death spell) - My favourite spell, and for good reason. This is the best trap in the game. Adding a 70% trap to your opponent and a 30% trap to yourself at the low cost of a single pip, this trap makes most rank-4+ spells one-hit-KO most enemies. And if used with shields, blades, and high-level attack spells, you'll easily one-hit many bosses as well. But the best part of this trap is that it's a spiral trap, meaning that ANY school's spells are compatible. To make this spell better YET, when used with a drain spell, it not only drastically increases the amount you're healed from them as well. This makes the 30% trap on yourself seem much more insignificant. Learning this spell truely is a game-changer. Just watch out for low level players joining your fight and wasting your feint on a noobish spell, leaving you with to take

-Blades and Traps - Death has the best blades and traps(for yourself, that is). With a +40% deathblade, and the +30% death trap. This is a better set than many schools get.

-Animate - Another fun spell, Animate summons a minion whose rank is dependent on the pips you use for the spell. The highest rank minion I've ever seen in my 36 levels of gameplay has been my own death minion.

Myth(my sister's primary class) - I've never played as Myth myself, but you see them around pretty often, and my sister uses it, so I have a fair idea of how they work.

-Minions - This is Myth's single greatest strength. Myth's fighting style revolves around summoning minions. Granted minions are generally not nearly as powerful as an actual player, there's so much you can do with them. There are tons of spells that let you heal minions and steal health from them. My favourite thing to do is use a spell like pacify to reduce your threat causing enemies to attack your minions instead. Then all you have to do is sit back and heal them whenever their health falls too low. Or if you want to kill them yourself, it gives you a break so you can heal and set traps and blades.

-Myth's weakness - probably half of the enemies you encounter in Wizard101 are myth type, meaning they have a strong resistance to myth spells. Furthermore, the only class with a weakness to Myth is Storm, and they generally don't miss a beat when is comes to setting up Myth traps.

**--Group Play--**

Life(my main's secondary class, and my second wizard's primary) - Life, for obvious reasons, is best used in group play.

-Healing - Life students have MANY healing spells of all sorts for themselves as well as other players, whereas most players can only really heal themselves(and not by much).

Balance(my main's tertiary class) - Balance, as noted in it's description at the very beginning of the game, is great for changing the rules of the battle. I'm not too familiar with the specifics, but I know balance has several spells that can enhance the spells of other players.

**--PvP--**

I don't really know much about PvP and honestly have no idea what schools are best for that. This is really where I'm looking for insight from other players. I've played only a few practice PvP games as a Necromancer, and I've won all that I've played, so it must be a good class for that. Let me know what you all think!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Level 36 Necromancer - Ethan Soulhunter

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Life is probably the easiest school to solo with, but it can be time-consuming..

If you don't mind being defeated once in a while, you'd probably make it through the game in the shortest amount of time with Storm.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Hey there. So, I have a lot of wizards, every school but death (my wife is Death though). In my opinion, every school is fine to solo with (and I do). They all just need different strategies. Now, if the question is which is easiest to farm with... that depends on what you're farming but its probably a smaller list. Anyway, back to the topic at hand... they all have their things that are hard to deal with, but I really couldn't choose a particular school that is better than another. Ice, for instance, struggles in the beginning, but once it hits its stride (around marleybone), the battles start going quicker and the defensive strategy starts to really pay off. Fire and storm on the other hand... I have never blown through the early levels so quickly. Really, I think the best school to solo with is the one whose play style suits you. I don't know if this helps, or is just more confusing... I hope its the former and not the latter.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2009
Ok from my experience all schools can be used for solo play, but there are different aspects to it such as how often you might die and how fast battles will take.

At lvl 28 Storm gets tempest which is just amazing and helps you fly through battles while taking only little damage.

Ice is really good on health and defense, but battles will take slightly longer. Plus it doesnt get its blade till lvl 38.

Death is good with heals and can easily get high damage quick from its various traps and blades.

Fire and Myth have same stats all around from gear and health (not spells). Fire gets more damage but less accuracy and myth can do a fair amount of damage plus has all the minions to back it up.

Life is just easy heals and the damage can be pretty decent too if you just stack blades, but Life doesnt get an AOE spell till lvl 58 but it doesnt make that much of difference.

Balance is great with 2nd max health tied with life, ice still first, and also gets a heal, blades and traps that work with all schools, and the ability to do elemental damage at lvl 26 with the spell spectral blast.

Storm has to be best for group play though since you wouldnt have to worry about health as much and you could deal high damage to all enemies in just a couple of turns.

Hope this helped!

Legendary Conjurer -- Legendary Sorcerer -- Grandmaster Diviner
Grandmaster Necromancer -- Magus Thaumaturge -- Master Pyromancer

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
EveryGoodNameWasTa... wrote:
I've been playing wizard101 for roughly a month now, and have been a member for 2 and a half weeks. So, I'm looking for some insight into which schools are best for what kind of playing. Due to the short amount of time I've been playing, I have relatively few friends, so I've soloed most of the game. So, here are my what schools I think are best for what type of gameplay and why. Feel free to comment if you see something wrong or have something to add. Thanks!

