Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance Shield

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 29, 2008
Hopefully we can get a shield for balance. Because if we battle in arena. Most of the time. They win against most of the players in the game. Lots of buffs and traps, full pips to cast Judgement. Then voila! The opponent is dead. The only shield against it is Tower Shields. Which doesnt really help that much. So is there any way that you guys can make a shield that can block balance spells? It will be really fair for other players on different school.

Survivor
Jan 06, 2009
I would really like a balance shield.. but it just seems out of context how do you shield against balance unless there is a chaos class.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING IT IS NOT FAIR Balance HAS A Shield FOR ALL THE OTHER SIX SCHOOL BUT NO SHIELD FOR Shield :(. I DO NOT SEE THE Balance IN THAT.Because if we battle in arena. Most of the time THEY LOAD UP WITH ShieldS AND full pips to cast Judgement. AND THAT IT. NOT FUN AT ALL

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
I think that is what sets the Balance school apart from the rest.

Balance Wizards don't have the most powerful spells to work with so they have to have something to make up for it.

I always carry balance cards and a wand with we because of the inability of others to defend against them.

This is what makes the Balance School very underrated to me.

Survivor
Aug 20, 2008
You could always use weakness, armor or one of those shields that reduce any attack.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
The balance school does what its title states, "balance" the game. Typically balance is a support role by providing traps, shields with the occasional damage card. As a Master Sorcerer there is a lot we don't have but it's ok because we have things others don't.

I just want a banner in the dorms for balance :)

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
As best as I can tell, there is no balance trap; balance gets "hex", which is basically a trap, but it applies to spells of all schools. Balanceblade is the weakest blade of any class, and likewise applies to spells of all schools. Most of the heavy damage spells in the balance school don't do balance damage. Every other class gets a prism in Wizard City; balance doesn't get one by the end of Krokotopia, so there's no way to convert balance damage out of the school against something with heavy balance defense.

As such, apart from shields, balance damage is by far the weakest of any type of damage. To have no balance shield helps prevent it from being completely useless. If there is an imbalance, the problem is that judgement exists, not that balance shield does not.

Survivor
Nov 29, 2008
~i just want a shield for balance thats all i ask. and oh yeah. btw. other schools spend their training points on the balance tree in krokotopia. unlike balance wizards dont really have to get them since they have been provided by the school. which leads to balance wizards having two instead of one secondary school. is that still balance?

~and yes. balance has the weakest blade. but guess what. they have like three or four of those.

~we can use armor, weakness and tower shields. BUT, not everybody in game has those.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2008
Ice has a 50% shield good for any damage
weakness is a 25% debuff for any damage
black mantra can make there judgement fizzle
leaf has a 400 point absorb
just because you have been beat down by balance dont assume they are overpowered, the problem is with how you duel
overcome , adapt, and conquer

Survivor
Nov 29, 2008
i am not saying i have been beaten by balance. its not for me. but other players. i have a balance wiz as well. LIKE I SAID. NOT EVERYONE has weakness, absorb or even mantra.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
Anyone who thinks that balance wizards are overpowered should actually try playing one first, and then get back to me with their opinion. High level Sorcerers are indeed a terror; but they also seem to be much, much less common than wizards in the other schools.

This is because, I think, that it is very hard to be a low-level balance wizard. Their attack spells are weak, there's not much they can do to pump them up at first, and their shields (when they get them) are the weakest in all the schools. And while I'm not sure, I think that they also have some of the lowest health amounts of any school (outside of Storm, of course). This is all good enough to take on monsters (with some difficulty); but a low-level balance wizard is really no match for anybody from the other schools, at least until they reach Krokotopia or so.

Now, I enjoyed the challenge, and my balance wizard is my favorite. But I can see where other people would be discouraged by how long it takes to build them up. I mean, look around: how many Master Sorcerers do you ever really run into, compared to say, Death, Ice, or Storm mages?

