Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Amulets in 101

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 04, 2010
The amulets are a little unfair at higher lvls. Ex. a lvl 35 (any school) can cast hydra with the amulet. This does like 220 damage for each hydra head. (660 total) A lvl 42 balance hydra spell is weaker than this. OK seven more lvls to get a weaker spell, What!!!! This should be the other way around to keep a balance wizards cool spell better for a balance student. There are many other amulets that i could say the same thing about, this was just my example. Wish you would fix the lvl 42 spells to be stonger then the amulets anyone can use at the lower lvl; this makes since to keep a schools big spell better for that particular school. And the new stuff???? wow anyone can use stormlord,ice giant, fire dragon, etc. lol stick to school only amulets that was fair to each schools big gun spell. Bottom line, each school should stay unique. Everyone can use spells they just got an amulet for and did not talk to the spirits each school has to quest through to get their big spells. This should be fixed to keep the game fun for each individual school. Ex. why be a life wiz when i can just get an amulet with a schools best healing spell that is more powerful then theirs. Oh yeah thought life was the only school that was able to heal others. Not

Each school should stay unique to keep teamwork in the game. Its more fun that way.

Hope my point gets across to you KI for the sake of 101
Fire wiz: Jeremy Dragonwraith
Balance wiz: Jeremy Wyrmdust

Survivor
May 10, 2010
Woah man, calm down. First of all, it's dropped from a boss. Second of all, it only gives one card, when you get high enough lvl, you can put like 5-8 of the original ones in there, plus, it's just 90 more total damage. Think about this, you get your balance guy to lvl 35, and you say, hey, i dont think i want to wait 7 more levels to get my 42 spell. i think i want to get it now, and one that does more damage too. See? It's good also.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
trevorking85 wrote:
Woah man, calm down. First of all, it's dropped from a boss. Second of all, it only gives one card, when you get high enough lvl, you can put like 5-8 of the original ones in there, plus, it's just 90 more total damage. Think about this, you get your balance guy to lvl 35, and you say, hey, i dont think i want to wait 7 more levels to get my 42 spell. i think i want to get it now, and one that does more damage too. See? It's good also.

Not to mention that other schools have to wait longer to use the spell in battle (eats up more pips, since power pips don't work).

Trevorking85 is right. The extra damage to item cards is to satisfy the same school wizard, since having the item card would ONLY give them one extra card of the same spell if it didn't. That really wouldn't be an incentive without. Besides amulets usually only come with 1 card of that spell.

Remember, if someone is electing to get a Hydra at lvl 35 that means they are giving up other utility cards like feint, item traps, etc. It is all play styles.

Survivor
May 04, 2010
ok yeah it would cost more pips for another school but thats my point. This is not their school spell, why should it be stronger. Wraith, Helephant;for example, are school only amulets or anyone could get their big spell too. Its _not fair_ to have someone else of lower lvl cast a stronger spell than you of your school type. ok its only one spell, but when i cast minotaur (at lvl 35) on a boss and a higher lvl myth guy casts his spell; then mine hits for more damage, what is this sying about the myth guy LOL!!! (you are weak dude) hahahah. And this is fair? poor myth wiz
you make a good point about the pips but i just dont like that anyone can use my big school spell and it be better then mine is all. That is not fair no matter the pips you use because if i had no power pips it would cost the same amount for me to cast my weaker school spell.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
WyrmRukus wrote:
ok yeah it would cost more pips for another school but thats my point. This is not their school spell, why should it be stronger. Wraith, Helephant;for example, are school only amulets or anyone could get their big spell too. Its _not fair_ to have someone else of lower lvl cast a stronger spell than you of your school type. ok its only one spell, but when i cast minotaur (at lvl 35) on a boss and a higher lvl myth guy casts his spell; then mine hits for more damage, what is this sying about the myth guy LOL!!! (you are weak dude) hahahah. And this is fair? poor myth wiz
you make a good point about the pips but i just dont like that anyone can use my big school spell and it be better then mine is all. That is not fair no matter the pips you use because if i had no power pips it would cost the same amount for me to cast my weaker school spell.

What its saying is that you just wasted a ton of pips on a non school spell. Additionally, a myth using the same minotaur item card will typically cast it for more damage (without school blades) due to gear damage boosts, and be able to utilize power pips. I don't see what the issue is. You can train hydra no matter what school you are, minotaur as well. If someone chooses this amulet, and they aren't myth, they are missing out on a spell that is likely more appropriate for their class. Perhaps I'm not understanding what the issue is. Could you explain it a different way?

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Let us look at this a second:

I use an amulet to cast a six pip spell from another school, doing on average 660 points (to use the above example).

Now consider casting your own school spells, let's say you are death, and casting Vampire at 4 pips. Of those six pips you are using for the amulet casting, we assume an average player with a 34% power pips...so that works out to 8 pips to cast in your own school....or two vampires. You do a total of 700 points (plus damage bonus), or 40 more damage....plus you gain back 350+ health.

So, which do you pefer:
Option 1: 660 damage
Option 2: 700 damage plus 350 heal.

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
I wish they would put out amulets that has the myth, life, and death shields.
PS I prefer option 2

Survivor
May 04, 2010
you are not getting the point because vampire is a 4 pip spell and with a few spell points anyone can get this spell. Hydra is a 6 pip lvl 42 spell just like your wraith. But no one can get wraith amulet (exccept death wizards) It will hit for more damage then the lvl 42 spell, but it is a _school only amulet_ Why should the hydra be able to be used by any lvl 35 wizard and not wraith. This is unfair to balance. If everyone was using wraith, helephant, stormzilla, centaur, colossus, earthquake at lvl 35 you whould see my point very clearly.

Thanks
Balance wiz Jeremy wyrmdust
Fire wiz Jeremy Dragonwraith

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
WyrmRukus wrote:
you are not getting the point because vampire is a 4 pip spell and with a few spell points anyone can get this spell. Hydra is a 6 pip lvl 42 spell just like your wraith. But no one can get wraith amulet (exccept death wizards) It will hit for more damage then the lvl 42 spell, but it is a _school only amulet_ Why should the hydra be able to be used by any lvl 35 wizard and not wraith. This is unfair to balance. If everyone was using wraith, helephant, stormzilla, centaur, colossus, earthquake at lvl 35 you whould see my point very clearly.

Thanks

But there is a level 35 amulet for Centaur. It's called Spirit's Flowering Choker and it does 610-675 for 6 pips life damage. I assume there are others as well, they just may not have as much stock at the bazaar as the hydra amulet. In fact, as I just went back and checked, the 2 Centaur amulets are gone. I don't think there is anything that should be "fixed" here, I just think that whatever drops the hydra amulet is a more common quest so there is always a surplus of that item.

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
But they only get two copies of the card... At MOST. Personally, It doesn't bother me. It's just the same as having one permanent treasure card, except it is actually in your deck.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
WyrmRukus wrote:

Thanks

You are right about the lack of a Wraith amulet, but I love the level 35 boots that give Wraith. Yes, it is more powerful than the school's version, yes, it can be used by anyone level 35. Yes, it was overpowered and no longer available.

The whole idea of gear, be it amulet, clothing, etc that gives a school spell to everyone is that it really doesn't benefit anyone but that school, allowing a boosted card that you can use power pips on...otherwise it is really just a 'show off' spell few use due to the pip cost.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2011
Historian
Jan 05, 2011
I think it's fine, because you also cannot put sun spells, like sniper or gigantic, onto amulet spells either. those spells can make the trained spell quite a bit better than the amulet spells!