Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Game Card Purchases / GameStop

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 11, 2009
I reside in Simi Valley, CA. I have purchased game cards at Target, 7-11, CVS, Best Buy RiteAid & BlockBuster. I have never been charged state tax at any of these stores. When I purchased a normal game card and then later an Epic Bundle at GameStop, I was charged state tax. Please advise on this anomally as I believe it is against the State Franchise Laws. Thank you!

Defender
Oct 14, 2008
Survivor
Jul 11, 2009
Luna0616, that is not the issue here. I'm happy to have the card too. I'm talking about GameStop overcharging for Wizard101 product. They don't charge taxes on other gift cards but they are for Wizard. I want to know if they are doing so illegally. Really looking for an answer here a KingsIsle representative... Thank you, Jo

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Lady Jo,

I noticed the same. I live in Illinois. I have bought gift cards other places and Game Stop was the only place I was charged sales tax.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 58 Life

Survivor
Aug 04, 2009
My Grandma lives in North Carolina and went to a gamestop store to get it for me. when she got there she asked if the had the 40$ gift card and they had NO IDEA what she was talking about. so she went home and looked on the gamestop website. it said it was ONLY avaible in Texas. Is this true?
Plz reply KI.

Community Leader
jhen586 wrote:
My Grandma lives in North Carolina and went to a gamestop store to get it for me. when she got there she asked if the had the 40$ gift card and they had NO IDEA what she was talking about. so she went home and looked on the gamestop website. it said it was ONLY avaible in Texas. Is this true?
Plz reply KI.

I know few people in southern states not only Texas that have gotten the card. Maybe they haven't gotten to your store yet? Sorry I don't know where they were shipped.

Lady Jo,
Have game stop always added tax or add tax to other cards? Sorry I do not know never go there myself. If so then it would be on the game stop and that company. Pretty sad as I have never been charged tax for game cards.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
LadyJo wrote:
I reside in Simi Valley, CA. I have purchased game cards at Target, 7-11, CVS, Best Buy RiteAid & BlockBuster. I have never been charged state tax at any of these stores. When I purchased a normal game card and then later an Epic Bundle at GameStop, I was charged state tax. Please advise on this anomally as I believe it is against the State Franchise Laws. Thank you!

Hey LadyJo...

I just bought two cards at Gamestop, they charged me $39 and no taxes for each. Now, I bought these about an hour away from you in Santa Monica near where I work...so the same state laws. They did rip you off, and you should ask a manger at your store.

Survivor
May 23, 2009
I do believe that KI is losing out by not allowing the Epic Bundle to be sold online. I do almost everything online as a lot of people in today's society. It would be a lot more profitable for KI to allow all purchases of all kinds online. Just a suggestion!

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving day!

Daniel

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
I honestly don't understand why we can't buy gift card equivalents online - or at least recieve something close to the same benefits. I do feel a bit cheated out at times, and I think Kingsisle would sell a fair bit more if they added small perks to crown purchases - even if the offers are only temporary.

And yes, I know that the online purchasers do at times have the benefit of sales - but at times, I'd really like some of the rare pets, mounts and stuff instead... I want that griffin.