Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Botched Garden drops: Is this the last straw?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
I am very much disappointed with the rewards that I yeilded from my Garden yesterday.

I only have one Epic Pet because I cannot afford mega snacks and I am already fed up with the Pet leveling system; too boring. Anyways, I found out that certain plants drop mega-snacks. I took particular interest in the Malestrom Snap Dragons because they drop a rank 9 snack that gives 50 points!

I planted 11 of those and growing these plants was very difficult. Everytime I visit my house these plants have rank 5 pests! of course it cost 25 pet energy to get rid of these pests. And I mean if I log in and like 3 of the plants have pests and I cleared them, four hours later when I return, they are pests again and of course I do not have enough energy to clear then this time.

I used up my two free elixirs on these plants because i was looking forward to my 11 mega snacks. I know some people will say that I planted too many but the fact is these plants use large enchanted soil so if you plant more than four you will use 30 energy to give water and sunlight and 25 for the pest anyways, thereby using up most of your energy.

Anyways after almost two weeks of harvesting and tending to the plants, 7 of them turned elder today so I gleefully harvested them and to my HORROR not even ONE of them gave me a snack!!!

All that time and energy gone down the drain! I know for a fact that these plants give mega snacks because i got it from them BEFORE the updates but it seems like they were "fixed" not to drops these in one of the recent updates.

I even planted Prickly bear cactus and they are suppose to drop a rank 8 snap and all i get are rank 3 and 4 snacks!!!!

What is going on in gardening? At the moment i am gardening for mega snacks but not getting any! So disappointed. I took my last wizard to legend 2 days ago and was hoping to start leveling pets but what am I suppose to do now?

MAYBE i should just forget about gardening and pet leveling and wait on winter tusk but then i might migrate to another game before then. Can somebody please tell me why Malestrom Snap Dragons no longer droping mega snacks?

i KNOW that they used to drop them but in all the harvesting that i did over the past week and few days, I have not received any mega-snakcs from them even at Elder. I want my mega snacks.

Survivor
Nov 07, 2010
Random chance is random?
Sorry you're disappointed, but sometimes the cards just don't fall your way.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Gler88 wrote:
Random chance is random?
Sorry you're disappointed, but sometimes the cards just don't fall your way.

Sorry, but I have to agree with Nico on this. Something is not quite right with some of the plants.

I had a similar problem just in the last couple of days. Not the same plants but I had Rye Bread Fruit bushes (4) that during and including at elder I only received 2 snack biscuits. The rest was 5xp per plant and approximately 26 gold. The snacks are not being harvested anywhere near what they originally were. I have harvested from earlier plantings of this same plant and gotten snacks that would give 25xp to pet. Now they don't seem to be giving much of anything.

KI, do you have an explaination for this issue?

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009

i know something is seriously wrong with the mega snack drops rate from plants, Fallon.

I mean, i ALWAYS get a balance blade from a silver trumpet vine. I have like 31 or more of those on my GM Gardner balance wiz just from harvesting a few and Pink Dandelions drop black pearls and blood moss like crazy, now i have more than enough to craft the Observatory. The ninja figs drop infection and curse (i think) almost on every harvest. yet when it comes to mega snacks, its random? This is nonsense! Why should I plant 121 malesrtom Snap Dragons and not get any mega snacks but i get loaded with perfect sapphires and other reagents?

The only reward that seem to be random about these plants are the Mega snacks and that is not fair!

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
Yeah, gardening is very expensive and energy consuming once you get to the higher level plants. I've been gardening for at least a month and have an adept gardener, but, I've never really got anything worth the energy.

My gardener is a level 51 pyromancer with 65 energy. Depending on how needy my two maelstrom snap dragons, 2 deadly fly traps, and king parsley are and with what pests, I feel like I need to buy an elixir to finish my daily gardening.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
I do not garden, so I can't really say if there is a problem there or not. My friend gardens and she says she does not have any problem getting mega snacks, so I honestly don't know.

However, KI did say, that during the release of Wintertusk, Mega Snacks will be Boss Drops, so that is something to look forward to!

I do miss, being able to buy mega snacks at the bazaar, that is for sure!

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
NicoUzumaki wrote:

i know something is seriously wrong with the mega snack drops rate from plants, Fallon.

I mean, i ALWAYS get a balance blade from a silver trumpet vine. I have like 31 or more of those on my GM Gardner balance wiz just from harvesting a few and Pink Dandelions drop black pearls and blood moss like crazy, now i have more than enough to craft the Observatory. The ninja figs drop infection and curse (i think) almost on every harvest. yet when it comes to mega snacks, its random? This is nonsense! Why should I plant 121 malesrtom Snap Dragons and not get any mega snacks but i get loaded with perfect sapphires and other reagents?

