Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

In-game Crowns

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 21, 2010
Okay, I think that there should be a way to earn crowns in-game without paying. I mean something like as a quest reward, or a 1% chance of finding crowns in a treasure chest, or a 1% chance of crowns being dropped by enemies. Who thinks the same way?

Explorer
Apr 17, 2010
Yea i have thought of that to cause they have some awesome stuff in the crown shop i wish we could get crowns on quest... PLEASE DO IT :)

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
hyper1337 wrote:
Okay, I think that there should be a way to earn crowns in-game without paying. I mean something like as a quest reward, or a 1% chance of finding crowns in a treasure chest, or a 1% chance of crowns being dropped by enemies. Who thinks the same way?

NO, please no.

Right now the subscribers pay more than they should to support the free players. That is okay, but still the freebies clog certain places those who pay need to complete quests. If we had even more handouts, such as crowns, these players could open up further areas without paying anything, and further clogging up the game. There is enough content for people to play who aren't willing to chip in to help the game be created. No, no crowns for free-loaders.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
Hero
Jul 27, 2009
Squire
Aug 12, 2009
Considering that Crown Items are available as drops around the Spiral, it is as if Crowns are already 'dropped'.

I would, however, agree to Crowns as rewards for Epic level Side Quest Towers, such as I mentioned in my "The Next SUPER BOSS" thread.

Explorer
Dec 12, 2008
Oh you mean like a stipend of 500 crowns every month for just being a subscriber, thus removing any reason for me to complain that you need both a membership and crowns to fully enjoy the game. Personally I feel that if i'm a subscriber I should be able to purchase any crown shop item with gold (excluding those charity items). KI would still be getting my money every month with the sub, i'd be happy, and my wallet wouldn't have to live in fear anymore. Honestly even with a membership this game makes me feel no better than a customer that uses crowns.

Historian
May 01, 2010
hyper1337 wrote:

there already is a way to "earn" crowns. if you invite a friend, using a code or something, every time you or your friend makes a purchase of 10 dollars or more, you earn 1250 crowns?

if you want to learn more, go to hottest topics, and near the top there is "crowns, earn or buy" i think or something like that, go to there, and scroll down to prof. greyrose's post, you will be able to read about it

Survivor
Feb 21, 2010
To everyone who was against the dropping crowns thing: I said a ONE PERCENT CHANCE. And I mean Regardless of level. Its a one in a hundred chance. And as for crown items being dropped, those are ITEMS. I'm talking about actual crowns. Besides, most of the time I just sell the crown Items because they're just not worth it. They're never the Items I want. Have you ever gotten a Permanent Seraph Wings dropped off of an enemy? No. Now do you get my point?

Survivor
Feb 15, 2011
I thought the same i have a post about buying gold with crowns
:D KI please make something like that

Survivor
Apr 09, 2011
Phel wrote:
Oh you mean like a stipend of 500 crowns every month for just being a subscriber, thus removing any reason for me to complain that you need both a membership and crowns to fully enjoy the game. Personally I feel that if i'm a subscriber I should be able to purchase any crown shop item with gold (excluding those charity items). KI would still be getting my money every month with the sub, i'd be happy, and my wallet wouldn't have to live in fear anymore. Honestly even with a membership this game makes me feel no better than a customer that uses crowns.
LOVE IT! i pay and i want some crowns without breaking the bank ik its gonna be a boss drop in wintertusk but those amulets i want and a good wand it wouldnt be to hard to give us some crowns with our subscription :? :? :? :? :? emoticons rock

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
ok if KI gave away crowns to over 12million people they how are they gonna make any money to keep the game going?

you got payroll utilities rent ip services computer time and maintence

the taxes i could go on but i think you get the point.

good idea but then KI would have to raise the crown prices to off set the giving away of crowns.

and those that got the crowns for the survey...
i bet the group that did the survey paid for them.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
NOT a good idea.

I have to agree with some of the others on this issue. We pay subs to play and have paid for crowns if and when we could.

But, as to earning crowns in game, NO. That would not be fair to those that pay HARD EARNED cash.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
You can pay for areas/worlds via crowns. So if crowns were droppable, then people could just farm crowns and play the entire game for free. Even if they were rare drops, there are people out there who farm gold/gear/etc 24 hours (they illegally share accounts to make this happen). This is most often seen with hardcore MMOs.

Your 1% theory is already in effect (sorta). Every year, KI has offered free crowns in some fashion. This year was the survey. The survey didn't offer very many crowns, but if your scenario was implemented, then each wizard would only be able to farm about a 1000 crowns anyway (same as the survey). Excluding the illegal folks I mentioned prior.

As others have mentioned, the best way to get free crowns is the friend code. Extremely easy to do and you could potentially rack up a lot of free crowns. Plus, KI benefits from the advertisement (you!). It's win/win for both.

None of the crowns items are necessary for Wizard 101. All the "crowns only" items are either decorative or designed to create a gameplay advantage (level quicker, boost stats, etc). These items should cost more in addition to subscriptions or "pay as you go" area pricing. It is just like buying a car (subscription) then decking the car out with rims, stereo, cd changer, etc (crown shop).

Delver
Aug 10, 2009
Explorer
May 28, 2009
NO!!!DON'T DO IT!!!
Because then free-to-play players would stock up then buy areas unbalancing the game!