Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Advice for a new player

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 10, 2010
I have read through many topics of this class is the best, no, that class that is better and it goes on and on.

I'm going to be playing with my kids who are 6 and 4, so I am trying to figure out where to get them started so they wont fuss over dying.

And for myself pick up something I could handle things on my own or help them when they need it.

Thanks in advance!

Survivor
May 28, 2009
ok Balance can help make attacks higher and sheild Ice has defenses and low attack with high life Storm has low life and MAJOR atacks Fire has attack over time so you can pile up attacks on themlife has high health and low attacks but can heal great myth has low attacks but does have varios minions to help you and finally death has a sort of low attack but they can attack and half of the damage is given back to them in life form

Hope This Helps

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
Well i have played this game for a while and it seems to me that your sons arent gonna like dying because of what you said. So i would suggest one being ice and maybe another being life and have the ice one back up school be life. I have created an ice wizard and i barely died so i think those school would be good if they arent gonna like dieing.

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
I would suggest developing a Life Wizard for yourself and advancing it quickly on your own to the highest level you can. Then you will be able to save your children when they hit the fizzles and are close to defeat. The attack spells from Life are not as big as other schools, but they are more reliable. The healing and protection spells are the big items.

Your children would be able to have any of the other schools and have fun under your protection. Your children may wish to have Life as the secondary school, so that they are able to assist in healing others and you.

I play two accounts at the same time. To make life easier I use a Life Grandmaster in each account to help the wizards from the other schools survive and advance.

Hope this is helps.

Have fun!!! :) :) :)

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Then I would recommend Death and Life. Death because every other attack spell they learn steals health to heal themselves at the rate of one half of the damage they inflict. Life because of the many heal spells they learn, which can be used on themselves or others. Both of these schools also happens to be the two top accurate (less fizzles) schools.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
I'm also a mom who plays Wizard with kids, although mine are older than yours. We've been playing for over a year and now have two Grandmasters (Death and Balance).

From our own experience, I would avoid Balance and Ice for the kids. Before people jump all over me, I'm not badmouthing those particular schools - I'm just saying they they might frustrate younger kids. My kids started out with those and were a bit frustrated by the weak attacks and slow progress. My son now loves his Balance Grandmaster, but it took him a VERY long time to get to that point. Death might be good for them because they can heal as they attack, and I progressed very quickly through the game with that school myself. Storm is also good, but they might be frustrated by the frequent fizzles.

For yourself, you might consider Life or Death. Either one would be excellent for helping your kids along. Obviously, Life would allow you to heal the kids. Death also has a spell (Sacrifice) which allows you to heal others, plus fairly strong attacks.

I hope this helps! Have a great time playing with the kiddos!

Survivor
Apr 03, 2009
Well, every school has it's Weakness and it's Power.
Life: Many heals, able to heal other wizards, possibly the best choice for familys grouping together. Weakness: Low damage attacks, and not many attacks.
Storm: VERY powerful. Weakness: Low hp and defense.
Fire: Like Storm, but instead of the big 9000 damage attacks, it has DoTs. They use DoTs to attack enemies each turn, with things like fire elf. Weakness: Low health.
Death: Drain attacks, and many traps. Weakness: Attacks are somewhat weak, lower health than ice or life,
Ice: Tons of health and defense, and can also taunt enemies so they will focus on said Ice Wizard. Weakness: Weak attacks.
Balance: Medium-high attacks, many buffs, and 6 traps and shields. Weakness: Not many attacks.

If this is NOT what you were asking for, please tell me and I will try to help your problem.

Hunter UnicornHeart Level 27 life wizard

Mastermind
Jun 25, 2009
IreDawn wrote:
I have read through many topics of this class is the best, no, that class that is better and it goes on and on.

I'm going to be playing with my kids who are 6 and 4, so I am trying to figure out where to get them started so they wont fuss over dying.

And for myself pick up something I could handle things on my own or help them when they need it.

Thanks in advance!

your in luck i am a grandmaster i'll help you if this school doesnt scare your kids choose death this school has spells that damage your foes AND heals you at the same time if your kids are scared of the creatures in death then choose balance because they can win battles FAST!

hunter legendwraith level50 necromancer

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
IreDawn wrote:

Thanks in advance!

For you is easy, go life. You are very easy to set up to go solo, but can easily convert to being the support/healing wizard.

For your kids I really don't think it will matter much. A loss just means you go back to the commons to heal up. But look at what they like, if they are happy with quick kills, go fire (or storm), if they like fun and helping minions, go myth, if they want to feel a little evil, go death, and if they want to play a tank go ice.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
It depends on whether they're going to be playing together most of the time or individually.

