Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Cancelling subscription

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 17, 2011
I just decided to stop renewing my monthly subscription. The game started out fun. I really liked seeing new areas, getting new spells and equipment, and generally keeping things fresh. The further I go though, the less fun it becomes. In DS I'm spending way too much time doing the same little battles over and over again, only told be told "Did not collect <whatever>," because the "drop" rate is below 50%. It's not fun; it's pointless tedium, and it really looks like KI is just trying to stretch a very minimal amount of content out enough to require an extra month's subscription without putting in the effort to make it enjoyable and interesting. From what I hear, Celestia is even worse. As such, I'm letting my subscription run out.

Is anybody else in the same boat? Am I missing something that will make this game fun once again?

Edit: Typo

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
neverworker wrote:
I just decided to stop renewing my monthly subscription. The game started out fun. I really liked seeing new areas, getting new spells and equipment, and generally keeping things fresh. The further I go though, the less fun it becomes. In DS I'm spending way too much time doing the same little battles over and over again, only told be told "Did not collect <whatever>," because the "drop" rate is below 50%. It's not fun; it's pointless tedium, and it really looks like KI is just trying to stretch a very minimal amount of content out enough to require an extra month's subscription without putting in the effort to make it enjoyable and interesting. From what I hear, Celestia is even worse. As such, I'm letting my subscription run out.

Is anybody else in the same boat? Am I missing something that will make this game fun once again?

Edit: Typo

I don't understand what you're after. Are you looking for someone to convince you that you should keep your subscription? I am not a huge fan of the "defeat and collect" quests. You're right, they are annoying. But they are a really small part of the game. I enjoy building the character, getting spells, hanging out with friends, and a variety of other aspects to the game. If this is not working for you, then by all means let it lapse. The point is to have fun and if you're not, you shouldn't keep doing it. I guess I'm just not understanding what you're looking to accomplish with this post.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I feel for you, Neverworker.

This game has gotten boring and tedious many times, took a break, up to a full year, and simply started again when the mood hit.

If you are really bummed out, I do encourage you to stick it out to the end. Once you do pass the initial facepalm of Celestia, your wizard will become even more powerful, more fun to play, and you'll enjoy it a lot more. Besides, other than all this needless aggravation, this game is pretty fun. The game's graphics are really brilliant to watch, the duels are fun to be part of with friends/groups, and at end level, you'll have access to a lot more powerful rewards.

However, I know exactly where you are coming from. Apparently, KingsIsle's one-track mind of leveling/advancing in levels and doing things perfectly synchronizes with the way the general player population thinks. Resulting in something that will never ever change. We are stuck with countless, repetitive, and mind-numbing quests... forever.

At end level, we are stuck being bored and piddling with limited pet training, gardening, and crafting... forever. Simply waiting for another increase in the level cap.

All this aside, you do have to find ways to enjoy it all, since it comes with the package. Make some wizard friends, try a bit more in crafting, pet training, or gardening. Buy some furniture, and decorate your favorite house.

I believe I know EXACTLY what you feel like. If this is your first time cancelling your subscription, I will say it again. I encourage you to just stick it out for now.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Defender
May 30, 2009

Very rude and completely pointless to post something like this.
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Okay, bye.

Back on topic, I got to a point before Celestia came out where I was totally bored with doing the same quests over and over and over again. I have 6 characters and by the last one or two, its gets old quickly. I took about a 3 month break and came back to it with a new look.

For me now, this game is all about challenging yourself. If you're a crafter, can you get the CL or GH house crafted? If you are into pets, can you train and mix your pets to get just the right one for each of your wizards? What about gardening? Or farming for pets/statues/gear? There are SOOOO many different things on here now to occupy your time that it's hard NOT to find something to do.

As far as the tedious tasks of collecting X amount of items from fights, bring in friends. This will make the battles go much smoother and won't seem like you are just mindlessly beating the stew out of some creature for nothing. I have made many friends on here that I spend my time with. We have laughed quite a bit during some of our battles and it only makes things seem like less of a hassle.

If you are a solo quester, what about teaming up with someone for these collect quests, then go about your business afterward. Most people don't mind lending a hand now and then. You aren't required to have someone with you while playing the game, but it sure does take some of the boredom out of it when things start going stale.

Then there is also the option of just taking a breather for a little while. I'm sure this isn't what the company wants but sometimes the "fun" part of the game isn't there anymore and people just need a break.

Good luck with whatever decision you make, but I would advise something. There was obviously some appeal in the beginning or you wouldn't have made it this far. Keep an eye out on the message boards and community news for new things coming to the spiral. One day there may be something that peaks your interest again and brings you back :)