Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Overpowered schools

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 19, 2009
Here is what EVERY ONE forgets....

The classes in this game can be separated by type. Tank, support, dps, and healing.

Seeing that life is called LIFE one would imagine they specialize in healing.

DPS is made to deal the most damage possible, clearly storm is best for this.

Support is something that can enhance other classes in some way typically through buffs or debuffs. The best bet for this is balance seeing as most of their spells do indeed buff.(I play as balance as well although they can be used to single target DPS it really does not help you out that much in PvE)

Tanking. While tanking is not really something one can do in this game seeing as very few people choose to do so. There is a thing typically known as aggro (SP?) and this is what determines who hits who in PvE (again in most cases I notice it a lot in this game too) I would say Ice is the best school for this due to their life, but they can't really damage as hard as someone in say storm.

Other classes are great for their own reasons but to me there is a clear disadvantage in certain situations depending on who wants to do what. However THAT is the point. The idea of Wizards 101 is to work together for the greater good, NOT to be the world's greatest character over all. Although I like to think I am a very good strategist on balance, and I also like to think that I can take down a good portion of situations in 1v1 I would never think I could take on 4 bad guys vs just myself. I have very few complaints about the game. My only wish for balance would be a higher damaging multiple target spell. Even still I found that teaming up with another player that compliments your class is best. I personally have a good storm player with me almost at all times.

So while some people think it is a pointless argument, those that complain were not truly out of line. They just want to be as powerful as storm but with as much life as a ice student. It is pretty common especially among the youth to want to be all powerful. So while this guys numbers are really helpful in saying..."stop crying your class is more than fine." This description should also help in letting people see that there is indeed a point in every class. Although I still do not see a purpose for Ice as they may have tank gear but in such slow paced turn based combat with almost no target all taunts they would not be very helpful....

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
DavidStronghunter1... wrote:
guess what no schools are overpowered. each school has its own special thing and if ice had more damage it would need less health. you should have also look health wize (base health) and you will see ice has the most and storm has they least so its fair

Well said and so right.

Megan

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
Firefan02 wrote:
guess what no schools are overpowered. each school has its own special thing and if ice had more damage it would need less health. you should have also look health wize (base health) and you will see ice has the most and storm has they least so its fair

Well said and so right.

Megan

Agree 100%

M.RedBlood

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
maxitola2009 wrote:
Dude, you forgot to factor in this fact:

All the weaker schools have much more health and ice has a ton of much better resist and shields. They also have the best level 58 spell and storm doesn't have any DoT spells, and they changed useless bolt.

I disagree with you.
How do you define "weaker"?
Anyway:
Ice does not have the best level 58 spell. Its completely useless PvP. A level 20 storm spell would do more damage if it wanted to, okay?

I wish people would stop complaining about the Wild Bolt. Its about time storm knows what it feels like to be useless. Now every school has their own useless spell. Not to mention, 1000 damage for 3 pips? unrealistic. Then some people would back themselves up with pointing out that the accraucy was only 10%. But it can and was boosted up by treasure cards, blades and gear.

Then they would point out their exceedingly low health and all the resists Ice has. Hey, you said Ice was weak, now your saying its unfair? Make up your mind please. Gear is they key...

As for the DoT...
Storm doesnt really need that because then, it would be a little more overpowering. Besides, thats one of the many flaws for storm. Lack of Dot spells. Just like one of the flaws for ice, low damage on spells.

See? I think i made my point... 8)

Jasmine FrostBreaker
Adept Thautmaturge
Level 28

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
"What hath Kroc-o-topia wrought?" (spelling pun intended)

We really, ... really, .... REALLY ...

need to re-think those cheeseburger pictures on the cash register keys.

*sigh

Note to self: Add texting cell phones and calculators to zero tolerance list for educational institutions.

Second thought: Place them ABOVE firearms.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2010
Phoenix2891 wrote:
af6at wrote:
Numbers don't lie, because they don't care (I sound like Dr. House!)

What I expect to find - All schools are pretty evenly matched

Your right, the numbers dont lie.

af6at wrote:

My Method - Get the minimum and maximum damage for every spell, average them and divide by the number of pips needed to cast to get an average damage per pip for every school.

What I found!

Storm 125.5 Damage per pip
Fire 109.9
Death 90.1
Myth 88.0
Life 86.6
Ice 85.3
Balance 85.1

What a gap! The difference between Balance and Death is 5 points, the difference between Death and Storm is 35!

Every school except Life has at least one spell that averages at least 100 damage per pip.