Speaking as a balance wizard, I can also say that you can really drive us nuts with those towers, spirit armors, and other shields that you can use to block us. Also, keep in mind that a balance wizard who has to spend all her mana on blocking you and healing herself is one who never has enough pips to throw that dreaded Judgement spell of hers in your face. And we also hate your wands, too; they really mess with our defensive setups.

In other words, the way for you to defeat any balance wizard is to keep us ... well ... off-balance.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
buzzaroo wrote:
And while I'm not sure, I think that they also have some of the lowest health amounts of any school (outside of Storm, of course).

That is incorrect. The base max health values at level 50, apart from gear, are:

Fire: 1500
Ice: 2025
Storm: 1200
Myth: 1500
Life: 1800
Death: 1650
Balance: 1800

At level 1, the values range from 400 to 500 and are sorted in the same order, with the exception that myth is slightly higher than fire and balance is slightly higher than life. At intermediate levels, the max health for a class is a linear interpolation of the level 1 value and the level 50 value, rounded to the nearest integer.

Well, I haven't gotten any characters to level 50, but all classes follow that formula exactly at the lower levels, and I'd be surprised if the formula abruptly changes, considering that the linear interpolation is always between values at level 1 and 50.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
I wonder why ice is so high, time to make an ice guy even though I do love being balance!

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
The point of the ice class is to be able to take a lot of damage without dying. If the class couldn't actually take more hits than other classes, it would defeat the whole point of the class.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
Really without a balance shield we hopeless against Judgment when they have full pips.

Survivor
Nov 29, 2008
buzarro. i guess you dont go to the arena that much. there was never a day that i never fought a balance guy or girl in arena.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
So what have you been doing for the eight turns it takes for a balance wizard to work up to a full-pip Judgement spell? If you're fighting a high-level balance wizard, and you notice that he/she's banking a lot of pips, don't you think that's a signal for you to do something about it?

If you're a fire guy, you can give their shields a three-turn burn. Myth wizards can Earthquake away just about everything a balance wizard has built up. Death wizards can buff up and blast their way through. Storm wizards can just about do the same. A powerful enough ice wizard might even be able to survive a full-strength Judgement, especially if they have their tower shields up. And if you have a Life wizard for a partner, you should expect her to bring you back after the Judgement is past.

And remember: once Judgement has been cast, that's it. The casting wizard is pretty much pipped out for the next couple of rounds. That should be enough time for you to figure out what kind of revenge you want to dish out.

And, for the record, the Tower spell is a very effective deterrent against balance spells. It certainly works for me! At any rate, it's at least as effective as the shields that balance school gets for itself.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
it would be better. but just today my friend ALura Ashshade and I were dueling. we are both level forty but i went to the library and stocked my deck with multiple tower sheild and absorbs. She used judgement three times and helephant once but i still one the duel, with a little persistance brains is always over brawns

Survivor
Nov 29, 2008
ok. i am a life wizard. so you were saying. "If you have a Life Wizard for a partner, you should expect her to bring you back after judgement." I'm sorry to say but i dont do much team battle. I most of the time do solo. Plus with the hype up damage right now makes it even worst. eight turns? do you think its easy for a life mage to take out someone in 8 turns? With the damage small damage we can do?

buzzaroo wrote:
So what have you been doing for the eight turns it takes for a balance wizard to work up to a full-pip Judgement spell? If you're fighting a high-level balance wizard, and you notice that he/she's banking a lot of pips, don't you think that's a signal for you to do something about it?

If you're a fire guy, you can give their shields a three-turn burn. Myth wizards can Earthquake away just about everything a balance wizard has built up. Death wizards can buff up and blast their way through. Storm wizards can just about do the same. A powerful enough ice wizard might even be able to survive a full-strength Judgement, especially if they have their tower shields up. And if you have a Life wizard for a partner, you should expect her to bring you back after the Judgement is past.

