Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Reporting, fake reporting, tell me what goes!

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 22, 2009
So I've always wondered, you know, when some person comes along a reports you for no reason at all, a.k.a false reporting, do they REALLY get banned? Or is that just what everyone says to make the reporter feel bad. I'm not sure what happens and i'm really dying to know. Thanks. :)

Caleb Walker Level 50

Jack Rider Level 48

When you report someone, or you are reported, a message is sent directly to Mr Lincoln that includes the chat logs of everything that was said before and after that report.

Mr Lincoln then reads the log and assess the situation. He determines how bad the offense was, looks up prior offenses for the reported individual, and based on that assessment he issues sanctions such as muting or banning and sends an email to the offending account explaining the violation and the sanctions.

If the report was falsely made, that is determined as well, and the player who made the false report is investigated as to whether or not they have made previous false reports. False reports are just a egregious as valid ones, and similar sanctions can be levied against repeat offenders of false reporting.

Everything that a player enters into the chat window is logged. These larger chat logs are also routinely checked for those infractions that are not reported.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
What I would like to know, is when we do make a report, which it has to be serious in nature for me to even submit one, why do we not get a email reply on whether or not the situation was taken care of or what actions were taken to prevent this situation again??

Christina BlueEyes

dawgpoundprincess wrote:
What I would like to know, is when we do make a report, which it has to be serious in nature for me to even submit one, why do we not get a email reply on whether or not the situation was taken care of or what actions were taken to prevent this situation again??

Christina BlueEyes

We cannot and will not divulge the nature of any action that is taken against a third party.
Be assured that all reports are investigate, both the real ones and the false ones.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Defender
Aug 11, 2009
Zeke, will you tell us if the report that we submitted is a false report?

It could be a generic message that could be generated.

In that way we would not make the same mistake again and end up in trouble and be muted or banned.

Thank you.

Have fun!!! :) :) :)

Survivor
Apr 29, 2010
:x Ihate it when lower levels ask you to be their friend by spamming you with the question, then when you say no,.......they REPORT YOU its happen to me only twice but still, it is very anoying. People who file false reports should be the ones who get BANNED

50 GrandMaster

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
Remember that a false report is in itself, something that can get you in trouble.

That means, just like any other action you might take on Wiz 101 that could get you in trouble, KI will send an e-mail to the account registered for your wizard letting you know what you did wrong.

If this is False Reporting, It is reasonable that you will start off with a warning saying something to the effect of: "Such and Such is a false report. Please do not report this activity."

Now if you were spamming the report function, or made a serious false accusation, you might get into serious trouble from the get go, but as a general rule KI will start off by letting you know you did something inappropriate.

Defender
May 30, 2009
rolo527 wrote:

In that way we would not make the same mistake again and end up in trouble and be muted or banned.

Thank you.

Have fun!!! :-) :-) :-)

If you do a little searching on here you can come up with this...

1. How do I play?
2. How do I Chat in Wizard101?
3. How do I get Text Chat?
4. How do I get Open Chat?
5. How do I get Training Points?
6. What are Realms?
7. My game is Lagging, what can I do to fix this?
8. How do True Friend Codes work?
9. If I quit, will my Wizard be deleted?
10. What happens when I get Reported?
11. What is considered a Reportable Offense?
We appreciate that our players want to make Wizard City the best it can be, and we've placed the tools in your hand to report players for inappropriate behavior. We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use. The old story of “the kid that cried wolf” has a lot of bearing in this situation and we trust that all reports received by players are valid and require support intervention.

12. What is NOT considered a Reportable Offense?
Because false reporting can be construed and/or used as harassment of other players, we’d like to take a moment to ensure you are aware of what does NOT fall under the category of a reportable offense:

“S/he falsely reported me” or reporting someone for false reporting (2 wrongs don’t make a right)

“Won’t leave my house” (pick your friends wisely and avail yourself of the non-porting option)

“Being rude” (We’re sorry, we can’t enforce good manners. Use the ignore button liberally &/or change realms. It’s wholly up to you to choose to stay around someone that’s not nice to you.)

“Chain Stunning” (admittedly, it’s not much fun for the receiving team, but it’s not a violation of the game rules).

“Scamming” (KingsIsle will NEVER ask for treasure card(s) in exchange for a code. Trading “cards for codes” is done at the players’ own risk. Codes are either fully public or one time use)

“Spamming” (Although the Terms of Use mention spamming, it’s related to email/web posts. Yeah, it’s annoying in game and never of profound statement. Refer to “Being Rude”).

You don't need an email saying you made a false report. Read what's in the FAQ and you will be safe from any punishments regarding false reports.

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
asutton75 wrote:
rolo527 wrote:

Thank you.