**--Solo--**

Death(my main's primary school)

-Drains - The multiple drain spells of the Death class make it the ideal soloing class for normal gameplay. If you play your cards right, your Death wizard can finish battles with full or nearly full health. This makes the game's numerous dungeons and gauntlets significantly easier to beat alone. Drains are also particularly good against a life enemy with a spirit shield, as it can bypass the spirit shield and directly attack the target. Their only downsides are that they cannot be enhances by enchantment treasure cards such as Tough and that they typically do slightly less damage than spells from other schools of the same rank.

-Feint(intermediate level death spell) - My favourite spell, and for good reason. This is the best trap in the game. Adding a 70% trap to your opponent and a 30% trap to yourself at the low cost of a single pip, this trap makes most rank-4+ spells one-hit-KO most enemies. And if used with shields, blades, and high-level attack spells, you'll easily one-hit many bosses as well. But the best part of this trap is that it's a spiral trap, meaning that ANY school's spells are compatible. To make this spell better YET, when used with a drain spell, it not only drastically increases the amount you're healed from them as well. This makes the 30% trap on yourself seem much more insignificant. Learning this spell truely is a game-changer. Just watch out for low level players joining your fight and wasting your feint on a noobish spell, leaving you with to take

-Blades and Traps - Death has the best blades and traps(for yourself, that is). With a +40% deathblade, and the +30% death trap. This is a better set than many schools get.

-Animate - Another fun spell, Animate summons a minion whose rank is dependent on the pips you use for the spell. The highest rank minion I've ever seen in my 36 levels of gameplay has been my own death minion.

Myth(my sister's primary class) - I've never played as Myth myself, but you see them around pretty often, and my sister uses it, so I have a fair idea of how they work.

-Minions - This is Myth's single greatest strength. Myth's fighting style revolves around summoning minions. Granted minions are generally not nearly as powerful as an actual player, there's so much you can do with them. There are tons of spells that let you heal minions and steal health from them. My favourite thing to do is use a spell like pacify to reduce your threat causing enemies to attack your minions instead. Then all you have to do is sit back and heal them whenever their health falls too low. Or if you want to kill them yourself, it gives you a break so you can heal and set traps and blades.

-Myth's weakness - probably half of the enemies you encounter in Wizard101 are myth type, meaning they have a strong resistance to myth spells. Furthermore, the only class with a weakness to Myth is Storm, and they generally don't miss a beat when is comes to setting up Myth traps.

**--Group Play--**

Life(my main's secondary class, and my second wizard's primary) - Life, for obvious reasons, is best used in group play.

-Healing - Life students have MANY healing spells of all sorts for themselves as well as other players, whereas most players can only really heal themselves(and not by much).

Balance(my main's tertiary class) - Balance, as noted in it's description at the very beginning of the game, is great for changing the rules of the battle. I'm not too familiar with the specifics, but I know balance has several spells that can enhance the spells of other players.

**--PvP--**

I don't really know much about PvP and honestly have no idea what schools are best for that. This is really where I'm looking for insight from other players. I've played only a few practice PvP games as a Necromancer, and I've won all that I've played, so it must be a good class for that. Let me know what you all think!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Level 36 Necromancer - Ethan Soulhunter

I agree with you, Death and Myth wizards have a little more tools to solo better and if you intend to play this game alone most of the time, they will probably be a better choice. However, all classes can solo effectively. It just takes awhile to learn all the interesting moves to do it.

For group play, a life wizard is a welcomed addition to any party. However, each class is becoming more important to group play than ever. With the release of Celestia, you'll notice that specific strategies are required for certain bosses (not even counting the optional cheating bosses). Certain schools assist more than others depending on that strategy. I assume Wintertusk and future worlds will continue to test more strategies and figuring out which schools (or spells) offer more, is the test.

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
I have 6 wizards and I've soloed so far with life, death, and myth. My life is almost a legendary and she's the farthest one. Death is in MooShu and Myth just started Marleybone.

Defender
Sep 28, 2010
colagada wrote:
Life is probably the easiest school to solo with, but it can be time-consuming..

If you don't mind being defeated once in a while, you'd probably make it through the game in the shortest amount of time with Storm.
Shortest ammount lol.I beat the game in a month on my fire :-).

Survivor
Mar 02, 2011
gtarhannon wrote:
Hey there. So, I have a lot of wizards, every school but death (my wife is Death though). In my opinion, every school is fine to solo with (and I do). They all just need different strategies. Now, if the question is which is easiest to farm with... that depends on what you're farming but its probably a smaller list. Anyway, back to the topic at hand... they all have their things that are hard to deal with, but I really couldn't choose a particular school that is better than another. Ice, for instance, struggles in the beginning, but once it hits its stride (around marleybone), the battles start going quicker and the defensive strategy starts to really pay off. Fire and storm on the other hand... I have never blown through the early levels so quickly. Really, I think the best school to solo with is the one whose play style suits you. I don't know if this helps, or is just more confusing... I hope its the former and not the latter.

Actually, I think this is just the insight I was looking for. As previously stated, I'm still fairly new to the game and haven't had the chance to experiment with many of the different classes. So, what ideas I gave were mostly based on observations made in the battles I have fought.

Unrelated Sidenote: I have to say, there are 2 things that really disappoint me about Death. 1) the lack of a per-pip damage spell, and 2) it's only multi-enemy attack spell isn't available until level 48. Though, when you do get it, it's a beastly attack to say the least.