Taking accuracy into account by multiplying the accuracy % by the damage per pip, I get

Storm 87.85
Fire 82.4
Life 77.94
Death 76.5
Balance 72.3
Myth 70.4
Ice 68.24

I'm not saying that your method is wrong but the way the schools are designed is for a purpose, not to be torn asunder by people with nothing better to do than disect a family game to numbers to which most people either dont care or the few that dont understand why anyone would bother wasting there time.

af6at wrote:

Spells that average 100+ per pip

Fire 9
Storm 8
Balance 2
Death 2
Myth 1
Ice 1
Life 0

Average damage per pip across all schools is about 95, when you take accuracy into account it's about 76 - Death is the "average" school, if any schools are overpowered, it's Fire and Storm, if any school is underpowered, it's Ice

This is the only section to which I have an issue on. Based on your assessment of the schools that have spells that have an average of 100+ per pip, you gave life a 0. I would give life 6 based on the fact that you are not including that healing is still a spell and it follows under the criteria of the section as there is no criteria other than average 100+ per pip.
You also mentioned that Ice is the most underpowered school, to which i have to strongly disagree with. You fail to take into account all the utility spells the Ice has as well as combining there attack spells with blades, traps, second schools, etc.

If this sounds like I'm pouncing on you, I'm not. I'm just sick and tired of all those people that come up with pointless posts about how overpowered storm is or how underpowered life and ice are, etc. No one really cares, its a family game and lets just leave it at that. Cause the more I go on this the worse it will get and then it wont get posted. :P
and i love wizerd 101 :)

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
af6at wrote:

My Method - Get the minimum and maximum damage for every spell, average them and divide by the number of pips needed to cast to get an average damage per pip for every school.

What I found!

Fire 109.9
Death 90.1
Myth 88.0
Life 86.6
Ice 85.3
Balance 85.1

What a gap! The difference between Balance and Death is 5 points, the difference between Death and Storm is 35!

Every school except Life has at least one spell that averages at least 100 damage per pip.

Taking accuracy into account by multiplying the accuracy % by the damage per pip, I get

Storm 87.85
Fire 82.4
Life 77.94
Death 76.5
Balance 72.3
Myth 70.4
Ice 68.24

Fire 9
Storm 8
Balance 2
Death 2
Myth 1
Ice 1
Life 0

Average damage per pip across all schools is about 95, when you take accuracy into account it's about 76 - Death is the "average" school, if any schools are overpowered, it's Fire and Storm, if any school is underpowered, it's Ice

i see you didn't take into account toe number of time any certain school fizzles during a battle.

now when you find that a Pyromancer may fizzle up to 5 times in a row when trying to cast one of those high powered spells then you find the power isn't as great as it sounds.

due to fizzle i have lost a battle i "should" have won easily.... and i ended having to do the whole blasted dungeon again.

Explorer
Dec 21, 2008
Starwind13 wrote:
Here is what EVERY ONE forgets....

The classes in this game can be separated by type. Tank, support, dps, and healing.

Seeing that life is called LIFE one would imagine they specialize in healing.

DPS is made to deal the most damage possible, clearly storm is best for this.

Support is something that can enhance other classes in some way typically through buffs or debuffs. The best bet for this is balance seeing as most of their spells do indeed buff.(I play as balance as well although they can be used to single target DPS it really does not help you out that much in PvE)

Tanking. While tanking is not really something one can do in this game seeing as very few people choose to do so. There is a thing typically known as aggro (SP?) and this is what determines who hits who in PvE (again in most cases I notice it a lot in this game too) I would say Ice is the best school for this due to their life, but they can't really damage as hard as someone in say storm.

Other classes are great for their own reasons but to me there is a clear disadvantage in certain situations depending on who wants to do what. However THAT is the point. The idea of Wizards 101 is to work together for the greater good, NOT to be the world's greatest character over all. Although I like to think I am a very good strategist on balance, and I also like to think that I can take down a good portion of situations in 1v1 I would never think I could take on 4 bad guys vs just myself. I have very few complaints about the game. My only wish for balance would be a higher damaging multiple target spell. Even still I found that teaming up with another player that compliments your class is best. I personally have a good storm player with me almost at all times.

So while some people think it is a pointless argument, those that complain were not truly out of line. They just want to be as powerful as storm but with as much life as a ice student. It is pretty common especially among the youth to want to be all powerful. So while this guys numbers are really helpful in saying..."stop crying your class is more than fine." This description should also help in letting people see that there is indeed a point in every class. Although I still do not see a purpose for Ice as they may have tank gear but in such slow paced turn based combat with almost no target all taunts they would not be very helpful....

You said it yourself, Ice is meant for tanking. We use our taunt spells and snow angel to recieve incoming attacks so people with lower health (like storm) can focus on attacking, instead of defending all the time to keep their little health. Thats what ice does. We shield, have high resist, and high health for these reasons.

And yes there is a point for all classes. I couldnt have phrased this better myself. Very well put.

Survivor
Nov 27, 2009
Hey you make ice sound lame, ice is a million times stronger in numbers and its about stadigy (i know i spelled it wrong ) with ice. :x :x :x

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Phoenix2891 wrote:
af6at wrote:

Your right, the numbers dont lie.

af6at wrote:

What I found!

