Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Player Submitted Ideas for Improving PvP

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I would like to see PvP drastically improved from its current playability, and so I am creating this thread hoping people will post what needs to be done to make PvP more fair and more enjoyable.

My ideas are as follows:

1. Dispels, beguiles, traps, and shields should always be lagged so that they cast at the beginning of the next turn of play. This is to say that if your side goes first and you cast a dispel on the side going last, the dispel does not get placed upon the side going last until after they get their turn to play. All of these things get placed at the start of the next turn in order to hide from everyone their having been cast.

2. The larger the PvP match the more damage gets scaled down. 1v1 tables would be at full damge, 2v2 tables at 80%, 3v3 at 60%, and 4v4 at 40%.

3. If my first idea isn't implimented, I'd like to see the side going first suffer a permanent 20% damage reduction.

4. The ranking system needs to be changed so that players can no longer drop in terms of the titles they have earned. A win should be given two points, a loss should subtract three points, but you can never go below the number of points required to retain your title. Something like that anyway.

5. There should be a level requirement to obtaining ranks. The higher level your character is the higher its rank potential should become. This means that low level characters would no longer be able to go around in the game with the highest PvP rank titles under their character names. Characters who already have such titles before this goes into effect would however be able to retain their current title.

6. Players should be allowed to reset their win / loss records to 0 / 0.

7. Every time a new rank is achieved a players win / loss record instantly starts again at 0 / 0.

8. PvP ratings leader boards should be added to the game. Every school should list its top ranked 50 to 100 players by both current PvP points and win/loss percentage. Only the PvP points count in terms of position on the board though.

9. New entire table bubbles should be introduced into the game. The default starting bubble in PvP should be a global bubble that reduces damage in half. Ideas for other new bubbles include one that prevents charms, traps, dispels, and beguiles from being played until someone changes the bubble to something else. Another bubble should increase everyone's damage.

10. A.I. opponents should be introduced into PvP so that players dont have to wait forever for matches to start. A.I. matches should deduct slightly more when players lose and add slightly more when players win. A.I. players should be used when matches take longer than 10 minutes to begin. That is to say if three people have been waiting for a 4v4 game at one table for at least ten minutes and two people have been waiting for a 4v4 PvP game for at least ten minutes then they could be matched together with A.I. team members added in. After ten minutes of waiting players should be given warning that A.I. team members might be added, and that PvP wait time will now be under five minutes.

These are my ideas, comment on them as you will and add your own ideas to this thread as well. I would just like to see PvP be made both moth fair and more fun.

Champion
Jan 27, 2009
I'm Sorry but every single one of these ideas (with the exception of one) are horrible
1. There is a strategy in trap and blade casting, this would destroy it.
2. Matches would take forever, the primary cause of loss would be running out of cards.
3. If the team going first had even a 10% handicap, it would cause them to lose 7/10 matches. Remember, you go first about the same number of time as you go second.
4. This would make it so that anyone could make it to warlord even if they lost every single match, warlord and pvp titles are earned by strategy, not participation.
5. Um no, your skill in pvp is not determined by your level, it's determined by strategy.
6. I could almost see this but i would just do it by having everyone start at a rank of 0 so you can't get into the negatives.
7. This makes absolutely no sense, does your grade stare over in a class every time you get a new grade? No
8. Those with the highest win loss ratio should be on a board, not those who have played the most matches.
9. See #2 and also look at star school spells.
10. Ai's would be beaten by players almost every time, this could only work in practice PvP.

Defender
Dec 21, 2008
So, the paying low levels should be treated bad? I am sry but all your ideas but the first one are really horrible!

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
akifoniq99 wrote:
So, the paying low levels should be treated bad? I am sry but all your ideas but the first one are really horrible!

The low level players that are complaining often are playing in the arena before they even qualify to get the PvP quest. We are largely talking about grandmaster and epic players who create low level characters for the soul purpose of exposing high level advantages on low level characters and largely cause the can not hack it at high level competition levels. Depending what school you are playing at some character levels you will obtain some advantages over others. As a low level storm, accuracy and health are likely to kill you rather fast until you can level up a bit and get some accuracy equipment and stronger damage cards to reduce the number of hits you face per fight. It is silly to try and improve things for low level characters in PvP because they simply have not grown into their higher level strengths yet.

Survivor
Jan 21, 2010
seasnake wrote:
I would like to see PvP drastically improved from its current playability, and so I am creating this thread hoping people will post what needs to be done to make PvP more fair and more enjoyable.

My ideas are as follows:

1. Dispels, beguiles, traps, and shields should always be lagged so that they cast at the beginning of the next turn of play. This is to say that if your side goes first and you cast a dispel on the side going last, the dispel does not get placed upon the side going last until after they get their turn to play. All of these things get placed at the start of the next turn in order to hide from everyone their having been cast.

2. The larger the PvP match the more damage gets scaled down. 1v1 tables would be at full damge, 2v2 tables at 80%, 3v3 at 60%, and 4v4 at 40%.

3. If my first idea isn't implimented, I'd like to see the side going first suffer a permanent 20% damage reduction.

4. The ranking system needs to be changed so that players can no longer drop in terms of the titles they have earned. A win should be given two points, a loss should subtract three points, but you can never go below the number of points required to retain your title. Something like that anyway.

5. There should be a level requirement to obtaining ranks. The higher level your character is the higher its rank potential should become. This means that low level characters would no longer be able to go around in the game with the highest PvP rank titles under their character names. Characters who already have such titles before this goes into effect would however be able to retain their current title.

6. Players should be allowed to reset their win / loss records to 0 / 0.

7. Every time a new rank is achieved a players win / loss record instantly starts again at 0 / 0.

8. PvP ratings leader boards should be added to the game. Every school should list its top ranked 50 to 100 players by both current PvP points and win/loss percentage. Only the PvP points count in terms of position on the board though.

9. New entire table bubbles should be introduced into the game. The default starting bubble in PvP should be a global bubble that reduces damage in half. Ideas for other new bubbles include one that prevents charms, traps, dispels, and beguiles from being played until someone changes the bubble to something else. Another bubble should increase everyone's damage.

10. A.I. opponents should be introduced into PvP so that players dont have to wait forever for matches to start. A.I. matches should deduct slightly more when players lose and add slightly more when players win. A.I. players should be used when matches take longer than 10 minutes to begin. That is to say if three people have been waiting for a 4v4 game at one table for at least ten minutes and two people have been waiting for a 4v4 PvP game for at least ten minutes then they could be matched together with A.I. team members added in. After ten minutes of waiting players should be given warning that A.I. team members might be added, and that PvP wait time will now be under five minutes.

These are my ideas, comment on them as you will and add your own ideas to this thread as well. I would just like to see PvP be made both moth fair and more fun.

Some of your ideas are not bad but they might end up ruining pvp even more and I'd like to change #10.
So... if you cant get demoted whats the point of pvp? then EVERYONE can be a warlord
There should a way to determine who should go first like a rock paper scissors kinda thing.
As for #10 i like the facing A.I enemies if a team cant get a match but i think it shouldnt effect your rank. Just gaining tickets sounds like a better idea but it should be less than an actual match.

Mastermind
Jan 25, 2010
1. No.
2. No.
3. Why?
4. Yea!
5. ?
6. Yea um no fair.
7. Nope, then whats the point in points?
8. The losses would be humiliated, but I like the wins idea.
9. ?
10. Nah.