The safest school to have a younger child play is Life, since they get a generous amount of health points and can heal themselves and others. It takes a little longer to finish off the enemies, but they won't be defeated ("die", as you put it) as often. Also, the spells are very easy to understand, compared to some other schools.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Life would be ideal to both use as support (healing your kids) or for soloing. I have a Life wizard and soloed almost the entire game with her.

Many people will try to say Life wizards need a secondary school for attacks because of the low damage life does. This is NOT true. Try using training points in death to get the feint spell and then ice to get to tower shield. Also hold back 2 training points for the spirit blades and spirit traps from Niles in krokotopia. The feint and other boosts gives you enough 'fire power' to defeat many of the enemies.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
My best advice is for you and them to take the quiz. It will help you determine what would be the best school for you to start with.

All wizards will die, no matter what level you are and especially in the beginning until you learn how to play, gain more power and skills.

If you don't like the wizard, you have the option of deleting it or starting a new one until you find one that you like.

Defender
Jul 21, 2009
It all depends what you are looking for. If you don't want to die a lot, choose ice. They have high health but battles will take longer becuase of the little damage spells. Ice is good because of the health and is a great offencife school. If you choose fire, it will take a bit of stragity and is a bit more difficult to master. Great at soloing but is better in groups. Storm is the favoried of most people. Even though it has low accuracy and health, the damage it deals is mistifying. In the begining, you will die more then all of the other schools but in the long run, is very powerful. Less stragitic and more of defeat them before they defeat you. Balance is the best soloing school there is. They are good all around and favor the elemental schools, fire, ice, storm. They are not only inportant when running a cheating tower like briskbreeze or the warehouse, but are very usefull when building up a single, very storng attack on someone. They do not boost to anyone but resist to balance and have no schooll specfic blades, traps, or shields. Myth is good with pvp and over coming enemies that like to shield a lot. They have spells that do double damage and get a one of a kind spell that doesn't do much damage, but gets rid of all enemy blades, traps, and shields. They are no better at soloing then in groups. Death is a strong school that is great with pvp and soloing. Not only do they get a healing card but the most comon used spells replinish you health. It is important to do more big hits then less smaller hits. They are great at both soloing and adding to the damage done by a group but have lots of enemies that resist to them. Life is great at supporting a group and is extreamly important to have one when a group of nonhard core gamers traverse a hard dungeon or cheating tower. They are ok soloers if you know what your doing and are the only school that has lots of healing cards. The spell seraph is the only AOE (attack all enemies) spell and is not good when battling hard bosses. It's better then nothing. Life is a good school to choose for a more experienced player and as a second character. It intruduces a completly different stragity to game play with makes the player all the more experienced, faster. It is also import that when after you choose a school, you pick an approite second school. It may seem good in the beggining but most will be useless in the long run. If you are not life or death, choose life as your second school. If you are life, choose death as your second school. If you are death, choose life as your second school. IMPORTANT, READ WHAT FOLLOWS. Make sure you skip the last two spells of your second school and go to the balance tree in Krokotopia and buy your trap and blade card according to the school you are in. Balance does not pertain to this. They get both cards free when at appropreate level. Also, what ever you do, do not choose a third school untill you can go to Celestia. In Celestia, there are three more schools you can choose from that boost the spells you already have. Choose one of those three, star, sun, or moon, as your third school. Also make sure you find all the secret trainers through out the spirial. They can supply additional spells that can be very useful. There is one in collossus boluvard, the tree on the night side, the tree outside the Krokosphinx, one off of digmore station, and for myth people, one on the roof of the building that you get to by use of the teleporter in the oasis. It is activated every half an hour or so. Do all your quests becuause they might help you get into areas needed to complete a spell quest for your school. Doing this will make the game as easy as posiable.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Through the power of fire, nothing is beyond my reach.
Scot Thorn

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
It depends on what kind of person they are. If they're impatient, choose Storm (most effective attacks in the game) or Death (very effective attacks). If they want to wear down the enemy, choose Fire (lingering attacks). If they want a lot of life, choose Ice (highest amount of life in the game). If they want to heal, choose Life (has most of the healing spells in the game). If they like monsters, choose Myth (can summon monsters to aid them in battle earlier). I strongly recommend not choosing Balance until their second or third wizard. I think a good school for parents is Life (so you can heal your kids) or Ice (so if your kids are defeated, they'll port back to you since it'll probably be a while till you are defeated). Hope I helped.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2009
I would personally make yourself life with a secondary of storm. The kids can be what they want, I recommend Ice and life.