Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP Suggestions

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 14, 2008
Everything posted here is referring to RANKED PvP and Not practice PvP.

We play a lot of PvP game types in this family, two of which are card based PvP. Seeing the system in game we figure the PvP system was either 1. tested by non-PvPers or 2. was barely tested. :-)

Our family has been playing the PvP repeatedly through out the day for two days. That is a lot of testing. This has allowed us to hear complaints and suggestions in and out of game as well as try out the PvP more. We would like to give the following suggestions:

Tier Matching
Tier meaning characters within an acceptable level difference, standard in industry being ten levels, but for Wizard 101 I can see a tier being which world has been accomplished/completed.

The current system in ranked matches allows for characters of vast differing levels to compete against each other. According to Headmaster Ambrose, “Ranked matches do attempt to match you with opponents of equal strength, but this is somewhat dependent on what other players are currently looking for a match. As more people play (and over time, as people set out into different Ratings) this algorithm will get better and better at matching combatants.” I take this to mean that matches are more Ranked based and not level based. Yes, sir Ambrose?

May we get the option in Ranked PvP to choose a min and max level, please? This would allow those that wish to compete by rank only to stay with that “algorithm” and give those of us that prefer a challenging battle based on tiers/levels what we desire.

This might also remove a few workarounds I foresee. Ranks meaning very little since anyone can up and flee, means people have inflated ranks or lesser ranks for escaping battles impossible to win (time saver as a friend put it).

To repeat: The only way to insure you duel only people your level is to create the match yourself, set the min and max level. Please give us the option to set levels we will accept in a battle, especially in 1v1.

For us, being able to play with characters near our own characters' level has made the PvP matches FAR more interesting. In two days we RARELY are pitted against players our level in 1v1, and never in 2-3-4v2-3-4. Personally, I've taken to loosing battles on purpose when wee levels are tossed up against me, I feel sorry for them seeing how I can one shot them. We also now flee battles where our characters are clearly out gunned after losing repeatedly to level 45+ that can one shot us.

On a similar note, someone else suggested upping the rank points given when someone manages to defeat another of much greater level. Taking much more rank points if a higher level loses to a much lower level. Their suggestion.

Increased Damage
I read somewhere that the damage was increased to prevent stalemates, situations where people were so evenly matched that the each would run out of cards before anyone was defeated. To fix this the damage of cards was increased to out weigh the heal amounts. Right? This seems to have created a greater problem where people can one shot each other of same level. This equals out to “He who starts first has most pips soonest wins with one shot” Not at all a vision of rewarding and challenging strategy card game playing, is it? Not to us.

We've been talking this one over and so far can only see a couple solutions, which surely there are others, we simply haven't found them yet.

1. Return damage to the normal level.
2. Remove the ability to use pet heals and treasure card heals. This leaves players with the one heal everyone in game gets and forces players to play their class based purely on strategy for that class. Testing this out, we have yet to have a stalemate in 1v1. 4v4 Might be a different matter.
3. OR Or return damage to normal and reduce the amount of heals. However, we think this would cripple the Life wizards as that is what their class is primarily about. Not exactly fair to the one class.

Tickets
We like that system but see a few problems. Players fleeing should not receive tickets. We tested this out twice to see the results and yes, you can farm tickets off level 1 (or any level character) characters. I came across a character that, despite being my characters level, fled from battle six times, immediately, leaving me with empty wins but handfuls of tickets. And a fake ranking.

Someone had mentioned a system of 0 tickets if you flee, 3 if you are defeated, 5 if your opponent flees, 10 if you win. Seems more reasonable?
------------------------
Oh, and the no credit/no ticket bug after a duel, where it leaves you standing in the duel arena with nothing? That is a known problem and schedule to be fixed, yes?

This family's 2cents

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
yep for most of your reasons given here i've decided to quit this game for awhile and check it again in a few months. To me PvP is the best part of any game and honestly i would almost say the pvp system before this one was better. The only good and notable thing i can say about this new pvp system is the matchmaking. Being able to walk around and do things while you wait for a match is great, and being able to see your team and there element is also great. Its just to bad that you dont know their levels or the enemy team levels.

