Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Rooftops of Marleybone

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
It's taking me far too long to beat Marleybone with my Diviner...

No, it's not because my health is low and I keep dying (actually my health doesn't even matter; Storm's powerful attacks make up for my low health and I've had an easier time in Marleybone than with any other school); it's because I can't fly two blocks without getting roped into a match! I refuse to waste mana, so I flee and collect mana wisps. Then I get caught again and I have to collect mana again. I could be standing way out of harm's way and still get caught! It's getting ridiculous! I know having sidewalks on rooftops obviously breaks the illusion, but the monsters walk too close to the "safe zone", and there's constant debris (boxes, cans, garbage, etc.) that's more obstructive than eye-pleasing. I'm the most careful flyer I know (my friends constantly depend on me in instances to get us where we're supposed to go without getting roped into a match) and everywhere else I'm fine (except when it comes to the corners of MooShu, which is a different story), but in Marleybone I'm useless. Does anyone agree that KI should make the monsters walk closer to the middle of the street or make their area of grasp smaller?

Note: Please do not leave obvious advice (ex: "wait until the monsters pass", "don't flee", "Press Esc and Quit", etc.)

Defender
Jul 21, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

No, it's not because my health is low and I keep dying (actually my health doesn't even matter; Storm's powerful attacks make up for my low health and I've had an easier time in Marleybone than with any other school); it's because I can't fly two blocks without getting roped into a match! I refuse to waste mana, so I flee and collect mana wisps. Then I get caught again and I have to collect mana again. I could be standing way out of harm's way and still get caught! It's getting ridiculous! I know having sidewalks on rooftops obviously breaks the illusion, but the monsters walk too close to the "safe zone", and there's constant debris (boxes, cans, garbage, etc.) that's more obstructive than eye-pleasing. I'm the most careful flyer I know (my friends constantly depend on me in instances to get us where we're supposed to go without getting roped into a match) and everywhere else I'm fine (except when it comes to the corners of MooShu, which is a different story), but in Marleybone I'm useless. Could you make the monsters walk closer to the middle of the street or make their area of grasp smaller?
you have NOO idea how right you are! :?

Survivor
May 29, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

No, it's not because my health is low and I keep dying (actually my health doesn't even matter; Storm's powerful attacks make up for my low health and I've had an easier time in Marleybone than with any other school); it's because I can't fly two blocks without getting roped into a match! I refuse to waste mana, so I flee and collect mana wisps. Then I get caught again and I have to collect mana again. I could be standing way out of harm's way and still get caught! It's getting ridiculous! I know having sidewalks on rooftops obviously breaks the illusion, but the monsters walk too close to the "safe zone", and there's constant debris (boxes, cans, garbage, etc.) that's more obstructive than eye-pleasing. I'm the most careful flyer I know (my friends constantly depend on me in instances to get us where we're supposed to go without getting roped into a match) and everywhere else I'm fine (except when it comes to the corners of MooShu, which is a different story), but in Marleybone I'm useless. Could you make the monsters walk closer to the middle of the street or make their area of grasp smaller?

I agree. The mb roof tops are SO hard to navigate around. You cant go half a second without getting dragged in to a fight so yeah wizard101 should definitely fix this problem.

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
A very wise and experienced wiz. told me the secret: Tiptoe like the mouse. I got frustrated and thought I should fly through the rooftops. Sneak and use the location setting feature to climb your way through if necessary. 8)

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
Survivor
May 02, 2009
I agree the faster you go the more chance to get pulled into a battle.

Explorer
Dec 16, 2009
You're right! They should fix it! Every time when I go on that little brown bridge, a monster comes up and I get into a battle. But, I am happy now I finished Marleybone and now in Mooshu ( I face Jade Oni the main boss of Mooshu like 4 times and won each time and I just started Mooshu XD ).

John Thundercaster ~ Fire, Life, and Ice

"Fizzling is learning..."

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
wiler5002 wrote:
Just dont flee.

Why didn't I think of that before?! Oh wait I did, and to be honest I'd rather spend the time it takes to collect mana wisps then to fight in a pointless battle every five seconds. Plus, that's just ignoring the problem, not solving it.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
LittleBitLost wrote:
A very wise and experienced wiz. told me the secret: Tiptoe like the mouse. I got frustrated and thought I should fly through the rooftops. Sneak and use the location setting feature to climb your way through if necessary. 8)

First, just to clear things up I said "fly" because I have a mount (a brromstick to be exact), and technically I don't "walk". I didn't mean I dart through Marleybone recklessly and haphazardly. In that case I wouldn't really have grounds to complain, would I? Anyway believe me, caution is my middle name, which is why wizards tend to rely on me to get from A to B safely. I've gone through the other worlds of the Spiral many times without getting roped once. However, the rooftops of Marleybone are so unforgiving, it's pathetic. Calculus is easier than trying to get to warehouses in Chelsea Court unscathed! I like to think I'm a wise wizard and I know I'm an experienced one, but I've gone through Marleybone quite a few times and the problem is always the same. It's not because I don't learn from my mistakes (I've come up with many different strategies for getting through the rooftops of Marleybone and nothing has worked); it's because it's hard.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
waterman46 wrote:
I agree the faster you go the more chance to get pulled into a battle.