The only reward that seem to be random about these plants are the Mega snacks and that is not fair!

For one thing, the snack the snap dragons drop is called the mystic dragon fruit, it is a myth fruit and it gives 45 xp not 50. I think why the snacks are so rare is that well, the pack itself is $5 and if you can get them so easily from gardening for free then the pack would just sit in the crowns shop and do nothing. I know a couple of people who plant prickly bear cactus (maybe 15-16 of them) ad gets about 1-3 mega snacks each elder harvest. Finally lifes not always gonna be fair, be happy that you even are able to get on every day and tend your plants for the chance of free snacks! :D

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Spiritshadow wrote:
NicoUzumaki wrote:

For one thing, the snack the snap dragons drop is called the mystic dragon fruit, it is a myth fruit and it gives 45 xp not 50. I think why the snacks are so rare is that well, the pack itself is $5 and if you can get them so easily from gardening for free then the pack would just sit in the crowns shop and do nothing. I know a couple of people who plant prickly bear cactus (maybe 15-16 of them) ad gets about 1-3 mega snacks each elder harvest. Finally lifes not always gonna be fair, be happy that you even are able to get on every day and tend your plants for the chance of free snacks! :D

Regardless of what snack the plants are supposed to harvest, the fact is that they aren't giving. I have a second set(4) of Rye Bread Fruit in progress now to see if it happens again. It doesn't matter what the pack costs in the crowns shop. There are a lot of players that are buying them. I I happen to know of a few that are leveling pets too fast not to be buying the Mega Snack Packs. What does matter is that KI set the gardening up in answer to a forum that came up on the issue of using plants for reagents and snacks. Farming for reagents with the number of players farming for them made it almost impossible to get them. I know because when I tried to farm, guess what. NOTHING. Finding enemies that would drop pet snacks was not the easiest thing either and out of 5 battles you might get one snack and that was even changing areas or even realms.

Out of a total of 10 Rye Fruit Bread Bush over the last month, I have gotten 1 Golden Wheat Bread mega snack. The Odds are not good even for random. On the Prickly Bears that I had planted. All I ever got there was the Tasty Biscuit.

I don't expect the plants to harvest mega snacks on every harvest or even on every plant. But I do expect to get them on a reasonable rate.

So yes, something is wrong.

I did not have this problem before all the recent updates. A lot of the problems I have had lately, I did not have before the updates.

I know KI is doing their best to make the game better for everyone, but IS there a possibility that codes are getting entered just a little off? Can Even an accidental switch in the codes cause problems for some and not others?

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
Nico,
Some plants give a higher rate of mega snack drops than others. I know my Maelstrom Snap Dragons (and they drop both the rank 9 Mystic Dragon Fruit and the rank 8 Dragonhorn Melon) have a fairly low drop rate, especially since they seem to drop mega snacks only at the elder harvest. Other plants give very reliable steady harvests.

You may want to try various plants to find which work better for you. Check the fansites to find which plants drop mega snacks, and do a little reading and you will find which plants people favor.

Also, I have noticed that mega snack harvests seem to go in cycles somewhat. Have you ever noticed in your battles that you seem to have periods when you excessively fizzle, or don't get power pips like you are used to, or when you never get critical? After a day or two, or maybe even a week, then you return to more normal rates. Mega snack harvests seem to be the same way. It doesn't mean anything is wrong, it's just the way the random generator programming seems to work for KI.

Think of it kind of like a real garden. You don't always get good healthy seeds when you plant something, so you may get no plant germination, poor growth rates, or poor harvests from those weaker seeds. But then there is always that super special seed that does fantastic! Voila! You just got 5 mega snacks from one particular plant over it's whole life cycle. Good luck with your future harvests!

Survivor
Jan 31, 2010
Wow, this would be very upseting........................................................ SORRY!

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
One other thought for you Nico and Goldendragon, I won't say it's not possible for there to be a problem on one set of servers and not on another. So it may indeed be possible for one group to have a problem and not another. I'm not a computer genius, but I would think that the programming would have more of an effect than the server, but perhaps someone who is more of an expert could answer that.

In any case, make sure you are meeting all the plants needs regularly and are providing as many of their likes as possible. And remember mega snack drops are supposed to be rare and most drop mega snacks only at elder harvests. Prickly Bears seem to be the primary exception to the elder harvest only drops. If you still see no improvement in your harvest rates after a few weeks, then by all means send a ticket to support. Only they will be able to determine if you truely have an issue. Good luck.

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
hobi wrote:
this began after one of the fix it updates

yeah I know so I'm not planting malestrom Snap Dragons anymore :D