I got pitted with two guys on my team, who were probably level seven. Where the other team actually had two grand masters. one of them being a life mage. To make matters worse, by the second round my entire team had already fled.

So to paint a clearer image. two of my team members had less then a thousand health. where all of their team members had more then to thousand even close to three thousand health.

They have a lot of patching up to do.

Survivor
Nov 29, 2008
i would really like to have the old pvp back. kinda unfair for players who has strong spells. one hit and youre dead. (storm school) hopefully they will bring back the same amount of damage. OR use those damage in battles besides the arena :-)

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
glamourboy wrote:
i would really like to have the old pvp back. kinda unfair for players who has strong spells. one hit and youre dead. (storm school) hopefully they will bring back the same amount of damage. OR use those damage in battles besides the arena :-)

i am a Storm school player and yet i cant cast a single spell becouse my HP are low and i get knocked out before i can cast anything.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2008
I agree - the rankings are completely unmatched in terms of level and hp. I go into a match and they have 1000 hp above mine. There's very little chance that I'm going to win. My son plays other games that have PvP's. For example, you can join a match that's already been made or create your own match. When you create a match, you state which levels can play. Each player joins the room, sees the other players and then at that point, you decide if you still want to join - i.e. "Ready" button. If you're not happy with it, you're allowed to leave. Also if you join a room and you're too high, the host can expel you. That's one way of doing it. The other way of doing it is for the computer to automatically rank each player to similar levels and hp and not allow for such a difference.
I would really enjoy PvP if there was a chance that I could win. I did win yesterday but all of us were about the same level/hp. The other matches, I was completely overwhelmed by the competing team being so much higher. I'm not planning on doing much more PvP until it changes and definately not taking the rankings seriously as it's absolutely not fair.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Matching by levels might make sense, but by HP does not. At level 50, an ice wizard can expect to have about 1000 HP more than a storm wizard.

If you're allowed to pick what levels you'll fight, then many players will pick to allow nothing above their own level, so that they're mostly trying to pick on lower levels.

If you break pvp into tiers, you'll end up getting a lot of twinks just a hair away from going into the next tier, again trying to pick on lower levels.

In most MMORPGs with pvp, the leveling system is there for the express purpose of unbalancing pvp. A lot of players like unbalanced pvp for some reason. Trying to copy what this or that game does will usually just unbalance pvp in a different way.

If one wishes to balance pvp, so that players aren't constantly having to fight other players far stronger than themselves, it's vital to have a hard cap on how strong players can get, and make it so that players can reach that cap fairly quickly. Here, that means level 50 with the best gear you can possibly get (or something that you could at least make a case for being the best possible, if there isn't an obvious best gear choice). Once you're at that cap, you can pvp without worrying about fighting other players vastly stronger than you.

Survivor
Nov 29, 2008
Jack007465 wrote:
glamourboy wrote:

i am a Storm school player and yet i cant cast a single spell becouse my HP are low and i get knocked out before i can cast anything.

The reason why storm school has only a small amount of health, its because their attack cards is the strongest in the game. Which makes it pretty much even.

Explorer
May 21, 2008
Valid points. We will continue to adjust the balance -- and the matchmaking algorithm -- over time, to make the PvP system as fun and engaging as we possible can. Thanks for hanging with us, no PvP system is ever perfect right out of the gate!

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
Delver
Sep 25, 2008
Does anyone know what a good level to play PVP is?

I wish to have the magma collosus pet, but I need to earn tickets first.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
Maryanne20 wrote:
Does anyone know what a good level to play PVP is?

I wish to have the magma collosus pet, but I need to earn tickets first.

You also have to have a high PvP rank in order to be able to get the Magma Collossus. I believe it's a Warlord (rank 900 and above) only item, in fact.

