Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP Changes

AuthorMessage
Player vs Player
In the next few days we will be implementing a temporary solution to the problem of chain stunning in the Player vs Player Arena. When a player is stunned, four Stun Shields will appear instead of one. Please note this is only a temporary solution while we investigate other ways to resolve the issue of chain stunning in the Arena.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Explorer
Oct 22, 2009
Can you also look into adjusting the points system?

I have a level 5 Fire commander with full gear, and I fight up to level 27 wizards, which i win most of them.

My gripe is that I only win 3-6 points with those level wizards, but lose 25 points when i lose to a level 25?? And BTW, i use no treasures, so i cant be penalized for that.

I just got out of a match and beat a level 27 fire. Won 1 point!!!!

One loss equals 7 wins?? Hmm.

Explorer
Dec 19, 2008
Fixables wrote:

I have a level 5 Fire commander with full gear, and I fight up to level 27 wizards, which i win most of them.

My gripe is that I only win 3-6 points with those level wizards, but lose 25 points when i lose to a level 25?? And BTW, i use no treasures, so i cant be penalized for that.

Maybe because of your gear, with that you have a good resist and and some good buffs. and your a commander. besides dat i dont know. are the people you fight pravite are lower then your rank

Survivor
Jul 13, 2009
I believe the point system is slightly messed up. When I was level 30, I was ranked Veteran. When I won matches, I gained no more than 10 points. Sometimes as low as 2 points. My problem though is that everything and again I would be put up against a Private. But a Private that was a Grandmaster. Once I got stomped, I lost up to 30 points. I think this isn't fair at all. My chances of winning were extremely low, yet I was penalized so drastically.

Could something be done about this?

~~Brian, level 50 Ice wizard

Explorer
Oct 22, 2009
Some of them are Private Rank, but seeing that I have no shields yet, I am at a disadvantage from the start.

There should be a correction somewhere, at least for the points. How can I be penalized that much for losing to a level 25 or higher? The rule should be only fighting wizards 2 categories higher than you (ie) Apprentice to fight no higher than a journeyman.

I finally got my 5 fire to warlord, but with the help of a friend (helped me with the final 3 matches). Now I am scared to find out what I am gonna be paired up with now? Magus wizards? Come on!

Defender
Jun 03, 2009
Seen and tried the new option not to impressed with it. All the other team has to do is ask a friend to whisper what the your team is saying or planning. Also whats up with all the bugs in arena now we had to kill the same guy four times he kept coming back from the dead. This has happened in several ranked matches not just one. Please fix these bug soon. I have also seen FULL heals and heals of 1500 to 2400 without any kind of heal boost on either player
with a five pip dryad that should have healed at 1125 I hit the same player who was doing the healing with infection and he used a satry that healed with 3 pips at 1050 so yeah they fixed chain stunning but look what we got in return? it stinks

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Survivor
Jun 03, 2010
ProspectorZeke wrote:
Player vs Player
In the next few days we will be implementing a temporary solution to the problem of chain stunning in the Player vs Player Arena. When a player is stunned, four Stun Shields will appear instead of one. Please note this is only a temporary solution while we investigate other ways to resolve the issue of chain stunning in the Arena.

well we have a problem, you may of thought this would solve but some people have found a way around it, like for say as an example, stunning with blinding light, choke or what ever, then hitting with an earthquake, then a storm lord, then another quake, then choke, and just repeating that process, i was wondering if there was any way you could help to solve that, 4v4 ranked pvp fights are pretty much in trouble till that is fixed, to many people are getting high pvp ranks and are cheating to get it and it's honestly not fair.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2010
Fixables wrote:

if you have a level 5 commander with full gear, my question is how were you able to get it. there is no possible way to get it, unless you are on a team, 1v1 you would not stand a chance unless you used treasures

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
ProspectorZeke wrote:
Player vs Player
i got a good one, when some one gets chain stuned, to times in a row, they stuned team should get the win not the chaining team

Survivor
Sep 05, 2009
All the stuff posted in here makes sense, but does not address the core issue of the game. There are numerous problems which must be addressed (but I doubt that KI will fix them--just too many).

