Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Problem with Power Play???

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 02, 2008
My wife had a Power Play treasure card of +45%.

My Power Pips percent is at 52%.

That means combined I was at 97%.

But I went through the entire battle not getting a single power pip, that's a dozen or so pips with a 97% chance, and not a one made the 97% chance.

Seems like a bug.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2008
Survivor
Aug 02, 2008
It was used during the battle.

Put up the big ring and all.

But never once during that battle did I receive a Power Pip.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2008
wizfan2 wrote:
It was used during the battle.

Put up the big ring and all.

But never once during that battle did I receive a Power Pip.

I can sympathize with you. I just got this card from my school, balance, at lvl 22. It took four pips to cast, after which, I never got one single power pip the rest of the battle. I removed the card from my deck, because I see no point in wasting four pips on a spell that doesn't benefit me in battle. My minion only takes three pips to summon and he will transfer pips to me. Making him much more valuable than the power play.

Survivor
May 28, 2008
I agree. It's not working. I've used it in the arena, and nobody seemed to get any more power pips than they usually do.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2008
I used it once, i didn't get any powerpip, the player that was in the second slot seemed to get more powerpips, but still not what it could/should have been. So it's out of my deck too.
I have been in games where others casted it and then it seemed to work fine, but then again i don't know what their powerpip chance was.
The whole powerpip calculation is bugged. In some fights, and i'll keep track from now on to see how many times it happens, i will get zero power pips, except for the one that comes with my sword. Other times i will get a too low chance, as if my upgrades don't work, only what i got from the level. In any way the power pips given is not what it should be at all.
In most of the fights however, the powerpip chance works fine. So i'm still not sure what triggers the wrong case.
In instance areas it gets worse. I have done big ben may times and i noticed that when i don't get power pips on the first and second floor, it will stay like that until i leave and re-enter the instance. Believe me, i did the first 14 floors and got no power pips. I got defeated on the 15th floor, ran back and then i got the powerpips like i should have.

It would mean a lot to us, or to me at least, if we could get a logfile of the fight where we can see what calculations were used for each round. But my guess is that it's calculated at the start of the fight, when you enter the ring, and it doesn't change from then on. If for some reason the program thinks you have a 5% chance of powerpips instead of 55%, it will stay like that untill the fight is over.

If you're with a friend in an instance level and you're not getting power pips, leave and re-enter. Then it should work fine.
If you don't get any powerpips, don't bother to use powerplay.

Community Leader
I have 43% power pip chance from gear, and I went through a fight with a 5,000 health monster in Crimson Fields and got a power pip only twice. The fight took SO LONG without power pips. I was wondering if the monsters there were suppressing power pips, somehow.

Maybe it's something similar with you?

Defender
Aug 20, 2008
My cyclops minion casts this spell occasionally, and it annoys me because it's a waste of four pips that could have cast something useful.

I spent a training point on it because I have a Myth/Balance wizard. I would have skipped it if I could, but game mechanics force you to buy every spell in order. I had to buy Power Play so that I would be able to purchase the Balance spell I REALLY wanted the next time I got a training point. I never put it in my deck.

Survivor
Oct 14, 2008
I agree. When I got power play (Fortunately, I'm a balance wizard, so it didn't waste any training points) I was so exited. I used it on a 2,000 HP person, and I died. Didn't get a single power pip. It was gone a few minutes later. I only had a 20% power pip percentage without it, but still, 55%? Not a single power pip? (Well, I might have gotten one or two, but less that I normally get)

Explorer
Oct 16, 2008
I don't believe that it's an added 45% but rather I think it is something like: you have 10%, the card is in play, so 10*.45 (45% is .45)=4.5, they truncate, so 4, added to your original 10=14 total percent chance.

Survivor
Oct 14, 2008
Nope. It's 'Plus 35 (Or 45 for a treasure card)% power pip chance'
So even so, with your idea, it would still have a 77% chance of a power pip.

Explorer
Oct 16, 2008
Never the less, 35% of 10 is still 3.5, and since they truncate that becomes 3. So adding 35% of 10 to 10 is 13.

Survivor
Oct 14, 2008
Yes, but he was adding 45% to 52%, so even using that would make 77% chance, so roughly 3/4 of his pips should have been power pips.

Explorer
Oct 16, 2008
Not quite, it isn't a guarantee, for example, if you flip a coin 100 times, your logic states it'll come up heads 50 times and tails 50 times. During an experiment though we found that different groups had different odds, my group for example never came up heads. So if heads is having a pip be a power pip instead then my group's odds would state that with a 50% chance you would still get zero, on the other hand if tails was getting a power pip then my group's odds state that you would always get a power pip. With a psuedo-random number generator that is likely used for this it does something along two lines. In either case it 'seeds' the generator, usually with the time, so that it can come up with a unique token/number. The first line that they could use is that it picks a number from 1-100, if it comes up with 80 then you need 80% to get the pip. The second way is it takes and subtracts your percent from 100, so once again with 80% as the example, you would then have 20, it would then pick a number and if it was, for example, 20 then it would be a pip. It's like rolling a die, if you roll a six sided die in hopes of getting a four, you have a 16% chance of getting it. If you rolled a four sided die you would have a 25% chance of getting it, but that is no guarantee either way.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2008
thats really weird i guess they fixed it cause i got 3 power pips against a magma man with a 12% chance and ive gotten like 7 of em over all and im lvl 12

Survivor
Aug 27, 2008
I find it very useful in a duel. Though now that you think about. At level46, right away i started off with 2 power pips. So i casted PowerPlay because it was a good thought.

In most duels i use Judgement so the more PowerPips the better..
I barely got any.. Maybe 2 but my chance are atleast 90%+ (no sure off the top of my head)..

Now.. i've seen players respond to this but is it possible to get a Professor's opinion?

That way we can figure out if its a bug or not..

Survivor
Oct 14, 2008
So, you're stating that even with increased odds, the percent of power pips should decrease?

Many people have found this bug- If you flip a coin ten times, and they are all tails, it's not so impressive. But, if you flip a coin a hundred, or ten hundred times, and they're all tails, then that's impressive. Many have found this glitch, and they all got less than they got before. It would take a large amount of chance to get no pips at 97% chance. You made an experiment with 50% chance. I did an experiment, with a glitch, at about 85% chance of getting the desired result. I got not a single one afterwards. The creator did an experiment at 97%, and got not a single one.

The odds are against.

Like, say you flip a 100 sided coin, with 97 of the sides being tails, and 3 of them being heads. The odds that you will land on heads are small, smaller still if it's several times.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
Quote from support:

Hello there,

I wanted to let you know that we are aware of this issue and are working on a fix. The spell cards and the math that goes into them are more complicated when it comes to implementing in the game, so patience, we will let you guys know in the update notes when we get this fixed.

Thank you,
Mr. Lincoln
Ravenwood School of Magical Arts

Administrator
Fear not my precious snowflakes.

Nolan Stormgate has discovered a glitch with the Power Play spells. Seems the original components to create the spell were not added in the correct order!

He is brewing up a new Power Play spell that will successfully add to your chance of gaining a power pip. I'll let you know when he has finished, it's a delicate process!

Thank you all for your feedback on this issue.
~Professor Greyrose

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Jan 20, 2009
ROFL I love all this wizard talk "He is brewing up a new Power Play spell" LOL