Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bandwidth Killer

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 22, 2010
I absolutely love and adore this game.. it's one of the best around. my only problem? not everybody has unlimited bandwidth or has a massive peak quota allowance for their bandwidth. and what's the problem with that you ask? well... this game chews it like crazy.. i like to play perhaps up to 6 hours a day but that won't always happen because in that time the game can use anywhere up to 2GB of bandwidth or even 3 if i enter a area that requires lots of patch updating. the creators of this game should take this into serious consideration as I'm adamant that I'm not the only one with this problem.
thanks for reading :-)

Defender
Feb 11, 2010
That's actaully one of the beautiful things about wizard is that you don't have to patch huge if you want to reinstall for whatever reason or is a new player just trying out the game.

In a very short amount of time you are able to jump straight into wizard and run it with smooth 3d gfx without having to sit for hours on end doing a major patch.

I belive this is very intentional and doesn't see it likely to change as it works out really well. And after you've been to an area, loaded and object or whatever one time you don't have to again.

Personally i don't know what kind of phone company you use for your banwith connection or what country you are in, but it has to have been like 10 years or more since i heard of restrictions on your internet other then speed.

Maybe look around for a better offer from a phone company that's stepped into to the technology age like the rest of the world did 10-15 years ago.

Survivor
Nov 22, 2010
Ok fair enough (FYI, dial up barely came out 15 years ago rofl!) but yeah i do live in Australia hahaha xD do i hear the words crappy internet? but yeah on certain "other mmorpg's", I could have extreme slow internet but it manages to process and patch high textured details with relative ease of slow stream wireless broadband so... yeah :p

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
From what I recall, the whole game takes up 4-5 GB. Which, yes, all have to be downloaded. The initial engine is only a few megabytes, which is what you download when you first install. All of the graphics, textures, animations and whatnot are downloaded afterwards on a "need to" basis.

However, this means that the first time you run into areas, you will download a LOT of data - as evidenced by the little swirling download button in the top left corner.

Once it has all been downloaded, however, you can play freely, and only download stuff when you run into new pets or when the game gets patched.

Survivor
Nov 22, 2010
well at the moment i'm 3 quarters of the way through kroktopia and almost upto marleybone so i hope not to much more needs to be downloaded besides that and celestia xD

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
No problems here with my net. I couldn't quite understand everything you said before, but I am guessing you have dialup? If so, then that alone is a huge problem. Dialup was never meant for "real" gaming. If you have something better like DSL, or even cable, then you may be experiencing problems with the company, in that too many people are using the same server ISP that you are on. One example of this is Youtube at 6PM USA Central during the weekday. Too many people are trying to use it at once, causing a slowdown of a 30 second video you wanted to show your IRL friend. If you are using wireless card with your DSL, or Cable, then that itself could be a problem too. Poor signal will have same effect.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
deadmagicka wrote:
well at the moment i'm 3 quarters of the way through kroktopia and almost upto marleybone so i hope not to much more needs to be downloaded besides that and celestia xD

You will need to download Grizzleheim, Mooshu, Dragonspyre AND Celestia. Celestia in itself is huge. All enemies in the areas also have to be downloaded, as do NPCs. Adds to this that you will run into pets that need to be downloaded; and you are pretty much guarenteed to download a bunch of graphics whenever you enter someone's house.

You still have huge areas to go, unfortunately.

My suggestion that you find a high level friend who's willing to help out, and then have them take you on a tour of the Spiral. That way, you'll have most of the game downloaded, which should save a lot of pressure on your bandwidth during normal play.

For ease and speed; I suggest you only enter the various worlds, and let enemies and NPCs download as you encounter them.

If you want to be a perfectionist, you can ask people with huge homes to let you come and see them. That should give you a lot of furniture models as well.

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Actually I think they did a pretty good job with it. Some tricky business loading-on-demand. Ever notice how things in the Bazaar load when you peruse them.