And remember: once Judgement has been cast, that's it. The casting wizard is pretty much pipped out for the next couple of rounds. That should be enough time for you to figure out what kind of revenge you want to dish out.

And, for the record, the Tower spell is a very effective deterrent against balance spells. It certainly works for me! At any rate, it's at least as effective as the shields that balance school gets for itself.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
yeah you know all the element sheilds that balance gets and how they're -50% tower sheild is that too :-o

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
It looks to me like the different schools are designed the way they are so that GAME PLAY is fairly equal for each one, not necessarily PVP. As far as game play goes, it is pretty difficult soloing the game as a balance wizard, especially before you get your Judgement card. Adding a shield against balance damage would make it unfairly difficult.

At the higher levels, being balance also presents challenges. We do not get prism spells. Try going to Dragonspyre and fighting a boss of your own school, but do it without using your prism. Have you ever done that? It takes a LONG time to beat them, and you can only hope you remembered to put the reshuffles and enough healing cards in your deck.

It's true that we do get spells like spectral blast and hydra, but what are some of the first things a balance enemy puts up? Fire, ice and storm shields. We could use a wand from one of those schools to break the shields, but that only eliminates one of them. When hydra is cast, you still have two other shields to deal with, which greatly reduces the damage. You can cast spectral blast, but you never know which kind of damage it will deal out. (it can be either fire, ice or storm)

Besides that, all of our boosts are generic, meaning they can be used for any spell school. While it does help in some instances, in others it's more of a hinderance. If I put up a blade or hex, then the enemy puts a minus 25% on me, I've got no way of getting rid of that minus without also using my boosts at the same time. The same thing holds true for tower shields. If I have my boosts set and the enemy puts up a tower shield, I have to waste my boosts to get rid of it.

As far as PVP goes, we have disadvantages there too. Like mentioned above, we have to save up ALOT of pips to make Judgement powerful. You could cast two helephants against me while I would only have had time to cast one Judgement. Plus, other schools get more boosts than we do. We get the plus 25% blade, the plus 20% blade, and the plus 30% hex (all of which are generic). Since the triple blade and triple trap balance spells are available to everyone via the tree in Krok, other schools can end up with many different boosts that can be piled up and used to really boost up their spell.

So, you have to look at this situation from the proper perspective. No, there is no balance shield per se (tower shield works), but there are other factors that even this out to make it "fair".

Cat

Explorer
Mar 14, 2009
Lore wise there is no balance shield because balance is alittle bit of everything.

Gameplay wise balance enemies are weak to three different schools with boosts to none to make it fair.

in pvp just use lots of tower shields and weakness and dont let them get too many pips.

a balance shield isnt needed.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
I agree with Cat. Although Judgment does sound pretty over-powered, keep in mind it cannot be affected by Elemental Blade/Trap or Spirit Blade/Trap.
As a level 45 Storm Wizard, My fully boosted Triton (Bubble, 2 traps, 2 Blades and Windstorm) will consistently hit for over 4K. I would be surprised if Judgment can do that kind of damage.

Keep in mind OP, the monsters by themselves do nothing, the battles in this game are all about how you use your cards together. If anything, reading this topic makes me feel Judgment is UNDER-powered.

I for one vote NO on a Balance Shield, since Balance is scarcely boostable!

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
Very well said Cat.

I most of the time do solo. Plus with the hype up damage right now makes it even worst. eight turns? do you think its easy for a life mage to take out someone in 8 turns? With the damage small damage we can do?

Um no Glamourboy. I totally don't expect you, being a Life Wizard, to be able to take someone out in 8 rounds. what I expect is a couple Spirit Armors, Tower Shields, Weakness, and lots of heals. Then a very Loooong and boring drawn out battle where if I don't one shot you then you will win by attrition.

Life Wizards have a VERY powerful Strat in 1 on 1 and don't deny it. You also can't tell me that every other school BESIDES Balance has MULTIPLE ways and MULTIPLE spells to one shot you. Balance has only one...Judgment.