If you do a little searching on here you can come up with this...

1. How do I play?
2. How do I Chat in Wizard101?
3. How do I get Text Chat?
4. How do I get Open Chat?
5. How do I get Training Points?
6. What are Realms?
7. My game is Lagging, what can I do to fix this?
8. How do True Friend Codes work?
9. If I quit, will my Wizard be deleted?
10. What happens when I get Reported?
11. What is considered a Reportable Offense?
We appreciate that our players want to make Wizard City the best it can be, and we've placed the tools in your hand to report players for inappropriate behavior. We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use. The old story of “the kid that cried wolf” has a lot of bearing in this situation and we trust that all reports received by players are valid and require support intervention.

12. What is NOT considered a Reportable Offense?
Because false reporting can be construed and/or used as harassment of other players, we’d like to take a moment to ensure you are aware of what does NOT fall under the category of a reportable offense:

“S/he falsely reported me” or reporting someone for false reporting (2 wrongs don’t make a right)

“Won’t leave my house” (pick your friends wisely and avail yourself of the non-porting option)

“Being rude” (We’re sorry, we can’t enforce good manners. Use the ignore button liberally &/or change realms. It’s wholly up to you to choose to stay around someone that’s not nice to you.)

“Chain Stunning” (admittedly, it’s not much fun for the receiving team, but it’s not a violation of the game rules).

“Scamming” (KingsIsle will NEVER ask for treasure card(s) in exchange for a code. Trading “cards for codes” is done at the players’ own risk. Codes are either fully public or one time use)

“Spamming” (Although the Terms of Use mention spamming, it’s related to email/web posts. Yeah, it’s annoying in game and never of profound statement. Refer to “Being Rude”).

You don't need an email saying you made a false report. Read what's in the FAQ and you will be safe from any punishments regarding false reports.

I disagree concerning the need for an email. Since the reports are at times open to interpretation, what may appear as a violation to the player (who follows the information found in the quote above), yet may not be a violation in the eyes of KI. The value system of individuals and geographical areas varies. So that what is unacceptable to some may be totally acceptable to others. If KI deems the report to be false, but does not tell the person who filed the report and the person files another report of the same kind, then KI would see this person as a false reporter and punish the person.

I am now asking – Are those who have made the false report notified by email of their violation based on that one violation?

Prospector Zeke wrote:
When you report someone, or you are reported, a message is sent directly to Mr Lincoln that includes the chat logs of everything that was said before and after that report.

Mr Lincoln then reads the log and assess the situation. He determines how bad the offense was, looks up prior offenses for the reported individual, and based on that assessment he issues sanctions such as muting or banning and sends an email to the offending account explaining the violation and the sanctions.

If the report was falsely made, that is determined as well, and the player who made the false report is investigated as to whether or not they have made previous false reports. False reports are just a egregious as valid ones, and similar sanctions can be levied against repeat offenders of false reporting.

Everything that a player enters into the chat window is logged. These larger chat logs are also routinely checked for those infractions that are not reported.

My original question/query was based on the words:

“If the report was falsely made, that is determined as well, and the player who made the false report is investigated as to whether or not they have made previous false reports. False reports are just a egregious as valid ones, and similar sanctions can be levied against repeat offenders of false reporting.”

It states that an investigation of the person is made. Yet, it appears to state that the person is not informed until a number of violations have occurred under false reporting. To me this appears as an imbalance in how things are governed. The reported person is informed by an email with that one offense, yet the person who is a false reporter will not find out until much later and after a number of violations of the Code of Conduct.

If KI’s decision is against the reporter, that person should be notified as the reported are notified.

These topics listed below are just a few where players have expressed apprehension over reporting and fears of being muted and banned regardless of what Zeke and Professor Greyrose have repeatedly stated.

Topic: Do I report for this?
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/21684.ftl#111723

Topic: false reporters
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/16432.ftl#83437

Topic: does the "report" button do anything?
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/21951.ftl#113273

Would it not be beneficial for all, if KI’s informing of violations was consistent?

Perhaps this would also have an impact of curtailing much of the petty false reporting that is done out of spite.

Talance3 wrote:
Remember that a false report is in itself, something that can get you in trouble.

That means, just like any other action you might take on Wiz 101 that could get you in trouble, KI will send an e-mail to the account registered for your wizard letting you know what you did wrong.

If this is False Reporting, It is reasonable that you will start off with a warning saying something to the effect of: "Such and Such is a false report. Please do not report this activity."

Now if you were spamming the report function, or made a serious false accusation, you might get into serious trouble from the get go, but as a general rule KI will start off by letting you know you did something inappropriate.

Talance3 is this based on an official statement from KI (particularly the third paragraph)? If so, please quote the source. Thank you.