Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Not drawing new cards

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 09, 2010
ok so i got on to play today and when i got in my first fight i drew all cards that i could not use for lack of pips so i passed on that round wanting to draw new cards i could use and when my time came to choose my attack the next round i had the exact same cards in the exact order so i passed again and had the same cards in the same order again. finally i got enough pips to use a card and did so and only got one new card at the front of my deck. i was eventually defeated because i could not get a card to heal with so i went onto another fight and the same thing happened again.

What can i do to fix this problem...i used to draw new cards every round but now i only get a different card if i use one and in that case i only get on new card

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
You can discard a card you are not likely to use, or a card that you have extras of and then pass after discarding. This way, you will get one new card in your hand for every card discarded.

Keeping your card count low in your deck to begin with is a good way to remain efficient and have a better chance of getting something you can use for each round. For example, with my death wizard, I figured out which boosts I needed to go with vampire in order to defeat the enemy. I needed one 40% blade, one 30% trap, and then vampire. So, in my deck I put 4 blades, 4 traps, and 4 vampires. That's it. I have extra attack cards in my treasure card deck just in case, and I have my wand spells plus a couple other attack cards that came with my clothes. I usually delete these clothes cards as soon as they come up, because they are off-school attacks and I rarely use them. I usually delete wand blasts (leaving one or two) as they come up. This makes for a very efficient fight. I almost always end up with a card that I can cast each round. If I get a blade, I cast that. Next round, if it's a trap, I cast that. By that time, I have my boosts all in place, and I have enough pips to cast vampire which kills the enemy. Keep your card count low, and stay effiecient. It makes no sense to have tons of cards in there when only a few will get the job done, and done quickly.

Another tip for getting a card you will need early on is to put more of them in your deck than any other type of card. For example, if I need to use converts on an enemy, I will put the max amount of them in my deck. Then, Once I have used all the converts I need to, I delete them as the extras come up.

Cat

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Your deck doesn't re-choose after each turn. If you pass, you're going to have the exact same cards that you had the previous turn. Cards are only replaced as they are used or discarded.

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
CatSydsMom wrote:
You can discard a card you are not likely to use, or a card that you have extras of and then pass after discarding. This way, you will get one new card in your hand for every card discarded.

Keeping your card count low in your deck to begin with is a good way to remain efficient and have a better chance of getting something you can use for each round. For example, with my death wizard, I figured out which boosts I needed to go with vampire in order to defeat the enemy. I needed one 40% blade, one 30% trap, and then vampire. So, in my deck I put 4 blades, 4 traps, and 4 vampires. That's it. I have extra attack cards in my treasure card deck just in case, and I have my wand spells plus a couple other attack cards that came with my clothes. I usually delete these clothes cards as soon as they come up, because they are off-school attacks and I rarely use them. I usually delete wand blasts (leaving one or two) as they come up. This makes for a very efficient fight. I almost always end up with a card that I can cast each round. If I get a blade, I cast that. Next round, if it's a trap, I cast that. By that time, I have my boosts all in place, and I have enough pips to cast vampire which kills the enemy. Keep your card count low, and stay effiecient. It makes no sense to have tons of cards in there when only a few will get the job done, and done quickly.

Another tip for getting a card you will need early on is to put more of them in your deck than any other type of card. For example, if I need to use converts on an enemy, I will put the max amount of them in my deck. Then, Once I have used all the converts I need to, I delete them as the extras come up.

Cat

Sounds like vampire spamming, Which is not a bad thing if it will win a fight for you, but Death has a lot of other cool spells, don't you get sick of using vampire over, and over, and over?

I am sorry but that will bore me. But if you like using a smaller deck, I think 2 of each spell, except death sprite( it does not do enough damage in the higher level zones) would be sufficient enough, with traps and blades, that way you can save your Tcards, and not spend a fortune re-suppling Tcards all the time.

Have an opposite wand. Death? Pick up a Life wand, so if you need to break a weakness you do not use a death trap up, unless you have Feint on it. then obviously the wand will break it. But this is the way I would play a Small deck, people do it differently.

As far as your Deck not re-supplying its self? You have to Click on the choice of cards to discard it, not the Draw tab. The Draw tab is for Tcards. I found this out later in the game, that clicking on a card in your hand you can discard the card you do not want to use. Next round the card or cards you clicked on to discard? A new card will be in it's place.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
Drifter, I DO use the opposite school wand. I just very rarely need all 7 wand blasts in my deck, so I discard all but a few to get a better chance of getting the spells I need.

As for Vampire getting boring, well yes, it does. That is one drawback. However, I find long fights much more boring than using the same card over and over. Since, in this case, Vampire is the most efficient at killing the enemies the fastest, that's what I use. For me, it's about efficiency not variety. It's not for everyone, but it is certainly effective.

Cat

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
CatSydsMom wrote:
Drifter, I DO use the opposite school wand. I just very rarely need all 7 wand blasts in my deck, so I discard all but a few to get a better chance of getting the spells I need.

As for Vampire getting boring, well yes, it does. That is one drawback. However, I find long fights much more boring than using the same card over and over. Since, in this case, Vampire is the most efficient at killing the enemies the fastest, that's what I use. For me, it's about efficiency not variety. It's not for everyone, but it is certainly effective.

Cat

Well it goes by how a player wants to play their hand. I am not saying it is a bad thing that the only spell you use is vampire, but for me, If I decide on a School, I would like to try all the spells you can unlock, because if you get used to how one spell works, You will only know one way of how your Wizard plays.

What if your vampire doesn't show when you really need it to, but some other spell pops up, do you Pass, and pass til you get the vampire?

See if you get in a duel, with a group of Wizards, and their play style is different then what you are use to. How can you be an important aspect of the group if you only know how one spell works, effectively?

Not downing your judgement, just saying, wouldn't you like to learn all spells of your School of focus? Being a Death Wizard, and the Death focus, instead of being predictable in groups?

Me, if I am life I want to know all about the offence, and defence of Life Focus, not just waiting for PiPs to spam Centaur all the time. If your style works for you then run with it, and be the best Dag-gone Death Wiz out there. The choice is realy yours, this is just my opinion.

Goodluck and happy gaming ;-)