90% of the time I've been roped in Marleybone, I was slowly trying to make my way past or I was simply standing in a place I thought was safe. I try not to go fast period, but I never go fast in Marleybone.

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
It's not that hard to navigate them, but don't try running through the center anymore.

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
I was helping someone in Marleybone (even though I am not there yet.) and I found some good tips:
1. When crossing from one rooftop to another on the bridges wait till there are no monsters on it
2. ALWAYS have all of your potions filled, this means less time collecting mana whisps. (this also goes for all dungeons such as big ben and the two counter weights)
3. Stay with a friend, so if you use tip #2 and this one if you get sucked into battle you can flee then use a potion and teleport to your friend which doesn't take very long.
4. Stay to the edges when possible and be VERY patient
Hope this helps!

Mastermind
Jan 01, 2010
Stay along the edges and be very careful around corners or up ramps. I have taken 6 wizards through there and was able to avoid most unwanted fights.

And if you get pulled in, press esc/quit, then log back in. You may get pulled back into battle but often (sometimes it takes a few tries) they will have "moved on" and you will be able to go on your way without battle or losing mana. Good luck!

Survivor
Aug 27, 2010
well, i have to agree with everyonr that the rooftops of mb are hard to get through without getting caught but, the game wouldnt be as fun if you could go anywhere without some kind of risk. and i have a system of getting around the rooftops. if you stay to the side you can make it without getting caught, the problem is the ramps. just bwait til there are no enemies on or in the area of the ramp, then make a break for it. if you do this but your still getting caught, get used to marking locations or using the teleporters. also, you could get a friend or friends to stay with you incase you get caught so you wont die(i reccomend getting someone who can heal you). i hope this has been helpful.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
there's this glicth which you can go straight through the CENTER and not get sucked in.....

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
wiler5002 wrote:
Just dont flee.

Why didn't I think of that before?! Oh wait I did, and to be honest I'd rather spend the time it takes to collect mana wisps then to fight in a pointless battle every five seconds. Plus, that's just ignoring the problem, not solving it.

This is not a problem you are going to experince it for the rest of the game so be queit and live with it. They are not going to change it just for you. Personnally i find it easy to aviod them with the right strtegy.

Survivor
Dec 03, 2010
eggywig wrote:
I was helping someone in Marleybone (even though I am not there yet.) and I found some good tips:
1. When crossing from one rooftop to another on the bridges wait till there are no monsters on it
2. ALWAYS have all of your potions filled, this means less time collecting mana whisps. (this also goes for all dungeons such as big ben and the two counter weights)
3. Stay with a friend, so if you use tip #2 and this one if you get sucked into battle you can flee then use a potion and teleport to your friend which doesn't take very long.
4. Stay to the edges when possible and be VERY patient
Hope this helps!

Tip # 1 is very helpful. if you are going to rooftop to another wait for the enemies to be far at that board.
Well tip 2 Yes always have a potion full especially when you are in a dungeon
Tip 3 well it is great too if your friend and you are doing the same quests if you get pull into a fight flee get same mana whisps then port back to your friend.
Tip 4 Stay at the side all the time

I used all of those tips and it really work.

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
LittleBitLost wrote:

First, just to clear things up I said "fly" because I have a mount (a brromstick to be exact), and technically I don't "walk". I didn't mean I dart through Marleybone recklessly and haphazardly. In that case I wouldn't really have grounds to complain, would I? Anyway believe me, caution is my middle name, which is why wizards tend to rely on me to get from A to B safely. I've gone through the other worlds of the Spiral many times without getting roped once. However, the rooftops of Marleybone are so unforgiving, it's pathetic. Calculus is easier than trying to get to warehouses in Chelsea Court unscathed! I like to think I'm a wise wizard and I know I'm an experienced one, but I've gone through Marleybone quite a few times and the problem is always the same. It's not because I don't learn from my mistakes (I've come up with many different strategies for getting through the rooftops of Marleybone and nothing has worked); it's because it's hard.

