Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why is Ice Colossus damage so low?

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
liamlew wrote:
gtarhannon wrote:
So, right off the bat, I'm not suggesting anything be changed. I am extremely curious, however. I've been compiling the numbers and information for each class spell into a spreadsheet and applying some formulas looking for trends and other information. Why? Well, I'm really geeky and I actually enjoy that sort of thing. But, I came across something that I thought was bizarre. On single hit damage spells (such as colossus and helephant, etc.) I calculate two numbers. An average damage per pip, and point spread number. The average damage takes the low + high, divided by two, and then divides that by the rank of the spell. The spread is just the high minus the low.

Generally, average damage per pip increases slightly as the rank of the spell increases. While I have noticed that some rank 6 spells dip slightly (for instance, phoenix at rank 5 is 111 per pip and helephant at rank 6 is 110.833), Colossus at 83.333 damage per pip is the only rank 6 spell that is lower than the rank 1 ice beetle at 85 damage per pip. Does anyone know why that is? Has this already been talked about somewhere and perhaps KI has already addressed it? I am eager to understand the why of this particular damage decision as it seems very out of place in comparison to every other class.
Colossus needs to have more damage because Frostbite is the rank 5 ice spell but then just makes Colossus a waste of pips. When Frostbite is used it does 560 damage. Colossus can sometimes go lower then that amount.

Hey Liamlew. Frostbite only does that much damage because it is a damage over time spell, thus requiring you to wait 3 turns for full damage, as well as making traps somewhat of a waste. Colossus delivers all its damage at once, therefore allowing you to effectively use traps and blades.