Here they are:

Wildbolt -- wholey inappropriate spell. Even if you assume that damage scales as casting chance reduces it does not work.
For example if you assume that storms average per pip is 140 plus a scale damage for reduced casting (assume linear scale for now) that puts an additional 60 points (base 70% chance for storm minus 10% chance on wildbolt). This equates to 200 points per pip. Since wildbolt is a 2 pip spell it should do max 400 points. And if you assume a more geometric scaling it doesnt work well for other schools--remember the same rules should be applicable to all schools.

Beguile -- this spell is just broken. I'd rather have a stun spell for 2 pips that a 3 pip spell that sometimes catches an opponent who just happens to cast a mass target spell--please. Not to mention that it doesn't work on computer opponents. This spell should not be visible to the opponent and if a single target spell is selected it affects the diametrically opposed target--this solves most if not all cases and makes the spell truly interesting (and worth 3 pips).

Going first vs Going second -- so many spells don't work because the players going first get to select their spell based on what just happened--classic example is beguile, but dispels don't really work well. Additionaly it makes stunning very potent for the first team. Solution is to alternate the turn sequence by oscillating clockwise to the last player, then counterclockwise back to the first, and so on.

There are others but thats enough for now.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2009
hey i think the beguile spell should be banned in pvp.
its really annoying. our frost giant got turned against us! i srsly think they should be banned

Explorer
Mar 01, 2009
crs0zero, nice post! I like the ideas so I will build on them with my own thoughts and hope KingsIsle takes notes for future.

Wildbolt: Like most other spells, it should have a damage range. Say, 700-1000?? From a web site: Voltage in a cloud-to-ground strike is 100 million to 1 billion volts. So real lightning strikes have a range in volts and both still would hurt!

Beguile: AWESOME idea If I cast Beguile on one of my opponents, the opposing team does not know immediately whom it was cast on, they only know I cast it. However, during the next round when selecting spells it can be determined. This and all other cards DO NOT need banned, stop suggesting that (to those that do)

Who goes first?: I did suggest alternating back and forth from team to team awhile back, but any change here would be difficult to add

Survivor
Apr 01, 2010
crs0zero wrote:
All the stuff posted in here makes sense, but does not address the core issue of the game. There are numerous problems which must be addressed (but I doubt that KI will fix them--just too many).

Here they are:

Wildbolt -- wholey inappropriate spell. Even if you assume that damage scales as casting chance reduces it does not work.
For example if you assume that storms average per pip is 140 plus a scale damage for reduced casting (assume linear scale for now) that puts an additional 60 points (base 70% chance for storm minus 10% chance on wildbolt). This equates to 200 points per pip. Since wildbolt is a 2 pip spell it should do max 400 points. And if you assume a more geometric scaling it doesnt work well for other schools--remember the same rules should be applicable to all schools.

Beguile -- this spell is just broken. I'd rather have a stun spell for 2 pips that a 3 pip spell that sometimes catches an opponent who just happens to cast a mass target spell--please. Not to mention that it doesn't work on computer opponents. This spell should not be visible to the opponent and if a single target spell is selected it affects the diametrically opposed target--this solves most if not all cases and makes the spell truly interesting (and worth 3 pips).

Going first vs Going second -- so many spells don't work because the players going first get to select their spell based on what just happened--classic example is beguile, but dispels don't really work well. Additionaly it makes stunning very potent for the first team. Solution is to alternate the turn sequence by oscillating clockwise to the last player, then counterclockwise back to the first, and so on.

get over it wildbolt doesnt work often and its cause we have low health on storm

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I have been waiting to join ANY match for 3 hours now. Earlier I waited an hour to join a ranked 3v3 match, which my team then lost to chain stunning and earthquake followed by multiple storm lords. It was not cool to wait for so long only to lose to poor pvp manners.

What's going on here? I just got interested in pvp, but I don't have the time to sit around and wait forever and then lose to cheaters. What a drag.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2009
i think you should have people battle ranked battles against their rank level like privates fight privates that are about their level.

Survivor
May 11, 2010
Prospector Zeke wrote:
Player vs Player
Plz make it for pvp only , cause one day i thought hmm ill make a ice. So i made one and what do you know, when i stunned the lost soul it put up four stun shields :-o plz make it for pvp only. P.S. it doesnt help because know people just use a earthquake and bye bye stun shield.