Dude i have three wizards and to of them have been through Marleybone. My tip dont tiptoe run as close as you can to the edge and go really fast. And when you turn hug the wall.

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
Angelocean wrote:
It's not that hard to navigate them, but don't try running through the center anymore.
Thank you dude thank you.

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Dont you have like a hundred mana that should give you about 40 fights.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I know I didn't make this clear from the beginning, but with all due respect I was looking for agreement (which I obviously didn't get from everyone), not advice. I've come up with what everyone has advised me to do at one time or another (except the whole glitch thing, which I'd rather not take my chances with, Daniel) and tried it out. Nothing has worked. I wouldn't create a thread asking for the problem to be fixed if I hadn't tried everything.

@dragonSSO: You obviously like the high probability of being roped into battle with every step you take in Marleybone. I don't, but that's just me.
@eggywig: Well, let me answer these in order:

1. Of course, I'm not a complete idiot.
2. I always have my potions filled and scold people who don't use them.
3. Being a college student and a full-time dancer, I don't play often enough to make friends.
4. I've been roped doing this a few times, and I'm told I have the patience of a saint.
These tips haven't worked for me yet and I've been using them since the first time I've gone through Marleybone.

@addisoncrawford: I don't know if it's my computer, but this never works; even the times Wizard101 has crashed on my computer while in battle. I'd log back on and still be in battle with the same monster. One time I logged on just in time to watch myself die.
@wiler5002: I apologize if you took my sarcasm for maliciousness. I didn't mean for it to be taken that way. Anyway, this is my third time going through Marleybone, and like I said I had no problems in the other worlds. That's why I'm calling this a problem that should be fixed. I might be the only person who actually decided to create a thread about it, but I'm not the only person complaining about this.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2010
This is what i do. whenever i gt pulled into a battle, i press escape and quit, then wait 10 seconds to let the bad guy go away and then press play.it only works about half of the time but in my opinion it is better than fleeing every time.

Jose Titandreamer Level 29 Pyromancer

Survivor
Aug 27, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I know I didn't make this clear from the beginning, but with all due respect I was looking for agreement (which I obviously didn't get from everyone), not advice. I've come up with what everyone has advised me to do at one time or another (except the whole glitch thing, which I'd rather not take my chances with, Daniel) and tried it out. Nothing has worked. I wouldn't create a thread asking for the problem to be fixed if I hadn't tried everything.

@dragonSSO: You obviously like the high probability of being roped into battle with every step you take in Marleybone. I don't, but that's just me.
@eggywig: Well, let me answer these in order:

1. Of course, I'm not a complete idiot.
2. I always have my potions filled and scold people who don't use them.
3. Being a college student and a full-time dancer, I don't play often enough to make friends.
4. I've been roped doing this a few times, and I'm told I have the patience of a saint.
These tips haven't worked for me yet and I've been using them since the first time I've gone through Marleybone.

@addisoncrawford: I don't know if it's my computer, but this never works; even the times Wizard101 has crashed on my computer while in battle. I'd log back on and still be in battle with the same monster. One time I logged on just in time to watch myself die.
@wiler5002: I apologize if you took my sarcasm for maliciousness. I didn't mean for it to be taken that way. Anyway, this is my third time going through Marleybone, and like I said I had no problems in the other worlds. That's why I'm calling this a problem that should be fixed. I might be the only person who actually decided to create a thread about it, but I'm not the only person complaining about this.

my theory actually works, i dont always like to get roped into a battle, it just gives a little challenge, try my theory, it works.

-dragonSSO, legendary pyromancer

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
dragonSSO wrote:
my theory actually works, i dont always like to get roped into a battle, it just gives a little challenge, try my theory, it works.

Obviously your "theory" works; you're not doing anything about the problem. Maybe you don't get the concept of "I've tried everything." I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING. What language do I have to say it in for people to understand?! What challenge does getting roped give you? How many times can you get roped and still have enough life to do whatever instance you were trying to get to in the first place? That's what happened to me, and no, by the time I finally got to the instance I had no potions left. It isn't a challenge; it's a tedious setback. Don't we have a right as paying customers to be able to get to where we have to go unscathed?

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
dragonSSO wrote:

Obviously your "theory" works; you're not doing anything about the problem. Maybe you don't get the concept of "I've tried everything." I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING. What language do I have to say it in for people to understand?! What challenge does getting roped give you? How many times can you get roped and still have enough life to do whatever instance you were trying to get to in the first place? That's what happened to me, and no, by the time I finally got to the instance I had no potions left. It isn't a challenge; it's a tedious setback. Don't we have a right as paying customers to be able to get to where we have to go unscathed?

You cqn leave marks you know.