Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Level 48 Pet Combination Question

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
I went on my Grandmaster myth character and hatched Orthrus with my Grandmaster Balance's Hydra. The egg I got was a Chimerical egg which said Myth school only. Does this mean I will just get another Orthrus? Because a few days ago, I created an egg with my Hydra and my brother's Helephant pet. The egg said balance school and it was a symmetrical egg (balance egg). When it hatched, I was incredibly disappointed to see it was another Hydra. Can I still hope for a new combination, or am I doomed to getting another repeat? I spent virtually all of my money gained from farming bosses, so I'll be very unhappy if that's the case.

Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
Well, my pet hatched and it was a repeat of my Orthrus. I guess if the egg in your pack says ( ) school only, it is the same pet. This is getting really frustrating because even though they lowered the price, 50,000 coins is still a large price to pay for a repeat. Does anyone know what the chances of getting a new hybrid pet are?

Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
Well even after these first two disappointments I am trying again to hatch a hybrid pet. I found a grandmaster wizard with stormzilla, so I hatched Orthrus with it. The egg I got was again a chimerical egg (myth egg) that said myth school only. If this again turns out to be Orthrus, I can be pretty sure that a school egg only will be a repeat of your pet. I guess I have to keep trying, but I really wish a hybrid would be the outcome more often. Does anyone know what the chance of getting a new pet is?

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
As far as I've seen on the pet mixing forum at wizard101 central, the odds of breeding are equally balanced.

(25% your pet, 25% their pet, 25% their hybrid, 25% your hybrid)
see http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86061 for more info.

I'm going to assume that means that they are using the standard Punnett square. That means you should see a hybrid at least once in 3 tries.

Survivor
Feb 18, 2010
Um well I did the same thing, my friend. I hatched a stormzilla with an orthrus and I was not happy to find out it was another stormzilla. But what you need to no is that your pet needs to go in first and then you will get the pet. So if you hatch a hydra with an orthrus if you want it to turn out with a hydra card put the hydra in first but if you want it to turn out with an orthrus card put the orthrus first. You always need to put the pet in first if you want it to take after the appearence. And you have a 50 percent chance of hatching and on the first time it doesnt work mostly but on the second time it does as long as its the same pet. So then my second time hatching I got a mythzilla! If this helps read this I found a video on youtube but I cant find it anymore but anywho...
http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59967&page=22

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
I could of sworn they made it so you never got the other person's school pet.

Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
As of far, I have unsuccessfully tried to hatch a hybrid 48 pet 5 times. My brother has also tried 5 times. My other brother just tried hatching for the first time and got a hybrid pet. I'm sure they do use a Punnet Square or something along the lines of it to determine the type of pet that is hatched, but I just think it's so strange that I've been unsuccessful 5 times now. I've put so much time into getting all the gold necessary for hatching that I wish it would just give me a break and give me the pet.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
i feel ya i tried hatching my wraith sixth times i fail everytime and get another wraith but my hatch partener get the mix pet. it is awful i wish hatching good would occur everytime . i spent many coins and this and get very little in return.
LedZepHead wrote:
As of far, I have unsuccessfully tried to hatch a hybrid 48 pet 5 times. My brother has also tried 5 times. My other brother just tried hatching for the first time and got a hybrid pet. I'm sure they do use a Punnet Square or something along the lines of it to determine the type of pet that is hatched, but I just think it's so strange that I've been unsuccessful 5 times now. I've put so much time into getting all the gold necessary for hatching that I wish it would just give me a break and give me the pet.

Survivor
May 16, 2009
Well my first time i tried with a stormzilla and my satyr I got a stormdancer :D the second time got firewalker :D the third time got satyr for my death :P

Survivor
May 12, 2010
lucky7777777 wrote:
Well my first time i tried with a stormzilla and my satyr I got a stormdancer :D the second time got firewalker :D the third time got satyr for my death :P
awesome i tried eleven times for one and still didnt get it i got like five lifezilla and six stormzilla who went first when you hatched please tell me