Survivor
May 11, 2010
princesscallie12 wrote:
crs0zero wrote:

Here they are:

get over it wildbolt doesnt work often and its cause we have low health on storm
But a storm with full 50 gear gets 15 percent accuracy boost turning into 25% then if you tresure it it will add at least 10% more, 35% and if you still say nah that small when you treasure remember the tutorial tip for when your small " Dont worry if your treasure card fizzled it will return to your spell deck, " you can boost and keep trying until it hits all of the sudden your dead.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
I agree with Fixables on my level ten balence, I won a match and got 7 points, and when i lost a match against a level 9 ice i lost about 30 taking me down a rank! what the heck! you guys really need to fix this problem or i'm going to delete my wizard 101 account.

Survivor
Feb 09, 2009
they should add the abaility to add a fun rules like no shields and use no heals and like super damage and health multiplyer same with mana and cause like 50,000 damage and still be like 500 without multiplyer and choose your own field beguile and dispel should not be banned. and have stuff like that and also have a fight offensives only no blades and no traps that would be challengeing. plus make your own fights in stead of having to do QUICK JOIN! which is not that fun at all.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
tuor88 wrote:
Fixables wrote:

yes low level pvp is currently not awarding points the way it should be, or was just before the pet update. in my opinion it needs to be fixed.

if you have a level 5 commander with full gear, my question is how were you able to get it. there is no possible way to get it, unless you are on a team, 1v1 you would not stand a chance unless you used treasures

you would be surprised what you can do with a low level wizard, even without treasures ;) i run a couple of lower level wizards, starting at level 15 to 36 in ranked, and they are doing quite well, now if we just would get our points accordingly

Survivor
Mar 01, 2010
yea i have the same prob about the pvp point winnings losings i would like them to be change back to the way it was i won 80 times and lost 32 times and i'm only vet its because when i win i get 5-9 points and when i lose i lose up to 20-29 points this makes me just wanna stop playing this game i just want things to go back to the way it was a random winnings and losings or atleast fair bcuz most ppl rank down to private and beat 20-29 points out of every one they fight ....... oh and whats the odds of myth being 1st in a 1v1 i hardly get 1st go its like its not even random any more :( :( :( :( :( ........ plz fix these problems

Survivor
May 01, 2010
Okay, I really do like PvP arena matches. I think it is fun to duel other wizards instead of always the enemies King Isle creates. But there IS something wrong, involving language.

When I duel other wizards, I am a good sport. When I lose, I either say '' Good job'' or something like that. Or either I say nothing and leave. When I win, I say something like '' Great job, though you might have to work on your tecknique'' or '' Better luck next time. No pressure though.'' Or I dont say anything at all. I am a good example and a good role model, even in school, and I think more people should follow what I do.

Once when I was doing PvP and I lost, the winning team was saying '' NOOBS'' or a bad word which I will not, absoulutely not say. I wanted to fight back. But I just couldn't use those harsh words against them. I felt like I wanted to cry. Was I really that bad of a person?

I reported them anyway, every single one of them. I knew the guys on my team felt bad too. I tried to tell them it was okay and those guys were just bullies, but they just left me. I feel really bad for those guys. They didn't do anything wrong.

Honestly, I regret that day. I regret doing a PvP with those guys and reporting them for saying bad words and putting my account at risk.

I really hope King Isle fixes this. This story is why I havent done a PvP arena match since then.

Well anyway I love Wizard101, and this is Autumn FireEyes almost Grand signing off ;)

Survivor
Oct 19, 2010
Prospector Zeke wrote:
Player vs Player
Really the only way pvp will be fixed is if the tresure card became lvl restriceted. honestly i guily of doing it my self. get my and and buy lvl 45+ spell cards for my noob to own all. It is a bit rediculous watching a lvl 6 have polly morph wraith spell to total doimate in pvp matches. So if you want to be good at pvp i suguest lvlin a toon to 60 and farm until u hit your money cap then buy all the tresure cards you can and farm as well. You to will be good at pvp. It not a matter of skill it who has the best treasure card and luck of the draw. That just my opinion but it pretty much the true.

Explorer
Oct 22, 2009
tuor88 wrote:
Fixables wrote:

Sorry, have not been on the Message Boards forever.

A level 5 can get full gear without Treasuring. I am proof of that.

Good strategy and only getting paired up with mid 20 wizards help also. My school combination has helped a lot also. I am fire (to break shields with elf, and death to ghoul for hitting and healing), plus fire gets their Fire Blade early. A friend of mine used the same combo as me when he saw my success and he is a commander with full gear now as well. And BTW, all my matches are 1v1 in Ranked.