Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

No Caps..?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 15, 2010
Okay, so i noticed that theyr ecently changed it so you cant't use caps anymore...I have seen positive and negative feedback on it and am a bit concerned about it. Some people can't express their personality without using caps and that is what helps them stand out from things. Many people are upset about not being able to use certain smiley faces anymore. The positice feedback I have seen is about how more peaceful it is in the Commons now. With people yelling and screaming in caps can be very annoying. Most of the adults feel this way. I myself enjoyed making faces and having loud conversations with my friends and that helped others and me express ourselves. I listened to some people that other day about ideas to compromise with everyone and here are some things I heard:

a) Make an option to change as showing text with or without caps.
b) Make it just so you can use the different smiley faces.
and
c) Make new realms that allow caps and some that don't.

Those are just a few of the ideas I heard and they aren't that bad. Many people want the "no caps" resolved!

Thank You!

~Jessica DragonRider~
~Legendary Sorceress~

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
How about using the menu chat emotes? The there is the time honored x evil grin x way of doing things.

I am thrilled to be able to go through the Commons and have it be more peaceful. I know people still swear. But, it isn't so in your face now. The commons no longer resembles back street alley as I saw others calling it. Players blew it for everyone. The only other alternative I see is menu chat for all. That makes no caps look pretty good IMO.

This is such a non issue. The world does not end if we can't use caps.

Megan-Formerly FIrefan02

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
You enjoy having LOUD conversations? Well, people like me definitely don't want to be around you.

You don't NEED smiley faces in chat. You simply don't. Anyone needing smiley faces in chat is like ... people needing gold plated shoes. Making some realms use caps, while others not, is simply inefficient and a waste of energy, in my opinion. It is fine now.

I am all for people having fun. But there seems to be a very fine line between fun, and nuisance. (Sp that.)

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
How about using the menu chat emotes? The there is the time honored x evil grin x way of doing things.

I am thrilled to be able to go through the Commons and have it be more peaceful. I know people still swear. But, it isn't so in your face now. The commons no longer resembles back street alley as I saw others calling it. Players blew it for everyone. The only other alternative I see is menu chat for all. That makes no caps look pretty good IMO.

Megan-Formerly FIrefan02

Thank you! I haven't been on Wizard101 in a while because of school and this is the first time I've been in the Forum in ages. When I saw this mentioned for the first time, I actually said, "Oh, thank goodness." Then I saw all these ridiculous posts saying how inconvenient this is for them and how they'd "need to get used to not being able to use caps." They really need to sit down; like you said, this is a non-issue. I don't get why people are whining about this! *Sigh* I guess some people just need something to complain about...

Survivor
May 16, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:

Megan-Formerly FIrefan02

Thank you! I haven't been on Wizard101 in a while because of school and this is the first time I've been in the Forum in ages. When I saw this mentioned for the first time, I actually said, "Oh, thank goodness." Then I saw all these ridiculous posts saying how inconvenient this is for them and how they'd "need to get used to not being able to use caps." They really need to sit down; like you said, this is a non-issue. I don't get why people are whining about this! *Sigh* I guess some people just need something to complain about...

Well I think that Wizard101 as a gaming site can do better than this. More filters or some thing but eliminating caps is not the way to go. I agree with you the commons is a much more peaceful place now but now when we are with our friends and we are battling we cant express emotions correctly and i am not talking swear word emotions i am talking faces and other things like
COME ON! or REALLY? and stuff like that, and that is really what makes the game fun is that you can go around at talk to other people and share experiences. I didn't mean to offend you or insult you in any way by writing this i just wish that KI and WIzard101 would choose a different approach to it.

Mastermind
Jun 25, 2009
I do agree that you can't show you personaility anymore because of this but, i report a lot of people and I got to say, this update really has cut down on the cursers.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
I think that the idea is fine, because many people decided to "cheat" the filters by adding capital letters in order to swear or say mean things. However, I love to start sentences with capital letters and also words such as "I", so the way it is now is fine, but I would like it if it could be altered...?

Thank you KI,
Jacob DragonBlade Level 49 Balance wizard

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Darkian wrote:
Well I think that Wizard101 as a gaming site can do better than this. More filters or some thing but eliminating caps is not the way to go. I agree with you the commons is a much more peaceful place now but now when we are with our friends and we are battling we cant express emotions correctly and i am not talking swear word emotions i am talking faces and other things like
COME ON! or REALLY? and stuff like that, and that is really what makes the game fun is that you can go around at talk to other people and share experiences. I didn't mean to offend you or insult you in any way by writing this i just wish that KI and WIzard101 would choose a different approach to it.

KI has been trying their best with filters, but the problem with them is that filters are like chemotherapy (I hope I don't get flagged for this analogy): although they diminish of the "cancer", they destroy innocuous and practical cells along with it. The filters prevent malicious and risque words and phrases from being said, but also eliminate useful words (like numbers) that can also be used to go around the filter. Without caps, people can't do two things that annoy me to no end: they can't highlight letters to say nasty things to others that are banned by KI, and they can't speak in all caps (this is a big pet peeve of mine, when people just speak in all caps to be obnoxious). This is why I feel that removing caps is the best censoring idea KI has ever come up with. You're worried about personality suppresion? I'll just say this: that's what punctuation is for! 'REALLY?' and 'Really?!' both get your point across in the same way. You don't need caps to "talk to people" or "share experiences"; lowercase letters do that just fine. Finally, the only correct use of caps is for capitalizing proper nouns which no one does online anyway, so what are we talking about?

Survivor
May 02, 2009
Well what I herd was that wizard101 shut caps lock down because players were using caps lock in bad words the capital letters were in the bad word the lowercase letters are out of the bad word thats all i herd. Jeremy.L

Between KingsIsle’s commitment to maintaining a family friendly game and the increasing amount of players using the caps to talk around chat filters, it was deemed to be an appropriate action to remove the capitalization ability in the filtered chat. As long as you’re chatting appropriately and within the filters, there should be no issue with communications.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.