And probably levels Magus and above (30+) is OK for PvP, if you want to be able to win with any consistency. There are a lot more Grandmaster wizards out there these days, though; so if you really want to prosper at the matches, you'll probably want to be advanced enough to at least be able to use the Master (42+) level spells.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
I think a deck for just pvp is needed. First of all it will give all players the same amount of cards, and will only allow x number of each kind of treasure cards and treasure cards for this deck could only be bought from the arena master. I think this will help to solve the problem of chain stunning without getting rid of the stun spells.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2008
you merlen dude why are most people who got to be on the top 100 are life why not ice or strom or any other type and two more things of topic when are the new spells gone be out and when is the you can level up more

Survivor
Nov 29, 2008
You have made it too tough to kill balance by preventing tower shields for anyone except ice school. At least could we craft these shields?

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
indeed, balance is a problem. there is no shield for it, adn the only thing we can rely on is tower shield which is ice school. this forces us pvpers to either train in ice school or fall back on treasure cards which can be rather pricey and broken with a single attack regardless of what it is.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
dmaurer2 wrote:
You have made it too tough to kill balance by preventing tower shields for anyone except ice school. At least could we craft these shields?

You can train for it , but you need I believe 5 training points (for non-ice) to get to it. Also the libraby is selling tower shields at a high price of 450 a piece.

Defender
May 29, 2009

well, they don't prevent people from having tower shields. You can train ice up to tower shield for 5 training points or you can buy tower shields from the library/bazaar. I did both.

dmaurer2 wrote:

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
okay that's it I'm about to blow my head off the arena is so unfair! Every time i go to a match guess what they are like ten or eight levels above me! then they have like a thousand more hp than me! all I'm saying is can you please change it so it can be fair so we can have the same levels playing. i mean no one likes being a veteran rank like me then losing there rank to someone who is a higher level than you (i mean to say way higher level). I know those of you who are grandmasters can not have that happen to you for instance like my fire can't have that happen to him, but for those of you like my storm who is level 33 and my death who is level 8 when those of us who get to veteran then you get matched up with way higher levels then you go down to a private and I'm asking YOU do you like that, well i know i don't it happened to my fire to my storm and starting to happen to my death (happened to my fire when he was a lower level). So please kingsisle please change this for those of us who don't like losing are rank to a WAY higher level than you. and please try to fix the bugs in the arena for instance today i was battling a guy and he had one health left i used my wand attack and he didn't lose, instead i lost.
And about the wild bolts in the arena i don't like how people use them without earning them which is really annoying. I mean when i use a treasure card of it i know i've earned it because my storm has beaten marleybone and gotten wild bolt (i beat it from the help of wolf stormtamer). So i'm just asking the main thing is about the unfair matching in the arena. Thank you kingsisle for taking your time for taking your time to read this.

sincerely, Bradley Sparklethorn

Survivor
May 28, 2009
ok the one thing i hate the most is that you lose the same amount of rank as the other guy got. like one time i was battleing a life grand (i'm also a grand life) it was a LONG LONG LONG LONG battle, but in the end she won. well i lost 30 points of rank 30 points is really hard for me to get (i'm not very good at the arena) and she got 30 points. anyway ever cents then i havent got back out of private. :( i understand why they make us lose points but could they make it not as much. plz. i am just so mad i cant get off private. i want the out fit with wings (for girls) and you have to be like comander or something

anyway KI can you make it less points lost plz

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
MonicaZ22 wrote:
I agree - the rankings are completely unmatched in terms of level and hp. I go into a match and they have 1000 hp above mine. There's very little chance that I'm going to win. My son plays other games that have PvP's. For example, you can join a match that's already been made or create your own match. When you create a match, you state which levels can play. Each player joins the room, sees the other players and then at that point, you decide if you still want to join - i.e. "Ready" button. If you're not happy with it, you're allowed to leave. Also if you join a room and you're too high, the host can expel you. That's one way of doing it. The other way of doing it is for the computer to automatically rank each player to similar levels and hp and not allow for such a difference.
I would really enjoy PvP if there was a chance that I could win. I did win yesterday but all of us were about the same level/hp. The other matches, I was completely overwhelmed by the competing team being so much higher. I'm not planning on doing much more PvP until it changes and definately not taking the rankings seriously as it's absolutely not fair.
you should have 2002 health with all the best storm stuff that enough to live a few rounds you should have ALL FOR PIXIES IN YOU DECK so you can live a while longer. also you can kill fast with your 40 resist wit storm 35 attack boost and 15 storm hitting you boost :)