Fire 109.9
Death 90.1
Myth 88.0
Life 86.6
Ice 85.3
Balance 85.1

Storm 87.85
Fire 82.4
Life 77.94
Death 76.5
Balance 72.3
Myth 70.4
Ice 68.24

I'm not saying that your method is wrong but the way the schools are designed is for a purpose, not to be torn asunder by people with nothing better to do than disect a family game to numbers to which most people either dont care or the few that dont understand why anyone would bother wasting there time.

af6at wrote:

Fire 9
Storm 8
Balance 2
Death 2
Myth 1
Ice 1
Life 0

This is the only section to which I have an issue on. Based on your assessment of the schools that have spells that have an average of 100+ per pip, you gave life a 0. I would give life 6 based on the fact that you are not including that healing is still a spell and it follows under the criteria of the section as there is no criteria other than average 100+ per pip.
You also mentioned that Ice is the most underpowered school, to which i have to strongly disagree with. You fail to take into account all the utility spells the Ice has as well as combining there attack spells with blades, traps, second schools, etc.

If this sounds like I'm pouncing on you, I'm not. I'm just sick and tired of all those people that come up with pointless posts about how overpowered storm is or how underpowered life and ice are, etc. No one really cares, its a family game and lets just leave it at that. Cause the more I go on this the worse it will get and then it wont get posted. :P

Well, I think the OP did NOT waste his time. I found it very informational. He was talking about damage, not healing and utility. Years ago, near the start of Wizards101, there were multiple discussions and threads about the fizzle rates, and those were some 'hot' discussions.

Looking at the chart, seeing Storm being the top nearly across all boards, makes me think that the fizzle rate may not be so bad afterall.

I found it very interesting. Thank you.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Foxfyr, your cynical little 'wanna-be pro' statements do nothing. Should have just stopped while you *were* ahead. If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything at all.

Survivor
May 17, 2010
af6at wrote:

What I found!

Fire 109.9
Death 90.1
Myth 88.0
Life 86.6
Ice 85.3
Balance 85.1

Storm 87.85
Fire 82.4
Life 77.94
Death 76.5
Balance 72.3
Myth 70.4
Ice 68.24

Fire 9
Storm 8
Balance 2
Death 2
Myth 1
Ice 1
Life 0

The problem with your analysis, as nice as it was, is that it only deals with damage output. There are other factors used to determine the power of the school, including base health, power pip chance, and resists. Fire and Storm deal lots of damage, granted, but that power is offset by low health, lower power pip chance, and lower resists.

Explorer
Jul 08, 2010
Dude I get what your saying and everything. However you forgot one tiny little detail. Each school has their own special advantage!!! I am a Storm wizard and I know storm has it's advantages and disadvantages.
Key: A= Advangage
D= disadvantage
Storm: A= Most powerful spells in the entire game.
D= Low health and accuracy.
Fire: A= 2nd most powerful in the game with DOT
D= Accuracy mainly.
Ice: A= Extremely high health.
D= Very low attacks.
Myth: A= Minions rule!!!
D= Attacks are.....well not the strongest.
Balance: A= Special powers that can do different things(with accuracy etc.) then other schools.
D= No shield or traps for it.
Life: A= Healing, health, and accuracy.
D= Not many attacks plus they're not powerful(except Forest Lord)
Death: A= Attack while healing which is awesome!
D= Attacks could be strong but without traps...not really.

This is what makes each of the schools so special. KI did this on purpose. If each of the school had the same advantages and disadvanges it would be really boring. You couldn't really show what your made of. Every day I get jealous of another wizard's health and how cool they are, but I get to show off my storm skills. People actually compliment me and say I'm a great wizard and I compliment them back. This is what makes the "Overpowered" schools so special as you say. Yes they have a lot of power but their bad disadvantages make up for that so don't complain. I am a strong storm wizard if I do say so myself and I'm proud of that. I have my advantgaes and disadvantages. It's what keeps everything fair and fun in this game. So don't complain!!

~Kayla Master Diviner. (level 47) - I can't wait for storm lord!!
~ Emma Stardust Journeygirl Theurigist. (Level 18)

PS. I knew that having a life wizard would mean having low and little attacks but with high health. I knew having a Storm wizard would mean very little health and accuracy so I made 2 opposite like wizards to experience both sides. This is what makes Wizard101 so special and I'm proud to post this.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2010

I totally agree. I don't care what numbers say. All the school are evenly matched. I mean, life and ice aren't underpowered, they have all these other cool powers. Storm isn't the total best, because, haven't you noticed they ALWAYS fizzle? Basically it just doesn't matter.Stop worrying if your school is underpowered,because it isn't. What you should be worried about is how you'll get past that next boss, or get through that area. That's my opinion, and you should believe it.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2010
Every school is way overpowered, you just have to find and master that power.i totally agree

Survivor
Feb 13, 2010
Zzatdragon wrote:
Firefan02 wrote:

Well said and so right.

Megan

Agree 100%

M.RedBlood

so true
Jonathan D.

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
All the class stuff aside, how do these people have the time to figure out the math of the whole game? I'd never be able to figure out those numbers!